Why doesnt valve create left 4 dead 3?

220VoltsallCore

its selling a lot and will make a lot of money for them if the same game is released with better graphics

can other companies make a new game just by taking special infected from lfd2? they needed permission from valve?

back4blood special infected is way too bad, i would have liked it if they were original si

valve makes moeny not making games so why make a game? only thing they will make is ways to sell more games on other devices like vr and os and handheld.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

valve makes moeny not making games so why make a game? only thing they will make is ways to sell more games on other devices like vr and os and handheld.

but they updated cs2 which is just free

2 minutes ago, 220VoltsallCore said:

but they updated cs2 which is just free

They make a ton of money off of skins and tournament deals for CS:2, not with L4D. Their motivation for CS:2 was most of the pro/higher ranked players were having a ton of legitimate criticism about the game that needed to be fixed or they'll move to something like Valorant. That isn't something happening with L4D.

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They make a ton of money off of skins and tournament deals for CS:2, not with L4D. Their motivation for CS:2 was most of the pro/higher ranked players were having a ton of legitimate criticism about the game that needed to be fixed or they'll move to something like Valorant. That isn't something happening with L4D.

more than if they sold lfd3 for 100$?

Just now, 220VoltsallCore said:

more than if they sold lfd3 for 100$?

Especially then. Who in their right mind would pay $100 for a L4D game? Not me and I bet I am not alone.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Especially then. Who in their right mind would pay $100 for a L4D game? Not me and I bet I am not alone.

can other companies make a new game just by taking special infected from lfd2? they needed permission from valve?

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

I'm still playing L4D2 with some buddies. The only thing we would like from a L4D3 is to have the engine moved to 64-bit to allow better freedom with mods. Right now because of the limitations of 32-bit, running out of memory with mods is a common occurrence. The amount of index out of bounds crashes... 

13 minutes ago, 220VoltsallCore said:

Yes, it's all copyrighted game assets. Also, with how new games are based around micro-transactions and cash shops, just leave L4D as is. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm still playing L4D2 with some buddies. The only thing we would like from a L4D2 is to have the engine moved to 64-bit to allow better freedom with mods. Right now because of the limitations of 32-bit, running out of memory with mods is a common occurrence. The amount of index out of bounds crashes... 

Yes, it's all copyrighted game assets. Also, with how new games are based around micro-transactions and cash shops, just leave L4D as is. 

but i seen back4blood and worldwarz use a variant of chargers and spitters

its annoying because they even copyright a smoker instead of letting other developers use it

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm still playing L4D2 with some buddies. The only thing we would like from a L4D2 is to have the engine moved to 64-bit to allow better freedom with mods. Right now because of the limitations of 32-bit, running out of memory with mods is a common occurrence. The amount of index out of bounds crashes... 

yes community there to new maps, they need to increase graphics and limitations

would like a petetion against valve lol

Look at some Valve documentaries and how they make games. Look how they made HL Alyx for example. They scraped almost the whole game about 1month or 2months before it was supposed to be ready to release and then remade it differently. There is basically nobody else that would do it even if they could afford it. Valve just don't seem to care as long as the final result is good.

Right now DOTA 2 and CS:2 is their cash cow and they do a lot of development for Steam Deck.

I doubt they don't work on anything else in the background but they also don't tend to say anything unless they are ready to talk about it... even if it takes many years.

2 hours ago, 220VoltsallCore said:

its selling a lot and will make a lot of money for them if the same game is released with better graphics

back4blood special infected is way too bad, i would have liked it if they were original si

Because L4D was not making them much money at all. L4D2 Flopped super hard due to various factors but at the end of the day, zombie genre games are done being interesting. They have been done so many times with so many different types that people are just not interested in them anymore. When there is very little demand from consumers, there is no point. 

Some of the original devs of L4D and L4D2 made that game back4Blood, and you mentioned how awful it was. Just because you can does not mean you should, when a game has been tried now three times and has failed, its time to say that type and genre of game will never succeed. 

Pretend we're Valve, give US a reason why L4D3 should exist.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Aside from the reasons above, mainly these:

- No 3s in the game name

- Having other revenue streams

- Having their focus elsewhere

Valve seems to care a lot about the games they make. From what we managed to learn over the many years of the company's lifespan, we know there's been countless projects that we, as consumers, may think were good, or just sounded great on paper, but Valve, for one reason or the other, scrapped entirely, never to be seen by the public.

I don't think they're necessarily overly perfectionist, but they definitely care about a variety of merits for a product to ever see the light of day. Some of the talks about Half-Life 3 coming from Valve or its former employees revealed that (at the time) nobody had an idea good enough for for this third installment to happen - like it just wouldn't be worth of being the threequel in a beloved franchise, either not having an interesting or sensible enough plot, not offering fresh gameplay and mechanics, or both.

I may be wrong on this, but the documentaries on making Left 4 Dead 2 also had a lot of mentions of the game almost getting scrapped because the team was worried that the game wouldn't offer enough new and fresh stuff.

Valve is just that careful about their image it seems - they almost never reveal anything outside their own curated events, and they don't release games that don't have the quality standard that only Valve can describe, apparently.

Seeing how money and investor pressure aren't of any concern, because they got the money and the means to make more and the plans to expand into handhelds and VR further, and they're a private company that only they themselves hold accountable, they're at liberty of throwing money at projects they care about and want to offer something innovative, fresh, and unique, and of quality at that, it seems, - all that combined, Valve isn't making Left 4 Dead 3 unless they come up with some ways to really freshen the zombie shooter formula and wrap it in a plot that would be worth the product.

I'm parroting what most have said already. Valve fosters creativity and innovation. The company has a flat structure; developers have complete freedom to work on what they want and are expected to exercise that freedom. That freedom comes with the responsibility to do what they believe is suitable for the player. If releasing another Left 4 Dead game does not sound creatively enticing or innovative to them, they will not pursue it. Of course, that means some developers may have initiated work on the project; we have no way of knowing.

Their New Employee Handbook is publicly available, and it is an interesting read.

On 1/9/2024 at 1:54 AM, Shimejii said:

its time to say that type and genre of game will never succeed. 

I don't know about that
Darktide and Vermintide is a similar genre of game and they do well (They have their own share of problems, but they still scratch the itch)

On 1/9/2024 at 9:10 AM, venomtail said:

Pretend we're Valve, give US a reason why L4D3 should exist.

kinda weird question,  if it's half decent 1m+ sells is basically guaranteed,  even at like $40+ bucks per copy.

so tell me, why WE, as "valve" would want to throw away all that money? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/9/2024 at 9:46 AM, TomChaai said:

Valve is historically famous for not making anything 3, name one game from them that actually has a 3 in the title.

Left 4 Dead Evolv3d

there

(seriously who the hell said it needs a "3" in it? )

that's like saying sony wont make a PlayStation 4 because 4 means "death" in Japanese...lol

Also a *very* popular internet myth back then  😉

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

kinda weird question,  if it's half decent 1m+ sells is basically guaranteed,  even at like $40+ bucks per copy.

so tell me, why WE, as "valve" would want to throw away all that money? 

From cancelling games when they're 95-99% complete, investing all their money into hardware, software and holding off from releasing new battle passes because "content delivery is not in our style anymore" all but shows that Valve has completely different priorities that what we stereotypically think of AAA development studios. If money was priority we'd have endless battlepasses by now and how many sequels to our beloved games. Their bigger picture has L4D3 on the backburner because they have been making it, they're just not interested in releasing it. All I can think of is maybe the pressure of the game not being perfect like every Valve games has to be so they might not want to ruin that reputation, the allure and status. Maybe only release a sequel once the previous game has died off so there's no conflict. Look at CSGO to CS2, just straight up disabled CSGO to prevent conflict and as a side addition ideally streamline the dev teams as well.

I think money wise they're not worried about a few ten million from L4D3 sales. They already get a gold stream from Steam alone, their Steam Decks and Steam Index VR.

Here's some leftover L4D3 stuff:

139089998395.jpg?width=1920&height=1920&fit=bounds&quality=80&format=jpg&auto=webp269580-h1.jpg

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

8 minutes ago, venomtail said:

From cancelling games when they're 95-99% complete, investing all their money into hardware, software and holding off from releasing new battle passes because "content delivery is not in our style anymore" all but shows that Valve has completely different priorities that what we stereotypically think of AAA development studios. If money was priority we'd have endless battlepasses by now and how many sequels to our beloved games. Their bigger picture has L4D3 on the backburner because they have been making it, they're just not interested in releasing it. All I can think of is maybe the pressure of the game not being perfect like every Valve games has to be so they might not want to ruin that reputation, the allure and status. Maybe only release a sequel once the previous game has died off so there's no conflict. Look at CSGO to CS2, just straight up disabled CSGO to prevent conflict and as a side addition ideally streamline the dev teams as well.

I think money wise they're not worried about a few ten million from L4D3 sales. They already get a gold stream from Steam alone, their Steam Decks and Steam Index VR.

Here's some leftover L4D3 stuff:

139089998395.jpg?width=1920&height=1920&fit=bounds&quality=80&format=jpg&auto=webp269580-h1.jpg

yeah, i never said anything valve does makes sense, only why it would make sense theoretically.  😉

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/9/2024 at 1:17 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that Valves development workflow is pretty well documented. People join the projects they're interested and, and it kind of gets done when and if it gets done. 

Without a bunch of people at Valve who *want* to make a new L4D, it won't happen. 

This contrasts with the standard publisher who looks into market research to determine what the best most profitable use of development time would be, and producing that. 

Mostly because it's a privately held company. That means they don't just run after money. They still have a lot of money but they are also known for trying to do the right thing. I bet if they would be publicly traded, there would already be a L4D 5, Portal 8 and a new full-priced Counter Strike title every year. I'm not a huge fan of most of their games myself but i know that most, if not all, of their self-developed games are held in very high regard.

Also, they don't hold a monopoly on the PC games market because of shady business practices, exlusivity deals or anti-competitive behavior. They hold the monopoly simply because they have the best service in the industry and that's what draws all the customers in.

It's one of the few tech companies i actually still have respect for.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It's one of the few tech companies i actually still have respect for.

Not having to answer to shareholders must be priceless to senior members of Valve. I hope they keep their ideology when Gabe inevitably leaves.

Because Valve doesn't make games anymore except as a way to sell something else (microtransactions, hardware). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16