Windows 11 in Europe Will Have Fewer Ads and Uninstall-able Edge Thanks to the DMA

LAwLz

Summary

Some of you may have heard of the Digital Markets Act, aka the DMA. It's a bill designed to restrict what "gatekeepers" can do on their platforms in order to ensure a fair marketplace.

Some of the results of the DMA so far as been Apple saying they will allow sideloading apps on iOS, and supporting RCS in iMessage.

Today, Microsoft published a blog post detailing some of the things they will do with Windows 11 to make it compliant with the DMA.

We do not know if these changes will be specifically for the EU region, or if they will apply worldwide. However, the blog post specifies that some things will be specific to the EU.

Some of the changes include:

• The ability to uninstall Edge (EU only?), Cortana, the camera app, Bing web search (EU only?) and photos.
  • Some features previously exclusive to Microsoft will now be available to third-party developers via APIs. For example web search in the start menu, and "feed provider" in the Widgets board.
  • Windows will now ask users if they want to sync their Microsoft account with Windows (EU only?). I read that as meaning you no longer need a Microsoft account at setup but that remains to be seen.
  • Windows (EU only?) will always respect the user's default browser when opening HTTP and HTTPS links, instead of how it is right now where some links always open in Edge. However, this only applies to Windows itself and Microsoft says that "some Microsoft apps will choose to open web content in Edge".
  • The ability to disable the Microsoft news feed and ads in the widget board.

Quotes

Microsoft is working to ensure compliance with the Digital Markets Act (DMA) in the European Economic Area (EEA). We have released the November 2023 non-security preview update for Windows 11, version 23H2 to the Release Preview Channel (Build 22631.2787) that previews many of the changes we’ve made to Windows 11 to meet these obligations. These changes will gradually be rolling out to devices in Release Preview over the next couple weeks. We will be previewing changes for Windows 10 in the Release Preview Channel at a later date. We’ll be updating  Windows 10, version 22H2 and Windows 11, version 23H2 PCs in the EEA to be compliant by March 6th, 2024.

Here is a picture from Windows Central how the new feed setting will look:

AousdeL859LBxuyGb8zhQ9-970-80.png.webp.7ea52e36c15cb2698682f72dca93b0ef.webp

My thoughts

Very good news. A bit late and I think it's sad that it took the EU pushing legislation to make this a thing, but I am glad that it is rolling out.

It will make Windows 11 a bit more pleasant to use, and a bit less frustrating to set up.

Sources

Windows Blog - Previewing changes in Windows to comply with the Digital Markets Act in the European Economic Area

Windows Central - Microsoft will let users uninstall Edge, Bing, and disable ads on Windows 11 as it complies with the Digital Markets Act

I'm glad to be in EU. All of the listed things are one of the worst aspects of modern Windows. I don't want dumb suggestions on all ends, I don't want constant desperate pushing of stupid Edge browser, I don't want dumbest ever news feed in Widgets panel which is so bad I just refuse to use the Widgets entirely because of it and lastly, the forced bullshit online account requirement. I don't want to use stupid obscure workaround hacks just to install Windows without the stupid online account.

From enforcing USB-C as standard for charging, easier device repairing, much stricter, consumer focused warranty conditions, to this, EU legislators have done a lot of pro-consumer things in last few years. I just feel bad for Americans who won't get any of this or most of it anyway. Shows how corporations run everything in America and also shows that EU is a force you don't f**k around with. After all, Europe, despite being the "old continent" is pretty tech savvy and a huge consumer base that corporations just can't afford not to be involved in. It's almost similar to China. No one likes their dictator ways and how they just steal and copy anything they touch, but it's a 1,5 billion people market and no one wants to let that go. All in all it's a win for consumers in EU region and I'm looking forward to these changes.

OK, but what about 10??  ._.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Would someone who's located in the U.S be able to install a European version to get the benefits?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

All this should be standard already. Will be interested to see how exactly this will get rolled out and if it is possible to implement these features outside the EU. I can't imagine MS wanting to maintain multiple code versions so hope it will be configuration settings.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, porina said:

All this should be standard already. Will be interested to see how exactly this will get rolled out and if it is possible to implement these features outside the EU. I can't imagine MS wanting to maintain multiple code versions so hope it will be configuration settings.

Isn't California usually the first (or at least most aggressive) to adopt EU things within the US system?

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

OK, but what about 10??  ._.

Get 11

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Would someone who's located in the U.S be able to install a European version to get the benefits?

That is the question now isn't it?? Guess we'll find out.

2 hours ago, porina said:

I sincerely wish what you said is going to be a reality.

Or atleast hope that the smart windows tweaker peoples find a way to implement it to non EU install.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

I sincerely wish what you said is going to be a reality.

Or atleast hope that the smart windows tweaker peoples find a way to implement it to non EU install.

be careful what you wish for, with eu version you'll most likely also the eu exclusive "man in the middle attack" ... um, feature.  😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've got the latest update yesterday. But never saw adds though. Imagine uninstalling Edge, which is a better browser, and installing Chrome, some do this. There are other alternatives.

Windows already did ask me to sync with account before the update.

Ability to disable news feed finally is great, so I can keep fancy temp weather widget.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Windows already did ask me to sync with account before the update.

It basically forced you into it by requiring an ms account......

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

It basically forced you into it by requiring an ms account......

No I mean after installation on desktop if signed out it occasionally asks me would I sign in again. It's nowhere near or comparable and horrid as Google on Android.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Google on Android

AFAIK you can entirely  skip that on android (unlike on 10/11 ). Unless you open an app that requires it it wont bother you.

22 hours ago, LAwLz said:

"some Microsoft apps will choose to open web content in Edge".

good luck doing that when I uninstall it 😛

22 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Very good news. A bit late and I think it's sad that it took the EU pushing legislation to make this a thing, but I am glad that it is rolling out.

I don't think you can ever expect companies to act in the interest of the consumer unless it's literally illegal for them not to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

47 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

AFAIK you can entirely  skip that on android (unlike on 10/11 ). Unless you open an app that requires it it wont bother you.

I know, though I mean you can't install apps through store, forces yt login too, annoyances like that. Not sure what you mean on Windows but I could always skip login and use local account though.

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I know, though I mean you can't install apps through store, forces yt login too, annoyances like that.

Same thing on windows though, you open store and it asks for a crappy ms account. Besides its not apple so you can use something else like fdroid.

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Not sure what you mean on Windows but I could always skip login and use local account though.

Maybe now it lets you but for a long time from the get-go you had to trick/hack/glitch(/whatever you want to call it) it to show you the local account creation screen. And even then it will pester you about it at a regular interval to "finish setup" or whatever is the message.

Edited by jagdtigger

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Same thing on windows though, you open store and it asks for a crappy ms account. Besides its not apple so you can use something else like fdroid.

But, you don't usually use the store but straight up just download from the the web. Also you can install apps without login, at least ones I did.

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Maybe now it lets you but for a long time from the get-go you had to trick/hack/glitch(/whatever you want to call it) it to show you the local account creation screen. And even then it will pester you about it at a regular interval to "finish setup" or whatever is the message.

On installation process yeah they kinda wanted you to just login in, fair enough, though at least if you burn the ISO with Rufus they have pre-options to skip this. Also, even without this way, for me once it worked to dc the net and try to login fake and it errors out and eventually shows local option. 

At least to me after installation it never pestered me, I did login few times as I wanted and logged out, never asked me though. Also I never see adds some mention.

But, you don't usually use the store but straight up just download from the the web.

Unless the manufacturer was an utter butthead same applies to android as well. Not every apk download site is malicious....

though at least if you burn the ISO with Rufus they have pre-options to skip this. Also, even without this way, for me once it worked to dc the net and try to login fake and it errors out and eventually shows local option

Those are some of the hacks/glitches i mentioned, a normie dont know about these nor will they look anything up. They are like "fine whatever, just let me use the pc already....".

At least to me after installation it never pestered me, I did login few times as I wanted and logged out, never asked me though.

I seen it enough times to get annoyed:
spy11.jpg

Also I never see adds some mention.

Admittedly i have a dns level adblock but even i seen some:

adware11.png

(/EDIT Almost forgot, zhis ad popped over a game i was playing and wouldnt go away until i clicked "Dont Switch".)

Edited by jagdtigger

46 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

adware11.png

GW2, i see i have found another man of culture here

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

But, you don't usually use the store but straight up just download from the the web. Also you can install apps without login, at least ones I did.

So exactly like on Android then.

Wanna use the Windows Store or Google Play store to download apps? Sign up for an account.

Wanna download apps from alternative stores or websites? No account is required.

As far as I know, Android and Windows are exactly the same in this regard. It's just that you don't want to use the store on Windows because it's kinda bad, and you do want to use it on Android because it's good.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

At least to me after installation it never pestered me, I did login few times as I wanted and logged out, never asked me though. Also I never see adds some mention.

Are you saying you haven't seen ads in Windows?

Consider yourself very lucky in that case, because they are everywhere to some people. Not everyone get all ads (some might get very few), and it is highly dependent on regions. But it seems like some ads are universal, like the big Office 365 ad in settings.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Unless the manufacturer was an utter butthead same applies to android as well. Not every apk download site is malicious....

Yeah but in general people go to website to download programs on Windows while on Android go on store. Reverse usage between the two.

Those are some of the hacks/glitches i mentioned, a normie dont know about these nor will they look anything up. They are like "fine whatever, just let me use the pc already....".

Yes, though I guess anyone really wanting local would maybe quickly search up an easy skip, or maybe would ask here hah. Though, they can logout after.

I seen it enough times to get annoyed:
spy11.jpg

Yeah and skipping it was changed how few times, but I did it everytime without cmd or some long process.

Admittedly i have a dns level adblock but even i seen some:

adware11.png

(/EDIT Almost forgot, zhis ad popped over a game i was playing and wouldnt go away until i clicked "Dont Switch".)

Heh, I do use Edge but I never saw Bing or whatever else. I think there is option to disable in personalization > start recommended tips. Maybe it's that, I have it off.

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So exactly like on Android then.

Wanna use the Windows Store or Google Play store to download apps? Sign up for an account.

Wanna download apps from alternative stores or websites? No account is required.

As far as I know, Android and Windows are exactly the same in this regard. It's just that you don't want to use the store on Windows because it's kinda bad, and you do want to use it on Android because it's good.

Yeah but for MS I don't need to actually log in to download, while on Android you do. I can't even logout from YT (could normally on older ver) it's such a meme, I can remove Google account but it removes it from everywhere. Annoying if I log into something it logs in everywhere, need to do so much config if you want control.

For phones I get it, it's more "everything is an app" or "icon" and you do stuff from there. 

Well yeah, on Android it's way more annoying installing outside of store then even vs Windows through website which is quick. But good to have options if something is not on the store. As far as Windows Store the problem is not even store it self that much, but that just it's not the go-to default people download from. Reasons being (not sure if they all apply right now) programs were different, ver/looks well some, some things are not there, so I take it also people think it's like early days Metro apps and it's not the same as web programs they're used to. Some use Ninite or Chocolatey.

Too bad for the mess, hopefully one day it all gets resolved and we can actually use the store as the go-to repository.

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are you saying you haven't seen ads in Windows?

Consider yourself very lucky in that case, because they are everywhere to some people. Not everyone get all ads (some might get very few), and it is highly dependent on regions. But it seems like some ads are universal, like the big Office 365 ad in settings.

No, I have never seen an add from W10/W11 though I do use Pro/Enterprise so not sure if it's different for Home I've heard Home gets limits here and there.

I've tried logged in and off to see, no different. I am using Edge though. Don't see the Office 365 though I can see I can log in, never used it's sub.

43 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

No, I have never seen an add from W10/W11 though I do use Pro/Enterprise so not sure if it's different for Home I've heard Home gets limits here and there.

I've tried logged in and off to see, no different. I am using Edge though. Don't see the Office 365 though I can see I can log in, never used it's sub.

You most likely have seen ads. You probably didn't really realize they were ads.

The Pro version has several ads for sure. I run the Pro version and I get ads every now and again, despite trying my hardest to turn it off.

For example:

Or the things that appear in the start menu when you first install Windows (and if you don't turn off "recommendations".

Hell, right now I got a big ad for Office 365 right in the settings menu:

image.thumb.png.e3b06edfdf1e58e92a99c349e0e58030.png

Here is a list I made before:

On 10/21/2023 at 3:55 PM, LAwLz said:

Are we really going down this path? I still can't believe that some people seem to believe that Windows isn't riddled with ads. You'd have to live under a rock to not have heard all the complaints and examples of it happening to people.

As I explained earlier, just because you don't experience it doesn't mean no one else experiences it. It is highly based on things like regions and luck. Denying all the ads in Windows is like saying cancer doesn't exist just because you haven't experienced it. 

1) The ads for apps right in the start menu.

2) The notifications that pop up every now and again to advertise for example LinkedIn.

3) The lock screen pictures that are sometimes just full screen ads with links to where to buy for example some new game.

4) The section in the search box you mentioned where they include ads in the search bar.

5) The ad for OneDrive that appears in the shutdown menu for some users.

6) Or the time they started adding banners in Explorer for OneDrivbe subscriptions.

7) Speaking of File Explorer, remember when that started advertising Microsoft Editor?

8) Remember the time they showed an OS-level warning when you used Chrome, telling you to switch to Edge? That was an ad too.

9) That wasn't the first or last time they advertised Edge to Chrome users either. They have even injected banner ads into others' websites to advertise Edge.

10) Speaking of Edge, this appeared on my screen when I updated Windows last month. That's an ad for Edge and Bing right on my desktop.

11) And once again speaking of Edge, remember that time they showed a full-screen ad for Philo when you updated it? I will ignore Edge for now because I can make an entire list of ways they are advertising in that product alone.

12) There was some ad in Cortana before, where she told you to set a reminder for the Superbowl. I can't find any news article about it though right now. Too many articles about "cortana predicting the superbowl" show up.

13) In the share pane, they sometimes inject ads for other apps you don't have

14) If you used the Ink workspace you probably saw ads in that. Please note that this was a separate thing from the regular "suggested app" ads.

I could go on and on and on but I think you get the point.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

You most likely have seen ads. You probably didn't really realize they were ads.

The Pro version has several ads for sure. I run the Pro version and I get ads every now and again, despite trying my hardest to turn it off.

For example:

Or the things that appear in the start menu when you first install Windows (and if you don't turn off "recommendations".

Hell, right now I got a big ad for Office 365 right in the settings menu:

image.thumb.png.e3b06edfdf1e58e92a99c349e0e58030.png

Here is a list I made before:

The toasts no, just some notifications, like no viruses, 1drive sync. 

The Settings, I don't have that first Home row, only from System. But I did once, looked different, though I no longer have it, not sure what I did hah. Maybe I was on different update option before, now I'm on latest update. I am using local account currently, maybe that.