Windows 11 in Europe Will Have Fewer Ads and Uninstall-able Edge Thanks to the DMA

LAwLz
9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But yeah, it's good Rufus offers extras before you make the ISO bootable. So I guess reason why I don't see.

Rufus only messes with the installer, not the installed OS AFAIK.

10 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

You don't need to nuke the logged in user per say, you can convert the account to local after.

Good to know, but the issue still stands. The account to which the license is tied to is no longer present.....

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's interesting, as I have notifications enabled.

I dont think that bing ad was a "normal" notification, at least by the looks of it. In any case its still signals malwaresofts real intentions.......

14 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Sucks but what can you do.

popos.png
(I use pop for quite a while now, i also have Manjaro KDE on my gaming laptop and fedora on the laptop i use at the university.....)

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

probably not much different as that sounds pretty textbook normie to me... dont have a Microsoft account,  don't need it... didn't use "edge" since years... my least favorite browser of all times with Microsoft plastered all over it .

Also i don't see how any of this is relevant,  i don't have any ads in Windows now, so what is even going on, do people really have this "issue"? (how? lol)

I mean it seems for some people they see adds etc but I don't I've seen this elsewhere, some do some don't. My email is MS one rather than Google one so really I already have it though. Edge is definitely better than Google though, then again I'd rather use Opera/Vivaldi or even Firefox, though Google trying to mess it.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Rufus only messes with the installer, not the installed OS AFAIK.

Good to know, but the issue still stands. The account to which the license is tied to is no longer present.....

I dont think that bing ad was a "normal" notification, at least by the looks of it. In any case its still signals malwaresofts real intentions.......

popos.png
(I use pop for quite a while now, i also have Manjaro KDE on my gaming laptop and fedora on the laptop i use at the university.....)

Yeah mostly messes with installer, though sets local account in more normal fashion per say.

It doesn't need to be, as the converted to local is different vs sign out though. So Windows activated. Can't test this now, but kinda don't want to if I mess something I've set up and everything works like I want heh.

That Bing toast looks like it's from installed app or something. I'm not exactly sure what causes it.

For me Linux would need to improve a lot and get a ton of support for me to fully switch. I just can't, Windows games sure, but also certain software that's only Windows and no Linux/Mac so. Really a lot of stuff like that. Generally I can't see us getting there until game devs, software devs put full support for everything.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

28 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

mean it seems for some people they see adds etc but I don't I've seen this

yeah, ive seen "some" many years ago.... but not now...

*except,  well when I open edge it seems like a huge amalgamation of MS product ads everywhere... hence i never use it, i guess we just have to agree to disagree on that, its completely unusable to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ps: i couldn't even test it if i wanted now, there's no edge on my windows install,  i mean it's there but when i click on it, it just force closes... oops! 😉

28 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

For me Linux would need to improve a lot and get a ton of support for me to fully switch. I just can't, Windows games sure, but also certain software that's only Windows and no Linux/Mac so. Really a lot of stuff like that. Generally I can't see us getting there until game devs, software devs put full support for everything

true... however I just want an Unix based OS with a nice GUI, and more modern options, I just don't have high hopes with Linux, the kernel etc seems to restrictive  its really more an os for industrial applications,  servers etc, it works well there,  but anything user facing it seems very archaic and not very adaptive. 

i mean windows has one thing going for it, you can pretty much do almost everything with just clicking on stuff and maybe some copy pasta...

for more complex stuff, there's probably a solution on github. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

For me Linux would need to improve a lot and get a ton of support for me to fully switch. I just can't, Windows games sure, but also certain software that's only Windows and no Linux/Mac so. Really a lot of stuff like that. Generally I can't see us getting there until game devs, software devs put full support for everything.

It would be enough if they would not try and actively block linux users running SW in wine......

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

however I just want an Unix based OS with a nice GUI, and more modern options, I just don't have high hopes with Linux, the kernel etc seems to restrictive

KDE is pretty modern, and linux restrictive? Have you tried to get rid of lets  say edge and the rest of the apps which windows defends at all cost from removal? :old-eyeroll: Yes linux might warn you (like it did warned Linus before it removed the desktop environment after he ignored the warning) but it wont stop you from doing what you want.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, ive seen "some" many years ago.... but not now...

*except,  well when I open edge it seems like a huge amalgamation of MS product ads everywhere... hence i never use it, i guess we just have to agree to disagree on that, its completely unusable to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ps: i couldn't even test it if i wanted now, there's no edge on my windows install,  i mean it's there but when i click on it, it just force closes... oops! 😉

true... however I just want an Unix based OS with a nice GUI, and more modern options, I just don't have high hopes with Linux, the kernel etc seems to restrictive  its really more an os for industrial applications,  servers etc, it works well there,  but anything user facing it seems very archaic and not very adaptive. 

i mean windows has one thing going for it, you can pretty much do almost everything with just clicking on stuff and maybe some copy pasta...

for more complex stuff, there's probably a solution on github. 🙂

Not sure what you've done to Edge haha (I once messed it up with reinstall) but I know on clean install like any browser you just go through steps to set it up really, done. I've been using it for a while now and runs very good. I don't use their Copilot or whatever. They're all Chromium now so they're all basically almost the same, Firefox getting messed from Google like lately artificially delaying YT load. As far as ads nothing beats Googles Chrome adverts though.

Yeah idk about Unix and Linux future as far as mainstream, but even though some things get improved, it's still so far behind Windows in many aspects to be direct mainstream replacement. And exactly, such OS would need to be as good as Windows in UI/UX familiarity as well as function and support. 

29 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It would be enough if they would not try and actively block linux users running SW in wine......

I mean depends for user and use case, performance wise and compatibility with other things that won't work like so.

30 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

KDE is pretty modern, and linux restrictive? Have you tried to get rid of lets  say edge and the rest of the apps which windows defends at all cost from removal? :old-eyeroll: Yes linux might warn you (like it did warned Linus before it removed the desktop environment after he ignored the warning) but it wont stop you from doing what you want.

You can uninstall them though? In general they don't bother me, some are good to have. Edge I've had some issued before where it couldn't launch and reinstall/repair was a mess. I've hard they will decouple it from Windows so cool. 

But I think restrictive was here was meant not in those ways but more like general usability especially from the get go, Windows is just way better out of the box. And also restrictive in another way you could say is indirect with not being as supported which is still a thing that is a con though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 11/19/2023 at 6:26 AM, Spotty said:

It will be determined by what region the user chooses when installing the operating system. Seems like you can change it but it will require reinstalling or resetting Windows.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/11/16/previewing-changes-in-windows-to-comply-with-the-digital-markets-act-in-the-european-economic-area/

So anyone who's installing a new version of windows will be able to say they're in Europe. I'm sure the date/time, language, etc are currently all disconnected from the region setting. Which means this literally applies to every windows version all over the entire planet unless you're buying a computer from bestbuy and don't care/know how to change those settings. Although I guess that consists of most windows users so maybe microsoft doesn't care if a few power users have a really easy way to get an objectively superior version of windows as long as the masses don't do that too.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:10 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Not sure what you've done to Edge haha

its, dead, not coming back, dw 🙂

9 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

He didn't do anything with Edge

Spoiler

i mean, i did 😉 only way to bring it back is type DISM, but hell if i do! : P

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Edge is definitely not better than Chrome. Edge is worst browser compared to other chromium based browsers and guess what? It's bloated with unwanted bloatware Microsoft things. Heck even simple start tab is already cluttered with unwanted things. Seriously look at the default start page in Edge. Do you like it? Also look how big is gap between menus and how big looks bookmarks (same amount) compared to Chrome:

Edge

image.thumb.png.8e48a178800beca0212dbc924798175c.png

And now Chrome with same amount of bookmarks and default start page:

image.thumb.png.8694d4479241dff8d0a2a3d4af2ea567.png

I think winner is already clear...

And in general, Google is much better company than Microsoft when it comes to quality of the products. Whatever Micosoft makes it just feels cheaply made low quality things and whatever they touch it just dies lol (Skype). Microsoft is weakest tech giant among other giants. And the thing that Microsoft went on chromium (which is a product of Google) engine instead of their own already speaks everything. Microsoft can't make anything themselves anymore and they need to use products from other companies or steal ideas (centered start menu design stole from Mac) and if they make anything unique which happens once in a century it's something not important and not significant and eventually it dies too (mobile market). Such a big company and they even had already their mobile OS and they messed it up there too. So pathetic... What about their crappy search engine "Bing" that no one uses because it's so crap and then Nadella goes to court and cries that there's no Internet, that there's only Google. Of course it is, you silly Nadella, because you didn't make decent search engine, you didn't make decent browser and in fact, you didn't make anything decent. How about instead of whining hire more competent people to compete with other companies instead of crying and complaining? But no, you don't even have brain cells to do that people in Microsoft... The only thing that this company has as an ace is their Windows which is a primary OS for gamers and that's it. By the way, did you even try their new Outlook? Don't get me even started with that...

In short, Microsoft are the kindergarden kids compared to Google or any big tech giants.

Nah, many would disagree and feel Chrome is bloated for a while, I've noticed other browsers tend to be faster at times, use less memory, look better, have more options too. It's not early Edge too, I've used it for a some time now and works very well. Not sure what bloatware you mean, I don't use copilot or whatever, just disable things. That's just a start page on fresh install, you change/disable that man. Like come on you obviously customize the browser and not use it as is. 

The bookmarks you're showing only shows few more on Chrome vs Edge but it's smaller and also narrow so less title visible. You're using low resolution so maybe to you it's ok, but for more Edge one looks way better on my monitor.

Just opened Chrome and every now and then I do it always bothers me with some ads customizations or this and that, like they fully listen what you set. They're also blocking adblockers and stuff, etc. Those taskbar icons what.

He didn't do anything with Edge. Edge naturally looks already bloated with Microsoft ads on a very first page.

And I really hope you're joking about ads that nothing beats Google. Seriously dude? It's a Microsoft that is famous with their bloatware and ads. Did you know that in new Outlook we have ads right in the inbox that look like emails? Wanna see? Let me open it for ya:

Untitled.png

See that crap?

Now let me show you Gmail in case you never had it:

Screenshot_3.png

No ads whatsoever. Let me tell you even more about new Outlook: You can't add your work Microsoft paid basic subscibtion account there anymore, however you can add your personal and Gmail address or iCloud. How "smart" does is sound?

Microsoft is most pushy, most aggressive, most intrusive, most cheesy, most incompetent & most sleazy company among any other tech giants.

Bloated, it's just basic homepage like any browser, which you just customize. That's not bloated, bloated is garbage in browser code like Chrome and how it operates things you literally can't change. It uses way more memory and starts to chug with many tabs and extensions, starts loading pages even slower. 

I don't have those ads, I have adblock dude. Also Gmail also has ads, I know for both they didn't show always, but many example images out there with ads too. Google was putting ads in middle of inboxes too. I also hate their UI it's trash. I have Opera/Vivaldi or even Firefox but Google is crippling it. 

So no ads my ass Google thrives on ads, look at what they're doing lately with YT and Chrome code forcing it, crippling others. Making Firefox yt load limit 5s vs instant. Bigger cancer then MS really. 

They have separate rules for personal and business editions. Others do this too, not really something new, it may not be perfect but hey, business. So it makes more sense if business is paying this for you. Why would I pay for 365 for personal use? No, I just use free from whoever.

Microsoft is most pushy, most aggressive, most intrusive, most cheesy, most incompetent & most sleazy company among any other tech giants.

All top companies are like this in their own ways, you wanted to mix business license etc. and didn't work and I get it, but this is nothing new in the world. Sadly many things are also sub based, which I rejected always, be it Adobe or MS Office too. But no, Google is under all that description of yours equally, they literally kill their services randomly after getting people on without providing alternatives. Never know how it will go with anything from them. 

2 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

You're just blatantly lying dude. I don't know if you work for Microsoft and get paid to spread misinformation or what but whatever you're saying are lots of lies. Gmail never had ads in Inbox and Chrome is super light browser compared to heavy bloated Edge. Also ad blocker works just fine in Chrome. You clearly have some agenda here for Microsoft...

You must be joking. You clearly don't know or don't even bother to check, Chrome uses more memory for no reason, snoops more, etc. They're working hard for yt to not be able to use addblock at all, latest stuff that's going on. Clearly you haven't used Edge much, or really any other browser than Chrome skyware. Gmail never had ads? That just shows me you spew nonsense, I've seen on many PCs Gmail with ads, they were in in different places at times. You say you use adblock but show me Outlook with ad, weird. Just google Gmail ads and I'm sure you'll easily see. 

I don't give a f about either company, but enough of people already know Google or Chrome memes for a while aside basic normies and people started using other browsers. 

Again, there's no single ad in Gmail. Just logged there again. Not a SINGLE AD! Now, open up new "Outlook" app, f**cking AD is sitting right in the inbox disguised as an email!!! Can you even read this or Microsoft completely blinded you and made you deaf?!

Clearly there's no point talking to you, it's just a waste of time. I'll just leave with the last proof for you and after that I'm done arguing with you. Let the result speak for itsel: Browser marketshare worldwide. See who's reigning there? It's not a Firefox, it's not an Opera and it's not your cheesy Edge, it's a Chrome! There's a reason why Chrome is sitting on that throne and there's a reason why Edge and its pathetic Bing are sinking at the bottom.

Like I've said, I've seen both have and not have ads at times. You can't tell me Gmail never had ads are you serious, just check online from many people. I'm not saying it's showing to you now, that doesn't mean it's a fact how you say that there are no ads. Both can have ads. Obviously you will use adblock in general online. Let's not pretend to not use adblock nowdays. You're not even listening or checking that others have them, but just repeating yourself.

You're clearly in echo chamber here, quick search just shows you many things discussed here but you just outright refute them and repeat your stuff. 

Ahahaha linking me web browser usage statistic, what is that supposed to prove? Chrome is the best be all end all, period? Sure. Chrome was best on it's rise initially when other browsers slacked more until they improve. The market share gain was sure from early days and everyone "use chrome" aside from FF and Opera alt. They did go more towards devs with chromium etc. long story there. But also one reason why and how they control the web per say, which is bad. Many things they do and dictate how stuff operates on the web which people and devs don't like, it affects other browsers too.

Also let's be real how people heard MS browser like IE or default Windows browser and had bad taste from before and without knowledge or trying just go download the next thing, yeah. Also Android how Chrome is integrated and more people on phones too reasons for growth like that. Those didn't automatically translate to better like you thing with marketshare link.

I'm not even heavily defending Edge or whatnot, (never mentioned Bing) you're not even giving it a fair share, showing me oh look at it's homepage, done, saying bloated, whatever that means. You're just randomly shit talking it. I've mentioned many reasons like higher RAM usage for Chrome but yeah whatever, never mention that. Typically someone who never moved from chrome and feels weirded out when someone says something against it. Reasons why also people dislike every other browser switching to chromium, one of the reason is Googles web control etc., another well just that every web browser is basically just Chrome now, just at least better looking and more functions for some, less spyware. As a web designer I also tested all the browsers too.

It seems many have this engraved notion Chrome is some magical web browser that's an obvious choice, why even try anything else, knowing nothing.

Nobody cares what anyone uses, just don't go on yelling how other browsers are trash, makes you look like a meme. Use what you want just stop giving me horrible "arguments" like this.

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

You clearly don't know or don't even bother to check, Chrome uses more memory for no reason, snoops more, etc.

I am not really interested in getting into an argument, but the idea that Chrome "snoops more" than Edge is false.

Even if we ignore things like the bugs like the creator follow feature that leaked all your full website visits to Microsoft, Edge is still more privacy intrusive than Chrome according to this report

Don't get fooled by Microsoft's marketing. They were big on talking about all the "privacy intrusive" things they removed from chromium when they made the new Edge, but they didn't include mentions of all the things they added in themselves.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am not really interested in getting into an argument, but the idea that Chrome "snoops more" than Edge is false.

Even if we ignore things like the bugs like the creator follow feature that leaked all your full website visits to Microsoft, Edge is still more privacy intrusive than Chrome according to this report

Don't get fooled by Microsoft's marketing. They were big on talking about all the "privacy intrusive" things they removed from chromium when they made the new Edge, but they didn't include mentions of all the things they added in themselves.

Oh I didn't mean necessarily vs Edge but vs all browser in general. I'd rather trust say like Opera, Vivaldi, FF though. 

Yeah I've heard about "Bing training" as I called it, not cool I guess as default setup, but you can disable it. Definitely on a fresh browser I always skim through settings. 

I've yet to check that report though. But Chrome does collect more data then Edge I know they're facing a lawsuit from collecting data from incognito mode.

Hah oh yeah I'm not drinking any companies marketing really, I know every chromium based browser company guts out Googles crap and potentially puts some of theirs, depends to what degree, how open and default it is of course. But one thing I remember people agreeing even then was they do believe them that there was enough of Googles crap there. I know they didn't talk about the code fully transparently, nobody really expected but more transparency in general these companies need to have. 

At least Edge privacy settings are easier to understand and configure.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I've yet to check that report though. But Chrome does collect more data then Edge I know they're facing a lawsuit from collecting data from incognito mode.

How do you know Chrome collects more data than Edge? 

The facing a lawsuit for collecting data while in incognito mode doesn't really prove anything. Ir doesn't prove that they collect more than Edge does bor does it prove that Edge doesn't collect the same things. 

I recommend you read the report. Edge is in fact more privacy intrusive than Chrome. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. At least it was true 3 years ago, but I doubt it has changed since then.

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How do you know Chrome collects more data than Edge? 

The facing a lawsuit for collecting data while in incognito mode doesn't really prove anything. Ir doesn't prove that they collect more than Edge does bor does it prove that Edge doesn't collect the same things. 

I recommend you read the report. Edge is in fact more privacy intrusive than Chrome. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. At least it was true 3 years ago, but I doubt it has changed since then.

I've seen enough of reports, even putting aside like it's kinda not obvious. Saw some test it in different ways, like using WIrehark etc. Now this was when Edge wasn't more known still, but still. I'm sure you also know how everyone from tech yt-ers and whoever mentions this as well. Now, I would be curious to see browsers compared in snooping ways in latest versions how it fairs. Especially now EU forcing some things on big corporations.

I was just merely mentioning the incognito thing. I'm not saying that in it self proves that. But what exactly does it prove that Chrome doesn't really? We can have say a report one does something, that automatically doesn't mean the other doesn't. It's probably not just been found and shown. But articles it self are not verifiable. We'd need like I said a good testing by someone.

Yeah it's older report, I did saw it. But idk, still seems rather lack of info or not enough probing. I searched up on YT here and there for someone who could test these things more in depth, but yeah. A ton of mixed stuff.

15 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

No point talking to him. It's like a talking to a wall. He's just a Microsoft fanboy, be he won't admit that. He didn't even bother to check the links I mentioned about Outlook. He doesn't want to listen anything negative about Microsoft, just falsly claiming that Google collects more data than Edge... I mean, where's the proof of that? Heck he doesn't even want to aknowledge the fact that Edge is more bloated which is a fact. Yes you can disable manually Edge ads on a start page, but it's not about what you can do it manually. It's about what browser is giving you as a default as lots of people just click next and don't bother to turn off things they don't need and by default Chrome keeps it clean page while Edge is bloated with MSN news and crap like that. Also Microsoft made it very hard for you to switch to other browser in Windows 11. It's not as easy as it was in previous Windows versions by doing it with one click. If they could, these asshats would completely remove your right to use other browser or any other company products. It's very clear with every Microsoft action that they're desperate trying to force you their things and don't care about their users opinion or freedom. That's why they're always in trouble. That's why EU just forced these asshats to have fewer ads and let users uninstall their crappy Edge. But no, this guy won't listen to all this. That's why there's no point talking to him. Either he's a shill that gets paid by Microsoft, either he's just a blind fanboy who won't admit it.

You're the one literally not even acknowledging points I've made between browsers like performance, memory, customization, etc. Not even saying anything about ads I've told you, showing me Bookmarks are larger a bit like some fault and linking me a freaking browser marketshare crap like that is to prove anything relevant at all here. You don't even have counter arguments at all. You repeat your own things that fit your narrative and call me a fanboy multiple times(where I use different browsers just using Edge currently) while you are using Chrome of which it literally seems you're being one of those that abide to "just use Chrome" from early days and act as if it's an obvious choice for people to use. Yet you end up arguing about this with stupid approach that holds no water, just end up being a vocal noob.

I get it MS made you mad for your reasons but don't stubbornly list me such crap like freaking bookmarks size and browser hompage. I checked your links on Outlook, what do you want? Have you not read? Your still just going on I'm defending MS you literally convinced yourself to such a degree. I don't know if you've seen people in tech talk about Chrome/Google and their spying, but to me it seems it's rather new to you or something. I can be like you and say the same thing that you're falsely claiming how Chrome collets less data, where's the proof.  

You use bloated terms rather loosely, it takes 10s to set up a browser and like another minute to go through settings. This is for every browser. The bloated part in short generally people would mention performance wise and bloated codebase and unnecessary crap that no one wants and with less customization along. Not you pretending to be outraged by doing literally a click or so to disable homepage news crap. You're meming at this point, like Chrome didn't have those apps of theirs showing down peoples throats, popups asking me this that after install, some others do this but still. No Chrome is not the best out of the box, really no browser is, stop this nonsense. And people that you say don't bother going to settings, I can tell you that many do bother to not use the homepage tab but make Google search as homepage or have things bookmarked.

But your bias is showing, talking about user rights, forcing users to their products, EU lawsuits, yeah good for these corporations this is at least happening, but you won't mention Google for all of this. Because no Google doesn't force users or limit function from competitors, not like EU isn't suing them too for billions. Everything your wrote here for MS applies to Google as well. But keep talking while literally making zero argument along the way through your bias journey.

56 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I've seen enough of reports

Do you have any links? 

57 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'm sure you also know how everyone from tech yt-ers and whoever mentions this as well.

Most youtubers, even the big ones, have no idea what they are talking about half the time. 

They are usually an extension of the marketing arm of companies. 

They are also just a likely to make assumptions and believe things at face value if they get repeated enough. It's important to not make assumptions and actually verify things. 

But what exactly does it prove that Chrome doesn't really?

What do you mean? 

We can have say a report one does something, that automatically doesn't mean the other doesn't. It's probably not just been found and shown. But articles it self are not verifiable. We'd need like I said a good testing by someone.

Dude... What? 

So a report found that Edge collects more personal information the Chrome and your response is "Chrome probably collects more still. They just didn't find it"? That's an unverifiable hypothesis. You're basically making the same argument as religious people makes. "Prove that God isn't real!". 

If we have evidence of Edge collecting more, and more serious data than Chrome and the people who did the investigation, people from an independent university then that's what we should treat as the truth. We can't assume things that we can't find evidence for to be true when our search for evidence indicates the opposite. 

It feels like you've made up your mind and won't listen to evidence and reason. So far I've seen you make a ton of accusations and zero evidence has been provided to support those claims. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Do you have any links? 

Most youtubers, even the big ones, have no idea what they are talking about half the time. 

They are usually an extension of the marketing arm of companies. 

They are also just a likely to make assumptions and believe things at face value if they get repeated enough. It's important to not make assumptions and actually verify things. 

What do you mean? 

Dude... What? 

So a report found that Edge collects more personal information the Chrome and your response is "Chrome probably collects more still. They just didn't find it"? That's an unverifiable hypothesis. You're basically making the same argument as religious people makes. "Prove that God isn't real!". 

If we have evidence of Edge collecting more, and more serious data than Chrome and the people who did the investigation, people from an independent university then that's what we should treat as the truth. We can't assume things that we can't find evidence for to be true when our search for evidence indicates the opposite. 

It feels like you've made up your mind and won't listen to evidence and reason. So far I've seen you make a ton of accusations and zero evidence has been provided to support those claims. 

I'm not on my PC now but still if you follow this then you've hard at least about data trackers and for ads and letting other data companies tag along through web browsing. I mean it's been years there's enough of that on the web. On Android it's worse. There was an issue I remember with Chrome on iPhones due to it acting as spyware when Apple requested more transparency from app devs.

Yes I'll agree that we can't give credibility to yt-ers though in terms of some testing format from like independent people vs whatever reports. Reason why I mentioned I wish someone would test these things in high detail.

I meant what exactly does it prove that Chrome doesn't collect data in many different ways, be it cookies, trackers, targeted stuff, etc.

I mean Google literally is huge and lives of of data harvesting more than anyone come on. This has been shown many times.

No I was not talking about that repot. I was generalizing. That one report is not be all end all. How can we trust it completely or know there's not more to it, especially how fast browsers update and things change in the business all the time. I mean the "prove that God isn't real" thing in this case, how can you or we be sure about say one report or source? We directly can't. We trust it to a degree. Also, thing being proven on one side need to also be applied to the other side is it proven or disproven. Can't just case close for these things because they're more complicated then just is a plane faster then a car.

I'm not ignoring the report, I'm just saying you should question everything in general or not 100% believe it because you can't prove it actually, but trust third side. All I'm saying. Another reason why I want to see these things tested on a vid with browsers. Not just written report from uni or whatever. Because trusting it 100% is being blind. I'm not saying we should assume if we can't find evidence but remember we can't exactly test these things ourself and I will not convince my self by say a single repot on things like this is as something that is solved. There's more nuance here.

So no you jumped to conclusion, I was not so called barraging on the report. But merely addressing that it's a one thing from once source, written repot, no vid etc. Ok, but I will not take it at face value for thing like this. So what accusations I made are something new to you or don't apply to both? Like oh, and one side doesn't collect, proof? There have been years of reports and stuff everything about this kind of stuff, can't pretend that doesn't exist or you've never heard it.

I have checked browsers with Wireshark too, now I don't have enough knowledge to thoroughly test this though. But a bit I've learned. 

On 11/18/2023 at 3:08 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Imagine uninstalling Edge, which is a better browser, and installing Chrome

Imagine calling either a good browser

52 minutes ago, rrats said:

Imagine calling either a good browser

Well, neither is amazing. They're Chromium based and FF is there but at times can have issues loading pages properly. As devs optimize for Chromium. 

But, it's not old IE days where you really needed different browser. Edge is way better as default browser. Most people are fine with it. You could say aside FF they're all same now with different UI and some features.