This Utah law maker wants to bring back execution by firing squad

TopWargamer

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/paul-ray-utah-lawmaker-wants-to-bring-back-execution-by-firing-squad-1.2646322?cmp=fbtl&utm_content=buffer09ae7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In the wake of a botched lethal injection in Oklahoma last month, a Utah lawmaker says he believes a firing squad is a more humane form of execution. And he plans to bring back that option for criminals sentenced to death in his state.

I couldn't agree more. I never understood why we stopped doing the firing squad. It clearly is the most humane way to put a criminal to death. It's quick and instant, and it's not really prone to failure, like the lethal ejection, hanging, or even the dreaded electric chair (which makes me shiver every time). Stuff like those last 3 - ESPECIALLY the electric chair - are very inhumane ways of killing a criminal. I mean, I know what they did was extremely bad and they deserve death, but like, come on, you're already ending their life, just make their death short and sweet and have them not feel any pain and for the option not to be prone to failure. Hopefully the rest of the states will have the option for death by firing squad in the near future.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

COMIC SANS

it should come back, there are people that dont deserve to live on this planet

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'm completely against the death sentence in the first place. 

No matter what you've done, I don't think the government should have the right to take your life. 

Guillotine. That is all.

Or that. That wouldn't be a bad option, because it's quick and instant like the firing squad. Just make sure that the blade is always sharpened and not dull. 

COMIC SANS

Although I believe the death sentence isn't the correct way to deal with these terrible people, at least this is a little better than dying from chemicals. Or electricity.

Meh my opinion on this is neutral. I don't want to be part of the group of people who have a say on how a person should die. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I just don't want any people that plague our society to be left breathing...

Wow, Would you look at that

No matter what you've done, I don't think the government should have the right to take your life. 

So somebody kills another person. What you're saying is that the murderer should be allowed to live even though he ended somebody else's life? Those who end other people's lives should not be allowed to live. They're criminals. They're murderers. A life for a life is how I see it. The only way that person would be able to get out of the death penalty is if a close relative of the person killed stopped the execution, like what happened recently. 

Plus, it costs more money to keep somebody in prison for life than to just execute them, if their crime warrants the death penalty. 

COMIC SANS

To be perfectly honest, I don't see why the death penalty still exists.

Plus, it costs more money to keep somebody in prison for life than to just execute them, if their crime warrants the death penalty.

No. It costs quite a bit more to execute someone when you tally all the court time they use through appeals.

County estimates in Texas indicate that the death penalty system is much more expensive than sentencing inmates to life imprisonment. Gray County spent nearly $1 million seeking the death penalty against Levi King, even though he pleaded guilty to murder. Moreover, these costs do not include the cost of appeals, which will further increase the cost of the capital case, nor the costs of cases in which the death penalty is sought but not given. By comparison, a non-death penalty murder case in nearby Lubbock County typically costs about $3,000, court officials estimate. The average cost to house an inmate in Texas prisons is $47.50 per day, according to Michelle Lyons, spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Thus it would cost about $17,340 to house an inmate for a year and $693,500 for 40 years, far less than even part of the death penalty costs. The regional public defender's office estimates that just the legal costs for a death penalty case from indictment to execution are $1.2 million. Lubbock County Criminal District Attorney Matt Powell said, “I don’t dispute that it’s more expensive,” but said he never takes cost into account when deciding whether to seek the death penalty.

Which is from here.

There is no positive to it. it costs more to execute them than it does to let them live in a prison their entire life (appeals and court stuff). It isn't a deterrent because the type of people who deserve this aren't the type of people to think "Hey, they might kill me for this." And sometimes people get executed who are innocent. 

No positive at all.

Aside from that, I'm not against it depending on the situation.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

10/10 id vote for this!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I'm not fond of killing someone just because someone decides it.

I'm more of a "everyone deserves to live no matter if they killed your family or mine".

but I'm also fond of "let them live being tortured to near death" but won't be killed until he grows old and die.

Live your life like a dream.

Aside from the non existent failure rate of the firing squad it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the other methods in use.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

No. It costs quite a bit more to execute someone when you tally all the court time they use through appeals.

Hm, I didn't think about the court time and whatnot, but if you think about it, even somebody who is imprisoned will still take up a lot of court time and legal fees trying to get out of prison. Just saying. Either way, it costs a lot.

Aside from the non existent failure rate of the firing squad it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the other methods in use.

Exactly. If the firing squad was implemented across all of the States, that would cut down on a ton of the fees.

COMIC SANS

So somebody kills another person. What you're saying is that the murderer should be allowed to live even though he ended somebody else's life? Those who end other people's lives should not be allowed to live. They're criminals. They're murderers. A life for a life is how I see it. The only way that person would be able to get out of the death penalty is if a close relative of the person killed stopped the execution, like what happened recently. 

And if you accidentally kill someone?...(Eg. car accident )

It's not even close to a murderer,but you still kill someone.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i find it amusing how americans are the most religious idiots ever but keep killing people.

I agree. America has a culture of violence. American video games, movies, TV, and music all portray violence. While the Americans have GTA, the Swedish have Minecraft lol

Killing somebody isn't a good punishment at all. Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life, that'll make him think about what he's done. And if the US would stop throwing just about everyone in jail for years, just for marijuana possession, pirating mp3s and other pathetic non-vilent crimes, maybe they'd have more money to keep a few long-term inmates.

Your logic is a bit faulty here. Why does killing a person, sanction the killing of the killer? Would it be permisable for the state to steal from someone, who was convicted of stealing? Should we convicted murderes to be executed the same way they killed people?

While murder is morally reprehensible, i fail to see how another murder makes it right. Killing the murdere, doesn't bring back the person who was murdered.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If I was going to be executed I'd want to be shot, however executing people in the US is an enormous waste of money and despite the expenditure they still manage to kill innocents.

I am against the death penalty as long as there is a margin for error in trial as there has been proven to exist multiple times over, at least if someone is given life without parole and later found innocent they can be released, you can't resurrect the dead.

Some "murderers" find being executed as the easy way out. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

"To kill a man in a paroxysm of passion is understandable, but to have him killed by someone else after calm and serious meditation and on the pretext of duty honourably discharged is incomprehensible."

Also,what happens to the person who gets hundreds of people killed,let's say someone who starts a war for something.Do we kill that guy hundreds of times?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

And if you accidentally kill someone?...(Eg. car accident )

It's not even close to a murderer,but you still kill someone.

We actually covered this in our law studies class. So long as you're not doing anything illegal (speeding, drinking/driving, etc.), then you won't get into any legal trouble, because you technically didn't do anything wrong/illegal. 

COMIC SANS