LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

Alright, I got the pi4 setup and folding, just gotta figure out how I can connect to it remotely to my windows client to get updates and progress. 

56 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

I have yet to figure out how to get any of my CPU’s to fold without dragging down the GPU’s PPD significantly… 

i given up trying myself.

go with easier wu for both you cpu and gpu. tend to solve the issue. with out trying to figure out the limtier issue.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, dogwitch said:

i given up trying myself.

go with easier wu for both you cpu and gpu. tend to solve the issue. with out trying to figure out the limtier issue.

So its not just me then?  I'm sure a few people said I was imagining things and it shouldn't be having an impact, despite it being an issue on all my Windows machines.  I have to keep the threads REALLY low.

Example, guess which one I cranked the CPU threads up on and which has no CPU folding at all:

image.thumb.png.e28c0bfd3a08d7b6f5b99e5c1f3cae65.png

Although it doesn't help that the core clock rates dropped by 500Mhz, but even when I was using PBO on the ASUS board where core clock didn't reduce, it still happened.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Your client configs still aren't right, still at ~600k ppd

Even if there is still something wrong I have no idea what to change or what I can change.

My native client is putting out barely any more than my virtualized client so it doesn't seem like that's at fault.

Native Linux is putting out more GPU on average than Windows virtualized but not the 900K advertised. So that sounds like a config issue but what config? 🤷‍♂️

There was a small bump after we hopefully corrected the passkey but the numbers still don't add up correctly on my end. I'm lost.

4 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

I have yet to figure out how to get any of my CPU’s to fold without dragging down the GPU’s PPD significantly… 

On the Windows end of things, I've just never been able to make it happen. Even just folding with a handful of threads on the CPU on my main system seems to tank the PPD of my GPUs, so I don't bother.

Linux's CPU scheduler seems to do better with it, for me. As long as I take off two threads for each GPU, they keep churning at the same rate.

23 minutes ago, Baha said:

On the Windows end of things, I've just never been able to make it happen. Even just folding with a handful of threads on the CPU on my main system seems to tank the PPD of my GPUs, so I don't bother.

Linux's CPU scheduler seems to do better with it, for me. As long as I take off two threads for each GPU, they keep churning at the same rate.

That's an interesting observation which I should have realised given both my Linux foldboxes seem to be immune to the problem.

I guess I glossed over it as I spend so much time looking at the machines with the beefier GPUs, both Windows.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Even if there is still something wrong I have no idea what to change or what I can change.

My native client is putting out barely any more than my virtualized client so it doesn't seem like that's at fault.

Native Linux is putting out more GPU on average than Windows virtualized but not the 900K advertised. So that sounds like a config issue but what config? 🤷‍♂️

There was a small bump after we hopefully corrected the passkey but the numbers still don't add up correctly on my end. I'm lost.

The numbers wont go up until the bonus kicks in, question is why it isn't doing so.

You're 100% sure the new passkey and usernames in the clients match exactly?

Guys my PC just blackscreened twice while folding, what do I do? I fold on 64% power limit (with custom fan curve that sits at 80% fan speed when folding) and the GPU still seems to be not liking any of it...

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Damn I got the message late as I watched october 27th's wan show today, any chance to still register for some folding?

5 minutes ago, Michael08468 said:

Damn I got the message late as I watched october 27th's wan show today, any chance to still register for some folding?

You can fold along with the team, but the registration is closed. It’s a really small team who puts this together & adding after it starts is not possible 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

🎉🎉🎉 I have a badge 🎉🎉🎉

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

On 11/4/2023 at 4:09 AM, AndrewHamOp said:

They're doing pretty well, I'm getting a little over 2900 PPD on Pi #01 which is overclocked running at 2.2GHz. Pi #02 is an older revision of the 4 that doesn't handle higher frequencies as well, so I'm getting almost 2650 PPD at 1.8GHz with that. It'll be interesting to see how the Pi 5 handles once I get a hold of one.

I'm heading up to my grandpa's house today to reboot my server (which is really just my old PC with no dedicated GPU). It's an i7 4790k so the PPD won't be crazy compared to my 7800x3D but it'll certainly be better than leaving it idle.

Did you follow a guide on making the headless system accessible via remote?  Trying to find something with no luck.

Just now, Dark_Hunter said:

Did you follow a guide on making the headless system accessible via remote?  Trying to find something with no luck.

Ah, more like I scoured the internet for a full 12 hours fueled by nothing except oxygen and rage. If you look a few posts up I linked to some helpful information on how to get FAHControl running on Debian/Raspberry Pi OS (also worked for Mint).

With the default packages installed on Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye, I was able to get FAHClient running with no issues. (Might've had to install one or two packages with apt --fix-broken install, don't remember) I simply installed the ARM64 Debian package using dpkg -i, and followed the install process from there. Sometimes it will ask you to set up an identity in the command line, and sometimes you have to do it using the web panel.

FAHControl was a different story entirely... Because of their reliance on some older version of python, you have to install an older version manually using packages downloaded from the Debian website. The packages in question aren't available from apt-get anymore so that's why I had to go looking for them myself. Then I had to use some random command line tool to fake having the correct version of python installed (despite actually installing it) so that FAHControl would attempt to use the correct version and properly run. Once open, I had no further issues with FAHControl and was able to set up remote management over the network in FAHControl on my Windows machine.

One of my PIs is actually down right now. I'm hoping it's just a Wi-Fi connection issue and not my SD card giving up the ghost.

On another note, has anyone tried folding with the Steam Deck? If it's possible on Debian, surely someone could compile the client and control software to run on Arch (If someone hasn't already). I'd give it a try myself, but the partition that my Deck uses for downloading dependencies and such for compiling programs is almost full and I really don't want to boot into Mint and fix it again...

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

12 minutes ago, Dark_Hunter said:

Edit: misread the statement. Disregard.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

14 minutes ago, Dark_Hunter said:

If it's specifically for F@H, perhaps gorgon's guide might be useful?

unless I'm again misunderstanding

In this regard the v8 client (in beta) is just so much better

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

On another note, has anyone tried folding with the Steam Deck? If it's possible on Debian, surely someone could compile the client and control software to run on Arch (If someone hasn't already). I'd give it a try myself, but the partition that my Deck uses for downloading dependencies and such for compiling programs is almost full and I really don't want to boot into Mint and fix it again...

I did briefly, it works fine for CPU folding only but I don't think its worth wearing it out doing so.

4 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

If it's specifically for F@H, perhaps gorgon's guide might be useful?

unless I'm again misunderstanding

In this regard the v8 client (in beta) is just so much better

Thank you I'll look into this.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I did briefly, it gets really hot.

Fan no go brrrr?

5 minutes ago, Dark_Hunter said:

Thank you I'll look into this.

Fan no go brrrr?

Its a Steam Deck, fan always go brrr. 😛

17 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I did briefly, it works fine for CPU folding only but I don't think its worth wearing it out doing so.

Yeah, I figured as much. I wouldn't want to wear out my battery either. Does GPU folding work properly?

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

7 minutes ago, Dark_Hunter said:

Yay I got it working!

image.png.c811077063bbaf3e593bd5cfe5b6ab8a.png

Awesome! I hope you found the information I collected useful. Assuming you used those links I mentioned at all?

53 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

🎉🎉🎉 I have a badge 🎉🎉🎉

Wait, can we ask for badges at any time, or do we wait until the event is over because the organizers have enough to do already?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Wait, can we ask for badges at any time, or do we wait until the event is over because the organizers have enough to do already?

I guess it depends if you have to meet the minimum event participation rules to get the badge, which I'd think you would so would need the event to finish first.

7 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

Awesome! I hope you found the information I collected useful. Assuming you used those links I mentioned at all?

I must admit I tried looking for your mention of the links you posted and could not find them, even searching your profile by posts you made, I used the gorgon thread to help.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It seems you can just put a request in the thread (provided you meet the requirements) and they (the mods who distribute the badges) will award it when they log on and see it.

Annoyingly, I'll reach the level for the silver badge by thursday.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station