LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd like to say if I won the lottery I wouldn't be buying servers and GPUs with the money but I totally know I would haha

Same 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd like to say if I won the lottery I wouldn't be buying servers and GPUs with the money but I totally know I would haha

i make a charity cloud set up.

multi gpus/cpu/storage.

i also lean into solar for it to..

for sort term usage cases.

like temp  storage across borders etc stuff.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

i make a charity cloud set up.

multi gpus/cpu/storage.

i also lean into solar for it to..

for sort term usage cases.

like temp  storage across borders etc stuff.

If I won the lottery I would set up a charity that takes used workstation and server hardware from HPC/Data centres/whatever and offer it for very low cost or free to people who do DC and families in need. (Old workstations for families in need, not rackmounts lmfao) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

If I won the lottery I would set up a charity that takes used workstation and server hardware from HPC/Data centres/whatever and offer it for very low cost or free to people who do DC and families in need. (Old workstations for families in need, not rackmounts lmfao) 

yes and education on how to work on real hardware/software.

for me.

i just want enough money to live a decent life.

extra would go into a charity fund and then invesments to keep the life and the charity going.

i never been greedy in the way i ever lived.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

2 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

yes and education on how to work on real hardware/software.

for me.

i just want enough money to live a decent life.

extra would go into a charity fund and then invesments to keep the life and the charity going.

i never been greedy in the way i ever lived.

I mean, with the amount of older server hardware that is basically thrown away you could kit out entire schools, maker spaces, libraries, tech clubs etc... It would just be about having enough people to manage such a massive amount of units 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

24 minutes ago, Struck said:

Still a bad buy when you consider the ppd/W ? even taking the price of puchase, the effeciency should make up for it quite quickly i think. I have not done the math though.

4080 is currently best for power usage per PPD.

4070ti is the sweet spot for cost of card & power usage per PPD as @GOTSpectrum mentioned.

4090 is a beast for gaming / machine learning etc. but for folding you can buy two 4070tis for the same price as a 4090, get more PPD overall while completing 2x the work units.

https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks_power_to_ppd

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Just now, LAR_Systems said:

4070ti is the sweet spot for cost of card & power usage per PPD as @GOTSpectrum mentioned.

4090 is a beast for gaming / machine learning etc. but for folding you can buy two 4070tis for the same price as a 4090, get more PPD overall while completing 2x the work units.

plus with two slot 4070tis, you can theoretically fit two in a standard desktop config without much hassle which is nice 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

plus with two slot 4070tis, you can theoretically fit two in a standard desktop config without much hassle which is nice 

Yep, possibly on a power supply / cables you already own as well.

Way lower total cost of ownership.

Some of my gear is getting pretty old / inefficient but I'm rolling with it in part as the mods / upgrades I would have to make to go to the latest gen cards in terms of physical size to house, power supply, heat dissipation etc. are also cost factors.

When you go ALL in on a parts list... suddenly it gets expensive if it means not replacing everything you plug cards in to 4060tis from a size/power connector and wattage perspective almost start making sense.

That said... I'm more likely to just wait and start building a new custom GPU housing and stack PSU for my next build as I'm not likely to fit 4x of any card on a single PSU in an enclosed case much longer at a price and noise I'm willing to run in an area where I also work.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

used 4070 ti

is 550 to 650 ...

wow

I dont normally fold since I have a couple of servers that dont have GPUs and I use them for business 😕

I decided to partially dedicate my school laptop (i7-10870H and RTX3070 Mobile / Max-Q, 8GB dedicated GPU memory) to folding for this month and apparently I have earned about 7.1 million points in 3 days and about 28 work units. Been working on tuning it so that I can go full bore and still be able to do what I need for school (been a little tricky since I keep stopping folding by accident).

I did not expect it to be so high, but I think I am power constrained on my GPU since it is continuously pulling about 80W (I disabled CPU slot since I could not stop it easily due to the long WU times).

GO FOLDING!

2 minutes ago, soccermomisqueen said:

I dont normally fold since I have a couple of servers that dont have GPUs and I use them for business 😕

I decided to partially dedicate my school laptop (i7-10870H and RTX3070 Mobile / Max-Q, 8GB dedicated GPU memory) to folding for this month and apparently I have earned about 7.1 million points in 3 days and about 28 work units. Been working on tuning it so that I can go full bore and still be able to do what I need for school (been a little tricky since I keep stopping folding by accident).

I did not expect it to be so high, but I think I am power constrained on my GPU since it is continuously pulling about 80W (I disabled CPU slot since I could not stop it easily due to the long WU times).

GO FOLDING!

You seem to be right on track for a 3070 2-3 Mill PPD per day. Mobile https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/ga104m_geforce_rtx_3070_mobile_max-q_8gb16gb

You will see fluctuation in PPD rewards depending on what work units you get assigned randomly, so some days you will get more PPD than others. 

That also said on the mobile, power constraint is likely a secondary factor to thermal throttling on a Laptop so do what you can to keep it cool, fans / vents clear of obstructions etc. and you might find that helps squeeze a bit more PPD.   Related to this, turning off CPU folding is a good plan as doing both on a laptop almost always ends up with massive thermal throttling as many designs share the same heat pipe and fan for both CPU and GPU. 

27 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

used 4070 ti

is 550 to 650 ...

wow

is that good or bad in your eyes? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well I'm down to my 6700XT. The rig with the 5700XT keeps shutting down.

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

is that good or bad in your eyes? 

us bucks.

when a used 2080 was less then 500 used . when the 3080 came out.

ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 is 614 used.

pricing still bad thru.

15 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

You seem to be right on track for a 3070 2-3 Mill PPD per day. Mobile https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/ga104m_geforce_rtx_3070_mobile_max-q_8gb16gb

You will see fluctuation in PPD rewards depending on what work units you get assigned randomly, so some days you will get more PPD than others. 

That also said on the mobile, power constraint is likely a secondary factor to thermal throttling on a Laptop so do what you can to keep it cool, fans / vents clear of obstructions etc. and you might find that helps squeeze a bit more PPD.   Related to this, turning off CPU folding is a good plan as doing both on a laptop almost always ends up with massive thermal throttling as many designs share the same heat pipe and fan for both CPU and GPU. 

Unfortunately, my laptop does have a shared heat pipe 😞

I am currently using my trusty RJ-45 crimping tool to prop the fans off of the desk to get more fresh air (I use my laptop with the lid closed attached to 2 4K monitors).

The temps look fine-ish. I am getting mid 90's with the occasional spike to 100C on the CPU hotspot (below is a screenshot of my linux toolbar temperature tool). The GPU is floating around at about 80C.

image.png.9f6b3d2a2e171cca1070c58195ec0810.png

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

4070ti is the sweet spot when tuned correctly afaik.

@Gorgon would know better than me though, he's the man who does all the testing. 

The 4090 seems more power efficient if you actually compare the same project:

image.thumb.png.98a6449b5cfab1bcec8d37a1712e2632.png

Like you said though, it can vary more project to project.  But I'd say so far its been quite rare for it to get a WU that performs identical to the 4070 Ti, but I have had it happen a couple of times.  I wasn't monitoring power consumption at the time though so it may have still been more power efficient.

Though based on this I suspect the 4080 might actually be the sweet spot, if it wasn't so close to the price of a 4090 which made more sense to me to just go for the top end as its going to hold more value over time.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

So many people here have bought RTX 40-series GPUs for folding. I wonder how much higher the proportion is compared to, well, non-folders. Cuz outside of compute performance, RTX 40-series GPUs don't really offer too much exciting gaming-related stuff over previous-gen GPUs.

Depends on what kind of gamer you are.  I've been playing The Talos Principle 2 and at 4K with everything maxed out it hammers the 4090.  I believe Alan Wake 2 also really benefits from the 40x0 series.

Given how many new games will be UE5, I think the 40x0 series is going to be much more important if you want the best graphics.  Its just the most vocal online tend to be people playing competitive shooters where frame rate is more important than how pretty it looks.

We have a generation or two of gamers that completely missed most of the 3D years of PC gaming, where buying a new card was primarily to make the game LOOK better, rather than perform better.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I don't think that is true either, as the INNO3D two slot is only available at scalper prices now in the UK and largely unavailable at all outside Europe.  Plus plenty of cases lack venting in the PSU shroud which prevents fitting one in the second slot.

This is what happens when it's 49F/9C outside and you leave a box fan in your window. I may not have a fancy AIO but I do have the power of outside air! I also have dogs to keep me warm at night so it all works out...hahaha. I can only imagine what will happen when we get some colder temperatures, as I fully intend on leaving my window open until it gets into the 30s / around negative C.

7800x3D with NH-U12A and -30 Curve Optimizer in BIOS.

Edit: For reference my CPU usually runs around 80-82C

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.PNG

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

How are you calculating power consumption?  Because neither my 4070 Ti or 4090s actually get close to the TDP of the card, so if you're basing on that its wildly inaccurate.

image.thumb.png.d5ba8501ed8ce52abe3db30ba09c35fa.png

The only time I've seen my 4090 get close to its power limit so far is in The Talos Principle 2.

Was actually amusing as I was playing The Crew 2 recently and the 4090 was sat at ~120W at 4K because that games engine is 60fps capped.

16 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How are you calculating power consumption?  Because neither my 4070 Ti or 4090s actually get close to the TDP of the card, so if you're basing on that its wildly inaccurate.

image.thumb.png.d5ba8501ed8ce52abe3db30ba09c35fa.png

What are you generating these charts with? I have a mighty need...

(My 3060s are consuming about 120 watts of board power apiece, according to GPU-Z.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

us bucks.

when a used 2080 was less then 500 used . when the 3080 came out.

ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 is 614 used.

pricing still bad thru.

whoa, over here used 4070ti's still sel for 800+ euros.
you might aswell buy new at that point, most go for 850 new.

15 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What are you generating these charts with? I have a mighty need...

(My 3060s are consuming about 120 watts of board power apiece, according to GPU-Z.)

Unfortuantely its a hacked together system using my own code with a tendency to break occasionally. 😉

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

4070ti is the sweet spot when tuned correctly afaik.

@Gorgon would know better than me though, he's the man who does all the testing. 

I haven't had the opportunity to test a 4090 but from the number of CUDA Cores and the theoretical FP32 performance, assuming both that it scales linearly (it does) and you can keep it fed with big WUS, it will be the most efficient.

The issues are that your don't always get big enough WUs and without risers you can't get more than one in a normal ATX case and to support more than 1 GPU and then you also are getting past the 850-1000W "sweet spot" for power supplies and into the realm of much more expensive 1200-1600W units that have enough PCIe PEG Power Connectors.

The 4080 should be a better value than the 4070ti but it's price point is (still) too high so the 4070ti tends to be at the price and efficiency "sweet-spots" but the 4070 might be better for dual rigs as this is the first model with 2 slot cards available (excluding that Inno3D 4070ti model that is dear in North America and someone (cough @GOTSpectrum @Alex Atkin UK @RollinLower) seem to have bought all the European stock of.)

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m