Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

2 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Which community? His community? I don't understand

Really want to know this. 

I imagine its just the tech community in general being referred to - us nerds who buy our own hardware, build our own PCs, overclock them, and are generally interested in PC hardware and computing performance more than just "can it play my games okay?"

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Everybody is talking mindless about a big happy community. What is this community? Where is this community? And how did Steve get to own this community?

To be honest, its a bunch of tribes with overlapping interests. One with 15 mill members, one with 2 mill. Maybe they intersect, doesn't matter. Its not like LTT or GN chose these tribes, quite the opposite, the tribal members chose.

So whose community is Steve helping? And WHY? Does he need to recruit members for his tribe? What? 

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

I imagine its just the tech community in general being referred to - us nerds who buy our own hardware, build our own PCs, overclock them, and are generally interested in PC hardware and computing performance more than just "can it play my games okay?"

No, no, we have tribes. Its a feel good thing to talk about a community and doing good, but at the end of the day, its tribes, again LTT with 15 mil members, GN with 2 mil. Thats all there is. 

If it was one big happy community full of commies, there wouldnt be any need to subscribe and stuff. We wouldn't be forced to choose. Youtube tech would have been a completely different app with all these dummies posting content all day long for us to enjoy.

I thought that they tested their products thoroughly so the consumer would get the best advice possible on that product well we were all fooled I just cannot trust LTT anymore and I'm sure that there will be a lot of people unsubscribing from the channel this is what happens when greed takes over his own employees were telling him that we need to spend more time on testing but he wouldn't even listen to them that's someone you cannot trust

6 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Everybody is talking mindless about a big happy community. What is this community? Where is this community? And how did Steve get to own this community?

To be honest, its a bunch of tribes with overlapping interests. One with 15 mill members, one with 2 mill. Maybe they intersect, doesn't matter. Its not like LTT or GN chose these tribes, quite the opposite, the tribal members chose.

So whose community is Steve helping? And WHY? Does he need to recruit members for his tribe? What? 

I mean a HUGE percentage of those who watch Steve also watch Linus. The reason Steve has so many less subscribers is simple: Too complex and not enough entertainment for the average consumer just getting interested in tech or just trying to build a PC good enough to game or stream and otherwise has no idea what these parts even are or what they do.

Basically, LMG is level 1 tech but sometimes they do some level 2 or 3 stuff for fun. Hardware Unboxed and JaysTwoCents are primarily level 2 tech channels. Steve has always been and will always be primarily a level 3 tech channel - for those who truly understand more in-depth details about how PCs operate and truly want the most in-depth details.

Current Build Thread:

I mean a HUGE percentage of those who watch Steve also watch Linus. The reason Steve has so many less subscribers is simple: Too complex and not enough entertainment for the average consumer just getting interested in tech or just trying to build a PC good enough to game or stream and otherwise has no idea what these parts even are or what they do.

Basically, LMG is level 1 tech but sometimes they do some level 2 or 3 stuff for fun. Hardware Unboxed and JaysTwoCents are primarily level 2 tech channels. Steve has always been and will always be primarily a level 3 tech channel - for those who truly understand more in-depth details about how PCs operate and truly want the most in-depth details.

they are nowhere near level 1 tech... they are like a 5th level tech at best... and a level 2 comedian most of the time...

doubt a "huge" percentage of GN's viewers care much for LTT, yes there will be some, but doubt it is over half to be honest... people that watch GN care for the detail and accurate reviews... and not the fool around faffery

8 minutes ago, Killer Systems Computers said:

I thought that they tested their products thoroughly so the consumer would get the best advice possible on that product well we were all fooled I just cannot trust LTT anymore and I'm sure that there will be a lot of people unsubscribing from the channel this is what happens when greed takes over his own employees were telling him that we need to spend more time on testing but he wouldn't even listen to them that's someone you cannot trust

I believe there are many types of people, but three of them would be: 1. People that can read through the lines and understand what Linus said in that Billet review

2. People that can't read through the lines, are less geeky and need a procedure to understand what Linus said in that video

3.People that understand that even if they would've followed the procedure the conclusion would be exactly the same

No, thats not level 3, but besides the point.

Even if there is huge overlap, the overlap can be at max 13 percent. Thats the true nature of it, no way around it. Creators are usually pretty shook up about youtubes algorithm for this very reason. And many people have shared their concern about it in the past, they are sharing it about it right now. So again, given the maximum which is truly gargantuan task to achieve, wtf man, my question still remains, whose tribe or community as you say, is Steve trying to communicate to and why?

Even if there is huge overlap, the overlap can be at max 13 percent. Thats the true nature of it, no way around it. Creators are usually pretty shook up about youtubes algorithm for this very reason. And many people have shared their concern about it in the past, they are sharing it about it right now. So again, given the maximum which is truly gargantuan task to achieve, wtf man, my question still remains, whose tribe or community as you say, is Steve trying to communicate to and why?

actually the overlap could be (technically) 100%... depends on where you look from...

100% of GN's viewers could technically also watch LTT... though lets just say that is so unlikely that it would require two thursdays in a week before it came true.

The funniest thing will happen, let me write it down for future reference.

These kind of things happen all the time in Facebook, happens less often in YouTube. In facebook, a group suddenly gets an influx of new members, like 1000% growth in a couple of days, all threads in hot, conversations going everywhere, then in a week, things die down. The groups reach suddenly suffers tremendously as there isn't enough engagement to member count. 

GN will get an influx of new subs because people usually want to do the right thing. The unsub from LTT, sub to GN. Then the view rate, viewed minutes, engagement die down. Home page recommender wouldn't really recommend a low engagement video to new users. There you go. Steve cannot go about decreasing his unwanted subscribers anyways, this is not twitch. Lessssgoooo bro.

Well, either he starts making fun videos, the option will be to become the guy you vilified, or get crushed by youtube algo. 

I'm pretty sure its way more than 13%. With an extremely nerdy and in-depth channel like GN, almost nobody finds them before finding Linus first.

Also again the answer is simple - hes talking to the tech community. This is no different than when he called out ASUS for their poor handling of the AM5 MotherBoards that melted Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

LMG is exactly the same as ASUS in Steves mind. Its the same song and dance as usual - so its the same community. If you can't believe or accept that then I suppose thats your own personal problem.

However, unfortunately for you... Thats the truth...

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

actually the overlap could be (technically) 100%... depends on where you look from...

100% of GN's viewers could technically also watch LTT... though lets just say that is so unlikely that it would require two thursdays in a week before it came true.

Yeah, again, given the numbers from youtube monitoring tools, the number can be at max, 13% of LTT's community, thats what I meant. 100% of GN tribe isn't much to LTT tribe.

Also, going by the ad cpm, the buying power of 100% of GN tribe isn't the same as 13% of LTT tribe, so it looks these are not the exact same audience. LTTs rate is way higher, shows that similar chunk of LTT audience has a higher income on average hence higher buying capabilities. My two cents

4 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Absolutely KILLER build you've got there. Amazing work Congrats!

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

Yeah, again, given the numbers from youtube monitoring tools, the number can be at max, 13% of LTT's community, thats what I meant. 100% of GN tribe isn't much to LTT tribe.

Also, going by the ad cpm, the buying power of 100% of GN tribe isn't the same as 13% of LTT tribe, so it looks these are not the exact same audience. LTTs rate is way higher, shows that similar chunk of LTT audience has a higher income on average hence higher buying capabilities. My two cents

Literally my entire original point was that most of GNs viewers watch LMG, not the other way around. I was literally saying it from the viewpoint of GNs numbers the entire time.

Also makes perfect sense that only 13% of LMG viewers make it as deep as the level 3 channel, doesn't it?

Level whatever, I literally made the levels up on the spot, it doesn't matter. You know exactly what I mean, no need to pretend that you dont lol 🤣

Current Build Thread:

7 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I'm pretty sure its way more than 13%. With an extremely nerdy and in-depth channel like GN, almost nobody finds them before finding Linus first.

Also again the answer is simple - hes talking to the tech community. This is no different than when he called out ASUS for their poor handling of the AM5 MotherBoards that melted Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

LMG is exactly the same as ASUS in Steves mind. Its the same song and dance as usual - so its the same community. If you can't believe or accept that then I suppose thats your own personal problem.

However, unfortunately for you... Thats the truth...

You overestimate the amount of people that are looking for dry, incredibly-detail-focussed content when they get on YouTube. The reason LMG channels have a lot more subscribers than GN, is because LMG makes their videos entertaining, and that's what sells on social media. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, atxcyclist said:

You overestimate the amount of people that are looking for dry, incredibly-detail-focussed content when they get on YouTube. The reason LMG channels have a lot more subscribers than GN, is because LMG makes their videos entertaining which is what sells on social media. 

I literally just said that lol 🤣

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, andreimj said:

Absolutely KILLER build you've got there. Amazing work Congrats!

What? The quote is blank. Also wasn't talking about a build?

Im confused now, ur screwing with me aren't you? Lol 🤣

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

Literally my entire original point was that most of GNs viewers watch LMG, not the other way around. I was literally saying it from the viewpoint of GNs numbers the entire time.

Also makes perfect sense that only 13% of LMG viewers make it as deep as the level 3 channel, doesn't it?

Level whatever, I literally made the levels up on the spot, it doesn't matter. You know exactly what I mean, no need to pretend that you dont lol 🤣

Yeah sorry man. Kind of got swept in the conversation. Well to be honest, Steve's ad hominem attack did not sit well with me. That was all I am trying to say.

Also if you look at LTT audience, with these kind of higher CPM rates in North America, these people wouldn't go to GN even if GN begged them. They may go now, but they would rather watch braindead Netflix shows than to watch GN. 

In theory, these audience should have higher disposable income, either their own, or their parents, not really serious about getting bang for the buck. These are like apple users (I am one as well, at work), who just enjoys tech.

4 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

I literally just said that lol 🤣

No, it isn't. And really, it's the 'same community' like minivan drivers and sports car drivers are in the same community; One has purchased a vehicle because it's practical, the other is trying to have fun. Fun is more palatable to more people than minutiae, it's that simple. There are going to be plenty of LLT viewers that are not at all entertained by GN's content, because those people are looking for energetic and fun content, not just bars and numbers on a graph.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

What? The quote is blank. Also wasn't talking about a build?

Im confused now, ur screwing with me aren't you? Lol 🤣

I was trying to compliment your PC build. I didn't know how to reply to your post so I deleted your previous comment and left it blank😂😂

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

You overestimate the amount of people that are looking for dry, incredibly-detail-focussed content when they get on YouTube. The reason LMG channels have a lot more subscribers than GN, is because LMG makes their videos entertaining, and that's what sells on social media. 

well apparently just over 2 millions likes true information... wouldn't call him dry but yeah people with short attentionspans brag about speeding up to 2x speed etc. I would call him extremely thorough though, which can sometimes be a it much... But he also fight for us users to keep companies from doing scummy things that hurts us users, I can appreciate that, not many want to do that, since it has a cost (no freebies from companies and such if they feel called out) but they could just make proper products and not try to scam users (or burn down their homes because they cheaped out on the products due to greed)

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

You overestimate the amount of people that are looking for dry, incredibly-detail-focussed content when they get on YouTube. The reason LMG channels have a lot more subscribers than GN, is because LMG makes their videos entertaining which is what sells on social media. 

Oh also 2 million is not a small amount. Like not at all.

Fun fact: I build RC cars. These aren't WalMart Toys, these are adult-level hobby-grade machines.

The world record was actually just beaten recently with a 1/7th scale Arrma Limitless-based custom build that clocked in at about 220 MPH, for example.

You know the largest RC YT channel has 3.6M subscribers. In second place is a channel with 2.4M and honestly he recently exploded because this time last year he hadn't even breached 1M yet.

Tech is not even CLOSE to a Niche community. I watch channels at least weekly that have well under 100K subs. Steves channel is not even close to small.

Current Build Thread:

11 hours ago, Vexenar said:

Both are bad, but when a prototype costs 2000$ and a company asks 800$ for the finished product people are going to naturally ask questions about why the price of the finished product is still so high.

So in that sense, LMG releasing the prototype cost will damage Billit Labs because people are going to wonder if it's worth that price. 
Naturally we are talking about something akin to custom watercooling which is in the space of enthusiasts, but still. 

these two things are completely unrelated... why would prototype price not be higher,  are you saying if prototype cost 2000 end product should be 5 pennies?  Where do you draw the line lmao?

you're making a correlation where there is none.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, andreimj said:

I was trying to compliment your PC build. I didn't know how to reply to your post so I deleted your previous comment and left it blank😂😂

Well thanks thats what I thought but I couldn't be sure I was lost for a sec there lol 🤣

Current Build Thread:

6 hours ago, Razercake said:

oh lol, that is my reply, I don't fully recall the context. must be warranty related but I'd wager if you go to the WAN show from that week, you can find the topic. looking at my comment should be pretty easy to figure out what part of the WAN show OP was referencing specifically. 

Found it! Yeah it's nothing. Still, it's a funny coincidence that the original video from GN came out, to a DAY, year after Linus talks about him.Screenshot_20230817_153317_Firefox.thumb.jpg.798ab150cdf64577634f0bce92ba5b65.jpg

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?