Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

8 minutes ago, mMontana said:

@stflames01 no one is impeeding you to trust/love them.

but please, don't be a blind fan...

Nope. I may wear glasses but the state gave me a license so I guess I'm ok. 

And no one is asking you to not have doubts but to allow people to opportunity to fix mistakes when they make them. Even if its a "large" corporation.

Have a good day Sir 😄

1 minute ago, ZoliBen said:

Did they just delete the Madison thread that they branched out from this one?

1 minute ago, stylemessiah said:

it gone

Just now, linkboy said:

Yes, they did. 

It's back. Assuming it was a mistake. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

18 minutes ago, RLP said:

Watched the "What do we do now?" video, and yikes was it bad. 

I've seen politician videos where the teleprompter was actually in frame sound more sincere. Your entire company failed at reading the room. This wasn't a situation where levity was, in any way, appropriate - much less by injecting it as means to mention for profit things like sponsors or the store. 

Sincerity, at its core, is not scripted. 

Be damned if you do, be damned if you don't.

I was one of the people criticizing LMG heavily, I even unsubbed way before GN made that video due to the reasons cited in there.

What the hell did you actually want?

Them preparing the answers and reading off a teleprompt is not bad, quite on the contrary, considering the size of the company and the passionate response from the community on Steve's video doing that was the correct move.

A moronic step would be answering on the fly without any preparation and forethought, causing a trainwreck of the level of what Linus's first response was in this very topic.

Just now, linkboy said:

Yes, they did. 

Really not a good look.

Back now, works for me just fine: 

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Why was the Madison topic removed? 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1526538-madison-reveals-experiences-working-at-lmg/

Nevermind, it's back. Assuming it was a mistake.

Just simple mistake in moderation between hiding a comment and the whole topic by mistake.

Wasn't me but I'm not going to throw names under the bus 😅

Anyway, apologies for creating the concern.

Just watched Linus his apologie and I am missing 1 thing.
Where is the apology to Steve ?  Accusing him of bad journalistic ethics ... its the most unbiased reviewer out there.
Where is the apology to Hardware unboxed ?

Where is the apology to Billet ?

why does he even try to change the narrative once again on that monoblock ? 

So... now that we have a week to wait to see what LMG does to get their crap sorted....

I've been plenty supportive of the claims made against LMG, but what about GN? Where do I go to tell Steve my criticisms of his approach? Their forum is down, their Discord is Patreon, and I guess if I have to, there is always YT comments, but... I shouldn't have to explain why I think that would be a waste of my time.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

It's back. Assuming it was a mistake. 

someone defs toggled it off...it was early on mentioned that it was being talked about in moderation circles, so i expect it was toggled off, but why it was toggled back on remains a mystery. i dont think its helping anyone for it to continue

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Just simple mistake in moderation between hiding a comment and the whole topic by mistake.

Just now, stflames01 said:

What are you talking about? I'm looking at it right now. Nothing has been removed. It never was , Sir

It literally was, Sir. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

6 minutes ago, stylemessiah said:

it gone

im surprised it made 6 or so pages, as it always had legal issues written all over it

huh? works for me right here? 

2 minutes ago, Rimson said:

why does he even try to change the narrative once again on that monoblock ? 

He literally showed receipts and explained what happened. What more do you want him to do? 

ask me about my homelab

So COLTON is the one that should be fired.  The meme is now reality. 

7 minutes ago, RLP said:

Watched the "What do we do now?" video, and yikes was it bad. 

Sincerity, at its core, is not scripted. 

As for the apology video I would say it was a 7/10 at best where a 10 apology looks like this. 

NOT like this. 

Jeeze dude @LinusTech  First anyone saying you are a thief and a scumbag etc is going too too far with it.  Pointing out the legally, technically selling that prototype was theft is not wrong.  When a person entrust you with their property it is technically an even worse tort or crime to then sell it without taking certain legal steps.  i.e. if Billett didn't proactively come to get it for like a few years or something.    The technical term for it might be "Fraud".  Clearly there was no criminal intent but even without that it can still be a civil tort.   (I am not a lawyer but I have been sued, sued in forma pauperis, been on a Jury, and settled lawsuits in IL.  So a grain of salt on all I've said. I am an idiot). 

In law technicalities matter.  IT's all technicalities of words. 

The situation is like if you loan me the keys to your Tesla and I drive the car to Columbia and sell it to a drug lord... for charity ... to support my science research... that'd be theft. 

People telling you things are wrong are not necessarily attacking you.    I hope in dealing finally with this issue it is more than a word of trust.  Get lawyers and legal documents to settle this matter in a way that will be durable in a court even if in the future.   People can settle things on a handshake, without legally enforcible writing,  and without doccuments still sue anyway. 

Just now, Skipple said:

He literally showed receipts and explained what happened. What more do you want him to do? 

People run with skepticism as the default now. Sad state, but true.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Might be worth pinning the new video versus Linus' response since I believe it supersedes his previous response on the matter.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

17 minutes ago, Vexenar said:

I 100% agree with that sentiment, Linus his initial reaction completely undermined the damage control the new CEO had to do. 

If Linus cannot reply to criticism to his company due to his personal ego, then the best course of action would be for him to refrain to say anything. 
In this situation, it would have helped if they waited another day and let the actual CEO respond to the issues addressed. 

It’s pretty clear that his marching orders are to shut the fuck up going forward.

4 minutes ago, stflames01 said:

People run with skepticism as the default now. Sad state, but true.

tell me 1 thing, how many times did we caught Linus, blatantly lying to his community ?

People are right, Linus should shut the f*ck up and let emotional intelligent people (probably his wife or his CEO) take the first respons.

The video is an alright first step, not great but it is a start. There also needs to be a clear apology and thanks to GN because however Linus may feel about how it happened GN is what forced this change for the better. Will check back to see if the changes actually stick but good on Terren and Yvonne for putting their foot down and starting this process. Beyond that, the Madison situation is terrible and needs to be looked into and resolved as part of this house cleaning.

Just now, Rimson said:

tell me 1 thing, how many times did we caught Linus, blatantly lying to his community ?

People are right, Linus should shut the f*ck up and let emotional intelligent people (probably his wife or his CEO) take the first respons.

In theory, you're not wrong. In practice however this operation is still called LINUS Tech Tips. People expect him to be the head behind and in front of all things, because that's what we came to expect in the past 15 years.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

The timeline is bereft key context. On August 10th (before GN video aired) they emailed that they wanted to pay for the prototype value - but accidentally forgot to include Billet on the email, so Billet wasn't aware. I have seen this happen at my work (where I either was not copied onto an email by someone else, or I forgot to include someone in an email), so this is totally plausible. 

But Billet had been expecting the prototype back for weeks (LTT said they would return it for the first time on June 30th, and the auction was only on July 30th. LTT didn't tell Billet the prototype was missing until the tenth. The second email (the reply Billet was not copied in, offering to pay for the prototype) was the same day.

Also, in showing the receipts, LMG included the stated value (in GBP) of the prototype. This was redacted from the GN reply video, and was redacted in posts Billet made on the matter. But in this apology video, LMG includes it unredacted, plain as day. Billet clearly didn't want that information public or they would have revealed it themselves. So once again, LMG is doing an active disservice to Billet...

2 minutes ago, Rimson said:

OK, so people lie. Then what? What's the solution? After the emotional outburst of a response? You now have a proper team response showing they will do better. But hey, ultimately, you can stay and watch the change happen on leave me. Both valid choices.