Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

20 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

merch2.thumb.png.26c3f9977789911099c64f6109b163bc.png

And LMG makes an apology video in which:

• Multiple sponsor jokes (not funny or cool in an apology video)
  • Direct dialogue plug of an LTT screwdriver
  • Merch link in description of video
  • APOLOGY VIDEO IS MONETIZED

If anyone wants to complain about GN demonetizing their video and having no merch links or mentions of the specific merch in the video dialogue, but that it merely appeared silently on screen, what LMG did in this apology video was far worse.

1 minute ago, coopa said:

And LMG makes an apology video in which:

• Multiple sponsor jokes (not funny or cool in an apology video)
  • Direct dialogue plug of an LTT screwdriver
  • Merch link in description of video
  • APOLOGY VIDEO IS MONETIZED

If anyone wants to complain about GN demonetizing their video and having no merch links or mentions of the specific merch in the video dialogue, but that it merely appeared silently on screen, what LMG did in this apology video was far worse.

They have to make up for lost revenue somehow for not releasing videos for a week. 🤷‍♂️

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

2 minutes ago, stflames01 said:

OK, so people lie. Then what? What's the solution? After the emotional outburst of a response? You now have a proper team response showing they will do better. But hey, ultimately, you can stay and watch the change happen on leave me. Both valid choices. 

if you would lie, I wouldn't care less.
If someone, to who people are looking upto and who are using his review as fact and act/buy according to that opinion, lies then it is not "THEN WHAT?" 

Why are you holding Linus to the same standards as people who's opinion doesn't matter ?
Trust me there is a difference.

12 minutes ago, Amaninacity said:

It’s pretty clear that his marching orders are to shut the fuck up going forward.

Terren's going to sit next to Dan for every WAN Show from now on, holding a comically oversized red plunger button labeled "MUTE LINUS", one hand at the ready so he can mash it at a moment's notice.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

The takeoff of this whole ordeal was perfectly normal, Steve's first video was backed with cold facts and called for specific changes, but then everything has devolved into a circus grade youtube drama, honestly. Starting with the first reply posted by Linus, then a piece of condescending and emotional rant from Steve in his second video, and the borderline insane community reaction.

Sure LMG has issues (which have been already discussed and apparently addressed) but making it into a witch hunt for Linus personally? And any witch hunt at all? Yall need to chill and give time for the company to do something with the perfectly good piece of critique, while holding them accountable.

And the tweets from Madison, while they are worrisome and clearly point at certain issues that must be addressed, are still way over the head emotionally. People react to it as if the thread reads "person forcefully hired into a sweatshop run by rapey incells literally has to engage in self harm to get a leave from slave job" while in actuality it may be closer to "newbie with mental health troubles hurt by some manchildren at a poorly regulated company" - one will never know if all we have in terms of evidences is a Xitter rant thread.

46 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

merch.thumb.png.6a16581127f4cfac37823a8f55a9f657.png

At what point did Steve say to go to his merch store? He is using the same set he uses in every video.

26 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

merch2.thumb.png.26c3f9977789911099c64f6109b163bc.png

If people still think GN made the video for drama and views after all of this then I'm not sure what to say, nothing is going to change your defense of Linus because you think of him as your friend.

27 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

Everything IS there to make sales. He only didn’t monetize to add credibility. He 100% did well off the video with views and added subs. 

Again he's using the same set he always does in videos, he didn't monetize while LMG did monetize their video and plugged for the LTT Store. His video wasn't about it doing well at all.

3 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

The way GN and Billet labs made this story seems is that their one of a kind prefect prototype was needed back asap and the people at LTT sold it off. If the prototype sent to LTT was as important as they wanted everyone to believe when the pitchforks were out then why in an email did they admit to the original plan of them wanting LTT to keep it for use in future videos?

If you wanted your product back because you thought the video was negative, that's fine. But to not tell the complete story and to have everyone run with the narrative that this was a one of a kind prototype that can never be replaced seems wrong seeing as when you frist shipped it the plan was for LTT to keep it.

Seems like all companies involved (GN, BL, and LTT) either made a mistake somewhere during all of this drama or purposely mislead the situation

Screenshot_20230816_090939.jpg

UPDATE

For full transparency, Linus contacted us this evening saying it's likely he can get the block back from the buyer.   

We have declined this offer, and asked for the previously agreed monetary value instead for the following reasons:   

1) we have already spent a significant percentage of the value of the block in the last few days on replacement parts to build a new block, assuming we'd never see the original one again.   

2) we do not know if the original block is still in good working condition, and how much money will be needed to fix it if it's not.   

3) we don't know if any of the bespoke fittings are missing, each of these costs money to replace if they are.   

4) LTT have had our 3090ti without using it for 9 weeks, so we have lost confidence that they will return items quickly.   

5) LTT isn't currently in possession of the block, they've only said that they can get it back. We therefore don't know when we'd get it back, and time is of the essence.   

6) LTT has confirmed that the block is with a private individual rather than a rival company, so lost IP is much less of an issue.   

We wanted to state this publicly just in case anyone has any issues with the fact that the block has potentially been found, and we chose to take the money instead. We hope you understand our reasoning here. We can have our new block that we're currently making ready in the next couple of weeks, and we are sceptical that we would have the original block back in fully working condition in that amount of time – it would be a gamble at the very least.   

Much love   

Dean & Felix

Billet labs email makes all of this sound like BS

2 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

merch3.thumb.png.d216b2c938bd399606e773704ad1fc74.png

That is my full take on this to;  not to say his concerns are not right, his action and how he did this are;  it is a personel by Steve on Linus because of the lab tour comment by a team member;  which Linus did state was handled internally and yes a comment or 2, which he could of handled better too; but in the end, so could Steve;  but it is good to see Linus admit his fault, though hurt with the personel comments made towards him and his team; so yes he had to stop himself;  but making personel attacks are fully wrong and do nothing; and those who have and still do need to check themselfs

10 minutes ago, Rimson said:

tell me 1 thing, how many times did we caught Linus, blatantly lying to his community ?

People are right, Linus should shut the f*ck up and let emotional intelligent people (probably his wife or his CEO) take the first respons.

What did he lie about 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

At what point did Steve say to go to his merch store? He is using the same set he uses in every video.

If people still think GN made the video for drama and views after all of this then I'm not sure what to say, nothing is going to change your defense of Linus because you think of him as your friend.

Again he's using the same set he always does in videos, he didn't monetize while LMG did monetize their video. His video wasn't about it doing well at all.

I set this troll on ignore.... He annoyed the shit out of me...

7 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

why in an email did they admit to the original plan of them wanting LTT to keep it for use in future videos?

If you wanted your product back because you thought the video was negative, that's fine. But to not tell the complete story and to have everyone run with the narrative that this was a one of a kind prototype that can never be replaced seems wrong seeing as when you frist shipped it the plan was for LTT to keep it.

That was 2 months ago... Of course it can be replaced, just have to machine a new one, which costs quite a lot.

somehow that monoblock is going up tremendously in value...

The block that made this all happen 😄

that guy that won that auction made a solid deal! he probably can auction it off for triple (if not more) the value.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Again he's using the same set he always does in videos, he didn't monetize while LMG did monetize their video and plugged for the LTT Store. His video wasn't about it doing well at all.

He keeps posting memes like it's some kind of gotcha. 

1 minute ago, Vexenar said:

They have to make up for lost revenue somehow for not releasing videos for a week. 🤷‍♂️

I'd say it made more sense for Steve to disable monetization (and still put merch on stage) for his claims to be treated seriously and not like a piece of drama generating clicks. LTT on the other hand responds to those claims, they do not need to disable monetization to make it sound less like a clickbait video because they have no option but to respond. So might as well take some income from it anyway.

And the sponsor jokes were ok, we are overthinking it.

Just now, Rimson said:

somehow that monoblock is going up tremendously in value...

The block that made this all happen 😄

that guy that won that auction made a solid deal! he probably can auction it off for triple (if not more) the value.

eBay right now: "Selling a hunk of copper that nearly killed LTT/LMG" Starting at $10.000 🤣

Very happy with the response video and the steps you're taking. Linus appears to be appropriately taking a step back and evaluating, and I honestly have no idea how it feels to be on the receiving end of the pitchforks. I was holding one myself. I don't think for a second that Linus has bad intentions in his heart, but the humility and ability to be wrong has needed addressing. It's unfortunate it had to be like this, but it looks like the future holds improvement.

Edit: Never mind, I just read Madison's posts. You can not under any circumstances earn my respect back at this point.

3 minutes ago, VeryScary said:

What did he lie about 

1. Monoblock on 3-4 occasions (granted he probably wasn't responsible for it and perhaps some employee fucked up but still)

2. he lied about that power supply, granted his knowledge wasn't sufficient to begin forming an opinion there

3. that he acted ethically in his WAM shows towards his fello tech reviewers
I could probably find a few more but then again, it isn't my job to point them out. you can find them yourself

12 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

merch3.thumb.png.d216b2c938bd399606e773704ad1fc74.png

Steve is Chaotic Good in this context, to which I see no problem.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

3 minutes ago, dustypaws said:

eBay right now: "Selling a hunk of copper that nearly killed LTT/LMG" Starting at $10.000 🤣

I KNOW! I would do it !!!
The most important hunk of copper the world has ever seen !

After watching the apology video, I do think it's a step in the right direction. I do also think that there was a lot of strong emotions clouding judgement and causing issues all over. I appreciate them stating what they plan to do to fix things. I also looked at the email that was sent to Billet Labs (or meant to be sent, apparently one or so emails didn't get sent to them?), and the whole "at least it's not sitting on a shelf" thing is a bad look. However, I'd also argue that Steve made LTT look worse than they needed to. In his second video, he only used the whole "at least it's not sitting on a shelf" quote (I am paraphrasing slightly), and didn't bother to mention that LTT offered to send the prototype back ASAP after hearing what happened. So, shame on you, Steve. If Billet Labs didn't send you that part of the email, then I guess the issue falls on them. If they did, well, that's not very good journalism, Steve. Overall, I hope that LTT will stick to their word and improve.

Just now, Potatoes2241 said:

I'd say it made more sense for Steve to disable monetization (and still put merch on stage) for his claims to be treated seriously and not like a piece of drama generating clicks. LTT on the other hand responds to those claims, they do not need to disable monetization to make it sound less like a clickbait video because they have no option but to respond. So might as well take some income from it anyway.

In an apology video, you don't crack jokes because it makes it seem like you consider the whole thing a joke and are not taking the criticisms/issues at hand seriously.
You do not plug your own merch in an apology video because then, again, it makes it seem like your apology is insincere, you are taking it as a joke, plug something to make money. Nor do you leave your merch link in the description.
You do not leave monetization on for an apology video because even as you pause sales for the next week because this says you view your apology video as a money making opportunity and not something owed to the community.

All of these factors effectively cheapen LMG's response. They should replace the video as-is (one of a very few select youtube channels that can do so without changing the video URL) to remove the sponsor jokes, demonetize the video, and remove the merch link from the description.

Lol more gaslighting from LMG and specifically Linus. You’re not a victim bud, you’re the perpetrator. 

also best that the video is monetized and has a store plug hahahahab

whar a joke. I can’t believe your a BC boy. We are better than this. 

6 minutes ago, Potatoes2241 said:

Steve his merch is ALWAYS on stage, If you actually properly watched the video and the evidence presented by Gamers nexus in that and the follow-up video you would see it as a legitimate piece of criticism against a company that's grown too fast and doesn't have anything in place to guarantee proper quality of their processes.  

As I previously stated the entire video comes off as disingenious because we saw Linus his initial /unfiltered/ reaction to the video.
We also saw Linus his reaction to Billit in the WAN show, where he felt no need to apologize for incorrectly testing a prototype even though the correct card for it was sent with the actual prototype. 

The sponsor jokes were terrible and completely uncalled for in that video, it just further damaged their credibility which is already going down the drain. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍