Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, AlienALX said:

Fear. Remember, most of us actually have to worry about the bills and where our next meal is going to come from.

So I don't blame people for not calling him out. Maybe had I learned to keep my mouth shut in life I would have a lot more money, but alas I could never quite manage it.

It's like Linus fears the youtube algorithm in a sense.

6 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

It appears that Floatplane is now under 40k subscribers losing over 1,000 in the last day.

image.thumb.png.61b7405700a19bb742bd878f93ab9318.png

But think of the $500 in man-hours they saved by not bothering to test the Billet block right! 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Glorthiar said:

Overnight this went from being a fair criticism of an industry peer to an obvious assassination piece.

LMG sure fucked up plenty and I am thoroughly disappointed, by GN reaction to the reaction is just completely and utterly pathetic shit pot stirring.

Unprofessional, hypocritical, drama baiting

Far better that people know the truth about the people they like. If this was "fixed" privately, no one would know. 

4 minutes ago, harls said:

This screamed to me that Steve wants to think that there is a problem with LMG so he will not reach out to get any info that may refute his premise.  That is not to say LMG doesn't have any issues,  they clearly have some screwups on their hands. 

And was he wrong? The one substantive point that Linus made, that LMG had "already agreed" to compensate Billet for the lost prototype, was a PR statement made up of weasel words with the effect of misleading the audience it was presented to. Linus phrased that carefully, but his statement was intended to make you think that:

A. LMG had agreed to compensate Billet for the prototype before GN published their video.
Reality: LMG responded offering to compensate for the prototype AFTER Gamers Nexus published their video, but before Linus posted his statement here.

B. That Billet had already agreed to ACCEPT the compensation offer as a way to make the best of a messy situation (of LMG's creation by auctioning off something they didn't own).

Reality: Billet had not responded to the email from Linus offering compensation as of the time of his forum post yesterday.

To me, this vindicates GN's response and invalidates any criticism that can be levied towards GN not giving LMG right of reply in the first video. Linus' reply here in terms of the Billet labs situation used weasel words to twist the narrative and deceive the community that follows him. And the overwhelming majority of the video was based on OBJECTIVELY wrong information, with the commentary on what LMG thought of the different errors/mistakes/etc. excerpted DIRECTLY from different WAN shows and other LMG videos - their opinion on these situations is included from other direct media (like WAN shows) that they created responding to these points already.

Overnight this went from being a fair criticism of an industry peer to an obvious assassination piece.

LMG sure fucked up plenty and I am thoroughly disappointed, by GN reaction to the reaction is just completely and utterly pathetic shit pot stirring.

Fanbois gonna fanboi

12 minutes ago, LostInferno said:

Make these statements on the WAN show. I want LTT Labs to be successful and I want LTT to make quality reviews until Labs is a well-oiled machine. Posting mistakes on video is okay as long as they can post apologies on video as well. Why do I need to find the LTT forum to know Linus and LTT are taking these mistakes seriously?

Repeating to your audience how dedicated you are to producing quality content shouldn't be tiring, but exciting to prove the haters wrong. What do you think? 

The gesture behind the statement is important, not the form it comes in.

Member 4250

4 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

According to the new GN video, Billet reports they received no communication from LMG until hours after the first GN video went live.

I watched that.  And they may not have.  Maybe LMG were discussing a plan while this was going on.  Maybe they panicked when GN posted the video,  Maybe Billet lied.  The point is GN put out a hit piece and it is difficult to trust the accuracy when they ignored statements Linus made publicly and also did not reach out for comment

Worst thing is , Linus not only didn't say the truth about Billet yesterday, he saw that the feeling people got is that the situation is already resolved and STILL didn't say anything about that. This is the worst kind of betrayal to his fans.

I'm glad I just I left after the Linux Challenge fiasco, where to conoisseurs it was absolutely clear that Linus wanted to dig a deep grave for Linux.

If I were a fan to this day, I would be SO hugely disappointed with him right now. I'm so sorry for everyone here who is a fan.

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

4 minutes ago, m6_is_me said:

Linus seems to have a very hard time admitting he's in the wrong. 

Sadly even when he admit he's wrong, there's always a ''but'' . 
example : A real warranty vs the ''trust me bro '' warranty . 

1 minute ago, Karon said:

Now that Steve debunked Linus claim about having come to an agreement with Billet, where are all the apologists who said that that was enough? 

Steve still should have come to Linus in private before posting the video, that way they could resolve it quietly in private (by not paying back the prototype they stole).

Just now, Gncsmd said:

That was for the team not for you.  It won’t ruin the channel, they are aware of where the holes exist and will patch them up in due time.

I’m sure we will all agree that every story has two sides, maybe more.  In my opinion, GN took it personal when AN EMPLOYEE made a comment.
 Jealousy manifest itself in many ways.  Recording a 44 minute video doesn’t fix anything it just makes a show of things.  While everyone is up in arms being a keyboard warrior, the labs team is becoming better.  As with any addition to a new and challenging workflow there are growing pains.  

The real lesson is in the nuance.  Let’s all act for a second that GN is not aware of what the mission is.  Let’s also assume it’s not a direct competition to GN brand. Let that sink in.  It’s all in the nuance.  The team made mistakes but to air out someone’s dirty laundry is a bit brash.  I’m aware that this tactic is on brand for GN, as they try to be the de-facto White Knight of tech, but he went after low-level hanging fruit in an ugly manner.  If everyone dislikes humans making mistakes in tech videos that much, here are some steps you can take.

1.  Make a YouTube channel

2.  Review Tech like LTT and others.

3. Make it perfect.

See how easy that is?

Nuance.

it wasn't JUST the mistakes, those are hard to avoid. Its how LTT handled the mistakes they KNEW were happening.

Just now, Middcore said:

But think of the $500 in man-hours they saved by not bothering to test the Billet block right! 

So true, or for the fact of just paying for the block anyway that is definitely worth way more than $500.

3 minutes ago, Glorthiar said:

Bro imagine having all the information in front of your face and still having this opinion?

Just now, Nathat23 said:

It's like Linus fears the youtube algorithm in a sense.

Well I do remember someone mentioning last year was it? that Linus rules with an iron fist. IE, he stops his employees speaking about what goes on and so on. So I would imagine? no one has the balls to confront him. For the reasons I pointed out above. Because as he has learned he can ruin someone in about ten seconds.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

1 minute ago, harls said:

I watched that.  And they may not have.  Maybe LMG were discussing a plan while this was going on.  Maybe they panicked when GN posted the video,  Maybe Billet lied.  The point is GN put out a hit piece and it is difficult to trust the accuracy when they ignored statements Linus made publicly and also did not reach out for comment

Why would Billet lie? They're not LTT last time I checked

Damn, this indeed is really bad. Linus doesn't want to make this into a sniping match? Fair enough. The response I would have expected from Linus is a main channel video, acknowledging the shortcomings and the plan to make things right. But this is really disappointing. As someone else already said. A company can f* up. How it deals with it is what matters. And this wasn't it. With the size of LMG being what it is now, I do see the possibilty that Linus wasn't aware of the full picture. especially with the Billet cooler. But if that's the case some internal communication needs to be looked at very thoroughly.

Linus this is costing LMG reputation at quite a high rate. This shouldn't be dismissed, as your first answer implies you'll do. Rather you should taker this VERY seriously

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Bro imagine having all the information in front of your face and still having this opinion?

Yeah sadly the truth is not often pretty, but it is the truth.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

Just now, m6_is_me said:

Far better that people know the truth about the people they like. If this was "fixed" privately, no one would know. 

Oh yeah, the video from yesterday was mostly "fine" there were spots I disagreed with and places GN themselves could have done a lot better.

It was GN half assed responce this morning in which any pretense of "We just want the industry to get better" dissolved into "Actually just fuck Linus! hes the worst! you should totally watch Gamers Nexus' instead 😉 😉 🙂 "

37 minutes ago, YZF-RX said:

Compensated Billet for prototype - Check the updated GN post, they only said they would after they got called out 3 hours AFTER GN posted the original video

Acknowledge LMG shortcomings - Still feels like an empty promise as according to the video they stopped responding to Billet and instead doubled down on hating in the WAN show.

Promise to do better in the future - Yet another empty platitude, just wait till money gets involved again and corners will be cut.

GN just released another vid clearly pointing out when Billet was contacted. There really is nothing else to be said here. LTT is in for a very rude awakening from their core audience.

Edited by Reclus
Responded to wrong msg

This response is insufficient and doesn't actually respond to the problems identified by GN. Linus and LTT need to take a few minutes think about what they have done and said and do better. I was disappointed when i saw what GN pointed out and now I am mad at Linus and LTT for this response.

linus assassinated himself with his actions and ridiculous response. it is good that steve is shining a light on this behaviour and not standing for it. it's silly that you and many others seem to believe the correct response was for steve to just ring up his mate linus and let him know he's being a bit of a tit instead of correctly making the audience aware of linus's behaviour. not sure why you'd like them to just collude to continue to cover up their wrongdoings.

I think the key thing in all of this, is the expectation LTT have set for their content, if it was mostly fun entertainment with a few big reviews here and there, these errors would not mean as much. But since we have been hearing about the LAB and its purpose, being highly detailed and accurate tests of products, the expectations ofc change. Getting the LAB up and running obviously take a long time and isn’t easy, so maybe a solution would be to have new data from the LAB marked as "beta data", this sets the expectations that there could be errors. Its all about expectations in the end.

Honestly, even last week I would've instinctively jumped to Linus' defense simply because of how long I've been a subscriber of his. I know he's always been disliked by at least a small group of people, but I never saw him as a bad guy and never looked much into it.

This whole situation, however, has woken me up to how much of a terrible person he actually is. This situation could've been avoided had he had not been greedy and egotistical. 

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 1700, 12 GB, RX 580 8 GB  Second Rig: FX-8150, 16 GB, R9 290 4 GB 

Third Rig: FX-6100, 16 GB, GTX 780 Ti 3 GB  Twin HP Compaq Elite 8200 Towers: i7 2600 (x2), 16 GB (x2), HD 5450 1 GB (x2)

Just now, VisibleXela said:

Steve still should have come to Linus in private before posting the video, that way they could resolve it quietly in private (by not paying back the prototype they stole).

No he should not Linus publicly shat on billet labs product after not testing it correctly and did nothing to fix that error, then they SOLD it he deserves no private resolution he should get the public trouncing he deserves.