Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, SimplyUnknown said:

So true, or for the fact of just paying for the block anyway that is definitely worth way more than $500.

Remember this every time Linus brags about the millions being spent on the Labs stuff as evidence of his commitment to accuracy. You said you weren't willing to spend $500 of man-hours on doing proper testing, @LinusTech, so what is all the millions spent on equipment for? No amount of money can buy credibility, and all the facilities and equipment in the world won't matter if you don't commit to doing the work right. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

image.thumb.png.9e0c337128d6888aad6751f2d15efc3e.png

From GN's latest video

I've tried to be as fair as possible in my responses here. I don't have a personal grudge against LTT - I think the good they do for the tech community far outweighs the bad. But for Linus to treat a product unfairly, triple down on treating it unfairly, fail to send the product back when asked, sell auction it for charity, and then only do the right thing and compensate them for it after being publicly called out about it...

If this is true, at best I can say that Linus' response was very misleading.

Just now, E-Waster said:

Honestly, even last week I would've instinctively jumped to Linus' defense simply because of how long I've been a subscriber of his. I know he's always been disliked by at least a small group of people, but I never saw him as a bad guy and never looked much into it.

This whole situation, however, has woken me up to how much of a terrible person he actually is. This situation could've been avoided had he had not been greedy and egotistical. 

Unfortunately mate with great success comes great power, and very few on this planet know how to handle it.

They even do counselling here in the UK now for young footballers so they can handle the fame and money. Because left to run riot? it never ends well.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

1 minute ago, Drake22 said:

No he should not Linus publicly shat on billet labs product after not testing it correctly and did nothing to fix that error, then they SOLD it he deserves no private resolution he should get the public trouncing he deserves.

I'm being sarcastic, dawg. No shit LMG should make it right, at the bare minimum, and its pretty clear that without the public outcry they had no intention of doing so.

30 minutes ago, phje said:

And so, there it is. This WAS for drama and an attempt to hurt a competitor. Most of the criticisms Steve presents in the original video are valid, actually, probably all of them. Steve SHOULD have reached out to LMG for comment on the Billet Labs situation. They reported on it with half the story (the half that fit their narrative) Even IF LMG would have tried to spin the narrative back towards showing them in a good light. This is how it works, you let the audience decide, poor reporting.

Had GN never published the video to begin with, Billit Labs would've been left out in the cold. If anything, this shows the poor integrity of conpanies until the media/public are dragged into it, only then will a company budge.

Steve should NOT have reached out to LMG, it was LMG's job to do the right thing from the start.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

7 minutes ago, joaopt said:

maybe that's the problem, it seems with 120 employees is such a massive tool no one around him pointed all this out to him

i think luke has tried in the past on the Wan show to point it out to him but it feels like Linus doesn't listen 

2 minutes ago, Glorthiar said:

Oh yeah, the video from yesterday was mostly "fine" there were spots I disagreed with and places GN themselves could have done a lot better.

It was GN half assed responce this morning in which any pretense of "We just want the industry to get better" dissolved into "Actually just fuck Linus! hes the worst! you should totally watch Gamers Nexus' instead 😉 😉 🙂 "

You have to be trolling. This is below the lower limit of dumb.

1 minute ago, Glorthiar said:

Oh yeah, the video from yesterday was mostly "fine" there were spots I disagreed with and places GN themselves could have done a lot better.

It was GN half assed responce this morning in which any pretense of "We just want the industry to get better" dissolved into "Actually just fuck Linus! hes the worst! you should totally watch Gamers Nexus' instead 😉 😉 🙂 "

Describe in what ways? The first video was as amicable as possible, saying "we felt these had to be called out as to improve tech channels as a whole", but after Linus smeared lies and dismissals and deflections all over the place, and lying in such a blatantly dumb way, then I say go for it. It was a completely immature and unprofessional way to respond, and now they're pointing it out and Linus is sleeping in the bed that he himself made. 

19 hours ago, bizzehdee said:

contacting linus personally, and resolving it quietly. is the exact opposite of "proper journalistic practices", what an absolute narcasistic arrogant buffoon

Amen brother!
As Rossmann said. The whole GN piece is informative and (the whole ordeal is) unfortunate.

Edited for context

4 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

Steve still should have come to Linus in private before posting the video, that way they could resolve it quietly in private (by not paying back the prototype they stole).

Not gonna lie, you had me in the first half. 

51 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

Except right of reply is not a requirement in America nor in Canada, so it is merely a nicety. In this case, GN did not need to be nice and give them a chance to respond since they were using direct quotes and clips. Get off your high horse

It’s so funny that people like you are bringing up the ‘it’s not legally required’ argument. It doesn’t matter, Steve has been patting himself on the back for setting his standards of dealing with ‘companies’, which he claims LMG/LTT is a company like all the others he’s done this with. 

How about instead of telling people to ‘get off their high horse’, maybe you should take Steve at his word, and realize he’s being a hypocrite for changing his methodology when dealing with LMG/LTT specifically. He has no credibility if he changes his process when he has plenty of opportunity to contact them before this video was public.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Life is to short for drama, Yes anyone and everyone can make mistakes, we are only human.  That being said, He will make it right any way he can. Can we just leave at that as im sure everyone has better things to do with there day, life.

Its good to have mistakes or we will never learn.

GAME OVER!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

2 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

Steve still should have come to Linus in private before posting the video, that way they could resolve it quietly in private (by not paying back the prototype they stole).

Gamers Nexus just released a News update video about why they didn't reach Linus about a comment.

They basically treated it like a Secret shopper video and didn't reach for comment. Which is quite fair about it, and yeah news outlets often ask for comment but not always, they don't ask an airline for comments when reporting a plane crash for example... and this is 100% a plane crash.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

And there's always been a pretty consistent part of the audience that refuses to understand someone can be at fault and should be held accountable. The LMG audience is a huge joke at times because of this, just take any of the drama over the past, idk, decade. I've lost track of things that have happened because it's never ending.

Of course. Now look, I am not about to start calling Linus names. That really is not why I came here. As basically? that would be the sort of character assassination the guy was speaking about, which of course it isn't and never was.

But yeah, many people now are very easily brainwashed. Sad fact of life I am afraid, and I am now at the point in life where I won't bother to do much about it. "Can't beat the system" and all of that.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

So, after watching the first part of the latest GN video (the part focused on LTT since the rest is I believe irrelevant to this conversation), I'm still kind of mixed on how GN handled the situation. Steve saying "we didn't have to reach out" raises the question of "Yeah, but why didn't you?" Like it's an answer, but kind of a weird one in my opinion. Still, the fact that Linus didn't reach out to Billet until AFTER the GN video went up yesterday . . . @LinusTech I sincerely ask, why did you lie? This isn't even funny. It's just sad, and kind of hurts even me, and like I mentioned already, I don't watch LTT that often. I don't know, this just sucks all around.

8 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

No, I'm saying read the stuff you quote in full when it clearly contradicts your point lol. That's as bad as Linus not watching videos and just reading comments. How lazy can you be?

It doesnt at all. You clearly haven't read the discussion as to why i posted that. Hypocrisy at its finest. Like i said, Its a fundamental pillar of journalism. Hence why its included in the society of professional journalists ethics code. What an immature response. If you can't understand why that relevant then i can't help you.

1 minute ago, coopa said:

And was he wrong? The one substantive point that Linus made, that LMG had "already agreed" to compensate Billet for the lost prototype, was a PR statement made up of weasel words with the effect of misleading the audience it was presented to. Linus phrased that carefully, but his statement was intended to make you think that:

A. LMG had agreed to compensate Billet for the prototype before GN published their video.
Reality: LMG responded offering to compensate for the prototype AFTER Gamers Nexus published their video, but before Linus posted his statement here.

B. That Billet had already agreed to ACCEPT the compensation offer as a way to make the best of a messy situation (of LMG's creation by auctioning off something they didn't own).

Reality: Billet had not responded to the email from Linus offering compensation as of the time of his forum post yesterday.

To me, this vindicates GN's response and invalidates any criticism that can be levied towards GN not giving LMG right of reply in the first video. Linus' reply here in terms of the Billet labs situation used weasel words to twist the narrative and deceive the community that follows him.

What you are saying is possible.  It is also possible that Linus met with Tehran and they had agreed that they would compensate Billet for the prototype and would need to negotiate the price with them.    Had steve followed up instead of having a predetermined conclusion as he said in his video the narrative may be very different.  Or it may be the same.  

Just now, atxcyclist said:

It’s so funny that people like you are bringing up the ‘it’s not legally required’ argument. It doesn’t matter, Steve has been patting himself on the back for setting his standards of dealing with ‘companies’, which he claims LMG/LTT is a company like all the others he’s done this with. 

How about instead of telling people to “get off their high horse”, maybe you should take Steve at his word and realize he’s being a hypocrite for changing his methodology when dealing with LMG/LTT specifically.

Except he's not. There are plenty of times where they don't reach out, which is explained in his latest video. Maybe inform yourself before spewing nonsense?

i mean much of the original video is just about inaccuracies in LTT videos so there isnt much to contact them about since its fact-based. the only thing i thought they should have asked LTT about is the billet lab situation and I thought i was right in that hunch when linus implied that it was already resolved in his statement. but lo and behold it turns out linus was being misleading at best and they didnt try to resolve it until the situation blew up so even in that case it turns out gn was right. 

Shame on you, Linus. Stop trying to shift blame and start taking some responsibility for your own poor decisions and actions.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You know if LMG has to cut so many corners and make so many videos so quickly, just maybe youtube can't really support a company as expensive as LMG.

If you feel angry or upset after watching the GN update, you need to look in the mirror and identify whether you are having an emotional response or a logical one.

It is a fact to say that Linus completely failed to respond to many of the core components of the original video.

Linus deflection of that reality by using emotional, ad hominem arguments is beneath him. It's not acceptable. cancel your floatplane, I already did.

☮️

I7-13700k |MSI Z790 Carbon |Gigabyte RX 6800 XT |32GB DDR5 6000 Crucial |1TB M.2 Crucial |Fractal North |Deepcool AK400 |Seasonic Prime GX 850w

Youtube Sub since Febuary 2017

2 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

I'm being sarcastic, dawg. No shit LMG should make it right, at the bare minimum, and its pretty clear that without the public outcry they had no intention of doing so.

sorry I didn't see the sarcasm in that, I'm shocked linus could be such a lying POS

1 minute ago, aidenbliss789 said:

i think luke has tried in the past on the Wan show to point it out to him but it feels like Linus doesn't listen 

If Luke, who is one of Linus's oldest employees and a long-time friend, can't get through to him, then nobody can. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, E-Waster said:

Honestly, even last week I would've instinctively jumped to Linus' defense simply because of how long I've been a subscriber of his. I know he's always been disliked by at least a small group of people, but I never saw him as a bad guy and never looked much into it.

This whole situation, however, has woken me up to how much of a terrible person he actually is. This situation could've been avoided had he had not been greedy and egotistical. 

i had become more wary of his bad personal takes at least since the "blocking ads is piracy" and "trust me bro" debacles but was under the impression the data in his videos and more importantly his own word could still be trusted. turns out neither are true.

very disappointing as someone who built their first PC in 2014 with help from linus videos.