How did you guys learn to type?

lani100

Basic question how did you guys learn to type ( with 10 fingers without looking)

I learned it in school when I was 10 it was an extra course but glad I signed up for that :)

Also what kind of keyboard do you prefer? At home I have a Mechanical Corsair K70 and at work I prefer the crapy Dell ones

I can type pretty fast on a normal keyboard but on phones I'm slow as hell and I can barely type on a phone with a physical qwerty keyboard.

With a keyboard.

Ok, serious answer time. Instant messenger programs with friends. It was really painful for them (or so one or two told me) while I learned, but that's their problem. 

I learnt touch typing when I came to uni and decided to switch to the Dvorak layout.

Also I prefer 60% keyboards with MX Blues.

My WPM is really shitty though, I blame trilinguality.

Well i once got up to  all fingers typing but then i broke my pinkie in a football game, then it felt too inbalanced to use 5 fingers on one hand and then 3 on the other one i was demoted to 3 fingers per hand, ive never really got up to the caliber of my typing speed again since that accident its too bad however but everything is slightly slower then before but not too much.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Was an elective class back in 7th grade. Took a keyboard class on of all things apple computers. I think over time it just became more natural the goal for my class was something stupid like 40WPM but that is just stupid easy to hit. My fastest is just under 140 WPM now well at least with the wapsilon.com test. I'm sure with more crazy words or sentences formatted it would be quite a bit worse then 140 :P probably 80-120. In my opinion I believe once people have there home row key down at least with the QWERTY format they are pretty much good to go. 

just typing often im still not very good or efficent and i can only hit letter keys and stuff cant do numbers very well and sure as hell cant do f keys

typing in messengers and I in school I was heavily involved in literature. sometimes I had to write a few dozen pages in really short time. so I got faster and faster. I never learned the propper 10 finger style but my selftought 10 finger typing is similar to the correct one. I prefer mx blues

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

I can't......I use auto-completion when programming....

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I was in a typing class since elementary school until high school when they finally realized I didn't need to learn to type any more.

video games is how i learned to touch type however I don't really do it right as i use all 5 fingers on my left hand and 3-4 on my right depending on what I'm typing.

if I'm typing a few pages by the end i am using all 10 fingers but it takes me a page or two to get back into that

I can't use 10 fingers more like 4-5, but it's fast enough  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just typing... Although I don't really use the home row. My hands move quite a bit when typing... I probably use about 7 fingers on average. Just whatever is most convenient. I'm not really so sure that using my pinky finger is any faster than just slightly moving my hand so that I can use my index finger.

i learned by doing, which is why im doing it wrong, i use 3 fingers on the left hand and only 1-2 fingers on my right hand, so sometimes i lose track of where my right hand is because i don't have my fingers on the keyboard to feel where i am, i only use my right hand correctly because of gaming taught me how to rest my hand on the proper keys, as for the keyboard i don't know because i currently don't have a keyboard that i like.

By just typing. Starting out with the index waltz and adding more fingers as i got used to it.

I also started on a membrane. So now that im using Cherry MX reds i can type almost twice as fast :D

(Not right now though... My K95 is in that horrible state of limbo.. The 2 day drying period where i won't know if it works or not until i can plug it in again... Shrodingers K95 i guess)
Now im using all 10 fingers all the time. But if i switch to a different keyboard where the layout is even slightly different my typing speed is halved..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I was plopped in front of a computer at one, typing came with ease after doing it for so long.

Year 9 and 10 w/laptop

Pref Cherry browns

hellooooooooo

I mostly just taught myself how to type after consulting an ancient typing guide. Just remembered where the fingers are supposed to go; now my typing is really just muscle-memory, last time I tested myself I got around 120wpm.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9 SSD: ADATA SP900 128GB HDD: 2 x WD 1TB Caviar Blue [RAID0] Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE IV FORMULA GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 590 3GB (1.5GB mirrored, silly marketing)

fff jjj fff jjj fff jjj fff jjj

asdf jkl; asdf jkl;

Middle school keyboarding class... but shout outs to Mavis Beacon as well.

My parents tried to taught me 10 finger style with old DOS software. I also practised with typewriters. Pretty new ones since that was around -98. But I've learned to type fast with messengers and Runescape. And later with IRC. English is pretty fast, Finnish is even faster with fewer typos. I like this keyboard and old IBM styled ones. Its pure pain to type with laptops.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I started using computers very early. Now I can type with 10 fingers with out thinking about it. I The only trouble I have is switching between german and usa layout.

This is probably just like learning a language. Just try to talk (type) and after a year you can do it.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Like many others, I self taught myself 10 finger typing, by using instant messaging.

Also I am a heretic, I actually prefer my Rouberkeys from my Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard over Mechanical Keyswitches.

I started using computers very early. Now I can type with 10 fingers with out thinking about it. I The only trouble I have is switching between german and usa layout.

This is probably just like learning a language. Just try to talk (type) and after a year you can do it.

there is not such a big difference. why would you need a year for loosing üäöß and switch y and z`? I need about 2 hours to change üöäß with Č, Ć, Š, Ž and Đ when I change from german to croatian.

it's time for some jolly cooperation!