How did you guys learn to type?

lani100

Like many others, I self taught myself 10 finger typing, by using instant messaging.

Also I am a heretic, I actually prefer my Rouberkeys from my Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard over Mechanical Keyswitches.

burrrn the witch! aah devil!

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

Practice really, sometimes I can type really well without looking and sometimes I can't.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I'm still learning to type... Ever since the end of secondary school I've been using four or five fingers to type. Now I am starting to learn to touch type and it's quite difficult. I have trouble hitting the keys between my hands - letters like Y and V - but I'm working on it.

I'm forcing myself to touch type because I know I will be faster in the end. I think i might buy some stealth keycaps for my cm storm quickfire tk... That will help me to stop looking at the keyboard!

I can easily touch type on my HTC one keyboard though!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

still learning.. :rolleyes: leading with two fingers on each hand currently.  (girls love me :blink:*dramatic music* )

:ph34r: ninja trains extensively nonstop

Details separate people.

I learned to type fast so during some heated multiplayer gaming I can chat to the server :P

Like throwing C4 at somebody in battlefield 4  yesterday only to type in chat "Oi mr enemy "insert name here" there is c4 behind you" then blowing it up when he stands up

You have to type fast for that :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have horrid handwriting. As such i used computers a lot in school classes.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I got pretty good at it, but only because I go on facebook a lot and therefore type a lot

I average 85 WPM while my other friend who has been typing a lot longer than me averages 100 WPM, I'm trying to push towards that speed, but it is hard without me practicing (using actual touch typing testers) and frankly I don't really have the motivation to go any faster, but I shitty accuracy I make a lot of mistakes. But just practice I started out by typing while looking at the keyboard I averaged (80 WPM doing that) once I got good at it, I slowly started to force myself to look at the screen while I typed, of course if it was too hard I would look at the keyboard but I mostly started to look at the screen. Soon I became decent (averaging around 60 WPM). I went on a holiday to Sri Lanka with my Mum, where most of the time I was home alone for 12 hours at a time. I brought my laptop, and I would listen to music and type the lyrics of the song. By the end of the holiday coming home I averaged around (100WPM) when I got home started typing on normal keyboard (75WPM AVG) then got a mechanical (85WPM finally) For some reason I type really fast on laptops, something about the super low keys and soft touch to them makes it easier for me to type. Otherwise with school holidays coming up I might start practicing as I don't really get out of my house as most of my friends are PC gamers and we just game together, I will have time to practice :) Hope this helps. Sorry for the long read. :D

TL:DR: I practiced a lot.

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

In middle school I had a class that taught me the basics, but I honed my skills on AIM (AOL Instant Messenger).

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

MMO's!!!  u have to type so fast while u are fighting. " i used to do party of 10 vs 40 enemies so imagine how fast i had to write, and i was the guild leader"

Spent a rainy weekend on this not that long ago

http://www.goodtyping.com/

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Typing in between deaths on quake3 arena back in the day. Respawn timers forced me to learn to type quick.

there is not such a big difference. why would you need a year for loosing üäöß and switch y and z`? I need about 2 hours to change üöäß with Č, Ć, Š, Ž and Đ when I change from german to croatian.

I didn't mean it like that. Lets say writing with a pen is like speaking German and 10 finger typing is like speaking english English. If you are in the US, you have to talk english and this will let you learn the language much faster. -> so if you just force yourself to use all 10 fingers you should be able to do that pretty fast. 

I use a computer with "us" and "german" layout everyday, so I alwa(z)ys mix them up. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I actually did a typing course before i started to learn about PCs as i thought it would come in handy when typing. It took three months and i am certified typist....don't judge me  :(   ---------->  :angry: is for those who judge me.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I suck at using home row so I just stick to my "whatever finger is closer" method.  :lol:

Woo!! 400 posts! 100 ore and I can finally change my member title!

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

after years of having to type messages while playing COD zombies and other games in the middle of a round cause I didn't have a mic.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Best way to practice is to talk trash to noobs.  When you type your sentence out over rage, you tend to misspell words.  So you simultaneously learn to be patient while typing and can go back to correct your spelling before you hit enter.  You must not misspell any words or you will be considered an imbecile.  Don't worry if they have typed a few sentences before you respond. Making them wait for your response is part of your defense as well.  Good Luck!

Keyboard + a lot of use...

My blank keyboard has helped though, lol.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I learned in high school in 1984.  The class was titled "Keyboarding 101".  We learned on IBM Selectric typewriters... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Selectric_typewriter

But I really didn't get up to speed on a keyboard without looking down until our family got it's first computer.  Also,  i noticed I got alot faster after my first job working as a programmer.

My favorite keyboard is my recent purchase... Max Blackbird with cherry brown switches.

I can type?  Who'd a thunk it?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"