Experimental Youtube "feature" detects and blocks some users of ad blocking browser extensions on Youtube

grg994
5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

STEALING

Using adblock is NOT stealing, and if you seriously think it is, well, I‘m afraid there‘s nothing I can do to change that twisted conception.

that those 42%

again, where do you get this number from? From the same giganto corporation that you‘re defending so hard here that we should make them more money by not only selling our data but also wasting time looking at braindead ads?

Also, Google PAYS for those affiliated...which is 30 - 50% of their revenue.

yeah again, boohoo poor Google. If no ad is played, no affiliates are paid.

People that don‘t watch ads contribute nothing? Sure. They only provide

- Watch time statistics

- like/dislike

- comments

- sub counts

- their whole bloody watch history

all to a company that makes money almost only through selling user data. Figure out how to make money with that data gold mine.

Or give me a sensible premium subscription that also removes any and all tracking/data collection.

I do play by their rules, which include using every technical aid I have at my disposal to skip ads.

Mandatory bundling of a subscription for a video platform that removes ads (and enables background play ffs) with a music service that nobody asked for is a very stupid rule, especially in light of the near-monopoly that YT has.

12 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Using adblock is NOT stealing, and if you seriously think it is, well, I‘m afraid there‘s nothing I can do to change that twisted conception.

It's funny that you say twisted conception, when you are incapable of thought/reading.

Again, you are using the same stupid logic that people use when stealing from big box stores.  The whole concept that you are too self-centered or too inept to realize to recognize that your actions on a whole damages others experiences.

It's also the same stupid concept of people who say that you aren't "stealing" cable, because after all the signal was already being delivered to your door.  The only thing that changes is that there is a filter put on your house, so if you bypass the filter you get free TV and no one gets harmed.

Again, if people didn't use adblockers on YouTube, I'm willing to bet that there would be less of a push for the longer ads, more frequent ads.

19 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

all to a company that makes money almost only through selling user data. Figure out how to make money with that data gold mine.

Or give me a sensible premium subscription that also removes any and all tracking/data collection.

Until recently, YouTube was still losing money.  That's beside the point as well, it doesn't matter if you think they make "too much money".  Stop crying about it, and just stop using their service.  You are not entitled to getting things free you are just being a self serving self centered person.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Just now, wanderingfool2 said:

Again, if people didn't use adblockers on YouTube, I'm willing to bet that there would be less of a push for the longer ads, more frequent ads.

Yeah. And I'm willing to bet it would've changed nothing. Also, for the third time: Where do you pull those 42% percent from?

1 minute ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Until recently, YouTube was still losing money.  That's beside the point as well, it doesn't matter if you think they make "too much money".  Stop crying about it, and just stop using their service.  You are not entitled to getting things free you are just being a self serving self centered person.

If you would've even read one of my many replies here properly, you'd know that I am a paying customer of Youtube. The only one crying here is you, because people are using services from your favorite big corpo by only paying with their data and not their time in addition.

Also, you are calling me self-centered and incapable of thinking and reading, yet don't even realize that I am a paying customer. Nice play.

6 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

and just stop using their service

how about no, as they have a near-monopoly over the absurd amount of content over all kinds of fields that is put on there?

All that said: I don't give a shit if YT by itself is losing money, it's tightly integrated into the chaotic and wide spectrum of Google SW products and platforms which together make for a data gold mine. So figure out a way to be profitable overall without drowning the user in braindead ads and ruining the watching experience.

The fault is not on people using ad blockers, and it's not because of ad blockers, ad blockers are just a solution to the problem.  The problem is the ad companies selling scam ads, ads installing malware, and youtube allowing such ads, while also doing things like putting 10 minute ads in a 5 minute video.

And no, i'm not going to pay $168 to remove youtube ads, every user is already paying youtube through analytics which google will still collect even if you pay $14 a month to remove ads.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Mandatory bundling of a subscription for a video platform that removes ads (and enables background play ffs)

yt already has background play, either you have to be in the USA (for some reason lol) or you just use like some browser that can do it. 

20231014_015720.thumb.png.7d1b035a3d569c0843a9c272bc0409e2.png

its called "picture in picture", invented sometimes in the early 90s... or probably even earlier. 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

The fault is not on people using ad blockers, and it's not because of ad blockers, ad blockers are just a solution to the problem.  The problem is the ad companies selling scam ads, ads installing malware, and youtube allowing such ads, while also doing things like putting 10 minute ads in a 5 minute video.

And no, i'm not going to pay $168 to remove youtube ads, every user is already paying youtube through analytics which google will still collect even if you pay $14 a month to remove ads.

im still baffled how these kind of malicious ads are allowed,  it's not like google is a small family business,  no its literally "the biggest evil company™" known to mankind.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yt already has background play, either you have to be in the USA (for some reason lol) or you just use like some browser that can do it. 

Right, PiP will do the trick for minimizing the app (for me it's usable since PiP became a native feature for iOS). However, what I mean with "background play" is having only the sound from the video and no picture whatsoever. That still is a premium feature which is enabled if you simply minimize the app. On non-premium accounts, it simply stops playing. YT Vanced or whatever it was called worked around that on Android until it was axed.

Does this mechanism work without premium in the US-and-A? See no reason why the US should be different in that regard, but oh well.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Right, PiP will do the trick for minimizing the app (for me it's usable since PiP became a native feature for iOS). However, what I mean with "background play" is having only the sound from the video and no picture whatsoever. That still is a premium feature which is enabled if you simply minimize the app. On non-premium accounts, it simply stops playing. YT Vanced or whatever it was called worked around that on Android until it was axed.

Does this mechanism work without premium in the US-and-A? See no reason why the US should be different in that regard, but oh well.

i was saying afaik pip is only a free feature in usa, rest of the world needs to use workarounds or buy premium. 

and yeah background playback without video isnt gonna happen because that would eat into their "music" service (even tho i don't even know if that can be played in the background lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I actually have an adblock, in part, to save on data because I have one of those barbaric ISPs that still have a data cap in this day and age. I do pay for Youtube Premium though because it is the only thing I watch. Recently canceled Hulu, Netflix, etc..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Uninstall Adblock

Save 4 months worth of YouTube Premium

Buy a raspberry pi

Setup pihole

????

Profit

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Uninstall Adblock

Save 4 months worth of YouTube Premium

Buy a raspberry pi

Setup pihole

????

Profit

Last I heard Pi Hole doesnt work on Youtube. Something about the same servers that host videos also host ads or something to that degree.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Welp, looks like even Vivaldi's built-in adblocking is blocked too, now... And now ublock works again?

I suppose it will be a game of cat and mouse between the adblockers and Youtube now.

edit : nvm ublock doesn't work anymore either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Welp, looks like even Vivaldi's built-in adblocking is blocked too, now... And now ublock works again?

I suppose it will be a game of cat and mouse between the adblockers and Youtube now.

Ublock origin works, no issues yet.

4 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

I got the infamous pop-up today with UBlock origin. Farewell Youtube...

4 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

I have Ublock. It doesnt work. Your account probably hasnt been targeted yet. They didnt roll it out to everyone yet. I did notice that I didnt get a message in private browsing mode. but I also didnt log in. I think this is account based.

2 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I got the infamous pop-up today with UBlock origin. Farewell Youtube...

I might not be having the issue since I am using Firefox with no-script also installed.

Also I usually don't sign in.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I have Ublock. It doesnt work. Your account probably hasnt been targeted yet. They didnt roll it out to everyone yet. I did notice that I didnt get a message in private browsing mode. but I also didnt log in. I think this is account based.

you need to reset your ublock origin cache 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

edit : nvm ublock doesn't work anymore either.

nah, it works, never stopped working either...

i have no doubts yt is really doing this, but just going from -- the extremely limited-- information in this thread I'm led to believe we're missing *huge* parts of the story what's really going on. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

It happens on two machines. Pretty sure it’s not a cache issue. Only way I got it to work is private browsing, so I’m guessing it’s an account thing, where they add your account to a list to check. They did say they are slowly rolling this out. 

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

I did this earlier today.

So far so good, seems to be working. Watching a few videos, including the WAN show, no ads or anti-adblocking screen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

39 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I did this earlier today.

So far so good, seems to be working. Watching a few videos, including the WAN show, no ads or anti-adblocking screen.

I did nothing and had no trouble today as well - so... it might not have been the cache.

46 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I did nothing and had no trouble today as well - so... it might not have been the cache.

uBlock is full of opt-in filter. The variance between users may depend on which lists they have enabled.

My brother now has it showing on his laptop. While it doesn't on either of our desktops. Needless to say, I will be finding a way to block the adblock blocker.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

22 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My brother now has it showing on his laptop. While it doesn't on either of our desktops. Needless to say, I will be finding a way to block the adblock blocker.

image.png.777318293eab63e0bdd0e7f4ab993462.png

Unlimited screens
Want separate accounts for recommendations?

image.png.916aa59f0d291b76bc16c02c65b1bac0.png

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Depending on the ad-blocker you use, you may need to update its filters.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus