Intel Rebranding "Core i" Brand to "Core Ultra"

E6Ax5Mt5I2mTUqVx.jpg.2cb4ae57286be327e738e9821e5d671a.jpg

Summary

Intel is planning a major rebranding with their Core i-series processors by renaming them Core Ultra (insert 3/5/7/9 here) series instead. An example would be the Core Ultra 5 1003H. This rebranding is expected to start with the launch of mobile Meteor Lake processors. 

Quotes

Intel is planning a major change in its client processor brand extensions with its next-generation mobile processors codenamed "Meteor Lake." The company is working to introduce the new Core Ultra brand extensions, where "Ultra" replaces the "i" in extensions such as i3, i5, i7, and i9 in some processor models

My thoughts

This is pretty crazy to hear that Intel is doing a rebranding of their Core i brand to Core Ultra. Do they really want to confuse consumers more? Intel did post a terrible Q1 2023 earning with profits down so much its a first for Intel in history. I guess a rebranding is part of trying to change their image into a new company.

The Core i7-1165G7 was just too much. 

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/308035/intel-to-introduce-core-ultra-brand-extension-with-meteor-lake-igpu-packs-128-eu?amp

https://boringtextreviews.com/2023/04/30/intel-to-drop-the-i-moniker-in-upcoming-cpu-rebrand/

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

*5 years from now*

Presenting Core i9 Ultra 17900K

Requiring the power of a small planet to cool it

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

GG Intel... 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Great, way to go Intel. Now you're gonna confuse non Techies and especially Techies even more with your utterly Stupid naming schemes. I really liked the "Core i" branding, imo it was legendary. Stop fixing things which actually work and you're better off investing that time into fixing things which are actually broken like your High End Chips which are a real Pain to cool.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

19 minutes ago, filpo said:

*5 years from now*

Presenting Core i9 Ultra 17900K

Requiring the power of a small planet to cool it

The power of the Sun for your daily computing needs!!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

20 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Intel is planning a major rebranding with their Core i-series processors by renaming them Core Ultra (insert 3/5/7/9 here) series instead. An example would be the Core Ultra 5 1003H. This rebranding is expected to start with the launch of mobile Meteor Lake processors. 

There is literally nothing but a screenshot...

Ultra could be for "U" processors. Ultra could be for more powerful iGPU configurations. I think we get some more information before this drops, but generally speaking, their current naming scheme was utter garbage at best. So maybe they will find a better and easier way.

Can we all in the tech community agree now to abbreviate Ultra to U? Intel u5 1003H. Has a familiar ring to it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

27 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

The Core i7-1165G7 was just too much. 

love it 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So Core i9 is going Plus Ultra? *intense BGM starts playing*

image.thumb.png.55d68b644b0ac96327df3cfd2d54f629.png

Spoiler

image.gif.483556e2f25a287e9ef2b23814d5c534.gif

It's a pretty terrible joke, but still; I can't get over how they switched their CoA to say "Plus Ultra" from "Ne Plus Ultra" when the new world was discovered

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

If the worst thing you can do is moan about a name, they're not doing badly. The "Core i" naming has been around for 15 years now, and you can add a couple more years on that if you drop the i.

The financials were generally expected. They're spending a lot for the future in a time when everyone is struggling.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Once you get to the 13th generation of a naming scheme, rebranding makes sense. Let's drop back down to Core Ultra 5 1xxx and step up from there.

I for one can't wait for the Core Ultra 5 2600K, that thing is gonna be legendary!

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

inb4 "Intel 9 Ultra Pro Max" :old-grin:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Does this mean we have to call the base model CPU "Ultra"?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Octane from Apex Legends approves this. Non terrae plus ultra.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

"I really am getting hotter. Back in my hay day, a single cooler would have been enough to cool me down, but today it took more than 3 mighty radiators" - All Core

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This has now been confirmed by an Intel director. GG. They definitely had to do something about these 5-digit part names as well so can't blame them too much. We'll soon probably have "Core {number}" vs "Ryzen {number}"

6 minutes ago, DuckDodgers said:

Pointless move. The "i" moniker has been Intel's original brand sign well before Apple appropriated it.

...? Intel introduced the Core i series in 2006. Apple released the iMac in 1998. The first iPod was 2001.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Intel i386DX 1985 🙂

Your memory is better than mine! Looks like that is when the "i" was integrated with the CPU number. I can't find existence of this for the 286.

KL_Intel_i386DX.jpg.63ca27b6fe49f15437a6d9c0df0f1510.jpg

From https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KL_Intel_i386DX.jpg

35 minutes ago, Spotty said:

...? Intel introduced the Core i series in 2006. Apple released the iMac in 1998. The first iPod was 2001.

I was surprised to learn a few years ago that Apple licenced the name iOS from Cisco, who have their IOS before.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Not a fan of this, if they just end up replacing the i with Ultra.

"Ultra" is way more clunky to say than "i", so I think it will just make things harder to say. But it's not like it matters much anyway.

"Intel Ultra 5" 

1 hour ago, CyberneticTitan said:

They definitely had to do something about these 5-digit part names

Do they really? I don't get why people struggle so much with 5 digits.

I said gamers couldn't keep track of more than 4 numbers as a joke once and people didn't even realize I was joking and started saying things along the lines of "yeah they need to fix that, it's so hard".

I don't really get how someone can be confused by this:

Just view them as separate sections and it makes perfect sense. First 7, then 8, then 9, then 10, 11, 12 and 13. 

I saw someone in the comments mention that it might be like this:

Intel Core i3 = Intel Core Max

Intel Core i5 = Intel Core Ultra

Intel Core i7 = Intel Core Extreme

Intel Core i9 = Intel Core Extreme+

Not sure if I like that either. It feels like they are just copying Apple's naming scheme.

I do think that replacing the i3, i5 and i7 with different words might be a good idea though. Max, Ultra and Extreme might not be the best words but differentiating the tiers of products with descriptive words might be a good idea. I like how Intel categorizes their Xeon processors by bronze, silver, gold and platinum. I think that would be pretty good for consumer stuff too.

I think rebranding their processors like this would have been better:

Intel Core i3 => Intel Bronze

Intel Core i5 => Intel Silver

Intel Core i7 => Intel Gold

Intel Core i9 => Intel Platinum