TikTok fined £12.7m for misusing children's data

number13

Summary

Government watchdogs in the UK have fined TikTok just under £13m for what they feel is the misuse of children's data.  It's half of what was threatened by the watchdog previously, and TikTok are combating it, but it seems to centre largely around their allowing children under 13 to register without parental consent.

Quotes

Information commissioner John Edwards said: "There are laws in place to make sure our children are as safe in the digital world as they are in the physical world. TikTok did not abide by those laws.

"As a consequence, an estimated one million under 13s were inappropriately granted access to the platform, with TikTok collecting and using their personal data. That means that their data may have been used to track them and profile them, potentially delivering harmful, inappropriate content at their very next scroll.

"TikTok should have known better. TikTok should have done better. Our £12.7m fine reflects the serious impact their failures may have had."

My thoughts

Obviously this is a big financial punch to the ubiquitous platform, and it'll be interesting to see how they contest it (and the results of such). I think everyone knows that various websites which shouldn't allow underage users to sign up don't do nearly enough to prevent it (I for instance had to fight with change.org over them allowing my daughter - aged 12 at the time - to set up an account and pay to one of their fundraisers, despite them claiming that users should be 16+ - interestingly, their sign-up page doesn't ask your age...). It's a decision that could have ramifications for the wider industry, as (like I said about my personal experience with change.org) not enough is done for age verification across many, many sites. 

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65175902 

11 minutes ago, number13 said:

Obviously this is a big financial punch

image.png.9f309eabfa580a273b2eedf2c9bce29c.png

yeah, yeah uh huh.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Governments just seem to be getting weaker and weaker as time goes on,  I mean they don't have to be dictatorships in order to pull these companies into line, but at the moment they are literally doing nothing.   I guess they feel it is more dangerous if a toilet sign offends a persons chosen identity than it is for a data company owned by a foreign government to spy on our children.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Governments just seem to be getting weaker and weaker as time goes on,  I mean they don't have to be dictatorships in order to pull these companies into line, but at the moment they are literally doing nothing.   I guess they feel it is more dangerous if a toilet sign offends a persons chosen identity than it is for a data company owned by a foreign government to spy on our children.

To be honest, I don't even care where the company in question originates - the insidious ways tech is being used to track folk in every conceivable manner is something that, as you say, needs to be pulled in line. Meta being an obvious and clear example of such, for instance. 

But I guess it's like everything else; we can't have nice things for long until someone finds a way to abuse them for power/money/both.

literally a slap on the wrist to a company of that size.

I deleted tiktok over a year ago now and find my life is better off without it.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just giving the USA another reason to ban them. Because I can guarantee this incident will be cited. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

So they got off basically scott free and had to pay administrative fees.

What exactly do the UK government want TikTok to do? I don't really see any easy way to make sure children under the age of 13 can't access the app. 

Oh wait, it's the UK government. They want websites to require a government issued ID to sign up

If China fined a US firm for not tying all online accounts to a Chinese government issued ID then I am sure people would be mad. But now it's the UK government requesting the same thing from a Chinese company so therefore everything is fine...

12.7 million quid to datafarm the pre-teen demographic of a super popular app seems absurdly cheap. Whatever happened to percentage of yearly revenue as a fine?

12 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Whatever happened to percentage of yearly revenue as a fine?

Brexit I’m guessing as I think those are EU rules. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Brexit I’m guessing as I think those are EU rules. 

ahhh give me the gun, I'll do it myself!

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

If China fined a US firm for not tying all online accounts to a Chinese government issued ID then I am sure people would be mad.

But then again, China simply won't allow any foreign company they don't have a direct control in to operate inside their country.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

But now it's the UK government requesting the same thing from a Chinese company so therefore everything is fine...

Never seen any laws in the western hemisphere forcing Chinese companies to have a "government agent"/"party member" within the company structure making sure they comply to governments requests

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

28 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

But then again, China simply won't allow any foreign company they don't have a direct control in to operate inside their country.

Yeah, China would probably just outright bans the apps instead. That's not something we'd see other countries do. Oh wait...

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Never seen any laws in the western hemisphere forcing Chinese companies to have a "government agent"/"party member" within the company structure making sure they comply to governments requests

The US for example is a bit less obvious with it. They don't install board members inside the companies. They force the companies to comply with their demands through other means

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, China would probably just outright bans the apps instead. That's not something we'd see other countries do. Oh wait...

attempts were made vs. Actually doing it

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The US for example is a bit less obvious with it. They don't install board members inside the companies. They force the companies to comply with their demands through other means

Of course they do, doesn't make China's action less evil or that they should be left doing their own thing Scott's free

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Haha, what? That's nothing. They won't even notice a difference 

7 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

image.png.9f309eabfa580a273b2eedf2c9bce29c.png

yeah, yeah uh huh.

I'm glad someone did it so that I didn't have to 😂 

7 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

literally a slap on the wrist to a company of that size.

I deleted tiktok over a year ago now and find my life is better off without it.

Not even a slap really. There was an interesting stat that said if you watch Tiktok videos for half an hour a day, by the end of the year you've spent 2 weeks of your life. On top of that, most people have an incredibly hard time recalling the last 5 TikTok's they watched. So, what are you really taking in? Answer: fuck all. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I feel like a lot of people are just jumping on the "TikTok bad" train and going "fine them more!" without actually looking into this story.

Like I asked earlier, what do people want them to do exactly? Maybe we should dial down the "TikTok bad!" comments and actually discuss the implications of the way governments decide to punish TikTok? What they are doing against TikTok will probably happen against other websites as well. So even if you dislike TikTok and want it banned we shouldn't just approve of anything that harms TikTok without any second thought put into it.

If we start fining all websites that can't validate if a user is above 13 years old then it will impact far more than just TikTok. This forum for example. Should we start holding Linus responsible if someone who is 12 years old lies about their age and sign up to this forum? 

That was my point before the thread started to derail into "China is worse so let's ignore what other countries are doing".

I don't like China overall either. I think it's a shitty country and I am glad I don't live there. But I don't think implementing things they do in China (online IDs used for tracking people, banning certain social media apps, weakening encryption etc) is the right way to "stick it" to Chinese companies. I actually find it quite scary that as soon as governments started framings things like "we do it to harm China" everyone seemed to automatically be fine with policies they revolted against back when they were framed as "we do it to protect children".

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

This is democracy in motion.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Should we start holding Lis responsible if someone who is 12 years old lies about their age and sign up to this forum? 

yes.

37 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

yes.

I thought you were for Internet freedom and privacy.

What is being suggested and pushed regarding this issue is that everyone has to identify themselves using government issued IDs in order to access Internet services. It would be a massive blow to privacy.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I thought you were for Internet freedom and privacy.

i am.

Still there is no negating the adverse effect the internet is having on developing minds. Sometimes the best medicine is the bitter one.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What is being suggested and pushed regarding this issue is that everyone has to identify themselves using government issued IDs in order to access Internet services. It would be a massive blow to privacy.

it's not the only way, and the industry has come with other solution to comply to this kind of laws

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

This is democracy in motion.

I am sure it is not that simple, but I concede that when you have politicians pandering to the people for votes, then the current social narrative will trump rational policy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

Well, not that shocked.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.