Why did people stop liking optical drives in their desktops?

Popo576

Like I get laptops to like be thinner and lighter but why desktops? I use my optical fairly regularly for things like movies and music

I haven't used an optical drive more than twice in the last 6 years or so. Everything I have is on a SSD, or thumb drive. I mean, I have thumb drives that can hold my entire CD music collection, and I very rarely watch anything other than YouTube. The last time I used an optical drive, it was to install Windows 10, and... I bought a cheap USB BR player for it.

I don't want to switch back to optical, either. They were a nightmare to use, and I'm glad I'm done with them. @__@;

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

7 minutes ago, Popo576 said:

Like I get laptops to like be thinner and lighter but why desktops? I use my optical fairly regularly for things like movies and music

Most people don't use them anymore.I haven't bought a game with a disc since bf3 and use streaming apps for movies.Some people use a usb drive for their media use.

7 minutes ago, Popo576 said:

I use my optical fairly regularly for things like movies and music

You are also probably one of the only people left doing that. It takes up space in the front of the case that could be used for more fans and it's added cost for a feature that realistically 98% of people would never want. Movies and music have largely been moved to streaming with services like Netflix and Spotify, and general data transfer has been taken over by the prevalence of cheap USB drives. There are still people who have a use case for it, but it's just no where close to as common a use case as it was 5+ years ago. 

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I haven't used an optical drive more than twice in the last 6 years or so. Everything I have is on a SSD, or thumb drive. I mean, I have thumb drives that can hold my entire CD music collection, and I very rarely watch anything other than YouTube. The last time I used an optical drive, it was to install Windows 10, and... I bought a cheap USB BR player for it.

I don't want to switch back to optical, either. They were a nightmare to use, and I'm glad I'm done with them. @__@;

I thought id need one but havent yet,When i built my pc black friday i bought a cheap usb drive just in case.Its march and i have yet to even open that drive lol

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

it's just no where close to as common a use case as it was 5+ years ago. 

Yup.

I'm one of the outliers as well, I still buy movies on DVD/BluRay and I still buy CDs, so my optical drive sees a fair amount of use each year, but aside from weirdos such as myself, nobody uses ODDs anymore.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

SFF desktops become more popular these days, they also care about size and weight. I have 4 HDDs in my ATX system cuz it doubles as a family storage dump and the whole thing is easily 25kg... Certainly too heavy to take on an aircraft without getting charged extra.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

People just don't use em anymore. Plus with glass front cases getting more popular, nowhere for it to go.

Personally, I don't use it much, maybe once a month but I still want one. My HP z840 workstation actually has a slot for a laptop optical drive in the front panel, so I just use that, the other two 5.25 bays are reserved for the RAID array disks I have mounted there.

Simple answer was high speed net connection. the moment that tap was open streaming for movies and downloading of games became the next big deal.

Also it gained tremendous support from the industry as now you can subscribe which means they get money forever but you the client can on the surface get instant access and watch play anytime anywhere ... the only real downside is that you no longer own anything. 

I can download/stream things now. 
If I need to install an OS, it's going on a flash drive. 

A 256GB flash drive is like... $20ish now. At that price, what's the point of a bluray? Serious question. If a blu ray drive is like $70 and a 50GB BD-R disc is $1.50... $80 gets me 1TB of flash drives and 0.3TB of BD-R. It's at around $100 that BD-R pulls ahead in capacity. And then I still have fragile discs that read slow. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

I hate the concept of streaming. I like to have EVERYTHING physical or dumped on hdds. also M-Disks are SUPER reliable, and resistant to data rot and harsh conditions. of course you can put your entire library on a USB drive, but I work in IT and there are several occasions I had to put things on optical because they wanted it. DVDs are dirt cheap, and you can use them as a frisbee, bury them, use sandpaper on them and a resurface can make it still usable, now if you use a hard drive as a frisbee, your gonna get a head crash

High speed Internet = Easy access to 1080p and higher content

Low $/TB HDDs = Cheap cloud storage

A decade ago, when I was in still living in Singapore, there was a VCD/DVD rental store in the condo area. For a teenager that was a great place to get cheap entertainment since it was only SGD2 for 1 VCD/week. I still had a need for optical drive back then because I would rip the files and view it on my devices. However once the shop owner retired I had no reason to continue owning an optical drive. Mind you I still had those 5.25" bay 1st gen BR drives just in case. My mother owned a portable one for a similar reason. My mother was working as a museum guide. For once or twice a year, she might have a need to watch legacy content for research and would use the drive.

The last time I used a DVD to install an OS was probably Windows 7. Since then I think I have used a USB drive to install subsequent versions. I have not bought a CD in recent memory only given one because they were music artists or DJs. 

Once fibre internet became more ubiquitous and when you can have unlimited data carrier plans, you worry less about carrying physical storage mediums with you. The only reason I carry a USB drive around is so that I can print using the university's facility. 

35 minutes ago, Popo576 said:

I hate the concept of streaming. I like to have EVERYTHING physical or dumped on hdds. also M-Disks are SUPER reliable, and resistant to data rot and harsh conditions. of course you can put your entire library on a USB drive, but I work in IT and there are several occasions I had to put things on optical because they wanted it. DVDs are dirt cheap, and you can use them as a frisbee, bury them, use sandpaper on them and a resurface can make it still usable, now if you use a hard drive as a frisbee, your gonna get a head crash

I can understand your point of hate against streaming because you are only given an opportunity to access the content. You have the right to hold such an opinion. However clients requiring businesses to offer optical disks is a separate issue to the needs/wants of a consumer. Since not every business does not require the use of optical media in their daily operation. For example if you were working in the government sector in the countryside of Japan, it was not too long ago that you would be submitting data to the bank via floppy disks1.

Project TinyMiniMicro (ServeTheHome)

Image Source: ServeTheHome

As a person who lives in two locations that are separated by a 7 hr flight. I don't think it is realistic to carry all my data in HDDs with me all the time. Also living in a natural disaster prone area like Japan, I wouldn't trust myself with having all of my data in physical media in one location. I would rather have multiple offsite backups but that would defeat your idea of having EVERYTHING under one's own possession. Since that would require some form of streaming data from a separate location.

Source:

1: https://japantoday.com/category/national/man-who-mistakenly-received-entire-town’s-covid-19-relief-money-vanishes

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

Once upon a time disks were huge.  Now you can get a thumb drive for $3 that is four times the size and ten times the speed.   Once upon a time d they were huge and fast.  Now they’re small and glacially slow.  The use didn’t change but the media did.  As it does.  I’ve been through 4 or five.  I started on cassette tapes and moved to 5.25” floppies.  All of them were awesome when they arrived and totally outclassed by the time they were replaced.  These days a new media would have to have enough space on it to hold the largest single piece of software.  So around 100gb maybe, and it would need a transfer rate of at least near 5gb/s (closer to double that is better) to be viable.  Produce an optical disk like that, and people might buy it.  It wasn’t the opticalness or the diskness that was a problem.  They just got too small and slow.  One has to look at speed and $perGb.  Hard drives these days are about $45/tb and comfortably under that 5gb/s level.  Which is about half the cost and multiple times the speed of optical disks.  And they’re dying.  Optical disks just lost the race.  Like many other media types before them. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I got a stack of 6 dead cd / dvd writer from early 2000 till 2010, the last time i used those thing.

The drive broke too fast, like 1-2 years, i hate it.

Plus cd / dvd R dont last long if you play them often enough, totally bad storage medium.

I still collect some bluray movies tho just for novelty.

Thank god for USB thumbdrive and SDcards (also youtube, spotify and netflix).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

It's been a long time since I've used my computer's optical drive but I bought ICY BOX IB-550StU3S for my old DVD-RW SATA because I could use it one day.

LD0001101361_2.jpg

But for movies, I buy DVD / Blu-ray TV series and few Blu-ray movies (favorites). I watch them on my Panasonic TV & HDD Blu-ray in my living room.

Other movies, I recorded them on my Panasonic HDD Blu-ray (support up to 8 HDD 2TB USB. About 500 movies per HDD)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

6 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nobody uses them

Hello - I'm nobody and I use them.
Nice to meet ya.

I have and use them because some stuff I've got is on disc and it's also a medium I use for creating OS install discs for my older stuff which also uses optical drives.
I mean sure, folks have mostly moved away from them since a USB drive is what many, if not most use these days but I do have certain needs only these can fulfill because of what I've got.
Use what you want or have to, you don't have to justify or explain it to no one but yourself anyway as to why or why not you'd use them.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

My internet is not great and I don't like the idea of having a bunch of subscriptions to streaming services, so I still watch dvds and blurays.

I specifically looked for a dvd drive in my current case, a Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Cooling is a non issue if you don't buy ridiculous power hungry high end parts and are willing to spend a little time tweaking and optimising. I don't even have a fan on the front, and my PC runs very cool and almost silent.

I still buy physical media, so most of my machines still have optical drives.

However, the discs I buy usually only get used once (to add their contents to my online archive), then stored away. I built a workstation PC specifically for archiving my discs (an Antec Nine Hundred with 4 BD-ROMs and 4 DVD+-RW), so it gets the most use.

I've got one semi-regular use for optical media: retrocomputing. Sometimes it's easier to simply burn a disc than trying to figure out how to bootstrap a machine that predates USB without one.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 hours ago, johnno23 said:

Simple answer was high speed net connection. the moment that tap was open streaming for movies and downloading of games became the next big deal.

Also it gained tremendous support from the industry as now you can subscribe which means they get money forever but you the client can on the surface get instant access and watch play anytime anywhere ... the only real downside is that you no longer own anything. 

i mean, yeah, downloading does have advantages,  but they don't really outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion,  because of that.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The only physical media I use, is I'll still watch the occasional Blu ray (very occasional), but that would never be on my PC anyways, so yeah, I haven't missed it.

For the once in a 5 year stretch that I find some old disc and am curious what's on it? Well, I've just found I can live without it.

26 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean, yeah, downloading does have advantages,  but they don't really outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion

it depends which side of the fence you are on.

As a consumer the consumers got shafted as they no longer own any physical copy and now the supplier can continue to remarket repackage and resale.

The supplier no longer has to pay for distribution no hard physical media and the profits are sim[ply immense so the subscription method was an easy to do and easy solution.

The consumer pays for the hard ware pays for the ISP and then pays to download and view a digital file that sits on a server. The consumer also does the same to play a game. that game you we i paid for is not ours but merely a license and permission to play the game that is offered as is and often under the excuse of early release to hide behind as an excuse for bugridden unfinished and badly optimised but rushed out the door to meet boardroom and financial deadlines.

No wonder the optical drives died a fast and sudden death. 

Dump info on a server let consumer pay for everything to use that data and then charge them money to access that data...A perfect.marketing utopia. 

10 hours ago, Popo576 said:

Digital downloads and SSD's.  

Digital downloads meant you did not need a optical drive to get a copy of things.  Plus with SSD's and cheaper home networking we could move files around without an optical drive. 

Then SSD's and USB's got a LOT better than a optical drive.  An optical copy was a sort of backup for the HDD.  SSD's don't just DIE the way HDD's did.  Which is a shame since a clear copy securely stored on an optical disk in a cool, dark place (like in a safe) would be the best most secure archive of those irreplaceable bits of data.  

10 hours ago, Popo576 said:

Let's be honest, though: most people feel differently.

If there's a show I want to watch on a streaming service, I just have to... start watching. There's no downloads to manage, no NAS or media server to maintain. Yes, you only have access so long as you subscribe, but many people don't watch the same movie or TV show more than a few times at most. If you think Netflix or Prime Video is expensive, try buying every video you'd want to watch and creating the home infrastructure to play it across your devices.

That and certain practical realities get in the way. I don't live in a huge house, and I have an infant son; I'm not going to use valuable space to host dozens of discs that could easily break. And with file sizes growing for everything, let alone 4K HDR content, even a 100GB Blu-ray can feel inadequate. An SSD or hard drive will eventually stop working, but it's easy to migrate that data to newer drives.