[ Rant ] I hate the fact that in India, you can't open up your laptop to change your ram and/or SSD without voiding your warranty

I am a guy that lives in India presently 20. I love to tinker with electronics so I always wanted to replace my ram and/or SSD or HDD myself without going to a service center and waiting for the shit to get done which could literally take a day+. It's so bloody annoying and honestly I want to right profanity but idk if that's against Guidelines so I will limit it to just my annoying. I understand there are alot of third party reservicers but come on let me fix my own laptop.

How would anyone know you serviced your laptop?  Do they put stickers over the screws? 

Check your warranty laws, you may find they're illegal. 

Hard drive and ram traditionally was considered user replaceable components in a laptop and manuals even showed how to do these operations. 

Some models have easy to open panels precisely to make replacements easy ... ex ProBook series from HP, you just have to push a slide switch after removing the battery to open the back panel and have access to everything - IT guys that service tens to hundreds of such laptops in companies care about stuff like this. 

If there's no screws even better, get a spudger tool and open your laptop, and they won't know anything.

19 hours ago, mariushm said:

How would anyone know you serviced your laptop?  Do they put stickers over the screws? 

Hard drive and ram traditionally was considered user replaceable components in a laptop and manuals even showed how to do these operations. 

Some models have easy to open panels precisely to make replacements easy ... ex ProBook series from HP, you just have to push a slide switch after removing the battery to open the back panel and have access to everything - IT guys that service tens to hundreds of such laptops in companies care about stuff like this. 

If there's no screws even better, get a spudger tool and open your laptop, and they won't know anything.

They use some kind of blue powder on the screws and use that to check if someone has opened it

17 hours ago, josephclarksonsmu said:

I once took my laptop apart and didn't turn it back on, but I don't actually see a problem with removing the warranty because it's not that big and the likelihood of something breaking is pretty small, but in any case I don't recommend such moves).

I mean... I am just trying to add an SSD or ram.... It's not rocket science 

On 2/1/2023 at 6:54 AM, Bamgm14 said:

I mean... I am just trying to add an SSD or ram.... It's not rocket science 

putting a ssd into a pc or laptop doesn't void warranty unless its soldered in, because this is easily reversible even in case the computer wouldn't work.  Same for RAM , again unless soldered in. If these parts are indeed soldered then thats on the customer for not doing basic research before buying imho.

On 2/1/2023 at 6:53 AM, Bamgm14 said:

They use some kind of blue powder on the screws and use that to check if someone has opened it

And is there an actual law saying you're not allowed to change a hard-drive or is that just the sellers conditions?  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/31/2023 at 5:10 AM, aDoomGuy said:

It's not just India...

Litterally. I can't fatham how it's legal for companies to not support their devices if you don't go directly to them for repairs. If you have the audacty of replacing an xbox controller joystick... well, no warranty for you. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

On 2/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bamgm14 said:

That's probably threadlocker. It's meant to prevent the screws from loosening.

36 minutes ago, BrandonT.05 said:

Litterally. I can't fatham how it's legal for companies to not support their devices if you don't go directly to them for repairs. If you have the audacty of replacing an xbox controller joystick... well, no warranty for you. 

Quite simple. Capitalism.

What they want us to do, which is supported by politicians due to lobbyism is to make us pay for a product and pay again and again etc. It's just a matter of how to make us pay as many times as possible.

4 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Quite simple. Capitalism.

What they want us to do, which is supported by politicians due to lobbyism is to make us pay for a product and pay again and again etc. It's just a matter of how to make us pay as many times as possible.

dam thows people buying things over and over causing global warming... lets prophet from it.

i dont get what the plan is. people so poor they cant buy anything thow who will be buying things? the rich? the rich milk the less rich? perfect.

poor people ill just go die now i guess...

and yes i no moeny is literally  printed

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 1/31/2023 at 5:22 AM, mariushm said:

Magnusson Moss is Us Case law, not even a law. 
All the parts in laptops are serialized and tied to the serial number of the laptop in HPs case, even though they give you the manual to do that and have a part store in the US. Yes, outside the US (and products imported into the us) have void if removed stickers. 

14 hours ago, starsmine said:

Yes, outside the US (and products imported into the us) have void if removed stickers. 

but not on laptops and certainly not for hard drive bays. Source: being outside the US

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well, I just have to point out that the TYPE of laptop makes a difference.

I have an thin and light 360 model and I have to say it was a complete Pain to change the SSD.

Having carefully jimmied everything apart according to IFIXIT instructions, some of the clips now don't work.

i.e. the case has a slight crack where it doesn't completely come together anymore.

But it is 5 years old, so it didn't affect its function or life.

In contrast, I used to buy workstation class laptops just because they were so easy to work on and upgrade.

I would buy on sale a powerful workstation laptop with 8GB of ram and a 256 GB hard drive.

Then buy ram on sale for 1/4 the price of buying from the laptop seller pre-built.

The same with upgrading the SSD.

The point is that if you want to work on(upgrade easily) your laptop, don't buy from APPLE and don't buy a slim and light.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:22 PM, thrasher_565 said:

dam thows people buying things over and over causing global warming... lets prophet from it.

i dont get what the plan is. people so poor they cant buy anything thow who will be buying things? the rich? the rich milk the less rich? perfect.

poor people ill just go die now i guess...

and yes i no moeny is literally  printed

I'm sorry but your message is being diluted here.  It comes off as an uninformed rant due to your spelling.

You're not exactly wrong, but you are a little sensational and overdramatic with it.

Don't forget, we're all in this for ourselves, you and me and companies.   Who truly is a good guy?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Even if a country says its "illegal" I'm sure some manufacturers warranties cover it.  Just pick the right manufacturer.  I mean technically using XMP ram settings is supposed to void your warranty, but they cover it anyway in most places.

EDIT: If there isn't some kind of seal you can just put the original equipment back in if you want work done anyway.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator