Windows Doesn’t Suck! Microsoft Just Wants You To Think So…

Everyone who uses a computer uses Windows at least sometimes. But how many Windows features are they using? There’s more to the operating system than you might think, even if you’ve used it a lot!

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Does anyone have a copy paste version of the commands from 1:45? They arent in the description or anything and I keep mistyping something.

5 minutes ago, ascii557755 said:

Does anyone have a copy paste version of the commands from 1:45? They arent in the description or anything and I keep mistyping something.

Here you go:

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

You can gold plate a turd but it still would be turd.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Love the mention of Sysinternals especially Autoruns. I've recommended this software on this forum multiple times to the point of looking like im sponsored by it!

11 minutes ago, SyedN2000 said:

Here you go:

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

I ran those two commands but I can't find where to start the group policy editor from. Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, gwynbleidd97 said:

I ran those two commands but I can't find where to start the group policy editor from. Any ideas?

press win key and type ''editor group policy''

1 minute ago, Ritee said:

ran the commands up group policy doesn't show when searching

2 minutes ago, Ritee said:

image.thumb.png.ada519f7228dc6f8114a998da3870558.png

3 minutes ago, zambaito said:

I did this and it worked

Win + R, followed by Gpedit.msc

Windows Search is just that terrible.

Yup this is what I was going to suggest as well, it just doesn't show up in the Windows Search.

Linus should mention that Microsoft approached the devs of Chocolatey, along with a bunch of other third party managers, before releasing winget.

Using winget to install Chocolatey just feels... wrong.

Can someone tell me which event I need to find in task scheduler to get an alert when a disk is failing? (like at 3:00 in the video)?

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

it's kinda sad seeing the way windows is going nowadays.. having recently switched to linux about 2 months ago, i can safely say ill never look back..

1 minute ago, Yuiski said:

it's kinda sad seeing the way windows is going nowadays.. having recently switched to linux about 2 months ago, i can safely say ill never look back..

I actually use both daily, Windows mostly for games and junk and don't often have insurmountable problems just annoyances. Linux for my laptop because it runs way faster on lower spec hardware and rarely do I have insurmountable problems just annoyances. For me, both are OK but for anyone who's older and somewhat tech illiterate and just needs to websites and emails LINUX LINUX LINUX!

How many of these functions are Windows 11 only? Or very updated Windows 10? Or do they all just work no matter the version? I'm rocking a Windows 10 install from 2016 that's never been updated so idk how many of these would work on my install.

How do I install Windows PowerToys Run?

Edit: Found it. It is part of the PowerToys utility. Thanks.

Just now, MG-X said:

I would like to see the commands used in a video to be put in the description by default

Yes that would make sense. Or even just a simple doc with links to sites that explain these features. Like the HDD error popup, can't find anything about that online. Nice idea Linus, now HOW do I do it?

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb