Windows Doesn’t Suck! Microsoft Just Wants You To Think So…

8 minutes ago, Continuum said:

How interesting. Did it install Google Updater alongside Chrome?

I have not installed it this way myself, but from the looks of it, it is the same installer you can get here. And since you can select an update channel there, I'd say that yes, yes it does.

Has anyone else installed group policy editor on windows 11 home and actually had it work?

I have it installed via the instructions in this video, and it opens just fine but it doesn't seem to actually do anything when I change policies.

and I have tried running gpupdate /force in an administrator command prompt, it still doesn't seem to actually apply anything.

For example, I tried the disable lock screen setting at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization, setting "Do not display the lockscreen" to enabled does not seem to actually work.

I've tried running gpupdate /force in a terminal and rebooting and it still doesn't actually appear to do anything at all.

AMD R7 3700X

32GB Mushkin Redline 3200MHz DDR4

Aorus A530 Elite WIFI

Bequiet Shadow Rock 3

EVGA RTX 2060 Super

Phanteks AMP 650W

Fractal Pop Air

Windows 11 / Arch Linux

Does anyone know what theme anthony or linus used at the oh my posh segment of the video 

I tried Win11 early last year, didn't like it. Changed too much stuff.

Visually, Windows XP and Win7 had the best UIsk, 7 was peak Windows. It looked like something. Win10 and 11 just don't look as nice. I might install Win 11 again to try it out later on this year and if I do, I will use Startallback, it attempts to fix issues that people don't like about 11. Google StartAllBack if your interested.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:19 PM, Sjonnick said:

Does anyone know what theme anthony or linus used at the oh my posh segment of the video 

powerlevel10k_rainbow. Gotta say though, I tried it out and the multiline experience is pretty annoying. I do a lot of powershell and I think I'll just keep the terminal basic.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

On 1/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, zambaito said:

I did this and it worked

Win + R, followed by Gpedit.msc

Windows Search is just that terrible.

Any OS is not terrible but those who got pirate software and complain that legit functions should also work on their side. 
If I search on my legit Windows with these keywords >> " Group Pol " >> I've got instantly "Edit Group Policy" function. 🙂 

GP.png

16 hours ago, StevenNoJobs said:

Any OS is not terrible but those who got pirate software and complain that legit functions should also work on their side. 
If I search on my legit Windows with these keywords >> " Group Pol " >> I've got instantly "Edit Group Policy" function. 🙂

....It almost sounds like you're just assuming that folks that don't have group policy editor on their system must just be pirates... despite the fact that MS themselves have essentially removed it from basically all non-business-use-case(Home) systems their last 2 OS's are installed on...  Is that right?  Am I missing something?(I know it's possible)

I'm using the 'Windows 10 Home' version of Microsux Microsoft's Windows OS that came installed on my Acer Aspire A515-51G-515J laptop.  I'd have installed something else on it perhaps, but couldn't get Windows Install to see the drives on which to install it!  I was blown away that it was showing properly in the BIOS, but not to Windows!  ...something to do with Boot Security, I guess?  Such's a new concept to me.  I've been using Windows since growing up(same time as Linus) &, thru the years, have done clean installs of Win95 all the way thru 7 - when MS totally lost me(F🤬🤬🤬ING un-signed driver update BULLS💩💩💩.  I used to be a power user.  MS's B.S. has made that STUPIDLY difficult since it's not my career field(& only less difficult for folks in that category cuz they're working on/with it most every day, I'd expect)

...anyway, yea, still using the Win10 Home that this thing came w/ & NOT using a pirated version(though I've been guilty of that in the past, so it's not like I'm inexperienced w/ such) & yea, this....

image.png.b376e81a60d0b6e508b8282ddca61755.png

...yields this...

image.png.6d7c2e2f60758eb0f1a7031f1b3a73b4.png  ...because some @$$hat @ Microsux thought it'd be what's best.  Waahoo. -_-

Edited by Mr.Nelf
moved "(Home)" for clarity

Anyway, the whole reason I'm here today is my attempt to utilize the Task Scheduler(like described in the video) to do what I feel is an INSANELY simple task has, of course, failed in a most pathetic manner.  That & Windows is just as helpful as usual💩 with the problem.

GOAL: I want to have Windows Task Manager auto-start w/ Admin-privileges when I log into my primary(non-admin) user account.

Having things Auto-Start works without issue on the Admin account on the computer, as does KEEPING default apps opening their associated files properly(Windows only tries to reset that on the non-admin-user account!), but not my primary.  I understand that the majority of cyber attacks can be mitigated, if not completely defeated, by simply NOT giving the account you primarily use the ability to carry out the attacker's commands(Admin-privileges).

PROCESS:  I've created a task in Task Scheduler within a new folder called Admin's Custom(as far as I know, these folders have no bearing on privileges.  Is this idea wrong?)

Also, I'm utilizing Task Scheduler WITH Admin Privileges on my Primary account(so when I tell it run as admin, it asks for & receives the password from me) so I wouldn't think the issue is that it's not got the proper privileges.

image.png.3098740a628633e17377f5e26b89f698.png

The task:

image.png.394e9dd1305649387b8b70ba9439495f.png

^When I first tried it, I misunderstood "Run only when user is logged on" & realized, after the first test resulted in it not even trying to run it, that I didn't want to require me to log into the Administrator's account(I'm trying to get it to auto-start w/ Admin privileges when I log into my non-admin Primary user account).  Using the option shown here, it asks for the password for the Administrator account, which I assume it uses to run the program with the desired elevated privileges.

image.png.8c6f9fe69ab5431d8ef728008889fac4.png

image.png.065ff02093c322dbfb07fa56258e20fb.png

image.png.c6d361787a1eb69e397b08a286893d5d.png

image.png.5cc83f2c57f2cb1651e38b570041201d.png

image.png.11307a1f22a6a73af499d186e5af2bc1.png

I saved the task & rebooted the computer

The Result:

image.png.a0a856eff6f9da538ac4dc6d77f633aa.png

Trying to diagnose with that error code yields lots of articles/forum posts/threads about Windows Update...which makes no sense to me as I'm not trying to do anything but start a program with admin privileges as programed by the frickn' admin!  Not doing anything w/ WinUpdate, lol!  What am I missing, yall?  I saw this video & thought, "REALLY??  We can make the OS work properly still??"  & got all excited.  That didn't last long.  -_-

Edited by Mr.Nelf
clarified "Auto-start w/ Admin Privileges"

On 1/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, Mr.Nelf said:

Anyway, the whole reason I'm here today is my attempt to utilize the Task Scheduler(like described in the video) to do what I feel is an INSANELY simple task has, of course, failed in a most pathetic manner.  That & Windows is just as helpful as usual💩 with the problem.

[...]

I do not think you can finesse graphical programs in that way. You aren't going to see it because it is going to spawn in Administrator's session instead of yours. Put INTERACTIVE USER as the selected user and leave 'highest privileges' checked, that will probably do it.

I'm sure someone will rip me a new one for this but the multi account method is only needed if you are addicted to clicking the yes button for everything. Elevating via UAC in your normal session is acceptable.

As for this group policy thing, IMO just save yourself the effort and use policyplus. The gpo searcher it has is nice if you don't already know the layout of all the trees you want to access.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

It would be very nice to have a written version of this video. This was a very nice compilation of quite a lot of useful advice.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, SyedN2000 said:

Here you go:

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.2311
An error occurred - Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package Error: 0x80070490
& 4 errors in dism.log
DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070490
DISM Package Manager: Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070490)
DISM Package Manager: Failed processing package changes - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x80070490)
DISM Package Manager: finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070490)

On 1/31/2023 at 8:14 PM, jake9000 said:

I do not think you can finesse graphical programs in that way. You aren't going to see it because it is going to spawn in Administrator's session instead of yours. Put INTERACTIVE USER as the selected user and leave 'highest privileges' checked, that will probably do it.

I'm sure someone will rip me a new one for this but the multi account method is only needed if you are addicted to clicking the yes button for everything. Elevating via UAC in your normal session is acceptable.

As for this group policy thing, IMO just save yourself the effort and use policyplus. The gpo searcher it has is nice if you don't already know the layout of all the trees you want to access.

@jake9000Thx bruh, but I don't have "INTERACTIVE USER" available as a user to select...

image.png.eca9f4e8915c080829c7274a5cda0c31.png

On 2/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, Mourner4555 said:
Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.2311
An error occurred - Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package Error: 0x80070490
& 4 errors in dism.log
DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=80070490
DISM Package Manager: Failed while processing command add-package. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x80070490)
DISM Package Manager: Failed processing package changes - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChanges(hr:0x80070490)
DISM Package Manager: finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x80070490)

@Mourner4555 Thx bruh, I had seen that, just hadn't gotten to it.  As far as my responding to StevenNoJobs, I was just reiterating the default Win10 Home environment/scenario.  I finally got to trying out those commands tonight & found it now allows me to bring up the group policy editor properly.  NO THANKS TO YOU MICROSOFT, YOU F^&*-TARDS!  I'm very much looking forward to diving in & customizing my system more powerfully in the next week or so.  😄

MICROSOFT!  STOP SHAFTING YOUR POWER-USER CUSTOMERS, FOR F@#$ SAKE!!!

• 3 weeks later...

-SIGHHHHHHHH-

So, I got access to the Group Policy Editor, went through most of it & adjusted settings to the way I thought I wanted things, but now I've got a problem that I'm sure was caused by a settings change(thankfully, this is the only issue that's shown up since): Now, when I shut down my laptop, it literally takes over a minute & ~25 seconds before it finally fully shuts off(it was shutting down within 10-15sec B4).  I went back in t'nite & changed some things again, but the issue remains.  I have found that I can filter what's shown so it only shows items that've been configured, vs the un-configured items, but only in certain folders & none of those items seem to be the culprit.  I can't imagine what policy change would do this.😑

Any ideas? (please)

On 1/21/2023 at 7:06 PM, ascii557755 said:

Does anyone have a copy paste version of the commands from 1:45? They arent in the description or anything and I keep mistyping something.

With PowerToys you can use the text extraction tool.
Simply press [ Win ]+[ Shift ]+[ T ]
This activates a curser with wich you can select any text like a screenshot and this will be pasted automatically to your clipboard.

When pasting you get smt like that from any video/pic or web paragraphs that have been made with unselectable texts like on DisplaySpecifications ;D

*paste*
FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package-*.mum")
DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart
FOR O/OF IN
Package-* .mum") DO (DISM 10nline /NoRestart

On 2/22/2023 at 8:43 PM, Mr.Nelf said:

-SIGHHHHHHHH-

So, I got access to the Group Policy Editor, went through most of it & adjusted settings to the way I thought I wanted things, but now I've got a problem that I'm sure was caused by a settings change(thankfully, this is the only issue that's shown up since): Now, when I shut down my laptop, it literally takes over a minute & ~25 seconds before it finally fully shuts off(it was shutting down within 10-15sec B4).  I went back in t'nite & changed some things again, but the issue remains.  I have found that I can filter what's shown so it only shows items that've been configured, vs the un-configured items, but only in certain folders & none of those items seem to be the culprit.  I can't imagine what policy change would do this.😑

Any ideas? (please)

Today I looked up a way to reset the laptop's Group Policies(basically utilizing the sorting ability I noticed & mentioned in my last post: under "Administrative Templates>All Settings" for both the "Computer Configuration" & the "User Configuration" sections & manually turning everything back to "Not configured"), tried it, rebooted computer(didn't work), then had it reboot again(didn't work), then just shut down.  ...Didn't work. 😑  So, I guess this new time wasting behavior is caused by something else.  ..maybe the Microsoft Update Health Tools app installed on the 10th last month?  Nothing else shows under Apps installed between my making changes to the Group Policy & my noticing the delayed shutdown issue.

I looked at my restore points & it's only got THREE! 😠  & they only go back to the 17th before which I'm sure I started noticing the issue. Maybe I'll need to reset the laptop AGAIN.  I just did that mid-Dec. this last year, though, so not too keen on going through all the setup/re-install stuff again so soon.

Is there any possibility that just running whatever code it was that enabled me to use the Group Policy Editor might've had this effect?  I hate how I seem to have the most ridiculous issues that nearly no one else seems to have, making the search for the solution so much more difficult/time consuming.  Hopefully, this helps SOMEbody out there.

-Insert 'nother rant about how I hate MS' guts for all their BS-