Looking for a cheap dual system case - which one should I get?

NunoLava1998

I was thinking about building a new PC, but I don't want to buy a whole other case and power supply (to conserve space, but also because it should consume pretty little electricity). I've looked into mini cases, but getting the SFX power supplies for those are usually pretty expensive, and they still occupy some space, so I've been looking into dual system cases - that way, I'd have one case with both of my systems.

I can't really find that many cheap dual-system cases though; the only decent one I've found is the MagniumGear NEO Qube 2, but that's 179€ on Amazon - I'd really like to get that down if possible, given that it's nearly the price of my entire new build. Does anybody know of any decent cheaper dual system cases?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

7 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

dual-system cases

Might be the language barrier, but when you say "dual-system" I think either "dual boot" (as in Windows or Linux) or "dual PC" as in two complete systems in one case, which I don't think you mean here...what are you trying to say?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Might be the language barrier, but when you say "dual-system" I think either "dual boot" (as in Windows or Linux) or "dual PC" as in two complete systems in one case, which I don't think you mean here...what are you trying to say?

Dual-PC, as in, two motherboards - sorry if I didn't make that clear

6 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Dual-PC, as in, two motherboards - sorry if I didn't make that clear

No worries, dual-motherboard PC cases are rare..and as such, will probably be on the expensive side.

I am a tad confused tho...this is the link to the case you like:

https://magnium-gear.com/neoqube2.html

But I"m not seeing any way of mounting two mobos, to GPUs, two PSUs etc in that case?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

No worries, dual-motherboard PC cases are rare..and as such, will probably be on the expensive side.

I am a tad confused tho...this is the link to the case you like:

https://magnium-gear.com/neoqube2.html

But I"m not seeing any way of mounting two mobos, to GPUs, two PSUs etc in that case?

From what I understand, it's on the back; the front isn't anything really special. Not sure about two PSUs, but I plan on powering both with my main PSU if that's possible

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

but I plan on powering both with my main PSU if that's possible

I'm not certain that is...you'd need two 24 pin connectors at a minimum....I've not seen any PSUs that offer that.

I mean you can split one into two like this

https://www.amazon.com/dual-psu-adapter/s?k=dual+psu+adapter

but I'd be rather concerned about the power delivery and stability of that

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's in the back and uses the Phanteks PSU designed for dual systems.

https://phanteks.com/Revolt-X.html

image.png.ce972e3ab8330d884eedb9d57a90ce0c.png

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I plan on powering both with my main PSU if that's possible

Not really. Having 2 motherboards on 1 24 pin, if it's possible would be annoying. First thing I see is when you power one system on, it'll power the other system on as well. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's in the back and uses the Phanteks PSU designed for dual systems.

https://phanteks.com/Revolt-X.html

That's pretty crazy in a neat "who needs this?" kind of way.

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm not certain that is...you'd need two 24 pin connectors at a minimum....I've not seen any PSUs that offer that.

I mean you can split one into two like this

https://www.amazon.com/dual-psu-adapter/s?k=dual+psu+adapter

but I'd be rather concerned about the power delivery and stability of that

The problem is that those adapters are for two power supplies for one system. I used one of them in my folding rig until I got a motherboard that supports dual power supplies.

Spoiler

62D16CEA-F92A-4325-B8C8-3C59DAC91E5F.thumb.jpeg.13e7d64180a7108091db64d5f461baff.jpeg

The connector with 2 wires is just there to tell the second power supply to turn on when you push the power button for the motherboard. Otherwise you do the pin jumping and start both power supplies at the same time thing. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's pretty crazy in a neat "who needs this?" kind of way.

OP does. I wouldn't run two systems off one power supply unless it has 2 separate 24 pin connectors. 

17 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

From what I understand, it's on the back; the front isn't anything really special. Not sure about two PSUs, but I plan on powering both with my main PSU if that's possible

I'm not sure if the Phanteks Evolv X has come down in price, or what it's price is there, but I had one stuffed for a while and it did well. It's also dual system. 

Phanteks actually has a few cases IIRC that are set up for dual system. Enthoo Mini XL(?) name is something like that I think.

Enthoo Pro 2 does too and used to be cheaper than a lot of the other Phanteks cases.

Edit: Dug far enough through my attachments to find my old Evolv X.

Spoiler

IMG-20210512-WA0037.jpeg.849fa4df10fdfff9553dff7c28569210.jpeg

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

OP does

Poor choice of words on my part, what I meant to say was "what kind of market is there for this?" but I guess the mining folk were the intended market.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Poor choice of words on my part, what I meant to say was "what kind of market is there for this?" but I guess the mining folk were the intended market.

Nah, mining fold want more power supplies than motherboards. The adapter you linked above is for them, or those of us with too many graphics cards for one power supply. 

The market is getting smaller and smaller, but there was a big market for dual system cases when video editing and streaming was still "relatively" very taxing for hardware. Want to stream and play games at the same time with no performance loss? 2 computer set up. Don't have space for 2 towers? Go dual system. 

41 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

a whole other case and power supply

I think either way you skin this, you're looking at a different case and another power supply or one that will work for dual systems. What components would you put in the second system? If it's not stuff that's really hot, there are ITX cases that will support an ATX power supply. 

I built "Project Hot Box" in one of these cases. 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/RVZ03/

Was way too small and didn't have the airflow for a 5800x and a 6800xt, but not too long ago I set it up with a full size gt 1030 and 9100f for my mom as a work from home just needs to get by computer. It can fit an ATX power supply, but go with a full modular one for sure. Cables get hard to tuck. There's quite a few other cases like that too.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

48 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I was thinking about building a new PC, but I don't want to buy a whole other case and power supply (to conserve space, but also because it should consume pretty little electricity). I've looked into mini cases, but getting the SFX power supplies for those are usually pretty expensive, and they still occupy some space, so I've been looking into dual system cases - that way, I'd have one case with both of my systems.

I can't really find that many cheap dual-system cases though; the only decent one I've found is the MagniumGear NEO Qube 2, but that's 179€ on Amazon - I'd really like to get that down if possible, given that it's nearly the price of my entire new build. Does anybody know of any decent cheaper dual system cases?

Again, the Phanteks P600S, greatest case of all 😄  has that too ! (I don't use that feature tho)

It's around $200, same price range 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

179€ on Amazon - I'd really like to get that down if possible

I can tell you right now dual system cases do not exist for under that price point, unless there's a sale on a P600S / P500A or something. On top of that, there's very little selection for them because they are such a niche product. Lastly, you will still likely need to buy an additional PSU anyways, either a standalone unit, or a higher wattage unit to power two systems with some form of complicated power diverter unit (Phanteks used to make one I think...)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

dont. im building 2 pcs in one case but i also love cases... so its better off just having 2 imo... you can even stack em if need be.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I can tell you right now dual system cases do not exist for under that price point, unless there's a sale on a P600S / P500A or something. On top of that, there's very little selection for them because they are such a niche product. Lastly, you will still likely need to buy an additional PSU anyways, either a standalone unit, or a higher wattage unit to power two systems with some form of complicated power diverter unit (Phanteks used to make one I think...)

I'll probably go for a separate case then. A bit of a shame, but at least it's a lot cheaper.

(As for the PSU - the second system I want to build is a retro build with an iGPU, so it consumes almost no power - from what I'm reading, it shouldn't be any more than about 50W, so it wouldn't be a huge issue to use one PSU to power both as long as you have the right adapters)

20 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

ya phantec was in to the dule system thing. had an adapter to make 2 psus run one system or 1 psu to run 2 systems. the also sold a duel system psu 1500w i think but its costly.

there are cheap 24pin adapters but then you also need the cpu power i guess from sata or mole x

most of the case had 1 atx and 1 itx ones that can do 2 atx cost way more.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

19 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya phantec was in to the dule system thing. had an adapter to make 2 psus run one system or 1 psu to run 2 systems. the also sold a duel system psu 1500w i think but its costly.

there are cheap 24pin adapters but then you also need the cpu power i guess from sata or mole x

most of the case had 1 atx and 1 itx ones that can do 2 atx cost way more.

I'm trying to build a retro system, and the motherboards from that era don't even have a CPU power connector lol - just a 20-pin. The motherboard manual says that it shouldn't consume any more than 50-200W, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Spoiler

image.png.4a700931be4d72766df178e1207cfd12.png

image.png.0fe85a135f2b108bc988cc14352e4e2a.png

12 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

What will both systems be used for ?

One will just be my main system, and the other will just be a retro system I'll use for testing out older software - I want to emulate the conditions of a real system from those times, so I'd rather not use a virtual machine.

The reason why I'd want it in a dual system case is because it wouldn't look as cluttered on my desk, but it does seem pretty expensive, so I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea.

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm trying to build a retro system, and the motherboards from that era don't even have a CPU power connector lol - just a 20-pin. The motherboard manual says that it shouldn't consume any more than 50-200W, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.4a700931be4d72766df178e1207cfd12.png

image.png.0fe85a135f2b108bc988cc14352e4e2a.png

One will just be my main system, and the other will just be a retro system I'll use for testing out older software - I want to emulate the conditions of a real system from those times, so I'd rather not use a virtual machine.

The reason why I'd want it in a dual system case is because it wouldn't look as cluttered on my desk, but it does seem pretty expensive, so I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea.

its probly not atx then so it be a diy mount anyway

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

its probly not atx then so it be a diy mount anyway

if hes lucky its micro atx if not its a old odd standard not used anymore.

12 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

if hes lucky its micro atx if not its a old odd standard not used anymore.

what was the old mb mount called before atx? and they used the old 2 plug wight psu connectors...