Apple Macs Are Cheaper Than Windows PCs - Really?

Geekazoid
Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

PLEASE NOTE: I would appreciate it if you were to not start any debates that could become heated. I believe we can all voice our opinions without starting a fight of any kind. If a heated debate starts to erupt I will have no other choice then to request that this thread be locked. I know you all can discuss the article that I've posted in a mature manner without such a debate starting.

5) You probably would call Fort Knox an easy target ... There is a reason why there are no viruses for OS X (and no it isn't the lack of potential targets)

Can you name any financial institutions that run OSX? Can you name any large (fortune 500) company that only runs OS?

I can't, most banks in my area seem to use PCs, and I've never seen a mac in a professional environment bar the art industry.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

None of those have a 2560x1600 or higher res display, except the yoga 2 pro, but it has only 4gb of ram and the SSD seems to be SATA? So It's not as good.

Oh and the cheaper ones seem to have a plastic chassis, which is a big turn off for me.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Matlab, AutoCAD, Maya, Sublime Text, Filemaker, Final Cut, Logic, Capture One, Cubase, Ableton, IntelliJ, Blender, Cinema4D,Modo .... all some 3rd party apps no one has ever heard of ....

There are also absolutely 0 game, expect those I am playing like Diablo 3 and CS:GO ...

You're right I forgot VMware or Parallels to run Windows apps that don't exist on the Mac but Mac users need to get actual work done :lol:

Of course Mac users running VMware or Parallels pay for the official license to run Windows so they are also aiding Microsoft, thank you for your support of Microsoft. (don't worry we know you pirate it, evil scum)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I'll give you one thing: Resale value. PC's loose their value waay quicker than Mac's do. That's a thing. But why is that? That is because PC hardware always gets better and that we can have great value for our money while buying a new pc. Mac's don't get outdated that fast but that is because they don't realase that often. And because people can't afford new Mac and buy old Mac's just too have the lifestyle. Everybody can have a PC. Praise the glorious PC Masterrace.

Yep, I sold a 4 year old iMac for over $250.

steaming pile of crap. the whole "os x is more sucure" only less then 8% of people have a mac, so why make a mac virus, make a virus that could effect 92% of the internets...

plus OS X is confusing as crap and it inefficient (im a os x hater look below)

LMAO OSX is soooo easy to use. You must be somehow mentally challenged to not understand MacOSX

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

plus OS X is confusing as crap and it inefficient (im a os x hater look below)

It is?  I have no personal esperience of OSX but one thing I drew from the writings on the 'net was that it was easy (some would say too easy [simplistic]) to use.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

'5) No antivirus purchase needed:'

LOL, Who really buys it.

why did you quote me?

am I missing something? xD

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

These are reasons why apple is better, not why it is cheaper. I don't need to even tell that you can get  Windows legally for free these days with OEM machines. There is even a second way to get a free key code. Most of users in this world use windows, and if you need a reinstall, you download a pirated copy, but extract the key code from the same machine you want to install your new windows on, and you have it for free.... I don't even need to say how upgrading with Macs is a pain in the ass, and if you build a Hackintosh, oh, i remember, ITS ILLEGAL, I will just download a nice theme pack and stick to the Windows and the mighty PC....

Hackintoshing isn't illegal you need to buy a mac to create a bootable OSX drive which means you are still paying Apple. (also have you ever heard of the police showing up at anybodys house because they use a hackintosh?)

why did you quote me?

am I missing something? xD

I don't remember quoting anybody, Mmmm strange

I hit 'reply to this topic'

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

The eighth one is the only one that makes any sort of sense, but it also doesn't since I'm not the type to sell computers.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I find threads like this amusing with 12 year olds on either side trying to justify how small their manhood is by trying to boast the benefits of whatever OS/hardware they picked because thats all they have going in their lives. I'm just curious, are any of you this confrontational and thick headed in real life? I'm amazed you even function in a modern society. Oh wait, keyboard warriors. Thats what we all are these days. God forbid we comment to some social standard and with some mutual respect. 

Those that aren't immature brats realize that you buy what makes the most sense and has the best bang for your buck, regardless of where it came from. Before I had OSX I had Windows, before Windows I had OSX again. I don't care what my hardware runs, I'm not a inept Lemur who doesn't read English and has his head so far up his ass that he can't adapt. 

Am I going back to OSX when this beast of a 17" dies? Depends. Given my budget of X, does A, B or C fit the bill? Last time around the Mac was a cheaper and more refined option. Next time it could be that Razer Blade. Hell, who knows. I'm not that big a fanboy to blindly pick one side and then try and demean those that prefer something else. 

To answer the question, yes they actually can be. My 17" MBP was the cheapest of the lot 4 years ago compared to everything else, and everything else didn't have sweet aluminum und glass und matte screen to go along with it. I know, shocker. Apple does know how to make something have 'value' despite the internet telling you all that Apple is for hipster idiots. 

EDIT: You may have to scroll to the top of the page, it seems to be loading at the bottom of it.

if you remove #disqus_thread from the end of the URL address then it won't jump to the bottom/comments when clicking the link

if you remove #disqus_thread from the end of the URL address then it won't jump to the bottom/comments when clicking the link

Thanks for that. I will do that right now. :)

EDIT: Did that, it's still going to the bottom of the page by default.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

PURE BULL-SHIT.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1: Yep, PC's can't have SSD's.

2: Okay, makes sense.

3: Okay, seems legit.

4: Lower power = lower performance.

5: Who needs anti-virus? Free trials are good enough anyway. (Unless you watch "vids")

6: Why do people need bootcamp?

7: Not even gonna bother to explain.

8: Because an iMac costs more than a custom built PC?

9: We can service it OURSELVES.

10: Lolwat?

11: ?

12: Kay screw you Apple.

1: Yep, PC's can't have SSD's.

2: Okay, makes sense.

3: Okay, seems legit.

4: Lower power = lower performance.

5: Who needs anti-virus? Free trials are good enough anyway. (Unless you watch "vids")

6: Why do people need bootcamp?

7: Not even gonna bother to explain.

8: Because an iMac costs more than a custom built PC?

9: We can service it OURSELVES.

10: Lolwat?

11: ?

12: Kay screw you Apple.

That's some quite interesting summing up there. :D

Yeah, at least he had correct spelling. The author can't even spell malware right. It's always mallware. Like malware will go to the mall and shop then kill owners.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

@CowsGoRoar, LionsGoMoo. :P

No, it doesn't. How'd you fix that? :o

I'll edit the first post now. ;)

1. What? I'm quite sure that I can make a C2D w/ DDR2 run Vista faster than it does OS X. In fact, the C2D Mac OS Lion experience is one I don't EVER want to have to go through again.

2. It's ironic that the title is "Apples to Apples" because that certainly doesn't apply here. Maybe the Mavericks upgrade is free, but nothing else is.

3. Kinda have to agree here. Win Movie maker is absolute garbage compared to iMovie.

4. What in the living f-  this isn't even fair, iMacs are just stupid nerfed laptops in AIO form! Not to mention that Macs are still PCs under the hood...Apple didn't ever invent anything new.

5. OS X can also do about 10% of a PC's abilities to compensate for 10% of the viruses. No RSDLite, SDK is a pain in the ass, not to mention games, etc.

6. No comment. Absolutely atrocious point.

7. Again, how do you like C2D Macbook Pros? I certainly don't like them. Completely irrelevant argument, Macs age the same as PCs because Macs use the same components as Windows laptops. Period.

8. So, he's trying to prove that iSheep are incapable of taking into account price-performance? Ok.

9. Macs are low maintenance, but that's the same argument as before. Let's move on.

10. http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/101/781/Y0UJC.png Have you tried disassembling a laptop? Yeah. Not pretty. I'm not sure that it would be more convenient than servicing a desktop, but whatever you say...

11. "the program "pages" is better". Whatever you say, everyone who uses microsoft word must be mistaken then.

12. Then why don't I see server rooms full of Mac Pros? People using Macs as NASes? 

Wrap Up: Dude, you still haven't proved the point you were trying to make.

What's your thoughts on this guys? I would love to hear them. :D

Almost everything in his list/article is conjecture.  His points are set in vague statements without any concrete evidence to back them up.  He is basically saying, "This is so. I am stating what I say is true, believe me."

Having said that, our family has two Macbook Pro's.  One is a 15" 2.4 Ghz C2D, early Jan 2009 (with removable battery).  The other is a 17" 2.9Ghz C2D, mid 2009 model.  The 15" has been "okay", but not super reliable.  The display had to be replaced, disiplay had ugly permanent watermark in center and hinge was failing.  AppleCare nearly did not cover the cost of repair... the genius was a jerk and said it was unlikely the repair would be covered, fortunately he was wrong.   So their service is not super, but is on par I guess.  It certainly isn't free... something like $300 I think for 3yr coverage.  

The 17" on the other hand has been my most reliable laptop ever.  I'm typing from it now.  I like OS X over windows for the convenience of the terminal shell command line.  But that is about it.  I can easily install a shell using CYGWIN for free in windows (and I have), with all the same features that the Terminal POSIX shell in OS X gives me.   It is also convenient to jump into WIndows on a Mac, natively using bootcamp rather than having to use a VM.  Gaming in VMs would suck of course.   It's been upgraded to a 500GB SSD and a 2nd 500GB HDD (optibay) and 8GB ram.  The backlight for the keyboard no longer works.  But I can see this lasting another year or two. 

So, I could basically write my own article using hyperbole to one extreme or the other, depending on my mood... hating it or loving it.   But that would be lame.  It was fun to read the article OP, thanks for posting.

No, it doesn't. How'd you fix that? :o

I'll edit the first post now. ;)

I just dropped the #disqus_thread from the end of the URL.  When you tried it and it didn't work your browser was probably auto-completing the full URL with that hashtag at the end because of it being in cache or your history.

It was fun to read the article OP, thanks for posting.

No worries mate! :D