Apple Macs Are Cheaper Than Windows PCs - Really?

Geekazoid
Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

PLEASE NOTE: I would appreciate it if you were to not start any debates that could become heated. I believe we can all voice our opinions without starting a fight of any kind. If a heated debate starts to erupt I will have no other choice then to request that this thread be locked. I know you all can discuss the article that I've posted in a mature manner without such a debate starting.

post-14986-0-35255900-1399183493.jpg

http://www.andrewbrettwatson.com/index.php/mac/70-apples-to-apples-macs-are-cheaper-than-windows-pcs

EDIT: You may have to scroll to the top of the page, it seems to be loading at the bottom of it.

Hi guys,
So, I came across an article that states the above and it got me thinking, is this really true? For one of the tests the guy was testing Windows Vista against Mac OS X Lion and stated "don't kid yourself that windows 7 or 8 will be much better". I don't know about you but (and I dislike this term) that sounds so much like an arrogant Apple Fanboy comment.

Now I'm not hating on Apple because as well as having a desktop PC (of which I really like) I also own a 2012 MacBook Air, an iPad and an iPhone. But this guys article just sounds so arrogant, like Apple Fanboys are, and I just think that his testing is really quite bias.

What's your thoughts on this guys? I would love to hear them. :D

EDIT: Added a poll.
EDIT: Added another poll.

post-14986-0-35255900-1399183493.jpg

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Just get normal PC

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

its all opinionated situational bullcrap

Hmm, it certainly sounds that way.

Basically only 2, 3 and 8 make some sense, otherwise, it's pure bullshit.

I love how its going on about the cost of OS upgrades. Sure, they are cheaper per upgrade, but they upgrade more often than windows. Windows' service packs are free. In the end, it practically costs the same if you want all the upgrades.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

a lot of his claims only work if we are talking old versions of windows (considering he is so biased he is only comparing the latest Mac OS to Windows Vista of all things...) and the rest is just opinions or just biased criticism. 

I'll give you one thing: Resale value. PC's loose their value waay quicker than Mac's do. That's a thing. But why is that? That is because PC hardware always gets better and that we can have great value for our money while buying a new pc. Mac's don't get outdated that fast but that is because they don't realase that often. And because people can't afford new Mac and buy old Mac's just too have the lifestyle. Everybody can have a PC. Praise the glorious PC Masterrace. 

Basically only 2, 3 and 8 make some sense, otherwise, it's pure bullcrap.

Hmm, well it sounds like a lot of people are saying similar things in the comments of that page. Initially the comments weren't loading and it made me think "Has he just blocked the comments because people weren't agreeing with him?". If this were the case I would've had to call him incredibly immature.

well resale vale is true but thats about it, apple uses custom parts for the most part and all of their macs use laptop parts except the mac pro

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

steaming pile of crap. the whole "os x is more sucure" only less then 8% of people have a mac, so why make a mac virus, make a virus that could effect 92% of the internets...

plus OS X is confusing as crap and it inefficient (im a os x hater look below)

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Its cheaper because there's no software to buy :lol:

Ooohhhhh... Just ask any Mac user they only have:

1. Microsoft Office (did you see that Microsoft :lol:  )

2. Adobe Suite or some part of it.

3. Some 3rd Party app no one has heard of.

4. Browsers. (Free so doesn't count)

That's it pretty much. So yea cheaper to the plethora of options on Windows Computers (note I said Windows not PC because then another PC/Mac designation BS will start up again).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

i find with apple your paying for their amazing customer support. my mac broke and i took it in to a store and they fixed it free of charge and no questions

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Ryan Connolly and his Revision3 show Film Riot but he, not that long ago, moved his whole editing rig from a Mac to a Windows 8-based PC because he stated that he could get much better value for his money by doing so. Now here's someone who has used a Mac for the longest time and decided that he really wanted to make the switch to a PC. He said that he felt it was the best decision that he ever made and really likes Windows 8. I'll try an find the episode of it and then I'll edit this post.

But someone like Ryan who does professional grade filming and editing switching from a Mac to a PC because, and I put it quite simply, he thought it was better. I know that he would've shocked many of his Mac user viewers and possibly got some hate but PCs are better than Macs.

The saying "Once you go Mac you'll never go back" should actually read "Once you switch from Mac you'll never wanna go back". :P

I love how its going on about the cost of OS upgrades. Sure, they are cheaper per upgrade, but they upgrade more often than windows. Windows' service packs are free. In the end, it practically costs the same if you want all the upgrades.

This is an outdated article, OS upgrades for OSX are now free.

1. Microsoft Office (did you see that Microsoft :lol:  )

That's it pretty much. So yea cheaper to the plethora of options on Windows Computers (note I said Windows not PC because then another PC/Mac designation BS will start up again).

and some autodesk, but thats about it

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

i find with apple your paying for their amazing customer support. my mac broke and i took it in to a store and they fixed it free of charge and no questions

Yeah, and that's great. They do have excellent customer support. My parents have recently upgraded their iPhone 4 phones to iPhone 5s' and my mum accidentally dropped hers and cracked then screen within a week of getting it and Apple waved the AU$350+ to fix it and gave her a completely new one. I think a lot of companies could take a leaf out of Apple's customer service and have better customer service for their customers.

This is an outdated article, OS upgrades for OSX are now free.

True, but it was more about whether or not Mac PCs are really cheaper than Windows PCs.

steaming pile of crap. the whole "os x is more sucure" only less then 8% of people have a mac, so why make a mac virus, make a virus that could effect* 92% of the internets...

plus OS X is confusing as crap and it inefficient (im a os x hater look below)

*affect

tumblr_m49ni5Ckjb1qhx5ez.gif

On topic:

I guess from a biased apple fanboy point of view, he's right. :P

Otherwise most of them are BS.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

1) Mac OS X is faster than Microsoft Windows.

SSD vs HDD is a far more credible argument, this is grasping at straws.

2) Cost of Operating System upgrades:

Microsoft is a software company while Apple is hardware. This argument falls flat on its face. When you factor in Linux, this argument has even less weight to support it.

3) Out of the box useful thanks to quality included Software:

Not everyone uses their computer the same way nor care for hipster software like garage band. For many users, a web browser and media player tends to cover the average joe. For gamers and professionals, none of their essential programs will be installed by default anyway. Argument is moot.

4) Lower power consumption:

The level of sheer stupidity on this one. Apple doesn't make their core components, at all. It's the same tech found on standard desktops and laptops. Same Intel chip, same WD hard drive, same Nvidia GPU and so on. Someone can build a monster set up that uses loads of power or they could build a system that sips less power than what Apple brags about.

5) No antivirus purchase needed:

Just search up "Pwn2Own" OS X is easly hackable. So much for your little claim on security. If you want to be uber safer, Linux says hello. Even if you use Windows, no self-respecting PC owner would be caught dead infecting their own system with BS bloatware like Norton. Free alternatives exist and are easy to find.

6) Productivity (time is Money):

No, productivity isn't measured what platform you use, but what program you need. If someone needs software that is Windows only, guess what? They aren't going to diddle around OS X looking for alternatives on OS X. Like wise goes the opposite way if someone needs OS X specific software that isn't on Windows. This list creator..the levels of dumb.

7) Longer lasting:

A machine lasts as long as the owner makes it last. This list creator probably is comparing a 2 grand iMac to a 400 dollar HP.

8) Resale value:

Hipsters. But I'll give you this at least.

9) Low maintenance:

Any machine can be low maintenance after it's initially set up.

10) (practically) Free servicing:

Apple..free..BAHAHAHAHAHAHA mysides.jpg

11) Better commercial Software:

Apple doesn't have Paint Tool SAI.

PS: See 6.

12) Cheaper infrastructure for businesses:

Is that why I see so many Dell boxes still running Windows XP?

1) Mac OS X is faster than Microsoft Windows...

Haha, you must really be a Windows PC Fanboy. Nah, just messing with ya, I loathe the terminology. I agree with a good percentage of what you've said. :D

Haha, you must really be a Windows PC Fanboy. Nah, just messing with ya, I loathe the terminology. I agree with a good percentage of what you've said. :D

I know you jest, but I do have my fair share of Windows headaches as well, but I can't be blind to the truth..plus annoying Apple fanboys makes me giggle on the inside. Looking forward to the latest Mint actually and would love for some of the Windurrs only software I use to be available native instead of having to use WINE...one can dream. :P

I know you jest,

Not quite sure what you mean by "jest". I'm assuming that this is a typo, yes?

but I do have my fair share of Windows headaches as well,

I think any Windows wouldn't deny that they've had their own fair share of headaches, even I have.

but I can't be blind to the truth

And what truth would this be exactly? Sorry, I'm probably a bit slow. :P

..plus annoying Apple fanboys makes me giggle on the inside.

Well a lot of them can be annoying. But there are some people who use both a Mac PC and a Windows PC.

Looking forward to the latest Mint actually and would love for some of the Windurrs only software I use to be available native instead of having to use WINE...one can dream. :P

So, do you use Linux do you? Just curious.

1. Microsoft Office (did you see that Microsoft :lol: )

Matlab, AutoCAD, Maya, Sublime Text, Filemaker, Final Cut, Logic, Capture One, Cubase, Ableton, IntelliJ, Blender, Cinema4D,Modo .... all some 3rd party apps no one has ever heard of ....

There are also absolutely 0 game, expect those I am playing like Diablo 3 and CS:GO ...

1) Mac OS X is faster than Microsoft Windows.

SSD vs HDD is a far more credible argument, this is grasping at straws.

2) Cost of Operating System upgrades:

Microsoft is a software company while Apple is hardware. This argument falls flat on its face. When you factor in Linux, this argument has even less weight to support it.

3) Out of the box useful thanks to quality included Software:

Not everyone uses their computer the same way nor care for hipster software like garage band. For many users, a web browser and media player tends to cover the average joe. For gamers and professionals, none of their essential programs will be installed by default anyway. Argument is moot.

4) Lower power consumption:

The level of sheer stupidity on this one. Apple doesn't make their core components, at all. It's the same tech found on standard desktops and laptops. Same Intel chip, same WD hard drive, same Nvidia GPU and so on. Someone can build a monster set up that uses loads of power or they could build a system that sips less power than what Apple brags about.

5) No antivirus purchase needed:

Just search up "Pwn2Own" OS X is easly hackable. So much for your little claim on security. If you want to be uber safer, Linux says hello. Even if you use Windows, no self-respecting PC owner would be caught dead infecting their own system with BS bloatware like Norton. Free alternatives exist and are easy to find.

6) Productivity (time is Money):

No, productivity isn't measured what platform you use, but what program you need. If someone needs software that is Windows only, guess what? They aren't going to diddle around OS X looking for alternatives on OS X. Like wise goes the opposite way if someone needs OS X specific software that isn't on Windows. This list creator..the levels of dumb.

7) Longer lasting:

A machine lasts as long as the owner makes it last. This list creator probably is comparing a 2 grand iMac to a 400 dollar HP.

8) Resale value:

Hipsters. But I'll give you this at least.

9) Low maintenance:

Any machine can be low maintenance after it's initially set up.

10) (practically) Free servicing:

Apple..free..BAHAHAHAHAHAHA mysides.jpg

11) Better commercial Software:

Fuck you, Apple doesn't have Paint Tool SAI.

12) Cheaper infrastructure for businesses:

Is that why I see so many Dell boxes still running Windows XP?

1) yeah, only that most Macs with HDD are faster than Windows PCs with SSDs ;)

4) OS X has far better power management than Windows. Don't believe it? Look up some Macbook review with batterie runtimes for OS X and Windows for a start.

5) You probably would call Fort Knox an easy target ... There is a reason why there are no viruses for OS X (and no it isn't the lack of potential targets)

6) Have you tried to work on a windows pc, while rendering on all cores?

12) If a company still has "so many Dell boxes still running Windows XP" the CTO should look for an alternative career ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

1) yeah, only that most Macs with HDD are faster than Windows PCs with SSDs ;)

4) OS X has far better power management than Windows. Don't believe it? Look up some Macbook review with batterie runtimes for OS X and Windows for a start.

5) You probably would call Fort Knox an easy target ... There is a reason why there are no viruses for OS X (and no it isn't the lack of potential targets)

6) Have you tried to work on a windows pc, while rendering on all cores?

12) If a company still has "so many Dell boxes still running Windows XP" the CTO should look for an alternative career ...

Do we have an Apple fan here? Just asking. :D