Apple Macs Are Cheaper Than Windows PCs - Really?

Geekazoid
Go to solution Solved by Geekazoid,

PLEASE NOTE: I would appreciate it if you were to not start any debates that could become heated. I believe we can all voice our opinions without starting a fight of any kind. If a heated debate starts to erupt I will have no other choice then to request that this thread be locked. I know you all can discuss the article that I've posted in a mature manner without such a debate starting.

Did we just seriously open this thread again?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Macs (Specificly Mac Pros) are cheaper than their windows counter parts if you use the same hardware. You cannot build the same pc as the mac pro for less money, you just can't. Mac books and the other stuff from apple kind of just sucks for its money.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

No. Just no.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

price/performance in games etc no not really. in editing no not really. apple are great at laptops for on the go work IMO.

Linux PCs get no love?

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Ok, lets read the review shall we...

1) Mac OS X is faster than Microsoft Windows.

I've proven this myself. I've tested and I have been a PC tester professionally for Electronic Arts  :mellow: Nope.avi

I've tested and I have been a PC tester professionally for Electronic Arts

WOW! That is sooooo amazing. :P (JK).

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Apple Makes really fast and powerful computers. The amount of time they put into making there OS work really well with the hardware is unreal the sheer size of most of their laptops and desktops is amazing. The only problem I have with apple is all of there products are really high end when most people who use macs only really web browse and use the webcam every once in a while. All those consumers need are a 500 dollar laptop but instead they're basically being forced to buy a 1.2k laptop just to do the same tasks. So No I don't think a PC is more expensive than a mac. Also this guy is talking out of his ass. I bet he used Windows on a crappy 10 year old computer and just went back to mac.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

-snip-

I think it should be pointed out that there is a difference between criminally illegal and a civil wrong. 

A valid license is a contract (valid underline because I don't fully understand US law, just Australian) between the seller and the licensee. If you breach a term the other party may have be able to terminate, sue for damages or ask for an equitable remedy. Breach of contract is a civil wrong. 

I don't believe it is criminally wrong to breach a commercial license/contract.

This is an interesting question.

First off I'm a lover of PC's, and I don't own a Mac, however there are many appealing features to them.

If I were to ask you to make a PC for High End Video Editing, super professional quality, for editing like holly wood movies, you would end up with a very expensive PC.

A Mac would be a much better and viable option.

Why?

The software that Mac comes with is of amazing quality. The software that you would have to buy for Windows would cost more than the PC you were building most likely.

In fact, anyone doing this sort of thing I would tell to buy a Mac.

However if it were just used for casual browsing, email, documents, I would say get a PC, it will be less expensive and more powerful.

But is it?

How about a Mac Mini? I challenge you to built a PC with Mac Mini specs for $599. Plus the software you would get with a Mac on a PC.

It's not necessarily all about the hardware, think about the software too. And even if not, take a look at Mac Mini.

Remember I'm a PC lover, just trying to make a point though.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

This is an interesting question.

First off I'm a lover of PC's, and I don't own a Mac, however there are many appealing features to them.

If I were to ask you to make a PC for High End Video Editing, super professional quality, for editing like holly wood movies, you would end up with a very expensive PC.

A Mac would be a much better and viable option.

Why?

The software that Mac comes with is of amazing quality. The software that you would have to buy for Windows would cost more than the PC you were building most likely.

In fact, anyone doing this sort of thing I would tell to buy a Mac.

However if it were just used for casual browsing, email, documents, I would say get a PC, it will be less expensive and more powerful.

But is it?

How about a Mac Mini? I challenge you to built a PC with Mac Mini specs for $599. Plus the software you would get with a Mac on a PC.

It's not necessarily all about the hardware, think about the software too. And even if not, take a look at Mac Mini.

Remember I'm a PC lover, just trying to make a point though.

It sounds as though you are saying that PCs are really only suitable for web browsing, emails and documents but there are computers for that kind of thing and their called Chromebooks.

Does that mean then that if I were to have a $2,000 video editing PC that I instead just have a really expensive web browser?

You say you're a PC lover but your comments say otherwise. Don't get me wrong I think Macs are awesome, I even own one myself, but you can't deny that you can get so much more for your money with a PC.

This thread is almost a month old, let's just drop it.

Why?

Why?

Mind reading for a bit.

Euniqe probably feels the Mac V Windows (or MacOS v Windows or Mac V PC or...whatever name you want to call it.) debate has been done to death and in all likelihood this iteration of it will go nowhere.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Why does everyone hate apple?

They tailer there prouducts for a different crowd.......

You see all the pro content creators with macs and programs like fianl cut pro.

Yet, you see gamers on pc.

Apple has a more premium market with mire enthusiasts.

Apple has confrences to honor devs.........windows has .........

Yet i do not own a mac and i own an hp, my sister has a macbook pro that is the base model 13 inch.

Build quality in macs is far better than pricey windows pcs.

In 2011 i bought a dell inspirion 1764 for 999.99. But by the time i bought anti virus and geek squad portectection is was 1399

My sisters macbook was 1299.

Her mac runs silent and hasnt had a problem yet.

Yet, that laptop has a really noisy fan, horrid performance and horrible build quality.

I will never invest in a laptop thats not mac ever

So to wrap this up i dont hate pc and apple. I use my i phone everyday along with my school ipad, yet when i get home i use my pc.

These companies have so much in difference and tailer to two different crowds. Its not worth the time aruging whos better.

Apple- for the content creators

Pc- for everyone else

Thanks

1- What was used to determine it was twice and up to six times faster? We aren't given enough information here, if it was just from his personal experience and overall "feel", then it's safe to disregard this entirely. While Windows IS "slower", I very much doubt it's that much slower with the same hardware. (Then again, Vista isn't known for it's high performances.)

2- Why in the world would you even NEED or WANT to buy an Upgrade to Windows? Unless you got Vista and want to get rid of it, by the time the new OS rolls out, the hardware is outdated. Same thing with Mac PCs, not because you upgrade the shiny software that the hardware suddenly get better, you WILL start noticing slowdowns after a few years, especially in newer apps. The only reason this doesn't apply to Mac, is that you are stuck with the Hardware that Apple is willing to sell you, so if they don't update their hardware in 10 years, you are literally STUCK with the old hardware, so of course Apple won't be releasing a software update that could potentially slow things down on their source of revenue.

3- Yeah, I'm sorry, because EVERYBODY and their dogs just love photo/movie editing, isn't it. Fact is, only a minority does, that they happen to own a Mac is exactly because of Apple's marketing. Also, who said anything about paying, right? ;)

4- This is complete Bull once again... I would love to see a crossfire Mac Pro consume less than 100w. With a Windows PC, you can build a mini ITX PC that barely consume 20W at max load, of course, it won't be anything to call home, but the fact is that you can do it.

5- Again, this is wrong. The main reason there's barely any viruses on Mac, is that the market is too low, not because it's "more secure". You can also do just fine without an Anti Virus on a Windows PC if you know what you're doing. There's also plenty of free anti viruses that work just fine, like Avast.

6- Ah yes, because I spend years of my life manually running anti viruses scans, cleaning the registry and what not... No... No I don't... those runs in the background at the click of a button or a regular interval, never sees them, never affects productivity.

7- For the registry thing, sure, I'll admit that. But the reason you don't buy newer hardware is because you CAN'T buy newer hardward, you don't have that option with a Mac. Also, for the registry, it's nothing a very quick, automated clean up cannot fix.

8- Because there's always idiots out there who fell to Apple's marketing. Otherwise, Hardware wise, it would be worth just as much as a Windows PC.

9- There's plenty of Free alternatives that exists for this. If you buy a new PC in store and not build it yourself, you also have the built-in recovery DVDs that you can burn, with which you can format. If you're going to recover the PC to a prior state, before you had anything installed, might as well Format.

10- Can't say anything on this, I'm guessing you purchased Apple Care or something which is why you get "free" services for a couple years. If you don't live near an Apple Store, then have fun sending your computer by mail to Apple to be serviced, enjoy the weeks of not having a PC.

11- This person never heard of Open Office, Libre Office, etc... Many free softwares are quite high quality.

12- Can't say anything on this, but considering the cost of Macs, even with a lower license cost from Apple, I'm sure it'd be cheaper to build the PCs and Servers yourself. (Wasn't this debunked before? Like how much a school payed to equip itself with Macs and then someone came around and gave a realistic Windows cost that was much cheaper?)

But hey, that's just my 2¢ of it. If you enjoy your Mac, that's fine, but don't go saying it's better than everything out there with such flawed "arguments". There are things that a Mac are better at, sure, but if you start using the Virus card and what not, then you lose any credibility to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Why does everyone hate apple?

--Snip--

Not saying that you're wrong but....

In content creation, what does apple have to offer other than Final Cut Pro? Programs like Adobe premiere (and pretty much all the other adobe programs as well), as well as Avid and Sony Vegas which are all cross platform are quite "good" to say the least.

And as for your laptop, you are dismissing owning another windows laptop because of one bad experience. Your experience came from owning a consumer grade Dell, if you had bought a Lenovo Thinkpad, HP Pro/Elitebook, and Dell Latitude/precision, I can almost guarantee that your experience would have been better. Also a personal pet peeve is the build quality argument, I would argue that a Macbook uses materials that feel quite a bit better than my Thinkpad but my thinkpad still has better build quality because I can have somebody step on it and it wouldn't have any issues after.

"No signature"

Not saying that you're wrong but....

In content creation, what does apple have to offer other than Final Cut Pro? Programs like Adobe premiere (and pretty much all the other adobe programs as well), as well as Avid and Sony Vegas which are all cross platform are quite "good" to say the least.

And as for your laptop, you are dismissing owning another windows laptop because of one bad experience. Your experience came from owning a consumer grade Dell, if you had bought a Lenovo Thinkpad, HP Pro/Elitebook, and Dell Latitude/precision, I can almost guarantee that your experience would have been better. Also a personal pet peeve is the build quality argument, I would argue that a Macbook uses materials that feel quite a bit better than my Thinkpad but my thinkpad still has better build quality because I can have somebody step on it and it wouldn't have any issues after.

I have a think pad from 2006 that still works, it is running linux now. My asus g73 which I have owned for almost 3 and half years worked flawless for 3 yrs, I had to do my first clean os install just recently because some game my daughter was playing on it screwed it up.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

It sounds as though you are saying that PCs are really only suitable for web browsing, emails and documents but there are computers for that kind of thing and their called Chromebooks.

Does that mean then that if I were to have a $2,000 video editing PC that I instead just have a really expensive web browser?

You say you're a PC lover but your comments say otherwise. Don't get me wrong I think Macs are awesome, I even own one myself, but you can't deny that you can get so much more for your money with a PC.

A $2000 PC is a great tool. I'm just trying to make a point that Mac is much more competitive than you would think.

How about games, if you want to play games, I wouldn't tell you to get a Mac, I would for sure tell you to get a Nice PC.

And I disagree you can get more for your money with a PC, look at Mac Mini? Show me a PC build that specs up to a Mac Mini and would have equivalent PC software.

My comments may stay otherwise but I am stating a non-biased opinion towards either.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.