Apple confirms intention to comply with EU USB-C Charging Legislation

AlTech

Summary
Greg Joswiak, the Senior Vice President of Apple Worldwide marketing, in a talk at a conference has confirmed that Apple intends to comply with the recently passed EU legislation forcing Type C charging on phones and other devices.

Joswiak however also mentioned that Apple continues to believe that it was the wrong decision to force USB-C for iPhones and that governments shouldn't decide what charging ports a device does or doesn't have.

There was no mention made of how Apple will comply with the law (e.g. if Apple will make all iPhones use a Type C port or if Apple will only make EU iPhones with the Type C port); only that they do intend to comply with the law.

No timescale for when they will switch iPhone to USB-C was provided but rumours previously speculated that iPhone 15 would launch as the first iPhone with a USB-C port.

Quotes

"Obviously, we'll have to comply," Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Greg Joswiak told attendees at The Wall Street Journal Tech Live conference on Tuesday. He took an air of resignation about it, noting that the company still disagrees with the regulation. "We think the approach would have been better environmentally and better for our customers to not have a government be that prescriptive," he said.

Joswiak didn't clarify whether the company plans to only introduce USB-C iPhones in Europe, where it is required, while still introducing Lightning-equipped phones in the United States, or whether it will offer different versions in different regions.

My thoughts

It's always good news to hear that a company intends to comply with the laws they have to follow. Though the lack of specificity surrounding how they're going to comply is creating a bit more drama in this situation than there needs to be.

I understand why they wouldn't outright say the iPhone will switch to Type C in all regions, since they still need people to buy iPhone 14 units but announcing this could hurt sales, but the move to switch for all countries is the only realistic play for Apple.

Apple splitting up production lines for EU and Non EU iPhones makes no sense, it would cause major confusion to their customers, it might annoy Apple customers in non EU countries,  it could complicate repairs for that iPhone model, and it would lead to a fractured ecosystem for what works on iPhone.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-confirms-it-will-leave-lightning-behind-in-future-iphones/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well, that's interesting. Now the market for lightning to USB-C (For accessories) would probably see a marked increase over the next couple of years.

Also, Hopefully, doesn't spawn another 20 or so pages of ""Discussion"".

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

20 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I'll believe it when I see a type-C iPhone. I figure they'd just go no ports wireless only charging.

Not sure if it made it into the final bill but the draft at least closed that loophole and said that device makers couldn't go portless to circumvent the law.

Hopefully it is in the bill that was passed.

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

....as they should.

Yes, tho some have suggested in a prior Type C legislation news thread that Apple might choose to not sell to EU customers over this.

Intending to comply with this suggests Apple is smart enough to know that compliance is less financially painful than non-compliance.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

24 minutes ago, that_dude said:

USB-C is bad for the enviorment. Think about the billion of apple user now requiring new cables!

Sadly not a /s. Actually apples argument.

The switch from 30-pin to Lightning did create a lot of e-waste... and not from cables, from other accessories.

elephants

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Joswiak however also mentioned that Apple continues to believe that it was the wrong decision to force USB-C for iPhones and that governments shouldn't decide what charging ports a device does or doesn't have.

This statement is factually wrong. Apple can still use a Lightning port, but there needs to be at least one USB-C port for charging.

After they decided to get rid of the SIM-tray and replace it with nothing but empty space, they could easily put a Lightning port there. 🙃

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes, tho some have suggested in a prior Type C legislation news thread that Apple might choose to not sell to EU customers over this.

Which makes them look like petty children.

"You're going to make us not use our proprietary connector and something more universal? Fine im just going to take my toys and leave"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I know I am in the minority but I hate this move. And In hate any connector that puts the most fragile part of the port into the device as opposed to the cable. The USB-C most fragile part of the connection is the center divider in the device, just like how it was on micro USB, the most fragile part of the lightning port is the actual cable end itself. Cables are cheap to replace, ports on phones arent. I get the technological advantage of USB-C but this is counter productive as a way to keep ewaste down IMO.

35 minutes ago, that_dude said:

USB-C is bad for the enviorment. Think about the billion of apple user now requiring new cables!

Sadly not a /s. Actually apples argument.

Except existing iPhone won't magically change to usb c

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

but the move to switch for all countries is the only realistic play for Apple.

Things like the SIM card not being there for the US or for multiple years China having due sim.  

Apple could easily make an alternative USB-C port module that uses the same internal connector so the only difference is the port module and maybe the hole in the case is larger. The EU market is large enough to do this.   

You need to consider the slight extra complexity of having an EU only skew vs the increased repair burdened (during warranty) of people who damage the USB-C port (it is much easier to damage your USB-C port than a lighting port).

57 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I know I am in the minority but I hate this move. And In hate any connector that puts the most fragile part of the port into the device as opposed to the cable. The USB-C most fragile part of the connection is the center divider in the device, just like how it was on micro USB, the most fragile part of the lightning port is the actual cable end itself. Cables are cheap to replace, ports on phones arent. I get the technological advantage of USB-C but this is counter productive as a way to keep ewaste down IMO.

What if Apple made an inverted USB-C cable where the divider is on the cable end like the lightning?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple splitting up production lines for EU and Non EU iPhones makes no sense, it would cause major confusion to their customers, it might annoy Apple customers in non EU countries,  it could complicate repairs for that iPhone model, and it would lead to a fractured ecosystem for what works on iPhone.

Look back to the Nokia N95 to see what will happen if they decide to produce two different models. (hint, people will just import the model they want, regardless if there is a "US" model.)

It's literately not even worth the effort to produce two different models, because what will happen is that the "carrier" models will have whatever the carrier wants/demands (eg lightning or usb-c), and Apple will sell whatever model they want to sell to whatever specific region (note the lack of 5G mmwave on non-US models.)  So if you really want USB-C and it's only on the EEA model phones, and you don't have 5G mmwave anyway, you have nothing to lose by importing an "unlocked" one. It's not like they come with a power brick you'll have to throw away.

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

What if Apple made an inverted USB-C cable where the divider is on the cable end like the lightning?

I would assume that constitutes a new standard, USB-Ɔ anyone?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Cool though. Then again it will be like 18W no.

Apple aside, in general it would be neat that law at least mandated better minimums, not just phyisical connector with slow data speed and charging. Should be a better minimum charging for phones at this point.

Eventually this follows on for laptopa, they can obviously go higher for the required minimums for charging.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Dammit Apple, you should have updated lightning to be competitive, I don't want to have to have a less durable port in my device because you are so unbelievably slow to update from USB 2.0, and to increase charging limits. From either perspective, EU shouldn't have done this, or the EU should have, IT'S APPLE'S FAULT. They weren't competitive. If Lightning was an actual competitor, this discussion wouldn't need to be had. If think different means think worse, I would have purchased a Samsung with an Exynos chip.

They might just start selling $900 lightning ports which come with a free iPhone attached to it.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Cool though. Then again it will be like 18W no.

Apple aside, in general it would be neat that law at least mandated better minimums, not just phyisical connector with slow data speed and charging. Should be a better minimum charging for phones at this point.

Eventually this follows on for laptopa, they can obviously go higher for the required minimums for charging.

Fuck that. Fast charging is worse for batteries than slow charging, 100% of the time.

Despite owning many faster chargers, I use my old 5W charger to charge my iPhone. It only gets plugged in overnight, so who cares how long it takes-- zero benefit to faster charging, but much tradeoff.

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

And In hate any connector that puts the most fragile part of the port into the device as opposed to the cable. The USB-C most fragile part of the connection is the center divider in the device, just like how it was on micro USB,

You should really read articles how USB C came together. This is not a fragile piece of garbage like Micro USB B but a well designed connector which will last years and years to come. USB C is rated for 10,000 cycles and the past five years (are you living in a mountain valley far off civilization?) have shown how robust this connector is. So any "this is more fragile than Lightning" is completely unsubstantiated.

11 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

the most fragile part of the lightning port is the actual cable end itself

No, the most fragile thing are the contact springs inside the port and especially lint and dirt built-up.

Cables are cheap to replace, ports on phones arent.

Ports on good designed phones are easy and cheap to replace as well. You're battery will die before a USB C socket reaches its EOL.

I get the technological advantage of USB-C

It's an overall well engineered connector with a future. Lightning has no future. So switch to a modern connector was imminent and it took honestly way too long. iPads switched a long time ago for a bunch of good reasons.

but this is counter productive as a way to keep ewaste down IMO.

You just said cables are easy and cheap to replace, they have a limited life-span and they are easy to recycle. Instead of getting different cables for each device, now you can use the same cables for them all. That's saving resources in the long term.

10 hours ago, hishnash said:

it is much easier to damage your USB-C port than a lighting port

No, it's not.This is another one of those misconceptions just spread across the internet without any evidence to support this statement.

BTW, if we argue about the connector (both, USB C and Lightning are up to the task and equally durable) and e-waste, why is NOBODY mentioning the sub-standard kink protection that every single Apple cable had for the past decade. THAT's some unnecessary e-waste. I literally lend my Lightning cable to dozens of people with a broken cable. I haven't met anyone with a broken USB C cable so far.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Dammit Apple, you should have updated lightning to be competitive, I don't want to have to have a less durable port in my device because you are so unbelievably slow to update from USB 2.0, and to increase charging limits. From either perspective, EU shouldn't have done this, or the EU should have, IT'S APPLE'S FAULT. They weren't competitive. If Lightning was an actual competitor, this discussion wouldn't need to be had. If think different means think worse, I would have purchased a Samsung with an Exynos chip.

The EU does not care about how fast lightning is at transferring data (nor do 99% of users, for that matter)-- they want plug standard. 

7 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Fuck that. Fast charging is worse for batteries than slow charging, 100% of the time.

Despite owning many faster chargers, I use my old 5W charger to charge my iPhone. It only gets plugged in overnight, so who cares how long it takes-- zero benefit to faster charging, but much tradeoff.

Yeah no, no matter how you charge over number of years battery lose capacity, it's just how it is. It's to do with temps, if a phone is built well to not heat the battery a lot, good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

EU shouldn't have done this, or the EU should have, IT'S APPLE'S FAULT. They weren't competitive. If Lightning was an actual competitor, this discussion wouldn't need to be had. If think different means think worse, I would have purchased a Samsung with an Exynos chip.

But you do know that this regulation does not only apply to Apple? ALL smaller devices will need USB C. Many cheaper devices still use Micro USB B to save 2 cents, it's ridiculous and annoying. It's really short-sighted to think that this regulation was designed around the iPhone.

11 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

This statement is factually wrong.

No, not all devices are subject to the new USB-C charging law.

Smartwatches aren't and so they can continue to use charging cradles because putting a type C port on it wouldn't make sense.

Though I believe the EU is interning to create a law harmonizing charging cradles for Smartwatches and other devices that don't use ports, and harmonizing wireless charging standards.

11 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

21 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah no, no matter how you charge over number of years battery lose capacity, it's just how it is. It's to do with temps, if a phone is built well to not heat the battery a lot, good.

Yes... And faster charge = more heat. Meaning less capacity. The faster charge heats up the charging IC, the battery, and various other components. the 5w charger produces less heat in every component. Meaning the battery lasts longer.