FCC Chairman - I’d Rather Give In To Verizon’s Definition Of Net Neutrality Than Fight

Torand

FCC Chairman: I’d Rather Give In To Verizon’s Definition Of Net Neutrality Than Fight

legotomwheeler.png?w=610&h=256

With every word he writes, recently installed FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler shows he has little interest or belief in net neutrality as most consumers understand it. In another flimsy attempt at defending his position on “fast lanes” — i.e., allowing Internet service providers to charge more to content companies seeking priority access to end-users — Wheeler contends that consumers should do what Verizon and other telecoms want because well, it could take a while to do it correctly.

LET’S JUST GET IT OVER WITH
“The idea of net neutrality (or the Open Internet) has been discussed for a decade with no lasting results,” writes Wheeler in a lengthy blog post. “Today Internet Openness is being decided on an ad hoc basis by big companies. Further delay will only exacerbate this problem.”
Once again, Wheeler completely glosses over the fact that the only reason a federal appeals court gutted the previous neutrality rules was because a shortsighted FCC never thought to categorize Internet service providers as vital communications infrastructure. As numerous supporters of a true net neutrality have repeatedly pointed out, reclassifying ISPs would likely mean the FCC could reinstate the old rules (and possibly more stringent ones) and survive a legal challenge.
But Wheeler doesn’t want to take that chance because he’d rather allow clever lawyers for the telecom industry to dictate the direction of net neutrality than use the clever (but less well-paid) lawyers at the FCC to figure out a solution that doesn’t undercut the entire notion of an open Internet.
He once again points to this so-called “blueprint” that the appeals court laid out in its opinion as a way to “create Open Internet rules that would stick,” without regard to whether or not those rules result in an Internet that is open.

IF YOU CAN’T BEAT ‘EM…
Lawyers for the telecom industry do not look at a court’s ruling and say, “Well, there you go… That’s the final word, I guess. Thank garsh I have this fancy laws degree!” Had Verizon been defeated at the appeals court level, it most certainly would have submitted one heck of a petition to the U.S. Supreme Court — an option that Wheeler did not pursue.
You’d think that, given his previous experience CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association and president of the National Cable Television Association, Wheeler would have some insight at how to beat the telecoms at their own game. But instead he’s fine with letting Verizon win, so long as it results him checking “Do net neutrality thingy” off his to-do list.
“I am concerned that acting in a manner that ignores the Verizon court’s guidance, or opening an entirely new approach, invites delay that could tack on multiple more years before there are Open Internet rules in place,” explains Wheeler, who says his proposal is “an enforceable rule,” which he believes is more important than “continuing the debate over our legal authority that has so far produced nothing of permanence for the Internet.”
Does he not realize that this isn’t giving your kid a dang Ritz cracker to shut him up until you eat dinner at Grandma’s house? These are binding regulations that will be used to set important precedents during a crucial stage in the development of the Internet.

DON’T MAKE ME RECLASSIFY YOU…
Wheeler’s defense does begin to show some cracks, which is a positive sign — and an indicator that concerned consumers should continue to write the FCC to let them know their feelings.
He writes that if his proposal “turns out to be insufficient or if we observe anyone taking advantage of the rule,” he “won’t hesitate” to reclassify ISPs as infrastructure… which only raises the question of why he hesitates to do that now, before the feces hits the fan.
Again, he explains, it’s a matter of being expedient. The FCC can’t use that delight roadmap from the court.

YOU JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND
On the specific issues of fast lanes, Wheeler once more accuses consumers of overreacting and not trusting that a governmental agency run by a former frontman for both the cable and wireless industries has their back.
To show just how awesome his FCC will be at keeping fast lanes from turning standard Internet connections into mud roads in order to squeeze the most money from online content companies, Wheeler outlines the various ways in which the agency will police fast lanes.
Let’s take these on a point-by-point basis…
• “Something that harms consumers is not commercially reasonable. For instance, degrading service in order to create a new ‘fast lane’ would be shut down.”
That’s good to hear, but this statement doesn’t differentiate between degrading service and passive-aggressively not improving service. We don’t expect the Verizons and Comcasts of the world to slow down the current level of service; we just expect they will largely maintain the status quo while charging a premium for even mildly improved access.
• “Something that harms competition is not commercially reasonable. For instance, degrading overall service so as to force consumers and content companies to a higher priced tier would be shut down.”
Again, this statement fails because it doesn’t take into account that a failure to improve service is a de facto degradation.
• “Providing exclusive, prioritized service to an affiliate is not commercially reasonable. For instance, a broadband provider that also owns a sports network should not be able to give a commercial advantage to that network over another competitive sports network wishing to reach viewers over the Internet.”
That sounds nice, Mr. Wheeler, but this doesn’t seem to require the ISP to provide the same level of service or access; merely that it not make that better service exclusive. So if Cable Company X (which is also an ISP) owns an online sports channel that it gives priority access to, Company X need only offer priority access to competing networks; it doesn’t say Company X can’t charge a premium fee for that access.
• “Something that curbs the free exercise of speech and civic engagement is not commercially reasonable. For instance, if the creators of new Internet content or services had to seek permission from ISPs or pay special fees to be seen online such action should be shut down.”
This is really just a restatement of one of the few remaining principles of net neutrality — that ISPs can’t block legal content. What it doesn’t deal with is the increased cost for entry into a market because of fast lane fees.
Say there are three streaming video companies competing — two established services with millions of paying subscribers, and one startup that is showing promise but is still leaning heavily on venture capital funding while gaining its audience. If ISPs start charging fast lane fees, the two established businesses can pay while the startup can not. The quality of its service begins to look poor in comparison to the others and it can’t gain subscribers. Additionally the other two companies increase their rates to offset the cost of the fees; they also no longer have to worry about being undercut by a low-cost competitor.
This isn’t blocking legal content or curbing the free exercise of speech, but it is an example of how fast lanes can limit consumer options and result in decreased competition and higher prices.
On this last issue, Wheeler makes more promises that are reactive instead of proactive.
“If we get to a situation where arrival of the ‘next Google’ or the ‘next Amazon’ is being delayed or deterred, we will act as necessary using the full panoply of our authority,” he writes, again ignoring the fact that he can preempt that concern by not allowing fast lanes in the first place and simply reclassifying ISPs.

A TRUE BELIEVER OR A SPINELESS APPEASER?
Perhaps Wheeler is indeed an idealist and truly believes that ISPs will continue to innovate and improve their networks for everyone at their current rate, and that they will only use fast lane access in the most extreme cases — and never in a discriminatory, anti-competitive, anti-consumer manner.
But the fact that he repeatedly makes statements about not hesitating to reclassify ISPs if necessary seems to indicate that he doesn’t really believe these things; it’s just faster and easier for now to pretend he does.

Multi-sauce, tomato and bbq:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/24cwug/fcc_chairman_id_rather_give_in_to_verizons/

http://consumerist.com/2014/04/30/fcc-chairman-id-rather-give-in-to-verizons-definition-of-net-neutrality-than-fight/

I'm in the UK, but if this is coming in the US, it's only a matter of time, thus why I'm interested. :/

Other than that, I just have no words. It's just so bad.

I mean, from what I understand the FCC is a regulatory body? If so, they are in the control position, there should be no reason that they should be giving in, thus meaning there is foul play at work somewhere.

Now,who's behind him?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm at a loss for words. I just hope someone like Google Fiber gets to where I live, or close enough so i can move, so I do not have to deal with this sort of crap.

I have a strong desire to curse at this present moment. And I usually prefer not to.

I think we should lynch him. Trade archaic thinking with archaic thinking. /joke

Someone start a petition to the White House to have him removed as FCC Chair because he obviously isn't acting with the interests of the people in mind. For those who might say, "but he's trying to make sure it gets done right." that's not how I read this. I read it as, "It would take a long time to get this right, but rather than do that, I'm just going to get it over with and we'll see how that goes." 

Which is utter bull crap. Do it right or don't do it at all. That's not doing your job correctly. Just doing it. 

Now,who's behind him?

His former bosses obviously. 

Prior to working at the FCC, Wheeler worked as a venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry

Conflict of interest if there ever was one. I'm blaming Obama for this, because, ya know, he is the one who appointed him

I didn't vote because both candidates were terrible, but of course we had to get the one who is going to take away what made the internet so great. It's equalizing power to share information openly regardless of where it was going or where it came from. 

The idea that organizations get preferential treatment based on how much they pay is the kind of thing you set up to prepare for controlling who gets to see what (i.e. information control) imo. Slippery slope, yes, but whatever you believe about those, they are sometimes true. 

$10 says that somehow they use this to crush the Tor network and any other "dark net" activities. I'm sure the internet will find a way (they always do), but I mean come on. This reeks of "We are doing this not because it's right, but because we want something you don't want us to have."

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This scares me, Australia usually follows in Americas footsteps when it comes to commercial policy,  we already have two of the major ISP's that also provide cable/satellite t.v.  And I have already had first hand experience with telstra trying to shape data usage based on the traffic type not amount. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Dear Obama, please hire me, I will be your technology and technology infrastructure advisor.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Net neutrality is already messed up here, the one and only isp in the country already prioritizes data types and call it a benefit. They then throttle data types like p2p like mad.

This scares me, Australia usually follows in Americas footsteps when it comes to commercial policy,  we already have two of the major ISP's that also provide cable/satellite t.v.  And I have already had first hand experience with telstra trying to shape data usage based on the traffic type not amount. 

Australia follows the United State's commercial policies? you guys are screwed lol

Over the years I have grown so pessimistic about politics in the United States. Terrible things happen, the people complain, and then more terrible things happen. Can anyone give an example in recent history when American citizens have actually reversed or stopped the almighty dollar from making political decisions? sigh... 

now my head hurts. I need to lie down.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Australia follows the United State's commercial policies? you guys are screwed lol

Over the years I have grown so pessimistic about politics in the United States. Terrible things happen, the people complain, and then more terrible things happen. Can anyone give an example in recent history when American citizens have actually reversed or stopped the almighty dollar from making political decisions? sigh... 

now my head hurts. I need to lie down.

As I have said on so many occasions: things only happen the way they do because someone is making a dollar on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This scares me, Australia usually follows in Americas footsteps when it comes to commercial policy, we already have two of the major ISP's that also provide cable/satellite t.v. And I have already had first hand experience with telstra trying to shape data usage based on the traffic type not amount.

Telstra is the one that would love to bring this into practice. Most Australian ISPs don't give a damn about piracy, let alone this.
Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Telstra is the one that would love to bring this into practice. Most Australian ISPs don't give a damn about piracy, let alone this.

That's because most ISP's only buy and sell data from the tier 1's. with optus being the only other tier 1 provider that also sells cable tv I would think they might be interested too.

Isn't it great? The guy that's supposed to regulate companies says they're big meanies to him in court he rather not do his job than listen to the court's instructions on how to classify them to win the case

-------

Current Rig

-------

Isn't it great? The guy that's supposed to regulate companies says they're big meanies to him in court he rather not do his job than listen to the court's instructions on how to classify them to win the case

the whole thing stinks of being rigged from the onset. I don't think net neutrality had a chance.

This is hardly surprising. Prior to working at the FCC, Wheeler worked as a venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry.

This happens time and time again. Your regulatory bodies are controlled by the industries they're concerned with, and work for them. Not against them.

Edit: oops vitalius beat me to it!

I have a strong desire to curse at this present moment. And I usually prefer not to.

I think we should lynch him. Trade archaic thinking with archaic thinking. /joke

Someone start a petition to the White House to have him removed as FCC Chair because he obviously isn't acting with the interests of the people in mind. For those who might say, "but he's trying to make sure it gets done right." that's not how I read this. I read it as, "It would take a long time to get this right, but rather than do that, I'm just going to get it over with and we'll see how that goes." 

I totally agree. I found these two petitions, one to reclassify ISPs, and the other to maintain net neutrality. Neither one mentions impeaching/firing Tom Wheeler, but I haven't looked on Change.org yet.

EDIT: There's also this: https://www.change.org/petitions/tom-wheeler-save-net-neutrality

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I totally agree. I found these two petitions, one to reclassify isps, and the other to maintain net neutrality. Neither one mentions impeaching/firing Tom Wheeler, but I haven't looked on Change.org yet.

Nice. 

@LinusTech Tweet these. Share them with the other tech affiliates (Paul, Logan, et al.). 

I understand it's just a petition for them to respond to, but hey, we have til May 25th and May 24th respectively to get them to do something. Thanks.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Nice. 

@LinusTech Tweet these. Share them with the other tech affiliates (Paul, Logan, et al.). 

I understand it's just a petition for them to respond to, but hey, we have til May 25th and May 24th respectively to get them to do something. Thanks.

+1

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't forget the fact that Telstra owns most of the lines laid down and refuses to acknowledge that those copper cables are roughly a century old and are degrading exponentially. 

But I have 2 PC's constantly streaming internet TV and I have no hiccups in my internet usage so I'm not too fussed regarding speeds - net neutrality is a different story...

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I wish Wendell (teksyndicate) would be the head of the FCC... or at least president.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Let's all move to Finland!

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Thanks for the petition info, I already sign and promoted :)

Even the youtuber Eli The Computer Guy who is a complete capitalists/industrialist (generally not the most popular opinion) is totally against everything Tom Wheeler is saying. He gives a very good breakdown of the background and dangers if people want to check it out.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

You guys are actually surprised ? this happens all the time, "if you cant beat them, join them", and in washington this literally is true.  a lobbyist  will quit his job and run for the office, when he get the office he will get the task, and will not really enforce anything except what the lobbyiest group want and this is exactly what is happening.

this happens all the time in the FDA and it sucks.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |