Netflix's ad tier will cost $6.99 USD and will launch in November.

17 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

I mean, they can raise prices for just about any reason, but I really don't see the connection between those 2.

I offer you a subscription to anything, for say $10... Later I offer a lower value one for half price ($5). Maybe ten years down the line the packages are $20 and $10 respectively... but I still don't see why one causes an increase in the other. 

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it's such a random assumption that I'd say it's just as likely the ad tier could supplement the higher tier packages, providing new and needed revenue and slow down price increases. There's nothing to base that on either though, so who knows.

It may be the average member here is too young to remember, but the original Netflix subscription cost (when streaming first became available) was 7 USD. So, in a way, this has already happened. (I know, inflation etc)

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Probably because we don't have nearly as much content. 

This was an issue in the early days of Netflix in Canada. I don't find it to be the case anymore. Perhaps if you look at the total number of individual titles we have fewer, but I'm hard pressed to name something big that we can't find here in Canada, that can't be explained away due to licensing issues (ie the usual discrepancies between regions).

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

I don't use Netflix but this is gouging to see how desperate people are. 

Offering a cheaper tier for people is gouging? That's a new one to me.

18 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Everybody is going on like the ads are the main issue.

It's not.

Basic is still limited to 720p (it was 480p so that's an 'upgrade')

This is a HUGE issue. Netflix stuff looks like crap on my TV because all the other streaming services give you 4k Dolby Vision etc. with their basic plan. Netflix paywalls it 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

What quality level is the ad tier? I wouldn't mind if it's the mid tier quality. Actually I'd likely switch if that were the case. I could use the couple of minutes between episodes to grab a drink or stretch. I really hope they're not stupid enough to put the ads in the middle of movies. 4 or 5 ads...or a minute to a minute and a half seems more than fair.

Fun fact. You don't actually HAVE to watch the ad. Reply to emails or something. 

It's 720p. RIP

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

21 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Offering a cheaper tier for people is gouging? That's a new one to me.

In a way yes, literally trying to see to what low end people will bite. On paper is cheaper a bit, yet still bad and adds, quite a meme. And companies wonder why people pirate.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I largely suspect Netflix sees the ad supported plan as just a way to get new people to sign up who might have not considered it previously, with the hope that a high enough portion of people who join the ad supported plan will eventually convert to a regular plan to access the full content Netflix has, higher resolution, more simultaneous streaming devices, or simply just to remove the ads. If they don't find the right balance though, such as if too much content is locked away, there are too many ads, or the video quality is garbage, they might end up driving those potential customers away. There's a lot of choice for streaming services these days.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Canada still has enough content to be ranked #3 for Netflix content though
https://www.finder.com/ca/netflix-canada-vs-world-content

Spoiler

image.png.5120a58cdfb4dc992d2e5b1a52b05bf0.png

I don't think having 149 fewer pieces of content alone explains the lower price.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Correction and update October 13th, 5:20 PM ET: Netflix’s ad tier will include an average of four to five minutes of ads per hour, not four to five ads per hour, as an earlier version of this story misstated.

TV shows are on average 22 to 24 minutes long, which leaves 6 to 8 minutes for ads to fill the entire 30 minutes slot. Which means you get about 12 to 16 minutes of ads per hour.
1/3 of that is good for this price when compared to paying $80 per month for TV services that you don't even watch 90% of the channels on and still get more ads.

I guess it remains to be seen how much content they cut out for the ads supporter tier.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

According to Techdaily, 4 days ago...

So we have 149 fewer content, with all except 1 being tv series... yeah, well worth the cheaper price. 🤣

I'm surprised the number of titles on US and Canadian Netflix is so close, but I'm a bit sceptical of just counting the number of shows/movies to determine parity between different regions. Australian Netflix could have 5500 titles matching US and Canada but if 2000 of them are low budget Indian movies that most people aren't interested in watching then there's still going to be a big disparity in content quality between different regions and people are still going to feel like they're missing out on some of the shows and movies that they do want to watch that other Netflix regions may have access to.

I don't think there's a better way to quickly compare between them, but simply counting the number of titles doesn't tell the full story.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 hours ago, dizmo said:

also likely based on number of people who closed their accounts after the last price hike, there's a ton of collected data on what the average consumer would pay so it's possible we just don't have the same number of people accepting a price hike or feature change as other markets.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

4-5 ads per hour was a mistake by the linked article. It's actually 4-5 minutes of ads per hour, not 4-5 ads. They've since correct the article:

I can't imagine them putting a 10 minute ad block before a movie so I would say it's very likely going to be interrupting content to play shorter ad blocks. It wouldn't surprise me if shorter content like TV shows with 20-30min episodes still get an ad block in the middle of the show with 30-90 seconds worth of ads.

That's still far less than we were getting with cable IIRC. I wouldn't mind that. It's 4 or 5 minutes to go do something else while you wait for it to come on. Let's face it, no one needs to sit for hours in front of content without moving; nor should we be doing that to our bodies.

If I didn't have anything that needed to be done, I'd probably grab some weights and get some reps in or do some crunches.

We don't have to sit and watch the ads.

10 hours ago, HomeBoi said:

So people are okay with paying for Ads, weeeeel hell no. Fuck this and fuck those companies. 

I mean, you're not really paying for ads. The ads are lowering your monthly payment.

It's a fair trade, IMO. Content isn't free, we shouldn't have that thought process.

9 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

This was an issue in the early days of Netflix in Canada. I don't find it to be the case anymore. Perhaps if you look at the total number of individual titles we have fewer, but I'm hard pressed to name something big that we can't find here in Canada, that can't be explained away due to licensing issues (ie the usual discrepancies between regions).

I don't really use it a ton to be honest, but I remember there being a ton of titles that were missing when compared to the US library.

I'd try to compare now but...I haven't the time.

9 hours ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

It's 720p. RIP

Hahaha, oof.

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Canada still has enough content to be ranked #3 for Netflix content though

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5120a58cdfb4dc992d2e5b1a52b05bf0.png

I don't think having 149 fewer pieces of content alone explains the lower price.

TV shows are on average 22 to 24 minutes long, which leaves 6 to 8 minutes for ads to fill the entire 30 minutes slot. Which means you get about 12 to 16 minutes of ads per hour.
1/3 of that is good for this price when compared to paying $80 per month for TV services that you don't even watch 90% of the channels on and still get more ads.

I guess it remains to be seen how much content they cut out for the ads supporter tier.

I mean...having more content doesn't mean it's quality content. IIRC a lot of it is Canadian content, which is....to put it nicely, lacking.

20 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

also likely based on number of people who closed their accounts after the last price hike, there's a ton of collected data on what the average consumer would pay so it's possible we just don't have the same number of people accepting a price hike or feature change as other markets.

Hmmm I never thought of that. Interesting.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

• 2 weeks later...

4-5 minutes per hour is still a far cry from the 25+ minutes an hour I'd get from watching broadcast. I remember when Hulu first launched they had a free tier with a bunch of ads and I was perfectly content watching it because it was revolutionary vs watching 120p anime episodes in 30 parts on YouTube at the library. Although sometimes you lucked out and got 360p in 3 videos.

Now obviously this could create a slippery slope of ever increasing ad space until we're back at broadcast numbers, but we will have to wait and see how this develops. Given the absolutely massive struggle bus many of us are riding, having a slightly lowered tier with a few ads (especially if they play right at the beginning or end of a show/movie to lower viewing disruption) could be a nice time for a bathroom break or snack refill time, but I'm certain people far smarter than myself at Netflix will be watching plenty of data points regarding this program over the coming months.

Still uses a DDR2 laptop

With cable being 15-25 min of ads an hour, and paid hulu ad supported is 10-15min ads per hour (1/3 less adds woooo who even notices that)
4-5 min of ads per hour seems fine?

Rather just split it between free with ads and pay no ads. The middle ground of pay for ads just always sketches me out, but this really is the lesser of evils.

people pay $150+ for cable and see like 20+ mintes of ads per hour... i even seen the same zit commercial 9 times in the one movie i watched...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links