Microsoft Pushing Users To Adopt Windows 8 Over Windows 7

malaki

For all people who are still looking for pre-built PCs with Windows 7 or are buying licenses for your rigs, you will soon be out of luck.

According to the article, Microsoft will end the sale of Windows 7 licenses and retail computers shipping with Windows 7 by the end of October

Check the original down below for all the details

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_pushing_users_adopt_windows_8_over_windows_7_2014

I'm not even that surprised, but I expected it to happen later on, when Windows 8 would actually be more popular.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

hahahahahahahha......no

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

There's only 2 things that i prefer windows 8 for: 

Native ISO mounting (which i haven't used for months)

Removal of the aero desktop window manager. (Games often required it to be disabled it when they ran in the properties for them to work)

Both of those things i can do in windows 7 anyway, and it's almost identical with startIsBack.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Give me some more $40 keys and I'll upgrade

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Well, time to buy up some Windows 7 OEM copies, just in case

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Already bought Win7, not upgrading to something that doesn't work that much better. Might upgrade to Win9 or if 7 loses support.

If there was a deal to upgrade for $20 I would probs do it though.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well yeah, of course they would encourage users to buy Windows 8 instead of 7. Why is that part even news. The title should just be "Microsoft to stop selling copies of Windows 7 in October"

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

So let me get this straight. Microsoft wants to stop the sale of licenses, but still support the OS until 2015-2020(?).

So, if I want to buy a license, since the OS is still supported, but I can't because Microsoft doesn't want to sell me one, then what do I do?

And this is why there is piracy. Cutting off the only legitimate option to obtain this product, what do you expect to happen?

Might as well make it open-source then.

So let me get this straight. Microsoft wants to stop the sale of licenses, but still support the OS until 2015-2020(?).

So, if I want to buy a license, since the OS is still supported, but I can't because Microsoft doesn't want to sell me one, then what do I do?

And this is why there is piracy. Cutting off the only legitimate option to obtain this product, what do you expect to happen?

You go buy Windows 8.1, that's what you do  :P

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Retail stopped last year. Oem sales stop this year. Its nothing new happens with every windows version.

Give me some more $40 keys and I'll upgrade

Same dude im hopeing with 8.2.

Retails can and will stock up so you will be able to get it for quite a while after. Im pretty sure you could get a new xp license until 2-3 years ago.

There's only 2 things that i prefer windows 8 for:

Native ISO mounting (which i haven't used for months)

Removal of the aero desktop window manager. (Games often required it to be disabled it when they ran in the properties for them to work)

Both of those things i can do in windows 7 anyway, and it's almost identical with startIsBack.

The aero desktop interface is still present in win8, and it is a great feature because it moves the rendering of the desktop to the gpu (more so than before) and means that all windows are always rendered, even if they're not in the foreground, improving perceived performance and allowing the window previews that I sometimes find useful.

I do agree that with a start menu 8(.1) is an improvement over 7 though, if you are buying a new license either way.

HTTP/2 203

I think microsoft is just gonna decided against it within the few months leading up to October, too many people still use and like windows 7 to get rid of its sales completely.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

thought i read an artical where by banks would upgrade their WindowsXP ATM' machines to Windows 7 over Windows 8 if they had to, now they haven't really got a choice.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Good thing I just got windows 8.1 pro, I don't think I'll ever move back to windows 7

Indeed. It is amazing! Other than the photo viewer and that somethings use more RAM than they should by default. Once that's fixed then it'll be near perfection.

what?  You make it sound as if they have somehow done the dirty on you pulling a tech product from the shelf almost 7 years after release.

If they don't want to sell it then you don't have the right to own it,  There are many legitimate reasons why MS would want to can sales of Win7.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And they think it will make a difference. People will just stay with whatever they have until W9 comes out and if that isn't any good people will just stick it out or if Linux picks up more people will change over to that.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

And they think it will make a difference. People will just stay with whatever they have until W9 comes out and if that isn't any good people will just stick it out or if Linux picks up more people will change over to that.

not the 29% that are still on xp, they'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

not the 29% that are still on xp, they'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Why. Most of those people I would imagine are old people who don't even know that W7 or W8 even exist. Besides you will be able to buy W7 copes on Ebay for years to come. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Why. Most of those people I would imagine are old people who don't even know that W7 or W8 even exist. Besides you will be able to buy W7 copes on Ebay for years to come. 

Maybe, but a hell of a lot are POS terminals in shopping centers.  I don't know how many ATM's it works out to, but apparently most are still XP.