I think NVIDIA is just miking peoples wallets!

Plermpel

Hi guys,

I bought a 3090 TUF on launch for 1550$ and thought it was expensive back then.

But now in my opinion NVIDIAs pricing is just unreasonable!

They claim that it isn't possible to produce GPUs at that price anymore but considering that

A770s die is abou 400mm² on 6nm TSMC and 4090 is about 600mm² on 4nm TSMC,

that is just bullshit!

Assuming that the overall PCB parts for VRM and so on cost about 100$ more than of a A770

Assuming that the the cooler costs about 50$ more.

Then assuming that they calculate about 30% profit margin.

Not even considered, that Intel is most likeley not selling their GPU with loss.

It would mean that TSMC is charging more than 4 times more for the 4nm node than for the 6nm.

And those are rookie numbers.

I just can't belive that!

The card is 2400€ inculding tax, where I live, that is insane! My used 2015 BMW 5 series allmost fully quipted,

didn't even cost 6 times!

Where will that go? At 2000$, I would have boght the card, but as a quite wealthy elictrical engineer in europe,

I just don't have the money to buy that card, and even if, I don't wan't to.

Is it that future that high end hardware is something like a supercar, that only rhich people can afford.

Are you going to buy the card?

What are you thinking about all that scenario. I just see NVIDIA trying to gain back their stock losses after the crypto crash.

Yea well the die size is not all that's big about the 4090. It has more and faster VRAM, bigger cooler and also Nvidia is trying to make a profit while Intel is likely losing money on the A770.

We are simply in a situation where high-end gaming is a hobby and it has hobby prices. Nvidia knows that. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If gamers stop buying nVidia cards, will they just switch all those orders to data centre and AI/ML cards and make more money?

nvidia does more than buy the parts and put them together, there's so much more to it than the raw material cost. I don't disagree it's quite expensive, but the 4090 is the high high end, it IS intended for those who buy supercars or for businesses.

When the GPU shortage struck, NVIDIA smelled blood in the water. They got a taste of what people are willing to pay for graphics cards now, and despite the shortage finally receding they are hungry for more and are testing to see if we'll take the bait. It's only gonna get worse if we buy those overpriced space heaters they call the 4000 series. 

Don't forget to mark posts as the solution if you're satisfied!

4 minutes ago, Kopaka said:

nvidia does more than buy the parts and put them together, there's so much more to it than the raw material cost. I don't disagree it's quite expensive, but the 4090 is the high high end, it IS intended for those who buy supercars or for businesses.

People keep forgetting that Nvidia Titan V and Titan Z went for 3000$, now that they changed the titan line into the 90 line and halved the price suddenly there is a problem.

The matter of fact is that a 3070 is more than enough for gaming already, even at 4k, so anything higher than is a luxury.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

13 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Hi guys,

They claim that it isn't possible to produce GPUs at that price anymore but considering that

that is just bullshit!

Assuming that the overall PCB parts for VRM and so on cost about 100$ more than of a A770

Not even considered, that Intel is most likeley not selling their GPU with loss.

It would mean that TSMC is charging more than 4 times more for the 4nm node than for the 6nm.

The card is 2400€ inculding tax, where I live, that is insane! My used 2015 BMW 5 series allmost fully quipted,

Where will that go? At 2000$, I would have boght the card, but as a quite wealthy elictrical engineer in europe,

Is it that future that high end hardware is something like a supercar, that only rhich people can afford.

What are you thinking about all that scenario. I just see NVIDIA trying to gain back their stock losses after the crypto crash.

Sweet another misinformed thread about the 4090.  Price per frame is actually less than previous gens.  Yes, it's expensive, but you're getting MUCH MORE than the 3xxxx or 2xxx series gave you.  If you want to be angry, be mad at Nvidia for the last 3 years, not the 4090.

"The card is 2400€ inculding tax, where I live, that is insane! My used 2015 BMW 5 series allmost fully quipted,

didn't even cost 6 times!"

WTF does this even mean?   5 series BMW used to mean a sophisticated driver.  Guess not anymore 😞

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

You dont do 60+% profit margin if there is competition. AMD profits from this too and the idiots in charge of regulating should open up patents to bring in competition.

10 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

"The card is 2400€ inculding tax, where I live, that is insane! My used 2015 BMW 5 series allmost fully quipted,

didn't even cost 6 times!"

WTF does this even mean?  

It means I bought a 280bhp BMW 5 Series last year, with glas roof, all leather, M package inside and outside and it was 14000€.

Look I understand that the performace leap is enourmos, and the price/performance ratio is still somewhat OK, but it never happened until now, that they just ignore the past, it is as if the 4000 Series  just is a 3095 and a 3095Ti, usually you get a better GPU for about the same price as the last.

I mean good for them, that they managed to leap the performance that much but it's still just unreasonalbe.

Of course they are. They want to make as much money as possible. They saw how much people were willing to spend to get a GPU from a scalper during the shortages, it was only natural they would see if they could get people to spend that much to get a card directly from them.

Don't like it, don't buy. That's the only way they'll change. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

When people bought whatever Nvidia charged during the shortages and crypto boom, of course they're going to charge whatever they want.

Also  Nvidia is making 50% to 60% profit margins,it seems like EVGA got out at the right time as Nvidia is undercutting the AIB's and some AIB cards are going for over $2,000 usd.

17 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

People keep forgetting that Nvidia Titan V and Titan Z went for 3000$, now that they changed the titan line into the 90 line and halved the price suddenly there is a problem.

The matter of fact is that a 3070 is more than enough for gaming already, even at 4k, so anything higher than is a luxury.

It is a problem because the top tier consumer card used to be a 80Ti card for around $1000-1200, now the top tier card is at least $1600, closer to $2000. Now the true 80 tier card is over $1000, its a problem when there isn't any competition and Nvidia keeps moving products up the stack yet people keeping paying at ridiculous prices.

I also doubt a 3070 is capable of any decent framerates at 4k, its a 1440p card at best, especially with newer titles using more VRAM.

35 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

I find it hilarious that i've been bitching about this since 20 series, and people are still only suspecting whats up

Fuck the fucking greedy corporations. If AMD or Intel was on top, they'd be pulling the same shit. 
We should tear them into a billion small companies ffs
What is this motherfucking corporatocracy dystopia bullshit

huh? A billion small companies that do what? Please enlighten me, I'm genuinely curious.

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170 G1 GamingCPU: i7 6700k-GPU:ZOTAC 1070 AMP! EDITION-PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750 80G RAM: 16GB G. SKILLS RIPJAWS Z 2100STORAGE: 500gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD; WD BLACK 1TB- CPU COOLER: BE QUIET DARK ROCK  PRO 3 190W TDP.

It's up in the "no one competes with them" territory, so no surprise here. At least they didnt try to pull an R9 Fury, essentially trying to upsell their R9 290 replacement for $1000 just like the Nvidia GTX Titan (Kepler) when the GTX Titan came first and perform similarly.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You assume alot but you have no inside information.  Ofcouse they ask alot more as Intel who has to get people to buy their product and build their name.

Dont tell Intel is great with market value per dollar on the CPU market.  Now ofcourse you pay for the guarantee and the early adopting for the newest products. Also in todays world everything is more expensive as lets say a year ago.  We all know they try to make alot of money thats nothing new. But if you want the best stuff you pay top dollar. A Ferrari or Lamborghini isnt that % per dollar much more expensive to build either. But its the name and the result you choose to pick one.

1 hour ago, Plermpel said:

Hi guys,

that is just bullshit!

They will lower the price if they don't sell enough of them, which if I had to guess they will so it's kind of moot. The two 4080's might see prices drop quite quickly however

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

If you can't pay to play at the top end, don't look at the top end. It's not there for the very day user, it's there for those who want the best of the best. Tons of people can afford this class of card; I know a dentist who just put in an order for 4 of them. I have friends who have already said they'll be buying them. The price, honestly, isn't that insane, especially when you compare it to other hobbies; almost all of the mountain bikes I've bought over the past decade have been in excess of $8,000, for instance.

As the hobby becomes more popular, there will be a larger pool of people with deep pockets, and those people will get the top end hardware.

This shouldn't surprise you.

Guessing costing is a pointless endeavour and doesn't include R&D costs. A product is not simply the BOM cost.

If you don't want it, why are you bitching about it?

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

If gamers stop buying nVidia cards, will they just switch all those orders to data centre and AI/ML cards and make more money?

Doubtful. You'll never get the entire community to stop buying NVidia cards, so it's kind of a moot point.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Exactly this.

Though I'd even go as far as saying gaming as a whole is a luxury. You don't need a gaming computer. IMO if you're on a super strict budget you should be buying a console 🤷‍♂️ Or nothing at all and spending money on improving your life situation, but people get butthurt when I say logical things like that.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

You dont do 60+% profit margin if there is competition. AMD profits from this too and the idiots in charge of regulating should open up patents to bring in competition.

It's not so much that no one can come into the market, it's the cost involved is so high and the profits take ages to recoup, so it just doesn't make a ton of business sense. It doesn't have anything to do with regulation, nor should it.

53 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

It means I bought a 280bhp BMW 5 Series last year, with glas roof, all leather, M package inside and outside and it was 14000€.

Look I understand that the performace leap is enourmos, and the price/performance ratio is still somewhat OK, but it never happened until now, that they just ignore the past, it is as if the 4000 Series  just is a 3095 and a 3095Ti, usually you get a better GPU for about the same price as the last.

I mean good for them, that they managed to leap the performance that much but it's still just unreasonalbe.

He was implying that it's not at all comparable and was a pointless attempt at a flex.

Not sure if you've actually watched any of the reviews, but this is one of the largest performance gains we've ever seen.

53 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Of course they are. They want to make as much money as possible. They saw how much people were willing to spend to get a GPU from a scalper during the shortages, it was only natural they would see if they could get people to spend that much to get a card directly from them.

Don't like it, don't buy. That's the only way they'll change. 

I'd note though that not buying it and hoping it'll change is a really poor way to look at things, because it won't have enough sway to make any kind of real change and you'll be left angry and frustrated. It's far better to just accept that prices are going up, and either buy used hardware at lower prices, or suck it up and pay a little more for the hobby you enjoy.

44 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It is a problem because the top tier consumer card used to be a 80Ti card for around $1000-1200, now the top tier card is at least $1600, closer to $2000. Now the true 80 tier card is over $1000, its a problem when there isn't any competition and Nvidia keeps moving products up the stack yet people keeping paying at ridiculous prices.

I also doubt a 3070 is capable of any decent framerates at 4k, its a 1440p card at best, especially with newer titles using more VRAM.

There is competition though. Still doesn't change things. It'll be interesting to see how AMD positions their cards. I imagine they'll be right up there with Nvidia.

IMO the prices aren't that ridiculous. If a full build of an insane top tier computer is only $5,000, you're still getting a killer deal compared to tons of other hobbies.

With an average FPS of 74 at 4k (albeit mostly because of some high performing outliers), the 3070 is very 4k capable. The 4070 will be truly interesting.

6 minutes ago, SinistralFern23 said:

NVidia is screwing everyone over with the 4000 series. No one should buy them.

Uh, no, they're really not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not so much that no one can come into the market, it's the cost involved is so high and the profits take ages to recoup, so it just doesn't make a ton of business sense. It doesn't have anything to do with regulation, nor should it.

Its pretty much only about that. You have to do like 100x the work to circumvent patents.

All of you do realize that a business's first priority, especially one that is publicly traded, is to make money so that share holders see a return on investment, right? How much money they make is completely determined by the consumer and their spending habits.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

39 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Doubtful. You'll never get the entire community to stop buying NVidia cards, so it's kind of a moot point.

The entire community doesn't need to stop buying from a certain company, just a critical mass to decline revenue below cost to develop and manufacture.

There isn't enough buyers of top tier cards to justify the development if all low and middle tier GPUs disappear.

13 minutes ago, MadPistol said:

All of you do realize that a business's first priority, especially one that is publicly traded, is to make money so that share holders see a return on investment, right? How much money they make is completely determined by the consumer and their spending habits.

Shhhh child. This forum doesn't like to hear logic.

3 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

The entire community doesn't need to stop buying from a certain company, just a critical mass to decline revenue below cost to develop and manufacture.

There isn't enough buyers of top tier cards to justify the development if all low and middle tier GPUs disappear.

I know. There still aren't enough people that would be willing to do that to cause a change. There will always been enough that will pay the price for the utmost performance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

Voting with your wallet and not buying the top tier would be nice, but doesn't work as theres always people with more money than sense, or have to impress others by buying the latest shiny new thing.

And Nvidia has been milking the market since at least the 20 series with price hikes and the RTX tax, also with the top tier usually being derived from a compute or workstation card, it doesn't cost Nvidia much to change it into a gaming card.  Also considering Nvidia makes most of their profits on compute and AI, gaming is a business they can keep milking rich gamers that don't care about paying over $1000 for a graphics card.

59 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Exactly this.

Though I'd even go as far as saying gaming as a whole is a luxury. You don't need a gaming computer. IMO if you're on a super strict budget you should be buying a console 🤷‍♂️ Or nothing at all and spending money on improving your life situation, but people get butthurt when I say logical things like that

Gaming is a luxury, but hasn't been a rich persons luxury until recently with Nvidia increasing prices significantly since the RTX 20 series, the 2080Ti launched at $1200 and people thought it was ridiculously expensive, now people have been accustomed to paying a ton of money for a graphics card.

There is competition though. Still doesn't change things. It'll be interesting to see how AMD positions their cards. I imagine they'll be right up there with Nvidia.

There isn't any competition at the upper end, even if there were people would still buy Nvidia because of the marketing tactics.

And I would expect AMD to price their cards like how they did with the RX6000 series, slightly less, but better rasterization performance per dollar, and less power consumption.

IMO the prices aren't that ridiculous. If a full build of an insane top tier computer is only $5,000, you're still getting a killer deal compared to tons of other hobbies.

The prices are ridiculous if you compare them to the RTX 30 series, or go back and compare them to even what the RTX 20 series were selling for, and those cards were much more expensive than the GTX 10 series.

With an average FPS of 74 at 4k (albeit mostly because of some high performing outliers), the 3070 is very 4k capable. The 4070 will be truly interesting.

So playable at 4k 60fps, that wouldn't be acceptable for most people wanting to play at 4k, perhaps for people gaming on a TV at 60Hz, but anyone buying a 4k 144Hz monitor isn't going to be using a 3070.

What 4070, the 4080 12GB Nvidia wants to call an 80 tier card, or the 4070? I don't have any expectations for the 4070, given the 4080 12GB is very cut down from the 4080 16GB, and I wouldn't expect a 4070 outperform a 3080 Ti. Nvidia is screwing over the midrange market to make the 4090 look cheaper.