LTT Official Folding Month V (2022)

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,
52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just working on the blog post now, probably will be up within the hour 

It is here, just in time! 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Going to give it a go for the first time in many years. I did this on and off for team [H] about a decade ago it feels like but have been out of it since then. 

5800x/RX6600

7900x/3090

I'm opening the windows and relying on PC's for heat, lets go!

happy to have you on board! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

32 minutes ago, Struck said:

I really want to join this year too, Will be my fourth year in a row, 5 if i count 2018 where I entered too late to get the badge, but participated anyway.

However I don't know if i can fulfill the requirements due to very high electricity costs in Europe this winter.
But I will see if I can get something up and running, and really hope to complete this event too.

Yeah the 20 days is a real ask given there is a minimum point and WU anyway, would require a fair bit of nannying to try to hit the minimum without doing a lot more.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah the 20 days is a real ask given there is a minimum point and WU anyway, would require a fair bit of nannying to try to hit the minimum without doing a lot more.

These are the same requirements we have had for the last 3 years. The day minimum is there so we can have a low point requirement. Otherwise we should have to require many more points to ensure people are folding for a significant portion of the event. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

These are the same requirements we have had for the last 3 years. The day minimum is there so we can have a low point requirement. Otherwise we should have to require many more points to ensure people are folding for a significant portion of the event. 

I understand that, but as you know its a much bigger barrier to entry this year, at least in Europe.  Not necessarily saying it makes sense to change requirements, it just makes this year much more practical in the US/Canada than elsewhere.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I understand that, but as you know its a much bigger barrier to entry this year, at least in Europe.  Not necessarily saying it makes sense to change requirements, it just makes this year much more practical in the US/Canada than elsewhere.

Unfortunately that is just the way it works out sometimes I guess 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

42 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

In a lot of places in the US/Canada, rates are also going through the roof for the winter.  Unfortunately, a lot of the electric grid in North America is powered by natural gas, just like home heating is, and several refineries and other infrastructure have been flat out and are currently overdue for maintenance down time (or were swept up with hurricane issues), so either they'll risk it or shut down for a bit just as we enter winter and further hamper supply.  The US is also trying to export as much as possible to Europe, which is one of the reasons we're in this situation.  So while it sucks, don't think you're in it alone.  Since this time last year here, electric rates are almost 4x what they were, with another expected doubling as we go into this winter.

Too bad the ARC drivers on linux aren't in any usable manner.  Especially with the AV1 bits, the cheapness of the cards would make it well worth it to play with for folding and as a media encoder/decoder in a media box.  It does, however, make it even more likely that folks like @GOTSpectrumwho do streaming on Windows should look at getting one.

Hmm... shouldn't the ARC make it into the GPU.txt first?

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

3 hours ago, Struck said:

However I don't know if i can fulfill the requirements due to very high electricity costs in Europe this winter.
But I will see if I can get something up and running, and really hope to complete this event too.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I understand the frustration due to the current climate we are in, but I think the current minimum participation requirements for prizes is fair.

I believe anyone using equipment released in the last 10 years shouldn't have any serious issues hitting the minimum point and WU requirements, if you have problems then there are people around willing to help out 👍.

As for the "20 Days activity" I would like to have some clarification. @GOTSpectrum

Does this mean points need to submitted on a minimum of 20 days or can a WU span multiple days with points only being submitted on the day of completion, but the days working on the WU are also counted?

I'm guessing that points need to submitted on a minimum of 20 days.

@Alex Atkin UK

I recommend you first make sure you hit the 500,000 point mark using a gpu if possible, from this point on you can switch to cpu only folding until you hit the 20 days and 40 WU threshold. 

Gen 3 Ryzens are able to complete 2 or 3 WU a day even when only using 2-4 cores, even old cpu's going back many years should be able to submit a WU a day.

What hardware are you running?

32 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

As for the "20 Days activity" I would like to have some clarification. @GOTSpectrum

Does this mean points need to submitted on a minimum of 20 days or can a WU span multiple days with points only being submitted on the day of completion, but the days working on the WU are also counted?

see the OP 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:54 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

30 minutes ago, Shlouski said:
Spoiler

I understand the frustration due to the current climate we are in, but I think the current minimum participation requirements for prizes is fair.

I believe anyone using equipment released in the last 10 years shouldn't have any serious issues hitting the minimum point and WU requirements, if you have problems then there are people around willing to help out 👍.

@Alex Atkin UK

I recommend you first make sure you hit the 500,000 point mark using a gpu if possible, from this point on you can switch to cpu only folding until you hit the 20 days and 40 WU threshold. 

Gen 3 Ryzens are able to complete 2 or 3 WU a day even when only using 2-4 cores, even old cpu's going back many years should be able to submit a WU a day.

What hardware are you running?

It has always been 20 days (as in the 24 hour period using the event clock) of submissions.  So if you take 2 days for a WU, that's still only 1 day on submission.  I've always been a CPU folder, so I'm surprised when even with old hardware I don't have several per day, except for the occasional 2 day WU.  To mitigate that, I just run 2 folding sets, so on a theoretical 6 core cpu, I'd run a 2 core and a 4 core folding slot.  This made sure I never had problems and made it easy to "finish" either slot, depending on expected usage for the next day.

57 minutes ago, justpoet said:

It has always been 20 days (as in the 24 hour period using the event clock) of submissions.  So if you take 2 days for a WU, that's still only 1 day on submission.  I've always been a CPU folder, so I'm surprised when even with old hardware I don't have several per day, except for the occasional 2 day WU.  To mitigate that, I just run 2 folding sets, so on a theoretical 6 core cpu, I'd run a 2 core and a 4 core folding slot.  This made sure I never had problems and made it easy to "finish" either slot, depending on expected usage for the next day.

I have to admit, I'm seeing 1-2 WUs/day even on a GTX 1650.

The Mac-Mini is only taking around 4 hours per WU for CPU jobs with around 100K PPD and I'm guessing that's something like 30W?  With the right hardware its not particularly expensive to qualify.

Needless to say it wasn't my participation I was talking about, just sympathising with people who haven't stocked up with top-end hardware over the last couple of years, plus the temptation to do more if you can given this is not just about the competition but helping medical science.

I'm.. quite new after not looking at this stuff for years. Talking about WU's, where are you getting that information? 

I started up one machine a 5800x/RX6600 and the 5800x says estimated 443563 while the RX6600 says 1447114. Are WU's a day something I should be able to calculate? 

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'm.. quite new after not looking at this stuff for years. Talking about WU's, where are you getting that information? 

I started up one machine a 5800x/RX6600 and the 5800x says estimated 443563 while the RX6600 says 1447114. Are WU's a day something I should be able to calculate? 

you can use the advanced viewer to see some information but I would recommend the chrome extension made by @LAR_Systems

https://folding.lar.systems/#get_FITDAT

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

WUs are work units, basically jobs.  You can estimate based on how long a job is going to take though most of us use Extreme Overclocking to get a summary.

18 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

you can use the advanced viewer to see some information but I would recommend the chrome extension made by @LAR_Systems

https://folding.lar.systems/#get_FITDAT

Awesome, thank you. Seems to work on one PC but not the other though I think its a Chrome issue, just keeps loading the default web control pag.  I'll work it out.

30 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I have to admit, I'm seeing 1-2 WUs/day even on a GTX 1650.

The Mac-Mini is only taking around 4 hours per WU for CPU jobs with around 100K PPD and I'm guessing that's something like 30W?  With the right hardware its not particularly expensive to qualify.

Needless to say it wasn't my participation I was talking about, just sympathising with people who haven't stocked up with top-end hardware over the last couple of years, plus the temptation to do more if you can given this is not just about the competition but helping medical science.

@GuiltySpark_

On an RX 480 I'm getting ~2 a day and then add the 2600X in there with about 1.7/day and I don't have any issues getting in the 1/day requirement. A 6600xt and 5800X should get probably 50% more WU/day than my rig.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Awesome, thank you. Seems to work on one PC but not the other though I think its a Chrome issue, just keeps loading the default web control pag.  I'll work it out.

Head into the extension manager and make sure it's enabled. Happened to me the first time.

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Head into the extension manager and make sure it's enabled. Happened to me the first time.

Two machines next to eachother syncing Chrome settings so the PC I installed the extension on didn't work but the other machine that got the extension through Chrome sync did. I had to enable some site access flags in the config like you said and its all good, thanks!

43 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

just sympathising with people who haven't stocked up with top-end hardware over the last couple of years

I think your exaggerating just a little bit here 😉.

45 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

given this is not just about the competition but helping medical science.

IMO it's an event and not so much a competition, but there's no harm in a bit of friendly back and forth 🙂.

I'll be running my rig in the UK, and yeah its going to cost a bit, but I'll use it as the only heating source for me in my office during the day (with wife at work and kids at school who needs heating?) and i'll be lowering the power target and undervolting where possible to get as many points for as little power as possible.

I wish they had folding working properly on mobile devices - I have so many old phones from the past 4/5 years that together could probably get some points 🙂 

Darn, Hardware Unboxed showing the 4090 Founders Edition working fine on an 850W PSU (at 450W power limit) and using half the power of the 3090 Ti when capped to the same workload, though granted that's just one game example and .  I'd already read reports that it doesn't have the power spikes of the 30x0 series.

17 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Darn, Hardware Unboxed showing the 4090 Founders Edition using half the power of the 3090 Ti when capped to the same workload, though granted that's just one game example and working fine on 850W PSU.  I'd already read reports that it doesn't have the power spikes of the 30x0 series.

Have you seen Der8auers video, he goes into detail about the power curve? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

20 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Have you seen Der8auers video, he goes into detail about the power curve? 

Interesting, so its most efficient around at 50% and barely perceptible difference at 70%.  Bet those 600W OC cards are stupidly inefficient then.

Part of me wants to wait and see how the 4080 compares, the rest of me thinks "I need this".  Its going to use less power than the 3080, way less in games that are almost hitting the FPS limit of my TV already.