Steam logo guidelines update (no ads/reviews)

Summary

Steam no longer allowed "irrelevant" info in your logo pictures. IE "10/10 IGN" and "included for the steam summer sale!" "40% off"

Update titles okay "Linus Simulator!

nose picking update July 2022"

Quotes

HELLO DEVELOPERS,
Announcing New Rules For Graphical Assets
We want to make sure our guidelines are as clear as possible around what should and shouldn't be presented on graphical assets, so today we're introducing a new set of rules that will go into effect Sept 1.

In brief, your store and library capsules should not include any text or logos aside from your official game logo, title, and subtitle. You may include text about big updates or events as long as you use Artwork Overrides to do so, and localize the text.

Examples from article 

image.png.0f154704329f9384676aea428a352fc8.png

image.png.22c74b89511467b12ecc0db86ba39c90.png

My thoughts

Pretty cool that unfair advertising is being combated. Logos should be logos. I didn't really see it as a problem but numbers are definitely a way to psychologically influence purchasing of a product unfairly. 

Not to say I was going to buy guitar billionaire anyway, but... Small claims court having UP TO 90% off is pretty enticing. 

Nah but really, showing your game is getting new stuff is probably "healthier" like the bass ain't biting update thing. Either way you have "unfair" advertising. Business is tough, so if course everyone took the advantages they could

Sources

Private b2b Email from steam and linked article from email:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/6232436041608114694

They used the artwork from the Steam summer sale minigame, which is better then using any real life examples. I wonder if they used their minigame as research material for how these extra text effect how findable games are.

Makes sense cause those aren't logos the but adverts.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

10/10 IGN rated comment

you sure its not 7/10?

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

IGN gives scores that low?

If it's that IGN Reviewer that gave Prey a 4.0

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

IGN gives scores that low?

Only when the person wants to get fired 😛

good, those award things look fucking terrible for the game banner.

i just wanna see the game logo, not a bloody review score from George Wood.

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
added a link to info about george because no-one knows who he is.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

7 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

you sure its not 7/10?

5/7, a perfect score

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

5/7, a perfect score

7/11. 

Bester score. 

Eh, I didn't mind the review scores. A game that aggressively hides behind its score already seems like it preemptively tries to telegraph its underwhelming experience. I remember when the GOTY of Akrham City had that cover plastered with its perfect review scores.

image.jpeg.cb4a124c426bfdef4c68411e5b51196b.jpeg

Professional game reviewers tend to trip over themselves to give big releases tongue baths and the actual game is at best a worse version of Arkham Asylum, but now with shitty time wasting open world shenanigans. And it's not like Arkham Asylum was the pinnacle of game design already, it was a mid-tier game at best.

So yeah, whenever I see a game hide behind its metacritic scores or an award from some indie game festival I'm more wary than if it'd just had the confidence to let the game speak for itself. So for me this is a downgrade to knowing which games to avoid.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

22 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Eh, I didn't mind the review scores. A game that aggressively hides behind its score already seems like it preemptively tries to telegraph its underwhelming experience. I remember when the GOTY of Akrham City had that cover plastered with its perfect review scores.

image.jpeg.cb4a124c426bfdef4c68411e5b51196b.jpeg

Professional game reviewers tend to trip over themselves to give big releases tongue baths and the actual game is at best a worse version of Arkham Asylum, but now with shitty time wasting open world shenanigans. And it's not like Arkham Asylum was the pinnacle of game design already, it was a mid-tier game at best.

So yeah, whenever I see a game hide behind its metacritic scores or an award from some indie game festival I'm more wary than if it'd just had the confidence to let the game speak for itself. So for me this is a downgrade to knowing which games to avoid.

Game of the year editions in stores are different, but whose game of the year is it? 

Virtual games can't have game of the year editions because you're not getting a collector item. 

But goty editions have to come out the year after it's released, so... Bit daft to make that edition these days. Inb4 small media outlet gives goty and they plaster that a week after launch

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Game of the year editions in stores are different, but whose game of the year is it? 

Virtual games can't have game of the year editions because you're not getting a collector item. 

But goty editions have to come out the year after it's released, so... Bit daft to make that edition these days. Inb4 small media outlet gives goty and they plaster that a week after launch

"Game of the year" has long ceased to mean anything other than "Here's the complete game with all the DLC included". That's how its treated by gamers when they say "I'll wait for the GOTY", not for some collector's item.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Nice to see, more so on the "up to 90%" that can be misleading or for a ingame microtransaction store.

But it can also be nice to know about some deals/sales, that is correctly stated. As some DLC's or assets can be hard to know what you buy, like the worst offenders for buying a season of DLC/"future DLC", or if creating a new season with the rest of the DLC anyways.