You’re cooling your PC wrong.

AlexTheGreatish

You can probably grow some nice tomatoes if your case is obnoxiously bright with leds and might as well add carbon filters to the fans and get rid of the smell too. That being said, these types of grow tents are great way to get your house searched by the cops in most parts of the world.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

16 minutes ago, Levent said:

these types of grow tents are great way to get your house searched by the cops in most parts of the world

Lemme guess, weed growing concerns or something?

Well, can always swap the RGB led strips with a Grow Light strip for max growing efficiency.
The exhaust will be the jank air circulator.
The heat can be the jank heat mat for seed starting.

or go custom loop with multiple filter system to make a hydroponic I guess.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

this was a confusing video, you buy a grow tent for $70 then add a $150-300 duct fan, $80 worth of insulated ducting, and custom acrylic window insert to do the same function as cutting a side out of your case's retail box and placing it against an open window, probably cut an intake. (or buy a $10 moving box and cut to shape) Even crafting some ducting up to the window and adding another case fan instead of a duct fan would be cheaper than the mis-sized grow box alone.

you want to go fancy? get some insulation foam for $30 for a 4x8 and craft it out of that.

nice to see the shop being used though so good video for that aspect.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

To be fair. I would have used some cardboard and made an extension to the back of the case, and added a hole for the duct there.

Another "solution" is to just redo whole room water cooling, but for the individual system. Ie, have an external radiator out doors. Heat exchange with the warm air outside might be a bit worse, but having two (or more) radiators in parallel (less flow resistance for the pump) should be enough to get the water temp closer to the outdoor air temperature.

Yet one more idea is to do like Linus and simply place the PC in a completely different room all together.

Though, personally I haven't cared about peak performance that much, so been looking at lower power options on the market instead.

wouldn't this have the same problem as those portable AC's with one hose? in that it'll create negative pressure that'll cause warm air to come into your appartment and heat it up?

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

wouldn't this have the same problem as those portable AC's with one hose? in that it'll create negative pressure that'll cause warm air to come into your appartment and heat it up?

yes. so either you have central air and it would increase your cooling bill, or you don't and it will heat the rest of your house/apartment up faster. the only way this seems worth is if your landlord pays the cooling bill and you don't care and want to stick it to them.

the best solution is just leaving the door open.

Here in good old Europe the Engery Price goes up by 200% - 500% so just run the Fan make you poor.

From AT. :x

I have a simpler way: 6" duct has a diameter of about the perimeter of 7 PCI-E back slots, so I bent it to fit and it stays on it's own! Made small holes for the screen's cables and in winter I point the exhaust to my feet, but on summer it goes out the window.

I do mine on dual Vega 56's with a blower style cooler so all the heat comes from the back.
Same approach for my grow tent ;)

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 18.33.30 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 18.33.30 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 18.33.30.jpeg

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

Found a pic of the summer setup, having window blinds help a lot! and I can cover the duct with the curtain so it looks clean AF

IMG_20211029_140046855.jpg

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

14 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Think I much prefer linus's approach with a remote PC set up. As it leaves more room, in the room you're gaming in.

However I'd really like to see you guys review a ton of thunderbolt and/or USB hubs, some of them can do both if thunderbolt doesn't exist right?

I'm looking into a remote thunderbolt set up right now. Probably just need an HDMI extender(s) though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I am probably thinking its the humidity in the small room that's causing the problem and not the pc plus opening windows or leaving the door open might help with the heat a little. I don't know the ac situation but adjusting it might help.

Pro Tip : if you game a lot with a powerful rig, especially now with 3080s+ TDP, when choosing you first apartment, avoid small studios that have big sliding glass windows directly pointed towards ~South, it is gonna be hell, especially with the heat of the computer (having outside blinds helps a bit reflecting the sun but then you really are the cliché of a nerd living in the dark).

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

The reason for a grow tent for mining rig is because they lack a case. You have a case - just duct the exhaust from the case directly out. 

Or if water cooled put the rad in the window with fans blowing out. 

Or totally outside 🙂

I forget why he didn't want an AC unit but if it was due to noise, there's been some major improvements on that front. You can pretty much entirely shut your window now.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I forget why he didn't want an AC unit but if it was due to noise, there's been some major improvements on that front. You can pretty much entirely shut your window now.

Those only fit single- and double-hung windows. The windows in that room are tilt-out over fixed panes.

The only option for those are inefficient "portable" units.

At the very least, you'd want the kind of portable unit with two pipes so you're not constantly dumping your conditioned air outside.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thunderbolt card and some longer thunderbolt cable runs just feels way more reasonable than this. Especially because not only do you cut out the heat but you cut out the noise.

45 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Thunderbolt card and some longer thunderbolt cable runs just feels way more reasonable than this. Especially because not only do you cut out the heat but you cut out the noise.

In his case for a cost effective one wouldn't not even going with thunderbolt but just doing what Taran did and having long cables so the computer can just be in another room possible as well?

Ok, I liked the idea of this video but found most of it useless and impractical. The target audience was just for nobody. What I'd love to see is something more along the lines of this. A ductless Mini split (attached) in the area of a desktop (located below in the picture) and some kind of attachment affixed to the blower leading to the front vent of a desktop. Another idea in the same video would be for people who have the classic ceiling/floor grill/vent and designing some kind of rectangle end that would secure and then normal tubing that leads, again, to the intake of the PC. The image below is the closest visual to what I'm thinking it could look somewhat like, but on a much shorter scale obviously. For the Mini split it would be a fairly large mouth to properly cover it all and not have any gaps. I could go on if anyone is actually listening but for now that's the gist of it.

*Edit/Added: Oh, and yes, I get that this is a bit of a different situation. I don't want the house to be freezing by over using my AC when I can direct it through my PC first instead of Alex's situation of wanting to contain the hot air and vent it outside. But why not a couple different takes on common situations for what a lot of people could find themselves in.

Toe Ductor Floor Vent Kits - BEST SELLING under cabinet toekick hvac ...

image.jpeg

I've been thinking about this video a lot after getting hit with a $450 electric bill this last month.
I have one of those sliding windows so a traditional AC unit would not work, but could use the special versions instead, unfortunately my window is really tall so I'd need to fabricate a way to cover the rest of the window.

However I was thinking maybe just dump the exhaust of my two PCs in my office out the window.
Quick search on Amazon and I see that there's a 120mm to duct adapter, So I figure slap those on to my system's exhaust, bring those two together from each PC into a air circulator that pushes it out the window with some sort of cover for those portable AC units. I keep my office door open so it should be pulling in fresher air from the rest of the house.
My current room sits around 90f-93f at worst that I've observed lately. And would be cheaper than running a window AC I'd imagine.
image.png.fef07c7d73b3d4a858cdc226f7c39db5.png