how do i get lower ping? what do i buy do get lower ping? do i call my isp for lower ping?

johnny668687

@johnny668687 I have merged your threads again. Please keep to a single thread for the same or similar questions. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

my friend used to get 20mbps when doing a speed test on his computer and 30 ping but now he gets 0 ping and 1000 mbps his isp was at his house so they must have did something do i need to call my isp for lower ping since my friend called his isp to come to his house they gave his a new router, more mbps, and lower ping do i call my isp?

my friend used to get 20mbps when doing a speed test on his computer and 30 ping but now he gets 0 ping and 1000 mbps his isp was at his house so they must have did something do i need to call my isp for lower ping since my friend called his isp to come to his house they gave his a new router, more mbps, and lower ping do i call my isp? can i buy a better faster router for lower ping?

• Latency to where?
  • Are you two certain that you are pinging the same IP address?
  • Are you two on the same sort of connection? (VDSL, ADSL, DOCSIS, FTTH, FTTB, Dialup)
  • Speed has zero influence on latency unless you have bufferbloat.
  • Are you certain you and your friend both have no CGNAT?

Your ISP will do nothing as this not just about them.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you call your ISP and tell them you'd like to lower your ping, they'll be happy to sell you their fastest internet package for the low, low price of one kidney per month. And because the Minecraft server being pinged is a converted office PC rocking an 802.11n wifi card, your ping will not be any lower. But you will have one less kidney to worry about, so there's that going for you.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, johnny668687 said:

my friend used to get 20mbps when doing a speed test on his computer and 30 ping but now he gets 0 ping and 1000 mbps his isp was at his house so they must have did something do i need to call my isp for lower ping since my friend called his isp to come to his house they gave his a new router, more mbps, and lower ping do i call my isp?

Well I hate to tell you this. Your ISP doesn't give two cares about your ping. If you have any other type of Internet than Fiber your ping is going to be higher PERIOD. Fiber connections tend to have lower pings but thats not going to be a CERTAINTY. Coax based connections are known for higher pings, again that will also be dependent on ISP. There is nothing you can do besides connecting via Ethernet. Once the data leaves your home you have no say in how its handled. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@johnny668687

People have told you multiple times what you can do to decrease your ping, but so far you have not done the steps necessary to lower your ping. I'm starting to think you might be a troll.

"Ping" is the round-trip travel time for data between your PC and a server. 99% of that time is outside your home network, and there's nothing you can do to speed those parts up. 

The only thing you can do is connect your PC to your router with a wired Ethernet connection instead of relying on WiFi. That will make your local connection as fast and stable as it can be.

The total bandwidth you rent from your carrier is irrelevant. A ping packet is under 100 bytes. That's smaller than the text data in this post.

If you want low pings, pick servers that are geographically close to you. (Data travels at the speed of light, so if you're in Pennsylvania you'll have better pings to servers based in New York than you would to servers in California or Tokyo.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i used to get 5 ping when gaming but now i get 40 ping when gaming it started when i kept turning off and on the power button for the router and modem every day i think the modem is damaged how did i go from 5 ping to 40 ping when gaming is it the modems fault? do i upgrade the modem? how do i get low ping again? is my modem damaged?

Ping depends on two factors: How far does the signal have to travel and how many servers (hops) are between you and the destination. Every modem/router, switch, server, … between you and the destination requires a little time to forward the signal. The signal itself will travel somewhere around ~70% the speed of light. 5 ms is a very low value for a server on the internet.

Spoiler

A ping of 5 ms means the server isn't more than 500 km away from you, assuming devices in between add no latency at all. So in reality it will be less than that. A ping of 40 ms is still very good.

.7 * c * 40 ms = 8,390 km. Ping means the signal has to travel to the server and back, so at most ~4,100 km between you and server. If we assume devices in between take a total of 10 ms, leaving 30 ms of travel time, the maximum distance reduces to about 3,000 km. Change that to 20 ms and we're talking about roughly 2,000 km. Note that distance actually means length of wire, so unless the wire follows line of sight, the radius the server has to be in is less than that.

tl;dr: If you want low ping, select a server that is as physically close to your position as possible.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Ping less than 50 is playable, ping less than 20 is great, ping less than 10 is lightning in a bottle. Based on the other like 8 posts you have made about this: your Minecraft server is where it is, you can try to get one that is closer geographically so there are fewer hops to it and then back to you. A ping of 20-50ms is FINE. If you want to reduce it by a few ms, go wired Ethernet vs WIFI, make sure your drivers are up to date, and that you don't have a router/modem from like 2008.

Not to mention that a lot of switches and equipment that moves your data through the internet considers ICMP (the protocol that ping uses) as LOW PRIORITY, so if the traffic is congested, your data packets are often delayed or "stretched" over a period of time. 

Your computer -----> your router/modem ----> maybe neighborhood switch --> your internet provider ----->  internet 

All you can control is  the your computer -->  your router/modem  part.  When the data goes outside your apartment, the data you upload or receive goes through multiple devices that may or may not slow it down, increasing the ping  - again, the ping is the amount of time a data packet sent from your computer goes to a destination and a reply comes back to you. 

So in your message above 

Your friend used to get 20 mbps and now he has 1000 mbps. 

It's important  to know what kind of connection he had, was it ADSL, VDSL, cable internet?  Because if it's anything other than fiber, the data travels slower.

ADSL and VDSL uses phone lines, cable internet uses TV cable ... somewhere outside the house, maybe at the corner of the street or somewhere close there's a box which receive fiber internet from the ISP and takes for example 1000 mbps input, and splits it into 200 outputs of 20-50 mbps (whatever the subscriber pays for) - obviously 200 x 20-50 is more than 1000 mbps, but they rely on the fact that not all 200 subscribers will use the maximum of their connection at the same time. 

Also, this conversion from fiber to phone wires or cable TV takes a bit of time, and there's often losses on the wires, the longer the distance between that box at the corner of the street and your router/modem inside the house, the more there's a chance some data packets get corrupted or basically impossible to decode, so the box at the corner has to resend that and that makes the pings higher.  It also takes a bit of time for the box to centralize all the incoming data from all those subscribers and squeeze it into that 1000 mbps fiber trying to give each of those subscribers the same amount of priority. 

When he got 1000 mbps, he probably switched to fiber internet... that could mean he has a fiber from his house all the way to the corner of the street, where there's a switch or some equipment which takes 24-48 maybe more 1000 mbps connections and combines them in a 10 / 25 / 40 / 100 gbps output and that goes to the ISP through a cable with a lot of fibers 

It's much faster, practically no conversions, less transmission errors, so naturally the data goes fast between the computer and the ISP.

BUT what you keep failing to understand is that once the data goes from the ISP towards the remote server, again it's out of your control and up to what kind of deals the ISP made with various companies to carry your data packets towards the destination. 

For example, let's say you're in France and the server is in US.  

One ISP could have a dedicated fiber cable they bought going all the way to UK, and from there they "rent" bandwidth on a fiber cable going through the ocean, renting "premium" bandwidth at - let's say - 2$ per megabit (or $2000 a month for 1000 mbps reservation, just to carry up to 1000 mbps between UK and US) 

Your data then goes super fast from France to UK on the private fiber cable of your ISP, then along with data from other subscribers, it goes through that 1000 mbps connection under the ocean to US, and from there again it depends on what kind of deals your ISP has with various companies that pass your data along towards the server hosting the game. 

Another ISP may not have a direct fiber cable from France to UK, but they may a fiber cable going to Germany, then from Germany to Holland, then from Holland to UK, and then from UK across the ocean. It's longer distance, so even at speed of light, that's more milliseconds of time spent moving data towards the destination, so you get higher pings.

Then, rather than paying premium money for money, 2$ per megabit, maybe they choose "volume bandwidth"  saying they'll pay 1$ per megabit and make a deal to get UP TO 2000 mbps, but only 500 mbps guaranteed at heavy usage times (for example between 10am and 6 pm) . 

So when there's lots of traffic and the ISP sends more than 500 mbps to the ocean fiber cable to jump to US, the owner of that fiber cable may configure the equipment to throttle, to slow down the data packets from this ISP because other ISPs have paid for "premium bandwidth" and get priority on the cable - the total capacity of the fiber cable is not unlimited. 

So there's another way you could be slowed down... and your ping packets get the lowest priority of all the data packets, so they can be slowed down the most. 

I'm explaining these in a super simplified way.... things are even more complicated in reality with peering exchanges and deals between ISPs and so on. 

6 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Ping less than 50 is playable, ping less than 20 is great, ping less than 10 is lightning in a bottle. Based on the other like 8 posts you have made about this: your Minecraft server is where it is, you can try to get one that is closer geographically so there are fewer hops to it and then back to you. A ping of 20-50ms is FINE. If you want to reduce it by a few ms, go wired Ethernet vs WIFI, make sure your drivers are up to date, and that you don't have a router/modem from like 2008.

I think OP needs to open at least 3 or 4 more threads ignoring all advice and asking the same question again and again.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

does xfinity have fiber? my isp is xfinity if so can u send the link to xfinitys fiber website

3 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

does xfinity have fiber? my isp is xfinity if so can u send the link to xfinitys fiber website

See my post in your other thread. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Come on, man, people covered this in your multiple previous threads. You have to call them, and their only true fiber service is $1000 just for install and then $300 a month. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

There is no link.

Call customer support at 1-800-COMCAST.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

there is an 80 dollar fiber

That $80 tier is not a true fiber connection. It's partially run through coax, which is why the upload speed is abysmal compared to the download speed. Based on the image you posted above the only actual fiber connection is their "Gigabit Pro" plan, and that's a ridiculous internet connection for home use. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

so that 80 dollar plan is not fiber?

No, not really. It's partially delivered over fiber, but it comes into your house over coax. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

im trying to buy fiber so i can lower my ping will that 80 dollar plan lower ping? or that is not real fiber

Your ping is fine, and nothing will substantially change it besides moving so you're physically located closer to the server. As many people have told you before. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16