how do i get lower ping? what do i buy do get lower ping? do i call my isp for lower ping?

johnny668687
4 hours ago, mariushm said:

our wireless router can work on 5 Ghz and on 2.4 Ghz. 

It has different capabilities, depending on what frequency you use, and also more precisely depends on what the network card can do. 

The AX version has a 2.5 Gbps port, which is what the OP was probably referring to. I dont take WiFi speeds in the account when saying what a router can do, because A) it depends on router and client, and B) WiFi is not as reliable as a wired connection. 

Also when I say my router supports a 800 Mbps connection thats based on testing done over at Smallnetbuilder and is the LAN to WAN and WAN to LAN number which is the speed the router can do NAT at. Id assume the AX model of the router will be able to handle Gigabit Plus in this regard though I haven't looked at the numbers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

i have used 200 gb out of 1000 tb data cap how do i make that 200 gb go down to zero? do i need to re buy the tb after it hits 1000 tb so i can get new fresh 0 out of 1000 tb?

As I said, you pay $10 for every 50 Gigs you go over, with up to $200 in overages, after $200 I think they just give you data for free. OR you pay for the unlimited plan. Unlimited is $25 a month IF you rent their gateway which is included in that price OR you pay $30 a month if you own your own equipment. 

On 7/7/2022 at 7:31 PM, johnny668687 said:

at night around 6:00 my ping goes up how do i fix it will a better internet plan fix high ping at night?

I wanted to touch on this a bit more. The way Docsis cable internet works, which is which is the standard all cable providers use. Basically there is a Fiber optic cable that goes out to your neighborhood and you and your neighbors will share that Fiber. Thats why Cable internet is called Fiber to the node, because at the node it gets converted to Coax. Nodes can support as little as 20 people in areas that have been upgraded to node +0, but in areas that are not upgraded, it could be several hundred people sharing a node. Thats why at night, basically when people get home from work and start using the internet it slows down. Congestion can lead to higher ping. The only people who can fix it is Comcast and they probably wont. Ive noticed my service has gotten a little wonky at times and this has been going on since covid. 

That all being said, Comcast already said they will upgrade to Docsis 4.0, though Cable labs is still working on the standard. So upgrades in about a decade or two. 

You can't just "switch" to it. The ISP (Comcast or whatever) will switch by changing their hardware and by giving you another cable modem that can understand the new version of the DOCSIS standard.

It will depend on the ISP, how they handle things once your data goes outside your cable modem.

Most likely no, you won't get a significant decrease in latency.

i use xfinity with a MOTOROLA 8x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7220, 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0. it will only support 343 mbps but i am paying for 1200 mbps if i buy a new better faster modem that is docis 3.1 and up to 1200 mbps will it lower 1-2 ping? will i get a higher result when doing a speed test with the new modem?

13 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

i use xfinity with a MOTOROLA 8x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7220, 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0. it will only support 343 mbps but i am paying for 1200 mbps if i buy a new better faster modem that is docis 3.1 and up to 1200 mbps will it lower 1-2 ping? will i get a higher result when doing a speed test with the new modem?

First of all why the hell are you paying for Gigabit + speeds but using a shitty 8x4 modem? Comcast should have said something to you about it. This cable modem is only rated for about 260 ish Mbps on their network. I know that because my previous cable modem was an 8x4 modem. Will it lower your ping, probably not but I would buy a new one to get what your paying for. Keep in mind if you want 1200 Mbps you need to get a modem with a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port like the S33 or else you will be limited to like 940 Mbps like my Docsis 3.1 modem is. 

50 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

will docsis 4.0 lower ping if i switch to it?

Doesnt exist. Cable Labs has not officially release the spec. Cable providers are currently only in the testing phases, it will be a decade before this will become meaningful. 

one the modem, what is a 2.5 gigabit port? can i use the Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox Gigablast, Spectrum | 2.5 Gbps Port | 2500 Mbps Max Internet Speeds for the xfinity 1200 mbps plan?

1 hour ago, johnny668687 said:

one the modem, what is a 2.5 gigabit port? can i use the Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox Gigablast, Spectrum | 2.5 Gbps Port | 2500 Mbps Max Internet Speeds for the xfinity 1200 mbps plan?

Is it on the supported modem list Thats how you will know. 

how do i check if it is in the xfinity supported modem list? send the link to the xfinity supported modem list so i can see. or u can check for me.

I went and checked, the Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox Gigablast, Spectrum | 2.5 Gbps Port | 2500 Mbps Max Internet Speeds is in the modem list

I'm repeating myself but you have to understand... better modems will NOT decrease your pings, or if they do decrease it, it would be only by 1ms or some very low amount.

Better modems give you the ability to subscribe to a higher bandwidth plan, and get faster downloads and uploads, but it depends on Comcast whether they route the data on more expensive plans through better networks or not (most likely not), if the network around your place is congested or not (if a lot of subscribers like you go through the same wires to Comcast's datacenter)

PING is total amount of time for a packet of data from your computer to leave your computer and hop through various devices and reach the remote computer and then a reply comes back to you.

The path is something like this  : your computer - your router/switch --- your cable modem --- the fiber equipment in the building or in the neighborhood where data from multiple people like you gets mixed together into a single cable ---- the isp --- several nodes, several networks through which your packets are routed to reach the destination --- the remote computer

Then it has to travel back.

You only control those 2 at the start : your computer - router/switch if any - cable modem --- the moment the data leaves the cable modem you don't control anything, and a more powerful modem or a higher subscription will not decrease pings, because the data would still crawl to the equipment in your neighborhood and then to the ISP and then through various networks and computers until it gets to remote computer.

when i click on the little internet icon on the bottom right corner, it wont list the wifi name so i can enter the password how do i fix?

4 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

when i click on the little internet icon on the bottom right corner, it wont list the wifi name so i can enter the password how do i fix?

The Motorola MB8611 modem does not have a wireless access point built in. It is only a modem. You need a router with WiFi too.

None of this will lower your pings.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

my xfinity plan is 1200 mbps my router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX30) 5-Stream Dual-Band Gigabit Router, AX2400 Wireless Speed (Up to 2.4 Gbps), Coverage Up to 2,000 sq.ft. and 20 Devices. and my modem is a Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox Gigablast, Spectrum | 2.5 Gbps Port | 2500 Mbps Max Internet Speeds. is the router and modem which i have right now, is it good for the 1200 mbps xfinity internet plan? 

14 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

The Motorola MB8611 modem does not have a wireless access point built in. It is only a modem. You need a router with WiFi too.

None of this will lower your pings.

More accurately it might lower the latency as they will be on DOCSIS 3.1, technically a different network with more bandwidth so potentially less congested.  But expecting it to suddenly drop to 10-30ms is unrealistic, there is no way to know if it will improve or by how much.

Either way they need to be on the newer hardware to benefit from what they are paying for.

Bottom line, 40ms should be low enough for gaming and minimum latency is about how far the data has to travel to reach the game server and over which technologies.  So your physical location and how they operate the network are huge factors.

13 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

my xfinity plan is 1200 mbps my router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX30) 5-Stream Dual-Band Gigabit Router, AX2400 Wireless Speed (Up to 2.4 Gbps), Coverage Up to 2,000 sq.ft. and 20 Devices. and my modem is a Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox Gigablast, Spectrum | 2.5 Gbps Port | 2500 Mbps Max Internet Speeds. is the router and modem which i have right now, is it good for the 1200 mbps xfinity internet plan? 

Yes, that should work fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

do gaming routers lower ping? i have heard asus rog gaming routers lower ping with the game boot option do gaming routers lower ping when 1 person is connected to the internet?

37 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

do gaming routers lower ping?

No, they do not.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

49 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

do gaming routers lower ping? i have heard asus rog gaming routers lower ping with the game boot option do gaming routers lower ping when 1 person is connected to the internet?

Not really. They might help in situations where you have a shitty internet connection and multiple people using it, because the router will prioritize gaming traffic but for your use case, NOPE. 

There is nothing YOU can do about your ping. Once data leaves your home its in the hands of Comcast, and if the service you are trying to reach is not directly connected to Comcast, then its in the hands of another provider. 

• 4 weeks later...

when im playing valorant i am getting 16ms ping. but when i update fortnite, and launch valorant or fortnite my ping goes to 50 i have to factory reset my router and modem to get 16ms ping even if i turn off the router and modem i will still get 50ms ping how do i fix will buying a new modem fix it?

i have devices that are connected to the network but are turned off. are devices that are connected to the network still using the bandwidth when they are off?

6 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

i have devices that are connected to the network but are turned off. are devices that are connected to the network still using the bandwidth when they are off?

No

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

when im playing valorant i am getting 16ms ping. but when i update fortnite, and launch valorant or fortnite my ping goes to 50 i have to factory reset my router and modem to get 16ms ping even if i turn off the router and modem i will still get 50ms ping how do i fix will buying a new modem fix it? is it the isp fault?

dude you're like a spinning record, keep asking the same questions, even though people explain it to you.

Get it through your head that replacing modems and switches and network cards won't do shit.

the delay is caused by equipment from outside your apartment/house to the ISP and to the server hosting the game. You don't control any of that, and can't influence that.