how do i get lower ping? what do i buy do get lower ping? do i call my isp for lower ping?

johnny668687

When i check my internet plan, it says that i have up to 400 mbps and my router says can handle up to 300 mbps. i went ahead and bought myself a new nighthawk router that can handle up to 2.4gpbs but my ping is still 40 and my upload and download speed is still the sameafter i bought a new better router.my internet plan used to be 100 mbps and i would get 40 ping when gaming. but now i bought upgraded my internet plan to 400mbps but i still get 40 ping when gaming. i still cant get 30 to 10 ping do i buy a new modem? my modem can handle up to 300mbps how do i get lower ping?

Unfortunately, your ping (specifically in regards to gaming) has almost nothing to do with your internet speed or your modem. Your ISP and the type of network it is (Cable or Fiber) is a huge determining factor. Also, your geographical location compared to the game servers will greatly impact your ping.

All that to say, there isn't a whole lot you can do to lower it, other than get fiber-to-the-home service, and physically move your residence closer to a server, which for most people is impossible.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

That was big oversight on my part. As others have mentioned, using WIFI is a big no-no, and should only be used if you absolutely can't run a cable for some strange reason. So if you're doing that, stop immediately.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

What are you measuring ping to? Speedtest or the actual game servers? Are said servers switchable (one that's closer to you on the map may be lower latency)? Also as the others said, use an ethernet cable if at all possible, WiFi is prone to being inconsistent. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Well, you already bought the nighthawk router ... so keep it.  It should have ethernet jacks in the back so connect your computer to it using an actual ethernet cable.

Ethernet cable is always better than wireless, because there's some unavoidable extra latency due to converting data into radio waves and sending them to your pc, which then has to decode those radio signals and then your computer has to encode the reply back to radio waves and so on... it can add a few milliseconds of latency.

The ping you have will depend on how many computers are between your home and the ISP and then how many nodes are between the ISP and the server that has the game.

For example you could have   your computer ---> wireless router ----> cable/fiber modem -----> ISP switch in the apartment building ----> switch / router in the neighborhood combining data from multiple apartment buildings ---->  ISP  ---- >

All these hops can add milliseconds  to the overall ping time.  Then from ISP your data is routed through various computers and switches until it reaches the server that has the game. If your ISP has a particularly bad route to the game server, it could be a high ping and then one potential solution could be to rent a VPN or something similar located very close to you, which has a much better network than your ISP.

For example, let's say the ping is 40 ms and you have 5 ms between you and the ISP and then 35 ms from ISP to the game server. 

If you're lucky, you could maybe find a VPN or something near you and then you'd have 5 ms between you and the ISP, maybe 2-5 ms between the ISP and the VPN (because it's super close to you, and the ISP), but from there, maybe only 15-20ms between the VPN and the game server - so in total you have 5+2-5+15-20 = 30-ish ms ping ... 10 ms less.

The VPN may get lower ping than your ISP because often such services use more "premium" bandwidth, while your ISP may use cheaper bandwidth in some cases.

i used to get 5 ping but all of a sudden my ping is now 40 after i kept turning on and off the router and modem and also i am using an ethernet cable cat 6.  i am suppose to get 5 ping probably the modem is damaged how do i get 5 ping like how i use to after i kept restarting the router and modem

I used to get 5 ping but i started turning off and on the router and modem . the internet was not as fast anymore i now get 40 ping is it because of the modem i bought a new netgear nighthawk router which is faster then my old router do i upgrade my modem to get lower ping? my ping is the same after i bought a new router i am using an ethernet cat 6 cable 

It will help local multiplayer a bunch I bet.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-= Moved to Networking =-

Please mind where you post your topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

When i check my internet plan, it says that i have up to 400 mbps and my router says can handle up to 300 mbps. i went ahead and bought myself a new nighthawk router that can handle up to 2.4gpbs but my ping is still 40 and my upload and download speed is still the same after i bought a new better router.my internet plan used to be 100 mbps and i would get 40 ping when gaming. but now i bought upgraded my internet plan to 400mbps but i still get 40 ping when gaming. i still cant get 30 to 10 ping do i buy a new modem? my modem can handle up to 300mbps how do i get lower ping? i used to get 5 ping but now i get 40 ping i started to turn on the off my router and modem every day and when i went to play fortnite my ping was at 40 i have tried everything do i get a better modem ? my modem can hand up to 300 mbps and my internet plan is 400 mbps buying a new better router did not help what do i do to get 5 ping like i use to i am also using an ethernet cable cat 6

-= Merged =-

Be patient, if someone has an answer they will assist when they are able, reposting will not increase your responses.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, johnny668687 said:

When i check my internet plan, it says that i have up to 400 mbps and my router says can handle up to 300 mbps. i went ahead and bought myself a new nighthawk router that can handle up to 2.4gpbs but my ping is still 40 and my upload and download speed is still the same after i bought a new better router.my internet plan used to be 100 mbps and i would get 40 ping when gaming. but now i bought upgraded my internet plan to 400mbps but i still get 40 ping when gaming. i still cant get 30 to 10 ping do i buy a new modem? my modem can handle up to 300mbps how do i get lower ping? i used to get 5 ping but now i get 40 ping i started to turn on the off my router and modem every day and when i went to play fortnite my ping was at 40 i have tried everything do i get a better modem ? my modem can hand up to 300 mbps and my internet plan is 400 mbps buying a new better router did not help what do i do to get 5 ping like i use to i am also using an ethernet cable cat 6

First of all, please provide some more details on the following:

1. Who is your ISP and what type of internet connection do you have?
  2. What is the exact make/model of the ISP device you were given?
  3. What is the exact model number of the Netgear Nighthawk wireless router that you have now?
  4. When you measure 'ping', are you getting these numbers from within the game or from a speed test result? Please run the tests!
  5. What is the difference in gaming experience whether your ping is 10 or 40ms?
  6. Run a simple tracert to google.com and the server IP address of the game if you know it. It might reveal where the slowdown is occurring between your computer and the server.

If you're seeing these ping results in the game itself, the increase is likely due to network congestion outside of your control. Perhaps the game server has too many users. Don't be surprised if the reason is something out of your control.

when i bought a new better faster router, my ping was the same if i buy a better faster new modem will i get lower ping? for gaming

Maybe, maybe not. Most cases even if for example you have cable internet and you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem then to go a 3.1, latency (ping) may not change at all. 

Knowing what kind of internet you have would be a first step.

when i do a speed test with my old modem i get 280mbps if i buy a new faster modem and i go and do a speed test will a faster result

Your modem will not lower your ping.  At most it may improve bandwidth if your ISP only allocates a limited set of channels for outdated modems (docisis 2) but this is really only a thing with down speeds on gigabit+ plans.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

We've answered this before.

1. If you pay for 250 or 300 mbps you won't get faster speeds than the 280 you're getting with a new modem. 

2. You won't get lower ping by buying a new modem, that mostly depends on the distance from your house to the server.

3. Buying extra speed will not lower your ping. It will speed up downloading and uploading files, but that's it.

im paying for 400 mbps my modem is 300 mbps if i buy a new modem and i do a speed test will i get higher results?

13 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

im paying for 400 mbps my modem is 300 mbps if i buy a new modem and i do a speed test will i get higher results?

You'll probably get higher speeds, but there are other things that also matter, for example the device you're testing with. And the increase from 280 to 400 isn't noticeable unless you download a lot of big files.

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

how do i get lower ping what do i buy

Ping is NOT something you control aside wired vs wireless. Beyond that it's not within your control. The BEST you could do is call your ISP and have them check the line to your home, beyond that there is no way to change it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

my friend used to get 20mbps when doing a speed test on his computer and 30 ping but now he gets 0 ping and 1000 mbps his isp was at his house so they must have did something do i need to call my isp for lower ping since my friend called his isp to come to his house they gave his a new router, more mbps, and lower ping