how do i get lower ping? what do i buy do get lower ping? do i call my isp for lower ping?

johnny668687

at night around 6:00 my ping goes up how do i fix it will a better internet plan fix high ping at night?

Just now, johnny668687 said:

at night around 6:00 my ping goes up how do i fix it will a better internet plan fix high ping at night?

You cant. 6PM is prime time. Your node is likely over loaded and Comcast doesnt give two fucks about it. Your only option is to switch to a different provider. OR see if you can get the Comcast Fiber package for $300/m. Outside of that, Welcome to the US, where corporations rule and you are just another cog in the machine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@Donut417what is your ISP? do u get high ping at night?

I have Xfinity. My pings vary. I dont think my node is that congested. Most of the time my pings around any where from 13 ms to 30 ms. Which are good enough for gaming at least for the games I play. How congested your node is will depend on your area, how upgraded it is and how many heavy households are on your node.

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

do u use the xfinity modem or u buy your own?

Bought our own. But not because of ping. Because 5+ years ago when we were renting it, it was $10/m extra, so bought one and paid it off in less than a year and saved $120 a year, Now its like $15 a month or $25 a month with unlimited data included. 

is it better to use a modem/ router or a separate router and modem?

2 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

do u use the xfinity modem or u buy your own?

What state do you live in? If you are in a tight metro area like NYC, LA, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Seattle, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, etc you are going to be fighting for bandwidth, so there isn't much you can do for congestion, but distance to the server will be less.

In contrast, being far away from cities means your distance to the servers is greater, but you won't be fighting as much for bandwidth.

is it better to use a modem/ router or a separate router and modem?

ITs personal preference. Some will say they like to use an All in one solution. However I find those have crappy WiFI. Also historically ISP provided equipment has been crap. I myself use separate and I will always use separate. Why? Because a cable modem can last years and year while WIFi standards change over time. 

how much ping do u get in fortnite and valorant? or u dont play neither of those games?

how much ping do u get in fortnite and valorant? or u dont play neither of those games?

I play ARK, Borderlands 3, and occasionally Halo. Only do it on Sundays as thats when I have time. ARK wise, about 30 ish ms. Thats because the server is located in Fountain Colorado and is running off a Comcast connection as my friend has the same ISP and runs the server. Thats the only game I know the ping, because I dont pay much attention. 

10 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

@Donut417what modem and router do u have? what is your internet plan?

Modem: CM1000v2

Router: Synology RT 2600AC

Internet plan: 300 down 10 up with 1.2 TB data cap. 

i have 1200 tb what is it for?

Thats for how much data you can use before they bend you over and screw you with overage charges. 

what is the data for? how do i use the data?

That how much you can down load and upload. For example if you streaming Netflix and download half your steam library and such, once you cross that threshold you pay Comcast $10 for every 50 Gigs you go over, uptown $200 in overages. Unlike your cellular plan many cable providers have data caps to ensure they can recoup the costs of people cutting TV service. 

why do u have a router that has 2.5 gbps when u only have 300 mbps?

16 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

why do u have a router that has 2.5 gbps when u only have 300 mbps?

My router doesnt support 2.5 Gbps. I have the 2600AC not the 2600AX. The AC version supports around 800 Mbps internet connection as it only has gigabit ports . 

why did u buy a router that supports 800 mbps instead 450 or 300

10 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

why did u buy a router that supports 800 mbps instead 450 or 300

How much the router supports doesnt matter. The router had the features I was looking for, plus this replaced my dual band wireless N router that was failing.  It had good reviews. Also who says we might not upgrade at some point? Maybe AT&T will grace us with a Fiber upgrade, or Charter might expand services to my area and such. 

i have used 200 gb out of 1000 tb data cap how do i make that 200 gb go down to zero? do i need to re buy the tb after it hits 1000 tb so i can get new fresh 0 out of 1000 tb?

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My router doesnt support 2.5 Gbps. I have the 2600AC not the 2600AX. The AC version supports around 800 Mbps internet connection as it only has gigabit ports . 

Your wireless router can work on 5 Ghz and on 2.4 Ghz. 

It has different capabilities, depending on what frequency you use, and also more precisely depends on what the network card can do. 

You have the specs of your wireless router here: https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT2600ac#specs

Antenna Type  4x4 MIMO Omni-directional high-gain dipole (2.4GHz / 5GHz)

IEEE 802.11ac

* IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

* Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi

* 5GHz: 1.73Gbps

* 2.4GHz: 800Mbps

IEEE 802.11ac Wave 2

* MU-MIMO

* 2x2 160 MHz (contiguous 80 + 80 MHz)

* 2x2 80 + 80 MHz (discontiguous)

If your wireless network card can only communicate with the router using the 2.4 Ghz frequency, then the maximum speed between your network card and the router is 800 mbps. 

If the wireless network card can work using the 5 Ghz frequency then it could potentially go up to 1.73 gbps or 1730 something mbps. 

This maximum speed has nothing to do with the speed of the connection between the wireless router and your ISP modem (and therefore internet), which will be always 1 gbps (1000mbps) because you use an ethernet cable between them and the RJ45 ports on the router are 1 gbps capable, but the modem inside will limit the speed to 300 mbps because that's your internet plan and because of other limitations of the cable internet technology. 

That 1.73 gbps and 800 mbps in wireless router specifications are MAXIMUM speeds, obtainable only if the wireless network cards support some fancy things, like using two or more antennas in parallel to obtain a more powerful connection.

Your smart phone may only use one antenna for 2.4 Ghz which could mean even though the wireless router is capable of 800 mbps on 2.4 Ghz, the smart phone may only be capable of 300-400 mbps. 

Same on 5 Ghz - that 1.73 Gbps is only possible with a wireless card that can use that  2x2 160 Mhz configuration, a powerful wireless card.  A more basic wireless card will probably connect at 667 mbps or 800-1200 mbps. 

Why would you care if your Internet plan is only 300 mbps? 

Well, for example, you could have your computer connected to the router at 1200 mbps using a wireless card on 5 Ghz, and your phone could be connected to the router using 2.4 Ghz at 600 mbps  - you can now transfer files between your computer and your phone at up to 600 mbps (the maximum speed the phone can do), because the data doesn't go to the internet,  it goes from your computer to the router and then from router to the phone. The router is just there to pass the data between devices.