how do i get lower ping? what do i buy do get lower ping? do i call my isp for lower ping?

johnny668687

when im playing valorant i am getting 16ms ping. but when i update fortnite, and launch valorant or fortnite my ping goes to 50 i have to factory reset my router and modem to get 16ms ping even if i turn off the router and modem i will still get 50ms ping how do i fix will buying a new modem fix it? is it the isp fault? is it my cables?

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Go back to the first page and re-read every comment. You'll find the answers there.

That won't work.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

How the heck is this thread still going?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How the heck is this thread still going?

The OP is from the US. We have a severe mental healthcare crisis in this country. That explains why the thread is still going on. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The OP is from the US. We have a severe mental healthcare crisis in this country. That explains why the thread is still going on. 

💀💀💀

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

• 2 weeks later...

will making all my devices connect to 2.4ghz but my pc is using wired connection will it make the internet faster will it lower ping?

3 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

will making all my devices connect to 2.4ghz but my pc is using wired connection will it make the internet faster will it lower ping?

Welcome back johnny. 

No. If you want lower ping, call your isp. If you want faster internet, call your isp. 

16 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Welcome back johnny. 

No. If you want lower ping, call your isp. If you want faster internet, call your isp. 

Spoiler

When will it end?!

i have a 1200 mbps internet plan is the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 1 Gigabit | DOCSIS 3.1, Black (CM1000-1AZNAS) a good modem for this plan? am i only able to get 800 mbps with this modem?

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

i have a 1200 mbps internet plan is the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 1 Gigabit | DOCSIS 3.1, Black (CM1000-1AZNAS) a good modem for this plan? am i only able to get 800 mbps with this modem?

CM1000 will never get more than 940 Mbps. Thats the limit of what Gigabit Ethernet ports can do. If you want the full 1200, you will need a Docsis 3.1 modem with a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port. 

how much mbps am i going to get with the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 with xfinty?

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

how much mbps am i going to get with the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 with xfinty?

Like I said, you will NOT get more than 940 Mbps. Thats the max the modem can do. What you will actually get depends on Xfinity's network in your area as well as the amount of congestion of the node. 

when i go to xfinitys website, it says the max is 933 when i check my area. So am i going to get 933 mbps as max?

On 7/6/2022 at 10:49 PM, Middcore said:

Your ping is fine, and nothing will substantially change it besides moving so you're physically located closer to the server. As many people have told you before. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

37 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

when i go to xfinitys website, it says the max is 933 when i check my area. So am i going to get 933 mbps as max?

What is your confusion here? Do you think xFinity is lying?

There is not much difference to be noticed in the real world between 933Mbps and 940Mbps.

@johnny668687Seriously, though. Why do  you keep asking basically the same question over and over in the same thread? Are you reading our responses? Do you not trust our responses?

when i go to xfinitys website, it says the max is 933 when i check my area. So am i going to get 933 mbps as max? or lower?

9 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

when i go to xfinitys website, it says the max is 933 when i check my area. So am i going to get 933 mbps as max? or lower?

You get 1 million mbps since you're a lucky winner, xfinity has blessed you

when i go to xfinitys website, it says the max is 933 when i check my area. So am i going to get 933 mbps as max? or am i going to get 940?

Dude what's so hard to understand...  that what's listed on Xfinity website is AN ESTIMATION of theirs. They say YOU SHOULD be able to get UP TO 933 mbps. 

The modem receives your internet through that coaxial cable. The data comes modulated in the coaxial cable as multiple channels - the modem uses multiple channels on the coaxial cable to receive data and multiple channels to send data from you to the ISP. 

Depending on how far away the hardware at the end of the coaxial cable is, how well the connectors are installed on the coaxial cable, how well the cable is routed through the building and a lot of other factors, those channels may be noisier or less noisier, and that's the reason why they say up to 933 mbps and not a full 1000 mbps or more. 

The modem may use let's say 16 channels to download data, which may guarantee a theoretical 1200 mbps download, but due to various limitations, signal quality and all that, Comcast only guarantees up to 933 mbps.

No matter how much comes into the modem, what you get is limited by the 1 gbps ethernet connector on the modem. Your computer or your router connected directly to the modem will receive up to 1000 mbps, if the modem also receives that much from Comcast.

If you got 940 mbps that's fine. It works even better than Comcast's estimations of 933 mbps so you should be happy. 

Understand though that  PINGS have nothing to do with how fast your Internet connection is.  You could have a 10mbps connection with super low pings and a 1 gbps connection with high pings. 

Ping is the amount of time it takes for one packet of data to go from your computer all the way to the remote computer and come back.

Between you and the remote computer could be 10-20 servers or network switches and different networks - a premium connection may route your data packets through specific networks with less hops while a "home user" connection may be optimized to use cheaper networks and peering exchanges where fast travel times are not a priority. 

Also how much you're going to get depends entirely up to the remote server or website. 

If this website is hosted on a web server that's connected to the Internet using a 100 mbps ethernet card, you're never going to download files from this website at more than 100 mbps, because that's the limitation of this website. 

Just the same, if you go on Steam and try to download a game, you may get up to 1 gbps download speed, or you may not. It depends on your luck, what Steam server you're starting the transfer from and how many people also download games from the same server.  For example, if the server is connected to the Internet using a 10gbps (10000 mbps connection) and 50 people have as fast Internet connection as yours, all 50 will get up to 10,000 / 50 = 200 mbps 

Your internet connection can do better, but the remote computer can't give you more.

It depends on what ethernet you are using and also sometimes how far you are from your router

i am using a cat 6 ethernet cable which has 1gbps. if i buy the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 1 Gigabit | DOCSIS 3.1, Black (CM1000-1AZNAS) am i going to be able to use the cable modem with xfinty? is the modem good for a 900 mbps plan? is it good?

1 hour ago, johnny668687 said:

i am using a cat 6 ethernet cable which has 1gbps. if i buy the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 1 Gigabit | DOCSIS 3.1, Black (CM1000-1AZNAS) am i going to be able to use the cable modem with xfinty? is the modem good for a 900 mbps plan? is it good?

I think people are getting frustrated answering the same questions over and over again. Just ask your isp. 

2 hours ago, johnny668687 said:

i am using a cat 6 ethernet cable which has 1gbps. if i buy the NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 1 Gigabit | DOCSIS 3.1, Black (CM1000-1AZNAS) am i going to be able to use the cable modem with xfinty? is the modem good for a 900 mbps plan? does it work in my area?

Ihr seid gnädigerweise frei von den Verwüstungen der Intelligenz.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

why does my internet drop? i have to reset the modem in order to fix it is it the modems fault?

On 8/28/2022 at 11:00 PM, mariushm said:

Dude what's so hard to understand...  that what's listed on Xfinity website is AN ESTIMATION of theirs. They say YOU SHOULD be able to get UP TO 933 mbps. 

The modem receives your internet through that coaxial cable. The data comes modulated in the coaxial cable as multiple channels - the modem uses multiple channels on the coaxial cable to receive data and multiple channels to send data from you to the ISP. 

Depending on how far away the hardware at the end of the coaxial cable is, how well the connectors are installed on the coaxial cable, how well the cable is routed through the building and a lot of other factors, those channels may be noisier or less noisier, and that's the reason why they say up to 933 mbps and not a full 1000 mbps or more. 

The modem may use let's say 16 channels to download data, which may guarantee a theoretical 1200 mbps download, but due to various limitations, signal quality and all that, Comcast only guarantees up to 933 mbps.

No matter how much comes into the modem, what you get is limited by the 1 gbps ethernet connector on the modem. Your computer or your router connected directly to the modem will receive up to 1000 mbps, if the modem also receives that much from Comcast.

If you got 940 mbps that's fine. It works even better than Comcast's estimations of 933 mbps so you should be happy. 

Understand though that  PINGS have nothing to do with how fast your Internet connection is.  You could have a 10mbps connection with super low pings and a 1 gbps connection with high pings. 

Ping is the amount of time it takes for one packet of data to go from your computer all the way to the remote computer and come back.

Between you and the remote computer could be 10-20 servers or network switches and different networks - a premium connection may route your data packets through specific networks with less hops while a "home user" connection may be optimized to use cheaper networks and peering exchanges where fast travel times are not a priority. 

Also how much you're going to get depends entirely up to the remote server or website. 

If this website is hosted on a web server that's connected to the Internet using a 100 mbps ethernet card, you're never going to download files from this website at more than 100 mbps, because that's the limitation of this website. 

Just the same, if you go on Steam and try to download a game, you may get up to 1 gbps download speed, or you may not. It depends on your luck, what Steam server you're starting the transfer from and how many people also download games from the same server.  For example, if the server is connected to the Internet using a 10gbps (10000 mbps connection) and 50 people have as fast Internet connection as yours, all 50 will get up to 10,000 / 50 = 200 mbps 

Your internet connection can do better, but the remote computer can't give you more.

Yea. But. Will he get 940? 

lol sorry. I had to finally chime in. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air