LMG Sponsor Complaints

CPotter
11 hours ago, Haredeenee said:

Dude really thought listing a bunch of western first names is the same thing lol 

Western names = okay to make fun of. 

Eastern names = not okay to make fun of. 

Is that the conclusion we are coming to? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

15 hours ago, jubjub said:

That's not the point at all and it shows dbrand really can't hit the mark at all. All that's happened is dbrand saw how much backlash it was getting and decided to pay their way out of the situation and to make an absolutely awful apology that's effectively trying to gaslight people and control the narrative.

If the entire audience already knows what happened, then why would they specifically have to point it out? Considering how using those words alone can just get you banned on social networks, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to use the word "racism". 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

19 hours ago, Haredeenee said:

Go to your bank and immediately start a chargeback saying it was fraudulent as you've received no product, be prepared with links to online reviews of other customers having this issue. 

Thank you!

They actually finally refunded me yesterday. No other information other than I got a refund to my Shop account. Not the most ideal way to refund as I paid with my CC but I'll take it. At least I avoided the bad problems with that board as well, just a shame, it was pretty cool.

35 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

So racism is wrong sometimes, but okay other times?

Don't you know? You can't be racist to white people. /s

Whole situation is just blown out of proportion. Was it stupid - of course.

Was it harming for the brand - yes, I think it will be, at least for a while.

Did the recipient of the message had a right to feel offended at dbrand's joke - absolutely.

Was it enough for whole world to get involved and choose sides? I do not think so.

Dbrand resolved the issue (by their books at least), the person might get some compensation for it and dbrand will still be sassy and crass in their twitter feeds.

If you do not like it then do not buy stuff from dbrand and creators that support them. It is that easy.

P.S. Both responses are poor - Linus gives examples that are not exactly equivalent to the original dbrand tweet.

And MKBHD starts his post like "they can do poor jokes as long as internet says that it is ok, even it it harms someone" which is stupid in its own right. 

*** Thread cleaned ***

This is still for discussion about LMG sponsors. If you want to continue discussion about other youtubers, or dbrand in general, go post your own thread for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, Cev said:

The reason why it's less controversial is because white people are not historically or contemporarily oppressed or marginalized for the colour of their skin.

So here's the thing, you go anywhere in the world and there is a group that is marginalised and hated.

My family had to flee south Africa because of the horrible racism against white people there. 

How does this relate to Dbrand, well that's simple, a racist will use ANY justification for their actions. They are a big successful company "doing the racism" and to them that justifies the way they treat others who are different to them, no matter if they are white, or another colour. 

There is no place in the world for direct hate, and Dbrand walks a fine line, and in my opinion often steps over that line

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The whole dbrand thing is bad, and honestly they should lose sponsorships over this.  The initial joke, while I don't think was racist, should have received an apology and immediate explanation about just making fun of anyones name that sounds like other things in English and had no intent to speak of someone's race.

The fact they didn't do this and double downed, while again not racist, shows an ignorance of what people who face racism and shows a reluctance to accept that how one reads the post could potentially be construed as racist.

5 hours ago, itswildfire said:

As an ethnic Indian, I have to say I am pissed at dbrand. A lot of people (especially Linus on Twitter) playing it down and comparing it nicknames or jokes have not walked a day in the lives of Indians who live in the western world (and I'm not even from India, they have it way worse). For some reason or another, racism against Indians is just seen as fine and funny (as Pewdiepie showed).

The first joke, I wouldn't call it racist but rather them just being ignorant of the connotation.  [As a whole I'd say it's more of a massive culturally insensitive and massively disrespectful vs racist...although I view the level of culturally insensitive as being unacceptable as it can promote racism]

Poking fun at names isn't inherently racist, English speakers get their names poked fun at a lot as well, but if there is backlash one must learn of negative connotations and issue a formal apology with an explanation that about the intent and not realizing the connotation.  The part that makes this really bad though is their whole response, continuing on as a joke...and this is where I think the line is drawn and it's wildly culturally insensitive to the point.

Overall though, using someone's name as a characteristic of a person is I think problematic at it's heart.  While things like Willy as a name is made fun of, I think it hits different than lets say being named Karen and having someone address you as a "Karen"; as you are now characterizing who they are as a person based on their name.  For that I think dbrand, regardless of ethnicity, went overboard.

13 hours ago, Cev said:

Tone deaf, really. Yes, people make fun of conventionally white names; people make fun of white people for a lot of things. The reason why it's less controversial is because white people are not historically or contemporarily oppressed or marginalized for the colour of their skin. Also, two things can be wrong at the same time.

Boiling racism down to solely the color of someone's skin isn't I think right; rather it's about the ethnicity of things.  While not racism, Women weren't treated as equals until the 1920's [there are people still alive who existed in a time women couldn't vote].

Scottish and Irish people have been a target of other "white" people, being a natural red-head is still associated with being "soul-less".  The whole class system in the European world as well [which eventually got to the point of revolutions/toppling of monarchies].

I'm not trying to trivialize what people of color have endured, and continue to endure though, but the argument that "white people" are somehow more free-game for their name ignores that the majority of the population back even 200 - 300 years ago was somehow oppressed.

Overall, I am mad at dbrand, and do think they deserve to have their sponsorships to be paused for a while [as an indication of non-acceptance of the position]

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Fucking hell finally dbrand gave the twitter account to someone who's not an edgelord.

This is actually a pretty okay apology. Probably not quite enough, far too late and only after Marques Brownlee directly came out against them but at least they eventually did something that looks vaguely like the right thing. If only Linus had the emotional maturity to respond in a similar fashion. Maybe then dbrand would have actually made a proper apology sooner.

Also I'm not saying anyone should forgive dbrand either or saying it's an adequate apology but at least this time they made an actual attempt at an apology. Also pretty funny how dbrand literally proved Marques' prediction exactly right in the reply 😂

Now that dbrand have actually addressed and apologised (or at least attempted to in good faith) for their actions the biggest clown left seems to be LMG. Somehow Linus managed to take a situation where someone else had a controversy and ended up looking like the biggest asshole. He really does have a terminal skill issue when it comes to social media.

Edit:

So does this mean Linus is mad now or...? Because even after everything including the second apology and money he's clearly still not happy. Or did he not actually mean what he said and it's just performative to make him sound empathetic?

Why are there so many people just shadow boxing in this thread about what Dbrand did and what does or doesn't constitute racism by coming up with some imaginary scenario? 

I got bored while taking a shit and decided to see if Dbrand making fun of an ethnic last name is completely in line with their 2000s era 4chan edgelordness (which the obsession with this from some of you - kinda fucking weird especially if you're not 14 years old going through a phase) that some people here are trying to defend. I scrolled through their replies all the way to 2021 before deciding to get up. Usually their replies are on the lines of calling people a bitch, a nerd, get ratiod, a dumbass, and the only time they mentioned a direct reference to a username was to @ boobsoverass. Despite the fact that they reply to people calling them idiots and dumbasses, even their edginess didn't use the OTHER edgelord word that remains prevalent amongst the edgiest of edgelords. I didn't see any replies to German people going "shut the fuck up you guys had Hitler on your squad" or shit like that. 

Maybe I missed some replies or maybe the twitter app is so dogshit that it doesn't even show all their replies, but that's what I came to after 30 minutes on the toilet. 

I'm not even going to go into the nuances of where the offense of racism comes from and how structural power and historical context matters because there seem to be people in this thread playing victim here (so much in fact you guys are on the same logic of thought that people who get mad about not being able to say the N word use). Never mind the fact that ingroups and outgroups exist. 

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

Too many people are focusing on dBrand making fun of the name (accidentally racist or not) and not on the racism pile-on that they enabled and have completely ignored. Their “apology” brushes this entire controversy off as them simply making fun of a name like always when that’s not the more concerning part here; everyone latching onto this aspect and this aspect alone is starting to feel as disingenuous as their non-apology. They enabled racism. They didn’t acknowledge the hundreds of vile tweets attached to theirs at all. And they don’t seem at all interested in shutting it down within their so called “cult” of fans.

Their response wasn’t enough and they can’t just brush this away. Either they’re letting racism fester on accident or on purpose and neither has been properly addressed.

2 minutes ago, Vangeli said:

Too many people are focusing on dBrand making fun of the name (accidentally racist or not) and not on the racism pile-on that they enabled and have completely ignored. Their “apology” brushes this entire controversy off as them simply making fun of a name like always when that’s not the more concerning part here; everyone latching onto this aspect and this aspect alone is starting to feel as disingenuous as their non-apology. They enabled racism. They didn’t acknowledge the hundreds of vile tweets attached to theirs at all. And they don’t seem at all interested in shutting it down within their so called “cult” of fans.

Their response wasn’t enough and they can’t just brush this away. Either they’re letting racism fester on accident or on purpose and neither has been properly addressed.

What do you want them to do? Just issue a $10,000 check to everyone who saw the tweet?

If they stop making those racist comments and make it clear to their fans that the tweet was wrong, then what more do you want them to do?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

51 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

What do you want them to do? Just issue a $10,000 check to everyone who saw the tweet?

If they stop making those racist comments and make it clear to their fans that the tweet was wrong, then what more do you want them to do?

Acknowledge that it happened and that it’s harmful and that there isn’t a place for racism in their “cult.” Ignoring it altogether and carrying on like the only thing they did wrong was vaguely make fun of a name is unacceptable.

3 minutes ago, Vangeli said:

Acknowledge that it happened and that it’s harmful and that they don’t have a place for racism in their “cult.” Ignoring it altogether and carrying on like the only thing they did wrong was make fun of a name is unacceptable.

Fair enough. We left the offending tweet up because we didn't want to seem like we were sweeping this situation under the rug. We recognize that our original tweet went too far and created a platform for hateful discourse. Given that we've already buried the hatchet with Bhuwan,…

— dbrand (@dbrand) April 11, 2024

What else do you want from them?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 hours ago, Skipple said:

Western names = okay to make fun of. 

Eastern names = not okay to make fun of. 

Is that the conclusion we are coming to? 

re-read. You missed the point. 

@jubjub I should have commented but I was like.... they wont take down that tweet unless it hurts em in their wallet. 
image.png.fdc82ea078ae958372f894f44f90affe.png

and that's exactly what happened lol. Idk why they are saying they 'buried the hatchet' unless something was said in dms that haven't been published, the original poster has not said a single positive thing about dbrand.

So I guess Linus is still mad right? 

1 hour ago, Vangeli said:

Acknowledge that it happened and that it’s harmful and that there isn’t a place for racism in their “cult.” Ignoring it altogether and carrying on like the only thing they did wrong was vaguely make fun of a name is unacceptable.

They didn't. They don't have to say directly that "there isn't a place for racism in our cult" to imply that fact. The wording and language in their tweets certainly doesn't imply that racism is okay, because then why would they have mentioned it at all?

linus should go find himself a spokesperson whenever theres controversy 

hes literally a 9th grader let loose on the internet

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

8 hours ago, Vangeli said:

Oh, hadn’t seen that! Good on them.

While it's good of them to issue a proper apology and recognize what has gone on [i.e. their direct comment lead to racism, and it's not the first time their comments has lead to grief being put on their targeted victim], it's still l pretty bad that it took someone like MKHD threatening to back out to actually provide a proper apology; while you have @LinusTech doing what he does and deflect away with an utter lack of awareness of what actually is being said.

dbrand is a company that I will be actively avoiding from now on in how they handled this situation.  Being edgy you will cross the line, but when you do and create chaos you better well be ready to back down instead of making a joke of the whole situation.

To be clear as well the guy still isn't okay with the message that was portrayed

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

52 minutes ago, djksm said:

you just described 90% of people on twitter

32 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

While it's good of them to issue a proper apology and recognize has gone on [i.e. their direct comment lead to racism, and it's not the first time their comments has lead to grief being put on their targeted victim], it's still l pretty bad that it took someone like MKHD threatening to back out to actually provide a proper apology; while you have @LinusTech doing what he does and deflect away with an utter lack of awareness of what actually is being said.

dbrand is a company that I will be actively avoiding from now on in how they handled this situation.  Being edgy you will cross the line, but when you do and create chaos you better well be ready to back down instead of making a joke of the whole situation.

To be clear as well the guy still isn't okay with the message that was portrayed

Agreed. Linus's statement was just deflected. I hope what linus said was for himself instead of for the company. Or it was said without a level head and itll change/or as changed. LMG has yet to say anything for the organization I believe. However linus is the face of the company, so this just sucks 🫥

I hope linus sees how fucked up what Dbrand said was. how they doubled down. I understand they've been a sponsor for so long and stuff, however linus should know.

Marques's response was good. Linus needs to take note.

I hope more information is shared Friday on WAN and the sponsor complaint weekly.

5 minutes ago, Zenull said:

Agreed. Linus's statement was just deflected. I hope what linus said was for himself instead of for the company. Or it was said without a level head and itll change/or as changed. LMG has yet to say anything for the organization I believe. However linus is the face of the company, so this just sucks 🫥

I hope linus sees how fucked up what Dbrand said was. how they doubled down. I understand they've been a sponsor for so long and stuff, however linus should know.

Marques's response was good. Linus needs to take note.

I hope more information is shared Friday on WAN and the sponsor complaint weekly.

dbrand is the perfect sponsor for LTT. Both don't care unless it hurts their wallets 

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

you just described 90% of people on twitter

But linus is a public figure that actually smart people know about

4 hours ago, Haredeenee said:

re-read. You missed the point. 

Well, you did a piss-poor job of expressing your point. Why don't you explain it more clearly?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 hours ago, djksm said:

The only way his response would've been even more "Linus" would've been to slip in a mention of his merch.

Just now, Erioch said:

The only way his response would've been even more "Linus" would've been to slip mention to his merch.

hahaha linus pov: i very much like monies pls dbrand i love you monies plsplspls we will let you sponsor us also i will give merch... FROM LTTSTORE.COM