Tesla Stock Plunge Wipes Out $114 Billion

Mark Kaine

Summary

Tesla shares collapsed Tuesday as investors continued to digest the implications of Twitter’s acceptance of CEO Elon Musk’s $44 billion bid for the social media giant, tacking onto already-staggering losses (Oops)

0x0.jpg.487319d266c3e2e79dd4837392308762.jpg

Quotes

Tesla shares fell as much as 11% Tuesday to $890, pushing the stock down more than 28% from its all-time high in November and wiping nearly $25 billion from Musk's fortune and $114 billion from Tesla's market capitalization, which now stands at $920 billion.

My thoughts

Very stably! Welp, he always seemed incredibly lucky, maybe his streak comes to an end sooner or later though? In any case, its interesting, i think his recent "acquisition" might be in jeopardy now, since paying up will get harder, what do you guys think?

Also will Tesla keep falling or will he be able to recover reasonably?

Sources

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2022/04/26/tesla-stock-plunge-wipes-out-114-billion-in-value-as-twitter-deal-sparks-fears/?utm_campaign=forbes&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Gordie

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So if I'm understanding this right, then the general belief is that Musk buying twitter involves him selling some tesla stock, which lowers the price. So the panic behind that itself is reducing the stock value?

Why doesn't this also happen when other billionaires purchase companies? Like when Bezos bought washington post, did amazon stock fall? Granted, I think it was much cheaper than twitter

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Considering the massive valuation increase over the past couple years for Tesla, I think investors will survive.  My condolences for Netflix holders though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

yes very sad, anyways

all jokes aside the entire market plummeted today, with stocks and crypto. google missed earnings, nasdaq tanked almost 4% today, and all around a bad day.

Tesla composes roughly 5% of the Index so a lot of it can be blamed on Tesla. Due to some fancy market magic related to ETFs, Tesla definitely contributed to the overall decline.

Plus with Netflix missing earnings, lots of investors are sheepish on Tech at the moment. MS beats earnings, and Google missed, so we're probably seeing the trend continue for the foreseeable future.  

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering the massive valuation increase over the past couple years for Tesla, I think investors will survive.  My condolences for Netflix holders though. 

Yeah, i know the tesla stock is massively over valued, I guess we just have to wait and see how far and for how long it falls, its hard to predict?

I just cant get over all the implications this has, wasn't he supposed to keep his money together... I mean, while it looks all rosey right now, SpaceX is all but secured in the future (afaik) like he needs every cent, quite literally... so that doesn't look good for once.

28 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

So the panic behind that itself is reducing the stock value?

Why doesn't this also happen when other billionaires purchase companies? Like when Bezos bought washington post, did amazon stock fall?

I guess its panic, but bezos acquisition also kinda made sense, musks recent one arguably doesnt. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

26 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

So if I'm understanding this right, then the general belief is that Musk buying twitter involves him selling some tesla stock, which lowers the price. So the panic behind that itself is reducing the stock value?

Why doesn't this also happen when other billionaires purchase companies? Like when Bezos bought washington post, did amazon stock fall? Granted, I think it was much cheaper than twitter

Musk took out a margin loan against his Tesla stock to afford Twitter. It was probably around a 14 Billion dollar loan.

Margin loans require the underlying asset (TSLA stock in this case) to maintain a certain value. If it drops below this, the loan gets 'margin called'.

If Musk gets margin called, he owes the balance of the loan immediately. Like same day. The person who gave him the loan also has the ability to force the sale of assets (TSLA stock) to get their money.

So TSLA is dropping because Musk just handed control of over 1 million shares to somebody who doesn't care about the company. If TSLA drop below $600 (or somewhere around there), Elon could have a substantial portion of his Tesla ownership unloaded at whatever the stock is selling for on the open market.

TSLA is also dropping because Musk hasn't disclosed any of this. It's possible that his shares are safe, but investors don't like that much risk.

7 minutes ago, pstrick2 said:

If Musk gets margin called, he owes the balance of the loan immediately. Like same day. The person who gave him the loan also has the ability to force the sale of assets (TSLA stock) to get their money.

Oh, i see now... well, but i dont think he expected such a big plunge, its huge isnt it? (and it may continue for some time) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh, i see now... well, but i dont think he expected such a big plunge, its huge isnt it? (and it may continue for some time) 

10% on something like Apple would be pretty huge. Tesla is fairly volatile, so 10% isn’t far out of line for it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Kinda. A Margin call for "rich" people is different. A company that gets margin called goes bankrupt, instantly, if they can't make up the difference, their company is the equity.  A person, especially a rich person is basically shielded to losses in the margin account. A Bank can't just go "hey Elon doesn't have enough shares of X, give us more." 

On the other hand, this could also be a short-squeeze, which would be hilarious.

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

The drop today was massive. It's hard to say if Elon expected anything like this. I can't figure the guy out.

Tesla stock is so weird. There has been a lot of talk about how it's extremely overvalued, yet it continues to rise.

It's certainly possible that this is the catalyst that will drive the stock down to the low hundreds.

Or it could reverse tomorrow and hit an all time high.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

what do you guys think?

The economy is in a sad place right now. There is a lot of confusion and concern about inflation and how the Fed is going to combat it. The Fed has already raised interest rates but has indicated they might RAISE interest rates. The issue is they are kinda half in and half out on the idea. With all the uncertainty its pushing the market lower. Things are so screwed up that I heard the US government has stopped the switch over from Winter fuel to Summer fuel in order to prevent the economy from slipping out of control (Summer Fuel is more expensive), because they feel that the economy couldn't take the higher prices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Not sure it has anything to do with Twitter. The overall market is tanking quite hard. Things that were supposed to be improving are not (e.g. supply chains, oil and food prices).

image.thumb.png.7bc1549a5a794c01339c965173404e20.png

4 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

supposed to be improving are not (e.g. supply chains, oil and food prices).

Well most of that is caused by inflation. Because you cant just print shit loads of cash and inject it in to an economy without bad things happening. Which is effectively how the US government has been operating over the last two years. Im sure other governments are just as guilty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Kinda. A Margin call for "rich" people is different. A company that gets margin called goes bankrupt, instantly, if they can't make up the difference, their company is the equity.  A person, especially a rich person is basically shielded to losses in the margin account.

No? They’re still personally liable for the loan, same as a company.

18 minutes ago, Kisai said:

On the other hand, this could also be a short-squeeze, which would be hilarious.

What could be a short squeeze?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

2 hours ago, niofalpha said:

Tesla composes roughly 5% of the Index so a lot of it can be blamed on Tesla. Due to some fancy market magic related to ETFs, Tesla definitely contributed to the overall decline.

Plus with Netflix missing earnings, lots of investors are sheepish on Tech at the moment. MS beats earnings, and Google missed, so we're probably seeing the trend continue for the foreseeable future.  

I never knew that Tesla composes THAT much of the index. Yeah, Netflix lost basically a third of its value in a day and Microsoft barely went up after earnings were announced green.

I personally myself have invested into tech stocks, and I am feeling the pain. I personally think that airline stocks are still a hit and miss, but motor and restaurant/retail stocks will be rising since mandates are lifting at a good pace and people need cars again. I think this will be a good mix for the market away from the big tech stocks like Apple, Google, Amazon, Tesla, etc.

how are you doing today

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

10% on something like Apple would be pretty huge. Tesla is fairly volatile, so 10% isn’t far out of line for it. 

I disagree. Yeah, 10% on Apple will kill the stock, but Tesla fell 13%, or about $130 today. That is a ton of money gone from the stock price. 10% on Apple would make the company lose probably $150-200 billion of the company wiped, but then again, Tesla lost this much as well. I would say the impact on both is pretty even.

how are you doing today

-= Moved to GD =-

Does not meet the definition of Tech News.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Why doesn't this also happen when other billionaires purchase companies? Like when Bezos bought washington post, did amazon stock fall?

I think it's the size of the purchase and the doubt around whether Twitter is actually going to earn him that money back. Bezos bought the WaPo for 250 million, which is a lot for us but pennies for him - even if he proceeded to set fire to it it wouldn't have made a dent in his finances. 44 billion is another matter entirely...

Anyway the stock market is basically gambling, what it does doesn't always make sense. Tesla was also clearly overvalued. It would be kinda funny if the decision to purchase twitter ended up ruining Musk though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Good time to buy some Tesla stock.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

On the other hand, this could also be a short-squeeze, which would be hilarious

I looked this up... how would it be a short squeeze? You mean by the loaner? Because otherwise this doesn't look like the gamestop thing , gamestop was basically bankrupt,  tesla still is doing fine, its just their stocks are inflated/overvalued... 

But im in no way saying i understand how this all works, just curious? 

7 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

I never knew that Tesla composes THAT much of the index. Yeah, Netflix lost basically a third of its value in a day and Microsoft barely went up after earnings were announced green.

I personally myself have invested into tech stocks, and I am feeling the pain. I personally think that airline stocks are still a hit and miss, but motor and restaurant/retail stocks will be rising since mandates are lifting at a good pace and people need cars again. I think this will be a good mix for the market away from the big tech stocks like Apple, Google, Amazon, Tesla, etc.

Yeah this could be somewhat like the perfect storm, inflation, uncertainty, hostlie twitter takeover, etc...

7 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Not sure it has anything to do with Twitter. The overall market is tanking quite hard. Things that were supposed to be improving are not (e.g. supply chains, oil and food prices).

image.thumb.png.7bc1549a5a794c01339c965173404e20.png

yeah, as above might be kind of a market normalization,  and the twitter buyout with tesla stock certainly didn't help . 🤷‍♂️

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So Bill Gates who shorted it (and Musk being mas about it) will be happy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

BUY. THE. DIP. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |