Why does this exist?

AdamFromLTT

Sometimes we stumble upon a device that doesn't seem to make any sense. And sometimes we buy that device. This is a USB drive unlike any you’ve probably ever seen.

Buy a Supermicro16GB SATA Drive: https://geni.us/CX73a

Buy a 20 Pack of 16GB Flash Drives: https://geni.us/r7ID
Buy a Samsung 128GB Flash Drive:
https://geni.us/ByBkM
Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

the answer to your question is because some guy in china thought it should.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

4 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

the answer to your question is because some guy in china thought it should.

the reason for many seemingly useless things.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Makes sense for servers, but not for anything else.

Even if you build a small form factor machine, you're better of getting a small sized m.2 in there.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

2 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

Makes sense for servers, but not for anything else.

Even if you build a small form factor machine, you're better of getting a small sized m.2 in there.

depends on  gen. new gen need heat sinks. seems this dont(but again small form factor issue)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

If Anthony is Tech God, what does that make Steve?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Use case:  Truenas, where you need all your sata ports, and even the extra sata ports you get from a SAS card (which might not be bootable).

I just use little usb header to usb port adapters.  Keeps everything inside the case and secure.  You can use a usb stick, sata drive or m.2.

61g3uawWAAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The "recent" trend of having USB type A ports inside of servers is partly on the way out these days. But for the 15+ years that internal USB type A ports have existed in servers it has sure been nice. Why waste a sata port for the OS. Though, booting from the network is also an option in a lot of systems.

But I can see some use out of a simple USB 2.0 storage device, since a lot of desktop motherboards do not typically have internal USB type A ports. And for home server stuff, sata typically gets eaten up by storage.

Some might say "just use M.2", but in the server space one might desire to use the PCIe lane or four for more mission critical stuff than load in the OS at boot once in a blue moon. Same for a sata lane. Though, some servers do not have much of those to speak of. And on AMD EPYC at least, every lane of sata means one gave up on a lane of PCIe since they use the same pins in the socket (up to 32 lanes per CPU), the motherboard decides if they are PCIe or sata, so yet again, why waste it on the OS...

You also have "MINI" IDE DOM modules. which are often seen in Thin client PC's. as all the thin client needs to do is boot up and remote into a "Server desktop environment"

https://www.apro-tw.com/apro_en/IDE_DOM.asp

Though these are even more outdated than a USB DOM.

they are still being made but only for legacy devices

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Can we take a minute to appreciate the Arrested Development Carl Weathers joke in the video. 

I5-9400F, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3000Mghz, 1TB WD Blue M.2 NVME boot drive, Ubuntu with I3 WM.

https://lawrencehall.me/

Well what he say is not quite true! There are a lot of USB Sticks who have Business Grade internals inside!

From AT. :x

This would be perfect for my FreeNAS setup, I'm using all existing SATA ports for the storage pool and currently run off of a USB A stick inside the case. However I've been through 2 USB sticks in the past 3 years due to them failing. This little device would be PERFECT for what I need. Where did you all buy it from? I see a few places, but mainly refurbished and on ebay. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, Required said:

Well what he say is not quite true! There are a lot of USB Sticks who have Business Grade internals inside!

Can you provide some info/guidance on which units have this?  I have an unRAID server that runs 24/7 and a highly reliable USB for the OS would be a good idea.  I've lost some USB sticks over the years and when they do it's a total pain in the ass because it always happens when Limetech support is asleep.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

If Anthony is Tech God, what does that make Steve?

tech god wendell, then jesus is lawence from lawence system. finale anthony.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 hours ago, dogwitch said:

tech god wendell, then jesus is lawence from lawence system. finale anthony.

Three way tech support challenge?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

yes... yessssssss

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Better idea, it's Anthony (LTT) giving Steve (GN) tech support BUT no one knows who anyone is AND it's a live stream for charity. Steve thinks he's getting tech support for a pre-built PC but it's actually a PC built by Linus that Anthony knows nothing about and Anthony thinks it's Linus's friend/family member who needs help with a PC that Alex built...or something convoluted like that. Hilarity ensues!