Xbox One Runs ‘Virtually Indistinguishable’ from Windows 8

JAKEBAB

"A few months back, many news outlets reported that Xbox One runs 3 Operating Systems. They further went on to claim that the one was a stripped down version of Windows 8, one was the Xbox One OS and the last was a switching layer between the two. Well they were wrong. Xbox One does indeed run three operating systems but the correct ones are: a full fledged windows 8, a stripped down windows 8 and a Host OS (RTOS). The implications for this are immediate and stunning and we will go upon each in this article."

Read more: http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-architecture-explained-runs-windows-8-virtually-indistinguishable/#ixzz2zW8tTBYQ

Here is another source that has some interesting stuff that savage game dev has said I think pc guys will be happy to hear it

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Xbox-One-Running-Windows-8-Apps-Games-Can-Run-Windows-8-PCs-63550.html

So this is awesome but bs at the same time and i think alot of people already knew this but seriously we could have forza on the pc but they want to be assholes -_- seriously i would pay $300 for the xbox software then $100 a year for xbl if i could run it on my pc instead of having an xbox also to the guy that argued with me about this is the most unlikely generation we would get a console emulator screw you in your face!!!!!

WCCFtech. So don't trust anything it says.

However, that means that theoretically games could be easily ported from console to windows, but more importantly the other way around. Sure, we already knew it was fairly easy, but it it even uses the Win32API then there's very little else to port.

HTTP/2 203

because then they wouldn't be able to make any money? you are a one in a thousand that would pay prices like that.

"A few months back, many news outlets reported that Xbox One runs 3 Operating Systems. They further went on to claim that the one was a stripped down version of Windows 8, one was the Xbox One OS and the last was a switching layer between the two. Well they were wrong. Xbox One does indeed run three operating systems but the correct ones are: a full fledged windows 8, a stripped down windows 8 and a Host OS (RTOS). The implications for this are immediate and stunning and we will go upon each in this article."Read more: http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-architecture-explained-runs-windows-8-virtually-indistinguishable/#ixzz2zW8tTBYQ

So this is awesome but bs at the same time and i think alot of people already knew this but seriously we could have forza on the pc but they want to be assholes -_- seriously i would pay $300 for the xbox software then $100 a year for xbl if i could run it on my pc instead of having an xbox also to the guy that argued with me about this is the most unlikely generation we would get a console emulator screw you in your face!!!!!

I would assume they are speaking of the windows 8/rt Sdk for development when they say indistinguishable from windows 8

because then they wouldn't be able to make any money? you are a one in a thousand that would pay prices like that.

I already do i pay more i payed $600 for my xbox one then $80 a year for xbl that is the price in australia wouldnt they make more money by just licensing software instead of r&d into making a console and manufacturing it?

I already do i pay more i payed $600 for my xbox one then $80 a year for xbl that is the price in australia wouldnt they make more money by just licensing software instead of r&d into making a console and manufacturing it?

oh you're in australia forgot AUS $ is less than US $

even still, you're forgetting you're getting the system to play on with the $600 you payed. Not many people have $1000 to spend to get a pc that beats the xbox one AND THEN pay $300 for the OS AND THEN pay even more for XBL. Just saying, you have to think economically when you criticize companies.

oh you're in australia forgot AUS $ is less than US $

even still, you're forgetting you're getting the system to play on with the $600 you payed. Not many people have $1000 to spend to get a pc that beats the xbox one AND THEN pay $300 for the OS AND THEN pay even more for XBL. Just saying, you have to think economically when you criticize companies.

well if we had better internet they could offer cloud computing so u could run it on virtually any pc but maybe that can be in the future but still if they made both the console and licensed the software out to pc users wouldnt they be making more money by getting pc users money aswell as console gamers without basically doing anything since it is virtually windows 8 anyway.

well if we had better internet they could offer cloud computing so u could run it on virtually any pc but maybe that can be in the future but still if they made both the console and licensed the software out to pc users wouldnt they be making more money by getting pc users money aswell as console gamers without basically doing anything since it is virtually windows 8 anyway.

people who buy the xbox one don't want to be playing against people with better hardware than another. having the OS out for pc would undoubtedly cause tons of hacking for any games that are 2 years or older. A big selling feature for the consoles are it """levels the playing field""" to where it is more skill than hardware. Now internet has a big factor on the game which is why that statement is wrong, but let them think that. I'm just saying, consoles are value oriented leveled playing field designed for gaming easy to use machines and THAT is their business model, if they sold OS to PC users they would not be selling 7 million consoles.

this is great news!!! means emulators are coming more soon

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

people who buy the xbox one don't want to be playing against people with better hardware than another. having the OS out for pc would undoubtedly cause tons of hacking for any games that are 2 years or older. A big selling feature for the consoles are it """levels the playing field""" to where it is more skill than hardware. Now internet has a big factor on the game which is why that statement is wrong, but let them think that. I'm just saying, consoles are value oriented leveled playing field designed for gaming easy to use machines and THAT is their business model, if they sold OS to PC users they would not be selling 7 million consoles.

Ok what what if they capped the game so u couldn't drive up the details etc anymore than the Xbox? And I know my gf won't play pc because she thinks if someone has a better computer it gives them an advantage lol

considering the fact that they dont code on the xbox using a controller this should not be a huge surprise to people :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Ok what what if they capped the game so u couldn't drive up the details etc anymore than the Xbox? And I know my gf won't play pc because she thinks if someone has a better computer it gives them an advantage lol

If they capped the settings/resolution for games ported from the Xbox, it makes it almost useless to buy it for your PC. The advantages to PC gaming is that you can raise the resolution to settings you can't with an Xbox. (Among many others, ofc)

//ccap

WCCFtech. So don't trust anything it says.

However, that means that theoretically games could be easily ported from console to windows, but more importantly the other way around. Sure, we already knew it was fairly easy, but it it even uses the Win32API then there's very little else to port.

AND, it's easier to make an emulator, so you can play everything on PC...But they have come out with some bullshit before.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

It annoys me to think about the direction Microsoft have taken with regards to PC gaming.

There's no reason why an Xbox style system couldn't just be implemented into Windows. Instead we've got Steam + Origin + Uplay + Battle.net + whatever other DRM management / launcher you have. It's such a clusterfuck.

Microsoft have neglected PC gaming, and have completely missed the boat. Similar to what happened with the Mobile market. If they'd had the foresight, they could've merged their Xbox console service with PC gaming and made a platform that was convergent.

If they capped the settings/resolution for games ported from the Xbox, it makes it almost useless to buy it for your PC. The advantages to PC gaming is that you can raise the resolution to settings you can't with an Xbox. (Among many others, ofc)

not really yea better graphics is better but I could live with Xbox graphics for the convenience of having it all on the one system turn my pc on being able to do whatever on it then deciding to get on Xbox by just opening an exe and there will still be pc games just if people want xbox exclusives or live in a country where not many people play on pc but play on Xbox they could run the Xbox exe.

then you should explain to her how servers work and how people connect through the host on xbox..... that is more more of an advantage than having a more powerfull pc could ever be.

the net system is absolutely and utterly broken, in that regard pc is alot better, you have a whole team that is 1 second behind the other team because of the host, if that's not an advantage then i don't know what is, if anything it's game breaking.

Why do people always call BS on WCCFTech? I really don't understand the attitude...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Pretty interesting.

I wonder what function the OS serves - is it used for running the games, is it used for running the Modern UI apps such as Skype and Internet Explorer or is it there to merge everything together into a cohesive experience?

If the OS is used in any capacity for the functionality of games then in theory it would make the process of porting applications and games between the Xbox One and PC somewhat easier. If so, that would be pretty awesome - but even if not it's still interesting to know that the console is running a fully fledged version of Windows 8. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I don't want to believe it, but it sort of does make sense. Probably why DX12 will apparently "double" the performance of the Xbox One.

i don t think people buy a xbox to have worse hardware equal to every one else. they buy it for the convenience of not having to think (which is no true since gaming on pc (install and what ever) is as easy as on a console)

i don t think people would panic if they could get better graphics.

They could still use a controller on a pc if they wanted to.

Better graphics doesnt help you to aim(talking ultra vs low here)

Res is arguable but you can aim at a blob of pixel just as easy a a person shaped blob confaining 4x the pixels.(talking about sniping in any other acenario it doesn t matter)

Fov, well every one likes bigger different fov so enabling the option every one would win here.

ms would make less money tho that is the real reason why there are exclusive and consoles.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I wonder if it's possible to emulate the XBones OS and emulate it's games that way. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I could really care less the only game on xbox one I wanted to play was dead rising 3 and even then I'm pretty sure that its not nearly as good as the other ones.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

I could really care less the only game on xbox one I wanted to play was dead rising 3 and even then I'm pretty sure that its not nearly as good as the other ones.

dead rising 3 sucks its so boring and repetitive and the map isnt even big.

dead rising 3 sucks its so boring and repetitive and the map isnt even big.

Also I saw the color pallet, it looked so bland and generic. I was turned off almost immidiately.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"