Windows 11 Update to all - Set default web browser via 1-click

GoodBytes

When Windows 11 was released, setting an alternative web browser as the default web browser was a chore by itself.

It required to set the file association and URL file association one-by-one. A time consuming feet. The change coincided with the new re-worked "Default apps" section in the Settings panel introduced with Windows 11.

Windows Insiders, for a long time now, has had the ability to set your default web browser via 1-click, as Microsoft introduced the option since December.

419529474_Screenshot2022-03-29105506.thumb.png.8e4dfccac1b776057e0cd7a8fcf852c3.png

Microsoft is finally bringing this feature to all, via the update KB5011563 as well with a series of bug fixes.

Once you have the update installed, your Windows 11 build will jump to: 22000.593, and the settings should be available.

To use it, after installing the update, go to Settings > Apps > Default apps.
Then pick your web browser, and you'll have the option on top "Make <web browser name> your default browser", pick "Set default" and it will switch all web related file association, and URLs to use the selected web browser.  Note: Your web search results from Search or Widget panel links still will open with Edge.

The Verge reports:

Microsoft is finally making it easier to change your default browser in Windows 11. A new update (KB5011563) has started rolling out this week that allows Windows 11 users to change a default browser with a single click. After testing the changes in December, this new one-click method is rolling out to all Windows 11 users.

Originally, Windows 11 shipped without a simple button to switch default browsers that was always available in Windows 10. Instead, Microsoft forced Windows 11 users to change individual file extensions or protocol handlers for HTTP, HTTPS, .HTML, and .HTM, or you had to tick a checkbox that only appeared when you clicked a link from outside a browser.

Sources

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-simplifies-cumbersome-process-switching-default-browser-windows-11

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/29/23001277/microsoft-windows-11-default-browser-new-options

Personally, I expected that this update to make it with the Feature 1 update released back in January (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1407124-windows-11-feature-update-1-out-now-here-is-everything-you-need-to-know/), but seem to have missed the marked. I am glad it has been finally released, and not have users wait until the end of the year for it with the next scheduled version release of Windows 11.

Why am I getting the Feeling Microsoft has 2 Departments for the UI for windows 11.

1 Main department, to Royally fuck over the entire UI, and another to fix the other departments mistakes. after the massive consumer-backlash.

They are removing Power-user features, and basic usage features, then slowly bring them back. 

Like are they even trying to make a decent OS. or are they just trying to create the biggest pile of Shit anyone has ever seen.

If it is the latter one, I really hope they mess it up soo bad Microsoft never returns back to FORCED Tablet UI's for desktop systems.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Insiders, for a long time now, has had the ability to set your default web browser via 1-click, as Microsoft introduced the option since December.
Microsoft is finally bringing this feature to all, via the update KB5011563 as well with a series of bug fixes.

I would say Windows 11 users should rejoice, but that's like saying you should thank somebody when they stop kicking you in the shins. Setting your default browser should never have been the problem Microsoft made it be and it was extremely obvious what their motivations for doing it were.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

44 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Why am I getting the Feeling Microsoft has 2 Departments for the UI for windows 11.

1 Main department, to Royally fuck over the entire UI, and another to fix the other departments mistakes. after the massive consumer-backlash.

Windows 11 was released in a rush. It only had 1 year of development. Last time Microsoft made such quick development it was with Windows XP, and things were not great until later after a few large updates and really SP1 for that OS. Anyways, if you are part of the Insider program you can see how much improvement Microsoft is actively has worked on. Things are much better there. 

It seems that Microsoft aims to really deliver a more polished experience by the end of the year. This is nice to see, unlike Windows 10, who took 5+ years to get "Fluent Design" only to get less than a quarter implemented, all half-assed too. The team was not consumer-end focused for a good part of the OS life. Glad to see that Windows 11 has changed back to consumers, sad that it was released in such state though.

44 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

They are removing Power-user features, and basic usage features, then slowly bring them back. 

New code base on many things. So things needs to be reworked in. In other words, you are in a home being in renovation. Mostly complete where technically you can live in, but still has work to be done (board is up, paint is done, appliances in, but missing some things like base boards and a door doesn't close due alignment issue that the installer needs to come back and adjust)

56 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When Windows 11 was released, setting an alternative web browser as the default web browser was a chore by itself.

It required to set the file association and URL file association one-by-one. A time consuming feet. The change coincided with the new re-worked "Default apps" section in the Settings panel introduced with Windows 11.

419529474_Screenshot2022-03-29105506.thumb.png.8e4dfccac1b776057e0cd7a8fcf852c3.png

Once you have the update installed, your Windows 11 build will jump to: 22000.593, and the settings should be available.

To use it, after installing the update, go to Settings > Apps > Default apps.
Then pick your web browser, and you'll have the option on top "Make <web browser name> your default browser", pick "Set default" and it will switch all web related file association, and URLs to use the selected web browser.  Note: Your web search results from Search or Widget panel links still will open with Edge.

The Verge reports:

Sources

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-simplifies-cumbersome-process-switching-default-browser-windows-11

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/29/23001277/microsoft-windows-11-default-browser-new-options

Personally, I expected that this update to make it with the Feature 1 update released back in January (https://linustechtips.com/topic/1407124-windows-11-feature-update-1-out-now-here-is-everything-you-need-to-know/), but seem to have missed the marked. I am glad it has been finally released, and not have users wait until the end of the year for it with the next scheduled version release of Windows 11.

Actually a pretty big QOL change. It used to be a PITA on Windows 11

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

And this is a huge thing? Like literally this is THE huge thing?

"Look! We listened to you and made is simple to change your default browser! Now you must love our touch screen optimized UI!"

It starts to feel that Microsoft makes mistakes only to fix them way later to call them "big changes that people want" hoping that people would forget that those used to be actual features in the past before Microsoft removed them. Holy sidestepping Maria, what a sh11t show...

Oho.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Does this make searches in the search bar open in the default browser or is it still just Edge? If still Edge, does EdgeDeflector work now?

elephants

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 11 was released in a rush. It only had 1 year of development.

Then it shouldn't have been released.  There really isn't much justification behind pushing out a broken product...maybe they wanted to hit their numbers...but that is still a very poor reason to push a product that was in a state that Windows 11 was/is in.

I'm glad that this is "fixed", but this should have been a day one fix.  I agree with @leadeater it seems as though their motives weren't really aligned with fixing, and that it never should have been a problem.  Even months prior to the release of Windows 11 there was the concern about this and uproar from the browser makers.  This kind of thing is something that should have been a lot higher priority as setting file associations in one giant lump is decently common.

I'm betting the state of Windows 11 alone is starting to push more people towards using Linux...even I'm tempted to start moving towards that direction after seeing the state that Windows 11 was launched in (and the willingness to release half-completed features for the sake of releasing something on time)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I mean, we used to have all this with Windows 10 so this is hardly exciting...

We still do, vast majority of people are still rocking Windows 10

when I'm commissioning a rig, Would i be praised for fixing an issue with the pipe handler but at the same time royally fuck the top drive, and put it back to how it was several months later?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

IMO people shouldn't be praising Microsoft for adding a feature that W10 already has.

Also if only MS would change right click menus back to how they are with Windows 10, don't treat the user as if they're dumb and hide things.

Good thing I somehow have 2 Firefox entries. How the F am I suppose to know which is the correct one? Also, browser only? What about music apps, video apps, image apps? Oh right, I need to manually associate 150 extensions for IrfanView ffs. Thnx Microsoft, you rock.

48 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Also if only MS would change right click menus back to how they are with Windows 10, don't treat the user as if they're dumb and hide things.

The new right-click menu does 2 thing:

1. Cleans up the mess, where so many items are just never or rarely used.
  2. Drops the old crappy implementation for third party apps adding entries in it, in favor of a new asynchronous approach.
  3. Encourages consolidation of program menu entries as sub-menus

This fixes the following issues:

• Right-click menu taking time to load (this is because Windows is waiting for all registered entries to be loaded before displaying the menu)
  • Right-click menu not showing up, hanging explorer. Same as above, but worse... where the application has a flow issue and stuck in a infinite loop or extensive processing that it should not be doing
  • Making the user have these massive right-click menus where teh user is swimming with options that they never use, because every program on the planet wants to add menu entries, and many of them add them by default, and make it difficult or even impossible to remove.

The end result, is that now if you right-click, and an entry takes time to load, it won't show up, and when it is ready, it will be added into the menu (menu will expand). Now, the user will complain to the developers, and QA (assuming they are any) will have an easier time identifying that something is missing (as it takes a long time to load). The burden is pushed on the developers of those who insist in adding menu items, and not on Microsoft for fixing something that they can't fix.

I think it is a much needed update. I am happy it finally arrives.

You can expect the "Show more" menu item to be removed in the future.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Good thing I somehow have 2 Firefox entries. How the F am I suppose to know which is the correct one? Also, browser only? What about music apps, video apps, image apps? Oh right, I need to manually associate 150 extensions for IrfanView ffs. Thnx Microsoft, you rock.

It is because you have installed 2x Firefox. Probably one from the Store and the other yourself.

Or one is beta/nightly and the other official, or 2 different versions.

For images, as you open a file format and you have recently installed an app that has added support for it, you'll get the "Open With" dialog.

So for example, assuming a clean install of Windows 11. You have a JPG file, you double click on it, it opens with Photo app. Great. You install Paint.net, now you double click on a JPG file, Windows will ask you: "Which app do you want to open it with", and it will remember that choice.

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

From what I understand, it was only browsers that Microsoft made ridiculously hard to change. For images and such, programs can quite easily set themselves as the default.

The UI in Windows 11 is still kind of ass for doing it manually, but it is not that big of a deal as with browsers.

13 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Does this make searches in the search bar open in the default browser or is it still just Edge? If still Edge, does EdgeDeflector work now?

Of course not.

Search and other Windows-related things will still open in Edge no matter what. Accidentally press F1 in explorer? Edge opens with a Bing search!

And no, EdgeDeflector does not work anymore. Microsoft deliberately broke it.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/microsoft-edge-protocol-competition.html

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 11 was released in a rush. It only had 1 year of development. Last time Microsoft made such quick development it was with Windows XP, and things were not great until later after a few large updates and really SP1 for that OS. Anyways, if you are part of the Insider program you can see how much improvement Microsoft is actively has worked on. Things are much better there. 

It seems that Microsoft aims to really deliver a more polished experience by the end of the year. This is nice to see, unlike Windows 10, who took 5+ years to get "Fluent Design" only to get less than a quarter implemented, all half-assed too. The team was not consumer-end focused for a good part of the OS life. Glad to see that Windows 11 has changed back to consumers, sad that it was released in such state though.

New code base on many things. So things needs to be reworked in. In other words, you are in a home being in renovation. Mostly complete where technically you can live in, but still has work to be done (board is up, paint is done, appliances in, but missing some things like base boards and a door doesn't close due alignment issue that the installer needs to come back and adjust)

I just hope that at some point they can finally retire the Control Panel menu. It's been practically 10 years starting with Windows 8 where they were trying to move everything to a unified Settings menu. That being said, I can't imagine them removing the Control Panel until the next major release. 

Then you had other things like explorer property menus and dialog boxes not having dark mode implementations so running dark mode still feels like an odd hybrid. Like even the About Windows dialog box does not have a dark mode implementation for crying out loud. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Making the user have these massive right-click menus where teh user is swimming with options that they never use, because every program on the planet wants to add menu entries, and many of them add them by default, and make it difficult or even impossible to remove.

I imagine a simple settings page where items in the menu can be disabled would be too much to ask...

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

I would say Windows 11 users should rejoice, but that's like saying you should thank somebody when they stop kicking you in the shins.

Microsoft expects their users to be trained monkeys which gladly jump through more and more hoops every year. That's how it feels like. Windows 7 was the peak of user experience and now it's dropping rapidly...

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I just hope that at some point they can finally retire the Control Panel menu.

Its going to be a sad day when they ditch it for a garbage tier mobile app.... 😢

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

For images, as you open a file format and you have recently installed an app that has added support for it, you'll get the "Open With" dialog.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

From what I understand, it was only browsers that Microsoft made ridiculously hard to change. For images and such, programs can quite easily set themselves as the default.

It probably has been changed/fixed since I haven't had the problem again but at release I could not set mp4's to open with anything but the MS Movies app, there was no prompt and the .mp4 choice simply was not in the extension list. Only after uninstalling the Movies app (through the command line, because MS didn't let you uninstall it) mp4 appeared and I could choose another app. Reinstall it, choice gets hijacked again and no way to open mp4s with anything else. Was same with jpg and Photos.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It probably has been changed/fixed since I haven't had the problem again but at release I could not set mp4's to open with anything but the MS Movies app, there was no prompt and the .mp4 choice simply was not in the extension list. Only after uninstalling the Movies app (through the command line, because MS didn't let you uninstall it) mp4 appeared and I could choose another app. Reinstall it, choice gets hijacked again and no way to open mp4s with anything else. Was same with jpg and Photos.

The movie app can be uninstalled via Settings panel under Windows 11.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The movie app can be uninstalled via Settings panel under Windows 11.

Now it can, but as far as I remember initially it couldn't. There have been changes since, like the Multimedia Player app coming on its own and kinda replacing it...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 3/29/2022 at 1:22 PM, Blademaster91 said:

IMO people shouldn't be praising Microsoft for adding a feature that W10 already has.

ExplorerPatcher fixes a lot of the bullshit MS did with Win11.  You can switch back to the W10 right click, move the taskbar to the right, have text labels, etc.  

Cause I'm not fucking going through sub menus to Edit in Notepad++.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Cause I'm not fucking going through sub menus to Edit in Notepad++.

Yup, just contact Notepad++ developers and file a feature request. Some did with 7Zip, and the dev basically said he wasn't interested in upgrading to Win11, and a branch of the project was made called NanaZip, which updated the context menu to the new Win11 API, and works great.

That said, pressure is increasing on the forum of 7Zip to add support.

Looking at Notepad++ while I see there is one person that complain, not much push is made by the community. So that might never come. Open With option is suggested, as it is right there. Or just press and hold Shift before right-clicking on the file to get the old menu.