Lapsus$ reign of terror might be over, UK police arrest 16 year old teen as leader and 6 others in connection

Master Disaster
On 3/25/2022 at 2:31 AM, Master Disaster said:

UE is open source

*source available, it's not FOSS

On 3/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, Arika S said:

fuck that. full punishment of the law.

I mean to be fair they are a minor and happen to be autistic so there is a chance they didn't realize what they were doing was all that bad. Regardless as a minor they should be tried as one and should definitely not be treated as an adult. I mean who hasn't done some stupid illegal stuff when they were a kid once or twice? I remember the time when I got in a bunch of trouble for driving around with people in the back of my pickup truck as there wasn't enough room for everyone otherwise. Granted I drove slow on roads with slow speed limits intentionally but looking back that was dangerous and lucky the cop that pulled me over realized I was just a kid making a dumb decision and decided to simply write it up as a seat belt violation. 

20 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean to be fair they are a minor and happen to be autistic so there is a chance they didn't realize what they were doing was all that bad.

No, not "to be fair", being autistic doesn't mean anything in this case, they knew what they were doing, they were making demands and threats of the companies they hacked. you don't need to demand a monetary ransom to be considered "doing the wrong thing". You don't get as good at hacking, social engineering and bribing as these guys claim to be and then hide behind "but i'm autistic and didn't know what i was doing was wrong" when you get caught.

23 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Regardless as a minor they should be tried as one and should definitely not be treated as an adult. I mean who hasn't done some stupid illegal stuff when they were a kid once or twice? I remember the time when I got in a bunch of trouble for driving around with people in the back of my pickup truck as there wasn't enough room for everyone otherwise. Granted I drove slow on roads with slow speed limits intentionally but looking back that was dangerous and lucky the cop that pulled me over realized I was just a kid making a dumb decision and decided to simply write it up as a seat belt violation. 

"full punishment of the law" includes minors. they should be tried per the law that applies to them as minors.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Hmmm....
Fellow hackers spilled the beans? 🤨

I know guys - There is no honor among thieves but it just seems to me the kid may have been a lackey for another that was really running the show and they gave the cops a suspect to go after to keep the heat off of them when things got hot.

Even though the kid is reported as being autistic, it takes some really high level "Stuff" to pull off what was done, that being of a level that takes years to master for doing what was done.

Maybe he's a rainman of PC's and was "Guided" by others into doing it... Right where he was wanted to be due to his age and condition (Autism).

If a person has a condition like his they could be "Convinced" and manipulated because even though they knew what they were doing, the occurence most would have about it being a big no-no may not have taken place in his own head.
People with autism perceive the world differently than normal folks do, that's just how it is.

To be fair, all that doesn't really matter though. 
If he was playing the keyboard of the machine doing the hack he should be punished so he'll hopefully learn not to do it.

However I did note he was named as one of the leaders, not THE leader and there were 7 arrests, not just the one arrest made so you have that in play here too.
Could one of the others be the one truly running the circus and he was just one of the clowns in the ring and was offered up by them as a sacrificial lamb to try and cover their own tracks....?

One thing is certain - Considering the stakes that exists with things of this magnitude, it's a completely different game level than most would be playing at.
Guess we'll have to wait for the details but we know time will eventually tell the real story.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

No, not "to be fair", being autistic doesn't mean anything in this case, they knew what they were doing, they were making demands and threats of the companies they hacked. you don't need to demand a monetary ransom to be considered "doing the wrong thing". You don't get as good at hacking, social engineering and bribing as these guys claim to be and then hide behind "but i'm autistic and didn't know what i was doing was wrong" when you get caught.

"full punishment of the law" includes minors. they should be tried per the law that applies to them as minors.

The problem is often to the full extent of the law allows them to be tried as an adult. Also just because you are able to do social engineering and hacking and the like doesn't mean you will fully grasp that what you are doing is harmful and how it effect others. And yes in most court cases they take into account things like this for obvious reasons. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Brooksie359 said:

This sorta makes me sad as someone as talented as them to be able to hack that well at that age they could have easily made alot of money using legit means. Hopefully they will be treated as a minor as I think they could easily be rehabilitated. 

He will probably be treated as a minor. One of my old buddies was arrested for doing similar thing and he was 17 at the time and was given a ton of restrictions like no computer or electronic device able to connect to the internet unless it's for school work or work. He have autism too but at a functional level. I don't know if that was a factor or that if since he was living in Canada when he happen to hack into the US federal court which is another jurisdiction. Maybe a bit of both. I still thinks he was lucky as hell.

So... It wasn't even hacking tools.

They literately found a document with passwords on it.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/28/lapsus-passwords-okta-breach/

The Lapsus$ hackers used compromised credentials to break into the network of customer service giant Sitel in January, days before subsequently accessing the internal systems of authentication giant Okta, according to documents seen by TechCrunch that provide new details of the cyber intrusion that have not yet been reported.

Customers only learned of Okta’s January security breach on March 22 after the Lapsus$ hacking group published screenshots revealing it had accessed Okta’s internal apps and systems some two months earlier. Okta admitted the compromise in a blog post, and later confirmed 366 of its corporate customers are affected by the breach, or about 2.5% of its customer base.

According to the timeline, the hackers accessed a spreadsheet on Sitel’s internal network early on January 21 called “DomAdmins-LastPass.xlsx.” The filename suggests that the spreadsheet contained passwords for domain administrator accounts that were exported from a Sitel employee’s LastPass password manager.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 7:20 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I mean to be fair they are a minor and happen to be autistic so there is a chance they didn't realize what they were doing was all that bad. Regardless as a minor they should be tried as one and should definitely not be treated as an adult. I mean who hasn't done some stupid illegal stuff when they were a kid once or twice? I remember the time when I got in a bunch of trouble for driving around with people in the back of my pickup truck as there wasn't enough room for everyone otherwise. Granted I drove slow on roads with slow speed limits intentionally but looking back that was dangerous and lucky the cop that pulled me over realized I was just a kid making a dumb decision and decided to simply write it up as a seat belt violation. 

Haha what? You're not even remotely comparing similar things. Having people in the back of a pickup is something kids (and, frankly, adults, as that was a very common way for us to travel home from work after a long day on the job in the prairies) do all the time. There are varying degrees of illegality, and they need to be punished accordingly. Stealing 10s of millions from a company, demanding random, etc is much more severe and requires a much more severe punishment. Just as murder would, even if committed by a minor. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha what? You're not even remotely comparing similar things. Having people in the back of a pickup is something kids (and, frankly, adults, as that was a very common way for us to travel home from work after a long day on the job in the prairies) do all the time. There are varying degrees of illegality, and they need to be punished accordingly. Stealing 10s of millions from a company, demanding random, etc is much more severe and requires a much more severe punishment. Just as murder would, even if committed by a minor. 

While I agree I would also disagree. At a certain age most kids don't recognize that stealing is wrong. I can remember a time when I was a kid and stole from a store because I had no concept of stealing. Granted this was when i didn't realize you had to pay for things from stores so its not like i got in trouble more so just a learning experience. Now I would assume that this person isn't that bad and didn't realize that what they were doing is something you aren't supposed to do but if you don't have a good concept of how stealing effects others because you are socially stunnted then you might know it is worse than other things you aren't supposed to do. Now I know someone who has autism personally that had something similar happen when he did something wrong but he clearly didn't understand the magnitude of how bad the thing they did was. Honestly it'd hard to say for this case if it was a factor at all but I would imagine it might. I mean autism is a spectrum so it's hard to say how much trouble they have understanding social situations and such. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

While I agree I would also disagree. At a certain age most kids don't recognize that stealing is wrong. I can remember a time when I was a kid and stole from a store because I had no concept of stealing.

Stop right there. Most kids know stealing is wrong when they're punished for taking toys, food and candy from siblings, cousins or whomever else is their age range, like when they're 3. Some kids with hacking tools they found on the internet, and using them to break into places is not the same as stealing candy from a store by throwing it in your coat. People who actively know it's wrong, get anxiety about "getting caught" and there is also a an entire mental health spectrum that deals with people who either feel nothing, or feel that anything that isn't nailed down is theirs if they want it (Kleptomania) 

At any rate I don't see why this thread was revived. Nothing really new has happened.

30 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Stop right there. Most kids know stealing is wrong when they're punished for taking toys, food and candy from siblings, cousins or whomever else is their age range, like when they're 3. Some kids with hacking tools they found on the internet, and using them to break into places is not the same as stealing candy from a store by throwing it in your coat. People who actively know it's wrong, get anxiety about "getting caught" and there is also a an entire mental health spectrum that deals with people who either feel nothing, or feel that anything that isn't nailed down is theirs if they want it (Kleptomania) 

At any rate I don't see why this thread was revived. Nothing really new has happened.

I think I already made myself clear about the situation in which they could have not realized the magnitude of how bad the thing they did is. I mean knowing you aren't supposed to do something doesn't necessarily mean you know that it is much worse than say other things you aren't supposed to do. All I was saying is that they may want to take that into account. 

13 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think I already made myself clear about the situation in which they could have not realized the magnitude of how bad the thing they did is. I mean knowing you aren't supposed to do something doesn't necessarily mean you know that it is much worse than say other things you aren't supposed to do. All I was saying is that they may want to take that into account. 

This guy collected millions of $ in crypto. He knew full well what he was doing. He was in it for the money.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

This guy collected millions of $ in crypto. He knew full well what he was doing. He was in it for the money.

I think you missed the point. There is a difference between iq and eq. You can be intelligent enough to pull something like this off but that doesn't mean your emotional intelligence is high. Actually because they have autism it's fairly safe to assume their eq is at least below average as that is sorta one of the main symptoms. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Bad5ector said:

Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if it were. But still.. well done kid. Hopefully he gets head hunted by one of the companies he "pwned".

Hard to get a lot of jobs with a criminal record.