27 Inch Monitor Dilemma

I want a 27” monitor. Here are the pros, cons, and questions for 1080p and 1440p

—————————————————

• 1080p

-Will I be able to see the pixels at this size? If not, can I go up to a 31.5 inch and still not see them?

-Higher frame rate

-Worse quality

• 1440p

-How much really is the difference between 1080p and 1440p in terms of quality? Will I even notice it? Can I get away with a 31.5 inch monitor and still not see pixels unless I am up very close?

-Lower frame rate

-Better quality

—————————————————

Notes:

I have a 12600KF and a 4060(I know it’s bad value but I got it on a crazy deal for $250), what kind of frame rate should I expect in 1440p medium-high settings? I only need about 70 FPS. If I go for a 1440p monitor at 31.5 inches, should I get a curved one? If so, what kind of curve? 1000R, etc.?

Thanks!

p.s.

Sorry for going on and on.

36 minutes ago, 4eyeguy said:
  • 1080p

-Will I be able to see the pixels at this size? If not, can I go up to a 31.5 inch and still not see them?

-Higher frame rate

-Worse quality

It may be seen if you stay close but otherwise, it should be okay though not recommended however, up to 31.5 on 1080p is not recommended that's really pushing it and the PPI will be really low.

As a general guide:

• 24 inch = 1080p
  • 27 inch = 1440p
  • 32 inch = 4k

Bear in mind that those above are just recommended.

Also by framerate do you mean the refresh rate? If so how much higher and lower is it from each other? It would be great if you could give the exact model of both

Me myself, I am using a 27 inch 1440p 180Hz monitor and its just great for me

Do yourself a favor and simply don't buy 1080p at any size. With a 4060 + FSR/DLSS/XeSS/NIS being a thing there is simply no reason.

16:9 curved is mostly useless, and generally unless you're spending $800+ USD for it, usually a really crappy VA panel. Avoid if possible. 

The options you should be looking at are the ever popular 27" 1440p IPS 165-180hz options, of which there are a number of very popular models. 

58 minutes ago, 4eyeguy said:

I want a 27” monitor. Here are the pros, cons, and questions for 1080p and 1440p

—————————————————

• 1080p

-Higher frame rate

-Worse quality

• 1440p

-How much really is the difference between 1080p and 1440p in terms of quality? Will I even notice it? Can I get away with a 31.5 inch monitor and still not see pixels unless I am up very close?

-Lower frame rate

-Better quality

—————————————————

Notes:

I have a 12600KF and a 4060(I know it’s bad value but I got it on a crazy deal for $250), what kind of frame rate should I expect in 1440p medium-high settings? I only need about 70 FPS. If I go for a 1440p monitor at 31.5 inches, should I get a curved one? If so, what kind of curve? 1000R, etc.?

Thanks!

p.s.

Sorry for going on and on.

With your specs I would be looking at a 1080P monitor if this is for gaming purposes. Example: 

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/G255F

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wbgrxr/msi-g255f-245-1920-x-1080-180-hz-monitor-g255f 

I'm currently running Dell S2721HN. It's 27" 1080p 75Hz display. I spend most of the day looking at it and can tell you that pixels are not noticable at all from the chair (approx. 40-50cm away from display).

1 hour ago, 4eyeguy said:

4060(I know it’s bad value but I got it on a crazy deal for $250)

Used 6700xt/6800 are also priced around that mark and theyre faster than a 3070ti, keep in mind that the 4060 struggles to keep up with the 3060ti but afaik it goes for around 200-250$ used so you can just find an idiot thatd buy a used 4060 at that price and upgrade to a 6700xt/6800

bye bye dilemma and you can go for 1440p monitors and still keep good framerates

Whether you'll see pixels or not depends on how far you'll sit away from the screen but for the sake of argument if you're within 1m of the screen then 27" 1080p is nothing great in my opinion.

1440p is roughly 77% more pixels over 1080p so you can get away with it even at 31.5". 27" will appear more sharp but if you prefer bigger screen for watching movies or play immersive games then there's nothing wrong with 31.5" 1440p.

I had both 27" and 31.5" 1440p and I prefer the bigger screen. 

But the low pixel density at 27" 1080p definitely bothers me. 

What kind of FPS you can expect? That depends veeeeeery much on what game at which particular settings in which particular area you're testing...

There's also nothing holding you back from using DLSS or FSR upscalers.

I think the best diameter for 2K is 32'' but I would go for 2K and at 27''

Also I don't like VA monitors but if it's VA then it better be curved.

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Used 6700xt/6800 are also priced around that mark and theyre faster than a 3070ti, keep in mind that the 4060 struggles to keep up with the 3060ti but afaik it goes for around 200-250$ used so you can just find an idiot thatd buy a used 4060 at that price and upgrade to a 6700xt/6800

bye bye dilemma and you can go for 1440p monitors and still keep good framerates

I already have the 4060.

Get 27" 1440p flat. 1080p is not sharp at all even on smaller display especially when looking at detail or text. On larger monitor it's horrible.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, 4eyeguy said:

I already have the 4060.

which you can resell to upgrade to a better gpu with a relatively minimal amount of extra money spent

11 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

which you can resell to upgrade to a better gpu with a relatively minimal amount of extra money spent

I already got the GPU and am not going to resell it. While NVIDIA most definitely provides worse raw performance, I got the 4060 because it gives me access to many of NVIDIA's features like ray tracing, DLSS, etc., all things that I want/need. Additionally, I prefer the NVIDIA software over that of AMD.

59 minutes ago, 4eyeguy said:

I already got the GPU and am not going to resell it. While NVIDIA most definitely provides worse raw performance, I got the 4060 because it gives me access to many of NVIDIA's features like ray tracing, DLSS, etc., all things that I want/need. Additionally, I prefer the NVIDIA software over that of AMD.

you could also just trade it for a 3070 yk which will outperform the 4060, even better if you manage to get a good deal on a 3080

1 hour ago, 4eyeguy said:

NVIDIA's features like ray tracing, DLSS, etc., all things that I want/need.

For the record, Ray Tracing is worthless on a GPU like a 4060, the performance hit is too much for that tier of card. You want to look at xx70 series cards and above if you care about RT. DLSS is great, but FSR is the same technology and available on all AMD cards.