Lapsus$ reign of terror might be over, UK police arrest 16 year old teen as leader and 6 others in connection

Master Disaster

Coming from the BBC, it seems as though rival groups might have gotten a little jealous of Lapsus$ and have offered up the names of the group members to police in the UK. Accused of being the ringleader is a 16 year old from Oxford who apparently amassed £10m in cryptocurrency from the groups endeavours. Given he is still a minor we won't find out his real name until it goes to court however his online name is apparently "White".

A 16-year-old from Oxford has been accused of being one of the leaders of cyber-crime gang Lapsus$.

The teenager, who is alleged to have amassed a $14m (£10.6m) fortune from hacking, has been named by rival hackers and researchers.

London police have confirmed they have made seven arrests but refused to confirm any other details.

City of London Police say they have arrested seven teenagers in relation to the gang but will not say if he is one.

The boy's father told the BBC his family was concerned and was trying to keep him away from his computers.

Under his online moniker "White" or "Breachbase" the teenager, who has autism, is said to be behind the prolific Lapsus$ hacker crew, which is believed to be based in South America.

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60864283

Holy shit man, if it turns out a 16 year old was behind the hacks of so many large corps 😮

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Holy shit man, if it turns out a 16 year old was behind the hacks of so many large corps 😮

Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if it were. But still.. well done kid. Hopefully he gets head hunted by one of the companies he "pwned".

This sorta makes me sad as someone as talented as them to be able to hack that well at that age they could have easily made alot of money using legit means. Hopefully they will be treated as a minor as I think they could easily be rehabilitated. 

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Holy shit man, if it turns out a 16 year old was behind the hacks of so many large corps

Just shows how little these corps care about security, its just an expense they would rather cross out...

So...

What happens to that demand for open source NVidia drivers?

Or the Unreal Engine source code?

elephants

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So...

Clearly they're not very smart.

My guess at this point is that whoever gets arrested turns in their lackeys for a more lenient punishment.

This is really all standard script kiddie rage behavior. Keep doing things, brag about it, you're untouchable, oh wait, no you're not /s.

At any rate the clock is ticking. Everyone the "ringleader" was in contact with better skip town.

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

This is really all standard script kiddie rage behavior.

Agree to disagree on that. This group went far beyond "script kiddie" levels, they penetrated Nvidia, Samsung, Microsoft and others to the point of dumping terrabytes of data.

LulzSec and Lizard Squad were a bunch of script kiddies, running DDoS attacks from hired botnets to take down services etc etc.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So...

Nvidia claimed to have reversed the hack, gained access to their systems and wiped all the data. OFC Lapsus$ claimed BS and released the LHC code but my guess, Nvidia probably did wipe most of their stolen code.

26 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

UE is open source, its on Github, the only requirement is you create an Unreal developer account.

https://github.com/EpicGames

37 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

thats literally public information, just make a unreal dev account and get it off of github

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Even if they're found to be involved, the hacking wont stop as long as the method they used can still be exploited. If not them, someone else could do the same. How did they get in, and can those holes be plugged? I feel the era of remote working is providing more opportunities.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Agree to disagree on that. This group went far beyond "script kiddie" levels, they penetrated Nvidia, Samsung, Microsoft and others to the point of dumping terrabytes of data.

A broken clock is right twice a day. For all we know these kiddies attacked 1000's of companies, and have only a 0.03% success rate.

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

LulzSec and Lizard Squad were a bunch of script kiddies, running DDoS attacks from hired botnets to take down services etc etc.

Indeed, a lot of "hacking" that makes the news is just, isn't. It's just a collective of people who think they're a genius for finding a hacking tool in the wild. Most of these people literately do not know what they are playing with. The people that do, wouldn't advertise the fact, and keep their cards close to their chest.

49 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

thats literally public information, just make a unreal dev account and get it off of github

Yeah I know, I was trying to make a joke

elephants

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Just shows how little these corps care about security, its just an expense they would rather cross out...

?????????

From what I know, they were mostly using social engineering tactics, were compromising personal accounts of employees, doing SIM swapping, and were even offering tens of thousands of dollars to employees for "inside jobs" ... not sure how that has to do with a corporation not caring about their security.

You can have great security, but if you have employees with high access not being careful, then all that security isn't worth much.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

From what I know, they were mostly using social engineering tactics, were compromising personal accounts of employees, doing SIM swapping, and were even offering tens of thousands of dollars to employees for "inside jobs" ... not sure how that has to do with a corporation not caring about their security.

You can have great security, but if you have employees with high access not being careful, then all that security isn't worth much.

But thats still on the companies then - depending on how good their security actually is. IF (?) employees with access to high level security stuff (which this sounds it actually is) just need an email /pw to log in (which this also kinda sounds like) then this is just very poor "security" not even worthy the name.

These employees should all be using finger prints and retina scanners at the very least…

On the other hand i have to wonder if its that easy to get access by a bit of SIM swapping and bribing some employees why this didn't happen much earlier and more often - definitely curious - and Im not sure if its that easy, but again, that would point to very lax security. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, WkdPaul said:

?????????

If you couldnt be arsed to properly educate your employees and efing forget about sms auth then your security is like  swiss cheese.....

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

This is really all standard script kiddie rage behavior.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I already asked at another occasion what exact role age and means of attack play when they are as successful as they are, to which I so far did not receive a reply.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

But thats still on the companies then - depending on how good their security actually is. IF (?) employees with access to high level security stuff (which this sounds it actually is) just need an email /pw to log in (which this also kinda sounds like) then this is just very poor "security" not even worthy the name.

These employees should all be using finger prints and retina scanners at the very least…

On the other hand i have to wonder if its that easy to get access by a bit of SIM swapping and bribing some employees why this didn't happen much earlier and more often - definitely curious - and Im not sure if its that easy, but again, that would point to very lax security. 

Bro seriously sms authentication is pathetic at this point. Any company stupid enough to use it has got problems. Everyone at a company should have a titan security key device. The amount of protection that brings is way beyond many other options.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

Can we all appreciate how great the name "crackas with attitude" is. Obviously referencing NWA and cracka which is black gang slang for someone who is untrustworthy (or as Ryder would put it, a busta) while also being relevant to what they were doing (cracking).

Pretty genius 😄

So much for honor among thieves. As soon as someone offers more money to expose you than you offer people keeping you hidden, you're done. Still massing over $14m as a 16 year old is impressive, even if it's obtained in illegal ways. The money will probably be confiscated and after he's out of whatever punishment he gets he'll probably start over and be more careful.

Imagine you as a parent find out that your autistic son made so much money without you noticing it and just using his computer at home.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:47 PM, WkdPaul said:

Many companies have people with control-issues that will demand access to absolutely everything, and these are the people routinely phished. Go directly for the blowhard who seeks attention in the company, because they crave it.

I'm sure Elon probably gets phished a lot.

noooo

well hopefully he'll get a small sentence

Developer and student lulw

I mainly use C#, but i also know Java, C/C++, js and i'm learning x86 Assembly

19 minutes ago, Adryzz said:

noooo

well hopefully he'll get a small sentence

fuck that. full punishment of the law.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

15 hours ago, Kisai said:

Many companies have people with control-issues that will demand access to absolutely everything, and these are the people routinely phished. Go directly for the blowhard who seeks attention in the company, because they crave it.

I'm sure Elon probably gets phished a lot.

Humans make mistakes, or think they know better.

Some have said that all you need is educating your employees, thinking that's all that's needed is quite naive.

All you need is for one person to let their guard down, be lazy, be greedy (that group offered $20k for credentials at one point), or think "it's fine" for all the security education to go out the window.

I don't remember the details, but I remember a guy in a live TV interview, behind him was his desk with his monitors, and on one of them there was a post-it, on it was the company Twitter l'ognon info!!

As a sys admin, I can confirm that people do this sort of things ALL. THE. TIME. regardless of the level of the company.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !