Why The World Relies On ASML For the Machines That Print Chips/Wafers

Pitboy64

Summary

A video posted today (March 23, 2022) by CNBC.
A tour through and short documentary about ASML (Advanced Semiconductor Materials Lithography) company, and its manufacturing site in The Netherlands.
This is the company that builds the machines, that TSMC, intel, Samsung, Micron and SK hynix all use exclusively, to print the silicone chips we rely on.
These machines are over $200 million each ... and those are the cheap ones.

What makes it 'news' is because its fresh, so how they are dealing with demand for chips via supply shortages, due to Covid ... etc, including all the new fabs planned in America and elsewhere ... very timely, considering they are only ones with the machine to put in these fabs.  That makes it news.

Quotes

In a Dutch factory, they make the revolutionary chipmaking machine the whole world has come to rely on. It takes months to assemble, and only one company in the world knows how, using exploding molten tin, and light so narrow it’s absorbed by air.

My thoughts

We all hold to high regard the technological ability of the companies that make the Chips we all use, but this piece shows us the machine itself behind the process.  The fact that CNBC received access to inside ASML, and learned in detail what they do to build these machines, makes for a very watchable video for anyone interested in technology.  Stick around till the end where they discuss the next level of development, that's just around the corner.

Sources

It's probably a Good Thing(TM) this is a Dutch company and not in China. Not that the Chinese aren't trying to get hold of the underlaying tech, ASML is a frequent (read as: daily) target for state-directed hacker groups (usual suspects: China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and undoubtedly numerous other oppressive regimes), as well as criminal groups who hack for money alone. By nature, ASML employs some very tech-savvy folk and their IT Dep't is no exception 😉

The price tag on these machines is one reason, amongst a fair few others, why setting up a wafer-fab is so extraordinary expensive. Mind, should you order one today, you'd probably expect delivery some time in 2024-ish. They're build to order and it's not exactly an IKEA flatpack self-assembly kind of tech 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I find it odd that only one company makes these machines. Seems...wrong. What if, by some fluke chance, their data gets destroyed? There goes the ability to make those machines. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

They're build to order and it's not exactly an IKEA flatpack self-assembly kind of tech 😛

Good, because an IKEA would be harder lol

ASML equipment assembly/construction I don't think has caused relationship breakups🙃

This is a great video, thanks for sharing. Learned couple of things.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I find it odd that only one company makes these machines. Seems...wrong. What if, by some fluke chance, their data gets destroyed? There goes the ability to make those machines. 

That's what happens to every monopoly. 

Will it change? Of course not. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Did they not even include Hiroo Kinoshita when talking about EUV?

Anyway, I would recommend Asianometry on Youtube, he does a much better job on his own explaining everything.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

*...Dark Age of Technology and STC vibes intensifies..*

While it appears interesting it does seem that this is more of a documentary on the industry, rather than "news". For this reason it has been moved to General Discussion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

the amount of tech and research that goes into designing something that works at the single-digit micron level is....  mind bogglingly high.

getting into that field is a multi-billion dollar investment, with no guarantee of success or profitibility for a long ass time.  The only way a company would try to replicate it, most likely, would be if they were bankrolled by a government somewhere.  

6 hours ago, williamcll said:

That's what happens to every monopoly. 

Will it change? Of course not. 

And for safety/security issues they keep killing competition.. 

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

And for safety/security issues they keep killing competition.. 

a thin velied excuse using politics.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

the amount of tech and research that goes into designing something that works at the single-digit micron level is....  mind bogglingly high.

getting into that field is a multi-billion dollar investment, with no guarantee of success or profitibility for a long ass time.  The only way a company would try to replicate it, most likely, would be if they were bankrolled by a government somewhere.  

It'd make sense for the US Government to dip their toes in. That kind of money is simply a drop in the bucket. I'm honestly rather surprised they haven't put money forth for someone to pick it up as of yet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

It's probably a Good Thing(TM) this is a Dutch company and not in China. Not that the Chinese aren't trying to get hold of the underlaying tech, ASML is a frequent (read as: daily) target for state-directed hacker groups (usual suspects: China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and undoubtedly numerous other oppressive regimes), as well as criminal groups who hack for money alone. By nature, ASML employs some very tech-savvy folk and their IT Dep't is no exception 😉

The price tag on these machines is one reason, amongst a fair few others, why setting up a wafer-fab is so extraordinary expensive. Mind, should you order one today, you'd probably expect delivery some time in 2024-ish. They're build to order and it's not exactly an IKEA flatpack self-assembly kind of tech 😛

Do keep in mind that while they have healthy margins, they aren't at Intel levels of profitability.

Their net profit margin is around 35% vs ~60% for Intel.

Even if you set ASML's margins to 0 it wouldn't change the cost of building a new foundry THAT much.

The big issue is it's hard and expensive to get EVERYTHING right when you're dealing with highly intricate machinery with tight tolerances.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800