Intel Announces $20 Billion Fab in Ohio

JebKenobi

Summary

Intel has announced plans to build 2 fabs in Central Ohio at a cost of $20 Billion. The fabs will employ 3,000 people and create numerous other jobs. Intel has the option to expand the site to 8 fabs and a total investment of $100 billion. The first chips will be coming off the line in 2025. 

Quotes

"The project, which will be Intel's first new manufacturing site in 40 years, eventually could involve eight factories and $100 billion in investment over the next decade including Intel and its suppliers and partners. Construction is expected to start this year, with the first chips being produced by 2025."

My thoughts

Yay more production capacity! It won't help the current shortage but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Also as a resident of the area I am very excited to for the community getting a massive long-term investment. 

Sources

https://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/business/2022/01/21/intel-ohio-building-computer-chip-factories-licking-county-jersey-township/9173472002/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-plans-new-chip-manufacturing-site-ohio-report-2022-01-21/

World understood at 2020, that we need processors... Anyway, I wonder how much money have Intel invest the past 2 years. They are building fabs everywhere (+100.000 for Linus staff LG c1 screens :D)

>Ohio

Cringe

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am building a lot of experience in manufacturing electronic devices, microsoldering, wire bonding, etc, at my new job. Wonder if it would be worth me moving out of state to one of these new fabs in a few years.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

With all the new fabs, I wonder if there will be a big surplus in the market in 2 or 3 years, causing prices to crash down.

surplus of 5nm when everyone else moved to layered 2nm 😛 finally out of 14 and 10nm, jk.

6 hours ago, JebKenobi said:

expand the site to 8 fabs

Is a "fab" a single machine that spits out a batch of chips? or is it a bunch of machines doing bunches?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Is a "fab" a single machine that spits out a batch of chips? or is it a bunch of machines doing bunches?

Fab they actually mean the entire facility and supporting services aka the giant ass building(s). Site just means the block of land they legally own.

The Hillsboro Oregon site has 4 Fabs, Chandler Arizona site has 5 Fabs etc

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Fab they actually mean the entire facility and supporting services aka the giant ass building(s). Site just means the block of land they legally own.

Just like a factory 😄 

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

As yes but this is a Fab... it's different I swear 🤣

All I can think of when I see or hear fab is Fab Morvan.

14 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I wonder how much of this is influenced by the Biden plan

Think of it as just a piece of America mean-reverting to the historical norm. The great dream of globalization is unwinding now that Pax Americana has no big-baddie to fight, and the evolving (i.e. rapidly aging) global demographic structure means there will be few places of demand (let alone demand driven growth) left.

Trump brought the issue into the conversation (even if he was by-and-large, mostly rhetoric and little follow-through action). Biden is now institutionalizing it. 

7 hours ago, Heliian said:

for me:

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Dang, today I learned both Facebook AND Google are building data centers in New Albany.

The poor people in this smallish town are about to have their property values skyrocket lmao

New Albany is one of the richer parts of Columbus. Their property values will probably still skyrocket though 😆

I can't wait to become a janitor for Intel in 3 years!!! 😃😃😃

7 hours ago, McRo said:

New Albany is one of the richer parts of Columbus. Their property values will probably still skyrocket though 😆

I can't wait to become a janitor for Intel in 3 years!!! 😃😃😃

Janitors are very important to a worksite. The Architect Behind The Curtains, I like to call them. You hardly notice when they’re doing an excellent job, but when you’ve got a terrible (or no) janitor, everyone is miserable. Good janitors are worth their weight in gold, and more. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Janitors are very important to a worksite. The Architect Behind The Curtains, I like to call them. You hardly notice when they’re doing an excellent job, but when you’ve got a terrible (or no) janitor, everyone is miserable. Good janitors are worth their weight in gold, and more. 

Most physical and trades jobs are like that, where as if a BA was doing a bad job or just wasn't there I'd be hard pressed to ever notice. A REALLY good BA can make a difference but I rather my rubbish bin emptied regularly and the floor vacuumed lol

On 1/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, HarryNyquist said:

Dang, today I learned both Facebook AND Google are building data centers in New Albany.

The poor people in this smallish town are about to have their property values skyrocket lmao

This can be a good thing initially but depending on the state or county property tax laws could be bad in the long term. Where I live it would be bad as it would increase property taxes.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

This can be a good thing initially but depending on the state or county property tax laws could be bad in the long term. Where I live it would be bad as it would increase property taxes.

And likely give those company tax breaks as incentive to build there 🙄

On 1/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, HarryNyquist said:

New Albany is an affluent exurb of Columbus (the state capital), not some one-traffic-light hamlet out in the boonies. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Actually Chase Bank's HQ isn't too far from New Albany. It's just to the west outside Worthington, which is a suburb northwest of New Albany. About 15-20min drive depending on your start and end locations and traffic. Basically the whole north side of Columbus is the rich side. From Dublin in the NW, Worthington in the North, and Westerville and New Albany in the NE.

There's actually a backup data center Chase has in Worthington that they're about to move up to Michigan, I wonder if the other data centers moving in would bring in any benefits worth them reconsidering. It's not some massive data center or anything, it's just in some secure part of one of their call centers.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, Lord Szechenyi said:

I wonder how much of this is influenced by the Biden plan

I wonder how much of this is influenced by Intel having a pile of cash, feeling that their stock is overvalued and looking for places to dump cash before inflation whittles away its value...

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 1/22/2022 at 4:22 AM, Heliian said:

GIRL YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE

Does this mean Intel isn't the one actually making their chips?