Barbados is the first country with a Metaverse embassy

Summary

Barbados just became the first country to setup a embassy in the Metaverse. Barbados will be partnering multiple Metaverse to setup an embassy. Decentraland is currently their first company to welcome them to the Metaverse and bring about the world's first digital Metaverse embassy.

Quotes

So proud today to welcome the Government of Barbados to Decentraland, establishing the world's first metaverse embassy.. 

In what could be seen as historic step toward the legitimization of the metaverse, the island nation of Barbados is preparing to legally declare digital real estate sovereign land with the establishment of a metaverse embassy.

The Barbadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade signed an agreement on Sunday with Decentraland, among the largest and most popular crypto-powered digital worlds, for the establishment of a digital embassy. Per a press release provided to CoinDesk, the government is also finalizing agreements with “Somnium Space, SuperWorld and other Metaverse platforms..”

The various projects will be assisting with identifying and purchasing land, architecting the virtual embassies and consulates, developing facilities to provide services such as “e-visas” and constructing a “teleporter” that will allow users to transport their avatars between the various worlds.

My thoughts

This is some very interesting and wild news. It shows the legitimacy of the future being in the Metaverse. If governments are willing to put a embassy in a Metaverse they obviously view it as something important to the future.

Sources

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/11/15/barbados-to-become-first-sovereign-nation-with-an-embassy-in-the-metaverse/

1 word

scary

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

4 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

1 word

scary

Im not sure how I feel about it. On one hand it legitimizes Metaverse systems on the other is is strange to have a government entity in something that is decentralized and can be hosted by anyone. 

Just now, poochyena said:

literally what does that even mean

This is my take on it is that they want an embassy for the same reasons they would want one anywhere else. Which is to represent their citizens in different places.

It's marketing for tourists and perspective business customers.  They were offering some incentives for work from home vacations at one point too.

This legitimizes nothing, it's a gimmick. 

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

It's marketing for tourists and perspective business customers.  They were offering some incentives for work from home vacations at one point too.

This legitimizes nothing, it's a gimmick. 

I wouldn't call it a tourist thing. I'll add this quote to the main post but they will be doing Visa's and travel in the Metaverse so it goes much further than some gimmick. 

The various projects will be assisting with identifying and purchasing land, architecting the virtual embassies and consulates, developing facilities to provide services such as “e-visas” and constructing a “teleporter” that will allow users to transport their avatars between the various worlds.

28 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I wouldn't call it a tourist thing. I'll add this quote to the main post but they will be doing Visa's and travel in the Metaverse so it goes much further than some gimmick. 

The whole thing is so stupid tbh. Yeah let's pay for virtual land and teleporters because why? It's all just a scam for money tbh. There are plenty of virtual experiences that are either free or just a one time payment and are probably better then this stuff they are trying to sell. 

Lol, so much talk about this "metaverse" and how you make use of computer a "realistic" experience that blends computers with reality.

Well, some 20 years ago there was app called "Win3D" of which I can't find a single screenshot anymore, but it was essentially a 3D desktop replacement where you physically moved through rooms that had functional furniture and shelves. You could label drawers on physical desk and point them to folders of your choice, you had shelves where apps were sitting and you had several rooms that you could move between like you're in FPS game using arrow keys and mouse. And rooms were function oriented. You had actual office with office desk and file cabinets, a whiteboard where you could write notes and it all felt like you were physically present in the rooms. 20 years ago. Back then it was buggy and it often crashed on Windows 98, but it was something otherworldly. We had this "metaverse" "VR" buzzword bullshit back then.

Reality is, it looked nice, but every webpage with dedicated forms and functions will always be better and less confusing. So I don't understand why we're going that way again after 2 decades. It's a cool novelty thing that realistically isn't really usable. What's next, physical queue lines to make it feel more realistic as you're waiting for documents to be made in the office? Lol?

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Well, some 20 years ago there was app called "Win3D" of which I can't find a single screenshot anymore, but it was essentially a 3D desktop replacement where you physically moved through rooms that had functional furniture and shelves. You could label drawers on physical desk and point them to folders of your choice, you had shelves where apps were sitting and you had several rooms that you could move between like you're in FPS game using arrow keys and mouse. And rooms were function oriented. You had actual office with office desk and file cabinets, a whiteboard where you could write notes and it all felt like you were physically present in the rooms. 20 years ago. Back then it was buggy and it often crashed on Windows 98, but it was something otherworldly. We had this "metaverse" "VR" buzzword bullshit back then.

Sounds similar to Microsoft Bob.

elephants

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, so much talk about this "metaverse" and how you make use of computer a "realistic" experience that blends computers with reality.

Reality is, it looked nice, but every webpage with dedicated forms and functions will always be better and less confusing. So I don't understand why we're going that way again after 2 decades. It's a cool novelty thing that realistically isn't really usable. What's next, physical queue lines to make it feel more realistic as you're waiting for documents to be made in the office? Lol?

I think people want a more realistic virtual world especially with the rise of work from home and more virtual settings. Which is why you see Microsoft doing VR teams meetings now.

But the real question is whether you can Jason Bourne your way into the Metaverse Embassy whilst running away from government officials of your host country 🤣.

I'm really shocked that other people don't see the Metaverse as big of a joke as it sounds like it is. I sincerely hope it dies off before it becomes a mandatory and dumb part of life.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The whole thing is so stupid tbh. Yeah let's pay for virtual land and teleporters because why? It's all just a scam for money tbh. There are plenty of virtual experiences that are either free or just a one time payment and are probably better then this stuff they are trying to sell. 

I see this as arcades vs videogames. Both allow you to play games one just took it further by allowing more immersive and engaging virtual experiences. This is just the next digital revolution in it's early stages.

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Megacorps are building the shitty part of the cyberpunk dystopia, but where are the pink, purple and lime green neons and weird looking vehicles? and holograms, we also need those.

Just wait till you see Facebooks Metaverse

Ads-Ads-Everywhere.jpg.ac3c18b81cb1f29bdedeaa8f00b9193c.jpg

27 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I see this as arcades vs videogames. Both allow you to play games one just took it further by allowing more immersive and engaging virtual experiences. This is just the next digital revolution in it's early stages.

No this is not the next step this is a project that is going to fail because it's a straight scam. Do you really think anyone will pay for property in VR in a metaverse that is bound to fail? It's like the idea of buying property in a game when you know the sequel will come out and be better and the property you bought will be worthless. If it was only some online services in VR that would make sense to be able to go somewhere in VR and get stuff done that would normally require you to go in person but once you start charging money for property and for teleporters then I'm sorry this is a money grab at that point. 

1 hour ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Which is to represent their citizens in different places.

where? How do I visit "metaverse"? Thats what I don't understand. If they said they wanted to add an embassy in world of warcraft, that makes sense to me! but metaverse??

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But the real question is whether you can Jason Bourne your way into the Metaverse Embassy whilst running away from government officials of your host country 🤣.

I'm really shocked that other people don't see the Metaverse as big of a joke as it sounds like it is. I sincerely hope it dies off before it becomes a mandatory and dumb part of life.

Uses the word "whilst", spells Aluminum with an extra i... This is clearly the work of a European!

As for the metaverse, I am frankly terrified of it. It's bad enough I have to be paranoid about who my niece and nephew talk to in VR, now we have to worry about what implications this will have on online communication. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

33 minutes ago, MageTank said:

As for the metaverse, I am frankly terrified of it. It's bad enough I have to be paranoid about who my niece and nephew talk to in VR, now we have to worry about what implications this will have on online communication. 

That reminds me, Sword Art Online takes place in November 2022, exactly a year from now.

sadly it means, facebook is going to own more than your data on social media.

Now the government might just give up their data without knowing what this means, unless they are able to support themselves and not be that tied to facebook's "metaverse".

Just scary who holds the power in this, and its not going to encourage the freedom we would want from such a world.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

No this is not the next step this is a project that is going to fail because it's a straight scam. Do you really think anyone will pay for property in VR in a metaverse that is bound to fail? It's like the idea of buying property in a game when you know the sequel will come out and be better and the property you bought will be worthless. If it was only some online services in VR that would make sense to be able to go somewhere in VR and get stuff done that would normally require you to go in person but once you start charging money for property and for teleporters then I'm sorry this is a money grab at that point. 

No one said you had to pay to teleport and I'm pretty sure charging money for virtual property isn't any worse than buying virtual items in a normal videogame. Saying it's an outright scam just because it's crypto doesn't make it true. If there wasn't real money to be made in this with a real stake in the virtual future do you really think Facebook, Microsoft, and governments would be pouring so much money into it?

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

where? How do I visit "metaverse"? Thats what I don't understand. If they said they wanted to add an embassy in world of warcraft, that makes sense to me! but metaverse??

Going into the Metaverse is easy you just need a crypto wallet and a browser and or VR headset. They are basically saying there will be not just one Metaverse but many and some people may be citizens of one, all, or none but still want to travel between them. Therefore they want to have a point of contact for it's real citizens in the Metaverse.