Bethesda still trying to milk the dead cash cow, Skyrim Anniversary will be a $20 upgrade for owners of Special or $50 for everyone else

Master Disaster

I stopped playing skyrim, and entirely uninstalled it, when Bethesda released weekly patches that literally just broke mods and did nothing else, in an attempt to force everyone into re-buying all of their mods through the stupid creator club thing. They even forced the updates through Steam with no way to stop them.

When Fallout 76 released, I just added Bethesda to my 'No Buy' publisher list, along with EA and Rockstar.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I mean one of the fundamentals of consumerism is that things get cheaper as they age

wut

who told you that? Yes, USED things get cheaper as they age, but not unused products unless their usefulness goes down, such as computer parts. A $10 pair of scissors is going to be worth $10 whether they were designed today or 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

wut

who told you that? Yes, USED things get cheaper as they age, but not unused products unless their usefulness goes down, such as computer parts. A $10 pair of scissors is going to be worth $10 whether they were designed today or 20 years ago.

Right so we agree then. Skyrim isn't a new product, its a remaster of a remaster of a rerelease.

See the thing about entertainment items is they have very little utility, a rerelease of a 10 year old game isn't new and it isn't useful.

Also no, your 20 year old pair of scissors will have started to decay, wood rots, plastic goes brittle and even stainless steel tarnishes over time plus in all likely hood the manufacturers would have released a new pair of scissors that are better than the 20 year old ones.

This is the reason why stores often have bins filled with old cheap items and why new old stock items don't sell for full retail price unless there is a high demand for them (like for example CRTs are expensive because retro gaming is better using one and they don't make them anymore so they are useful and rare).

Item + > Time = < Usefulness

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ah how surprising for them not to release the anniversary edition for free for current owners of the Special Edition, with the exception for the next-gen upgrade. Bethesda is just milking the shit out of Skyrim just because of it's past popularity. The fact that the game still costs about 60 bucks on the Switch says a lot, but that's just mostly Nintendo as the prices are different on other platforms.  

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

29 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Right so we agree then. Skyrim isn't a new product

You quote the wrong person? I never made any reference at all as to whether skyrim is a "new product" or not.

31 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Also no, your 20 year old pair of scissors

I also said nothing about "20 year old pair of scissors". Do you have trouble reading, or?

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is the reason why stores often have bins filled with old cheap items

yes, because they don't sell well and trying to make room for things that do sell well. They run out of physical space. That doesn't apply to digital games.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

and why new old stock items don't sell for full retail price unless there is a high demand for them

yes, what matters is the demand, not whether its new or old.
Look at these scissors https://smile.amazon.com/Scotch-1448-Precision-Scissor-8-Inches/dp/B001BKHHGS/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=scissor&qid=1636327793&sr=8-9

"Date First Available:June 20, 2006"

Yet the price has INCREASED over the past 15 years (probably roughly same cost accounting for inflation) https://camelcamelcamel.com/Scotch-1448-Precision-Scissor-8-Inches/product/B001BKHHGS

So where you have this idea that things designed 10+ years ago are suppose to go down in price over time, idk.

5 hours ago, Sarra said:

I stopped playing skyrim, and entirely uninstalled it, when Bethesda released weekly patches that literally just broke mods and did nothing else, in an attempt to force everyone into re-buying all of their mods through the stupid creator club thing. They even forced the updates through Steam with no way to stop them.

When Fallout 76 released, I just added Bethesda to my 'No Buy' publisher list, along with EA and Rockstar.

I've never had a mod suddenly break because of a creator club update. None of the creator club mods are available anywhere else either (not legally anyway) so what do you mean "re-buy"? There are mods all over modnexus to gut and remove creator club too.

If people pay it and they sell

It was smart decision for them ez money considering they really didn't do the work

9 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I've never had a mod suddenly break because of a creator club update. None of the creator club mods are available anywhere else either (not legally anyway) so what do you mean "re-buy"? There are mods all over modnexus to gut and remove creator club too.

The patches were 'game patches', and they changed 'game files', for the express purpose of breaking non creator club mods. The end result was that out of every week, I couldn't even play the game, unless I disabled my Nexus mods, except for 2-3 days a week, because that was how long it took most of the mods to get fixed to work with the last freaking game patch, that literally was only done to break the mods in the first place.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Unless the natively include HDR in the new version there is nothing it can possibly offer that mods don't. Like others mentioned the biggest change it will bring is completely broken mod support, which is the only reason why Skyrim has been holding on for so long. They should actually run a voluntary survey to see how many of the current player don't use mods. I really hope this will be a seperate game, not an update to the Special Edition. In that case at least it would't break Special Edition modding.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 hours ago, Sarra said:

You need to stop updates and never launch the game again through steam. Because then it will auto-update again. I did it once because i was brain-afk and it completely bricked my 700+ mod skyrim install and weeks of work. Their weekly updates only added more mods to their creation club bullshit that no one uses that is serious about modding the game.

19 minutes ago, Sarra said:

The patches were 'game patches', and they changed 'game files', for the express purpose of breaking non creator club mods. The end result was that out of every week, I couldn't even play the game, unless I disabled my Nexus mods, except for 2-3 days a week, because that was how long it took most of the mods to get fixed to work with the last freaking game patch, that literally was only done to break the mods in the first place.

The biggest problem was SKSE bricking with every update. Sometimes it took weeks or months until they got it working again with the current version. And SKSE is a requirement for 99% of all mods that include scripts, etc. The only mods you could use were texture replacers and the sorts.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Bethesda - secretly owned by Take-Two Interactive

Lol... 😛

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I don't understand the complaints in this thread. I for one, think it will be a great re-re-release.

Hodd Toward (@nottodd2) | Twitter

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:09 AM, Salv8 (sam) said:

todd's right! IT DOES JUST WORK!

lol, wow! I'm left in state of awe in how well this was done. Shockingly well, good vocals too.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:48 AM, Master Disaster said:

Skyrim, the meme that keeps on giving.

Bethesda have announced pricing for the "next gen upgrade" of Skyrim and people are pretty mad about it. The expectation was that special edition owners would get a free upgrade in line with how other studios have handled it but Todd has different ideas. Despite the game being nothing more than Special + a mod bundle Todd seems to think the game is still worth $50.

By far the best part of this joke is the fact Bethesda are touting a resolution bump and faster loading that come from the XBS & PS5 as a "next gen upgrade"

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/5esC91g2ABY1jQ97uq39zW/skyrim-anniversary-edition-faq

This game first released in 2011 on the XB360 & PS3 yet they still think its worth $50? Todd be trippin 😄

People still paying for meat from that dead cash cow...

Why wouldn't you supply something people want and will pay for?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

These game developers/distributors are really taking the piss, and they won't stop because people are still buying the product which means they are still making money so no incentive to change their ways. Letter and lawsuits etc won't change anything, companies only care about shareholders who only care about the bottom line - trust me on this one. That is how a company's success is measured. 
The only way to stop this ridiculousness is by not purchasing and pre-ordering the rubbish smear off on us. Things like this release, I will not purchase as there is no reason to (I'm on PC) and I've stopped buying any game that is still full of bugs and other issues as they release half-baked software and fix the basic issues during the life of the product so you have say a year of sub par experiences and then they fix it just before the new release comes out so people look at the previous release through their rose-colored glasses and then buy the next one asap.

We gamers really are a bunch of idiots or addicts that will accept anything lately.

Most of the Creation Club content is garbage or filler anyway (and for the few Creation Club mods that are decent, Google is your friend 😉). Hopefully this means they'll stop updating Skyrim SE every couple of months and finally leave us in peace.

15 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

We gamers really are a bunch of idiots or addicts that will accept anything lately.

These days there's just a lot more kids that don't know any better, and whales with wallets bigger than their brains. I haven't purchased a AAA game or DLC for full price in six years now, and most of my friends either play free games like Dota, indie games, or old discounted AAA games. Doesn't seem to even put a dent in the AAA bottom line though lol

when horse armor mod was selling for 100's of dollars on steam workshop when they had "paid creator content".

such a big scam with no control either.

what people play skyrim for still is because of mods, and if older versions are deleted from the store and mods move to the new version. more fuckery.

not because its worth it, but rather they are "forced" to.

Basically every single TES game broke itself to a point I couldn't play it further and I was too far to play it all over again. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. All of them. They were fun for the time, but are the only games I never finished. Oh and Fallout 3 too. Some game stopping bug in that zombie hotel.

Todd Howard, you've done it again.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III