M1 Pro 10-core SoC pips M1 Max to head PassMark's desktop and laptop CPU single-thread performance charts as Apple Silicon secures top four places

Spindel

Summary

Below is the desktop charts

Desktop71.jpeg.e1ed0b40981fa0617fda544b68a701e0.jpeg

And then the laptop charts

Laptop.jpeg.313a0add3efdb051603c96efc0789a0b.jpeg

Quotes

To rub salt into the wound, the original Apple M1 only fell from first place to fourth, meaning all top four positions belong to Apple Silicon. It’s a not entirely unexpected situation, with Apple building upon the success of the M1’s Firestorm and Icestorm core microarchitecture

My thoughts

While Intels Alder Lake might (and most probably will) dethrone the AS offerings it still must be noted that the M1 does this at a fraction of the power draw of the competition and as it seems Alder Lake will not do this at 6 W. 

Sources

https://www.notebookcheck.net/M1-Pro-10-core-SoC-pips-M1-Max-to-head-PassMark-s-desktop-and-laptop-CPU-single-thread-performance-charts-as-Apple-Silicon-secures-top-four-places.576692.0.html

I wonder why they M1's are in Mhz, while the others are in Ghz

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

not impressive imo since last gen m1 is really close

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

8 minutes ago, mahyar said:

,,,,it's the same gen.  You can tell because they all three have a "1" in the name... the next gen will have a "2".

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

I guess the variation between the various M1 models is just quality of silicon? Since they're all single thread tests, they'd all theoretically be similar, right?

HUh, wonder why the M1 Pro is above the M1 max. I doubt it's due to the temps.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

31 minutes ago, mahyar said:

It should be, it's the same actual CPU cores just less of them and this is a single thread graph. I'd be more concerned if they weren't so similar. It's basically why the MacBook Air with the M1 is such a great device for the price.

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

I wonder why they M1's are in Mhz, while the others are in Ghz

and why the Intel chips are locked at base clock and no allowed to boost and AMD aren't even given a speed at all? seems pretty disingenuous as a benchmark.

the M1 chips are impressive, but dont gimp what you're comparing them to

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

and why the Intel chips are locked at base clock and no allowed to boost and AMD aren't even given a speed at all? seems pretty disingenuous as a benchmark.

the M1 chips are impressive, but dont gimp what you're comparing them to

That's basically just the CPU spec report not that actual running frequencies, just the long title name of the CPU. Passmark isn't the greatest benchmark, the scoring can be weird, but the CPUs boost etc during it.

Played around with it way back years ago, wasn't impressed. From memory the sub test themselves that get run were mostly fine.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Oh, I wasn't assuming technical things, but marketing, wondering why one went with one vs the other..

31 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

HUh, wonder why the M1 Pro is above the M1 max. I doubt it's due to the temps.

Yeah, that's why I was speculating it's silicon draw of the individiual units, since it's just 17 whatsit units difference, which I assume is a meaningless ammount.

Just now, Video Beagle said:

but marketing, wondering why one went with one vs the other..

just basic marketing.

3200xx looks better than 3.2xx even if they mean the same thing.

it's why you will find that a lot of prices in store will be something like $19.99 instead of $20.00 purely because people only look at the number that fits their understanding regardless of it's actual meaning

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it's why you will find that a lot of prices in store will be something like $19.99 instead of $20.00 purely because people only look at the number that fits their understanding regardless of it's actual meaning

If you watch a lot of Donut Media videos then you'll know 29.98 is a lot less than 30 😆

50 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It should be, it's the same actual CPU cores just less of them and this is a single thread graph. I'd be more concerned if they weren't so similar. It's basically why the MacBook Air with the M1 is such a great device for the price.

I'm not saying that m1 pro is a bad chip

What i'm saying is that the only difference between this gen and last gen is the number of core otherwise its the same silicon 

which now that i think about it, seems like what intel was doing in the past few years

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

26 minutes ago, mahyar said:

What i'm saying is that the only difference between this gen and last gen is the number of core otherwise its the same silicon 

which now that i think about it, seems like what intel was doing in the past few years

There is no "this gen and last gen". It's all same generation. M1. New generation will be M2 when it comes out, probably next year in fall.

M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max is like saying Intel Core i5 (M1), Core i7 (M1 Pro) and Core i9 (M1 Max). It's all same generation, just different segments within same generation. They just launched them 1 year apart.

Cool? I mean, I get why the performance is amazing, but I wonder if these comparisons really even matter. How many people are really going to switch from a Windows based machine and workflow to a Mac one? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

32 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Cool? I mean, I get why the performance is amazing, but I wonder if these comparisons really even matter. How many people are really going to switch from a Windows based machine and workflow to a Mac one? 

Not too many, at least not right now, but this is an illustration of how much things have changed. Apple has laptop chips that outperform high-end desktop parts in single-threaded performance while consuming less power. Now, I'd like to see the multithreaded performance (the PassMark site doesn't help much), but other benchmarks suggest Apple is sitting pretty.

Right now, the biggest challenge is simply getting developers to write Apple Silicon-native versions of apps. If they can do that for a given tool, the MacBook Pro becomes much more compelling. From what I've seen so far, Apple already has a pretty strong case for switching if you're an audio or visual editor, even if you have no inclination to use Final Cut Pro or Logic.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Actually a lot. I'll be curious to see the market shares next year but I can definitely anticipate a lot of changes. Programmers for instance would be happy to switch to MacOS since it's way closer to the Unix world. I was hesitant last year but more and more tools are being officially ported like Docker. AWS has now released M1-based VMs and the list goes on. As a developer myself I'm seeing so many things changing since the M1 launch last year, which can only meanbthat the community is changing. Unless you are using proprietary Windows technologies, there's nothing keeping you on Windows.

The same can be said with video editors as I'm seeing more and more people considering dumping their high end editing session or at least actually using it less than they used to since last year.

22 minutes ago, Commodus said:

if you're an audio or visual editor, even if you have no inclination to use Final Cut Pro or Logic.

Rn apple is a terrible option for Audio work and also visual work since a lot of the hardware straight up does not function under m1 yet (or ever will). These are pieces of hardware you buy once in a decade or so and not something as easily replaceable as a mouse. My 5 year old wacom tablet for example just straight up doesn't work with the official drivers. Same for my uncles dj hardware it just does not work at all and probably never will. Which is a huge loss because unless you are made of money you won't buy these tools again in such a short period of time. Even then so many tools are a one of a kind thing or artists swear by them.

Lots of audio stuff is still from the firewire days that is used to this day and m1 (and rosetta) flat out broke compatibility with almost all.

So right now these devices are horrorshows for older already established creators whilst they are great new tools for people starting. It's a double edged sword and leaves a sour taste in peoples mouth.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Rn apple is a terrible option for Audio work and also visual work since a lot of the hardware straight up does not function under m1 yet (or ever will). These are pieces of hardware you buy once in a decade or so and not something as easily replaceable as a mouse. My 5 year old wacom tablet for example just straight up doesn't work with the official drivers. Same for my uncles dj hardware it just does not work at all and probably never will. Which is a huge loss because unless you are made of money you won't buy these tools again in such a short period of time. Even then so many tools are a one of a kind thing or artists swear by them.

Lots of audio stuff is still from the firewire days that is used to this day and m1 (and rosetta) flat out broke compatibility with almost all.

So right now these devices are horrorshows for older already established creators whilst they are great new tools for people starting. It's a double edged sword and leaves a sour taste in peoples mouth.

I do appreciate some of the hardware issues, but at the same time... Apple hasn't sold a FireWire-capable MacBook Pro since mid-2012. It's not going to keep an Intel model around (or pour its resources into driver support) for the handful of people who would really like to keep their FireWire gear around a year or two longer. If you can justify buying a new Mac for your job, you can likely either look for a clearance/refurb Intel model or snag updated equipment alongside an Apple Silicon system.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

I wonder if a $7 dongle paired with a USB-C to USB-A adapter would work?

https://www.amazon.com/EarlyBirdSavings-Firewire-Adaptor-Converter-Connector/dp/B008XYG4KA

6 hours ago, mahyar said:

It's not really different generations though, it's just two different sized SoC's of the same generation.

9 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I guess the variation between the various M1 models is just quality of silicon? Since they're all single thread tests, they'd all theoretically be similar, right?

I'd say the difference could also be down to thermals. 

M1 Max could be in a 14" in a warm room while the M1 Pro is in the 16" with the AC blasting.

Or the M1 Max could have been tested just after another heavy load and is still running warm

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

I do appreciate some of the hardware issues, but at the same time... Apple hasn't sold a FireWire-capable MacBook Pro since mid-2012. It's not going to keep an Intel model around (or pour its resources into driver support) for the handful of people who would really like to keep their FireWire gear around a year or two longer. If you can justify buying a new Mac for your job, you can likely either look for a clearance/refurb Intel model or snag updated equipment alongside an Apple Silicon system.

This isn't a handfull of people these are entire studios built around the gear. Thing with audio stuff is that it doesn't really age much in terms of usefulness. Firewire to thunderbolt was easy enough and worked. Either way m1 is not usable for those people.

Also my cintiq 13hd is a recent thing not firewire and doesn't work with official wacom drivers. There is a workaround but its well bad at best. Multiple huion, xppen,... tablets straight up don't work and are only a few years old.